Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Claudia
Billy Spleen
n00b: bunny
Instrument 1: guitar

Re: Tom new official guitarist ?

Post by Claudia »

I'm guessing he's the same as Jason White is for Green Day.
Amys n00b and Philis grandn00b
jsd2
Bunkface

Post by jsd2 »

didn't deryck say something along the lines of the new album being more intense, bigger, and filled with more guitar parts???? (tom, anyone?)
deryck's been liking tom's guitar skills lately, and everyone knows that tom can handle more than deryck can on guitar.
underclass > deryck recorded all guitar parts. you may see a shift in recording for the new album.

or maybe not
d4rkst4r
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Kevin

Post by d4rkst4r »

jsd2 wrote:didn't deryck say something along the lines of the new album being more intense, bigger, and filled with more guitar parts???? (tom, anyone?)
deryck's been liking tom's guitar skills lately, and everyone knows that tom can handle more than deryck can on guitar.
underclass > deryck recorded all guitar parts. you may see a shift in recording for the new album.

or maybe not
but toms not writing anything, thats also why tom hasnt apearred in any of the studio vids
tomhoppus is my hero.
peacock181
Billy Spleen
First name: Ryan

Post by peacock181 »

doesthis mean he will be on the record and get credited ect and involved in the wriing proccess ect

or is he just liek jason in green day
Heart Like A Hand Greanade
jsd2
Bunkface

Post by jsd2 »

d4rkst4r wrote:
jsd2 wrote:didn't deryck say something along the lines of the new album being more intense, bigger, and filled with more guitar parts???? (tom, anyone?)

or maybe not
but toms not writing anything, thats also why tom hasnt apearred in any of the studio vids

i totally agree with you, which makes me think back to when dave left the band, deryck kept saying that dave had very little input and that he wrote everything that dave played.

dave started into the band before it became big, so he was naturally accepted by any and all fans.
deryck realizes because of the bands status that fans won't pull tom in so easily, so he's extremely cautious with him.
Also, Dave's paycheck nowadays gets split 3 way (with a tiny cut for tom). The trio must like it that way, no?
Tom, or his manager, will probably ask for an equal role in the not too distant future if he's to continue his efforts in the band.
Last edited by jsd2 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Charley
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

i think they should get tom in on the process, sum needs fresh ideas.

And, Dave is a little bitch.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

I agree that Tom is a great guitarist and could absoluteley add some cool stuff. And if he actually is an official member now it doesn't have too mean that all doors for Dave's return are closed. It is possible to have more than two guitarists.
Susanne
Goon

Post by Susanne »

I'm a little confused. So he's not an official member (at least not now), right? Or is he? Like I said I'm confused..
spreyye
Bunkface
First name: Henrik

Post by spreyye »

Nic wrote:This means if Dave ever want's to join, it might become an issue. :confusion:
Well the thing is even if Dave wants to join its not sure Sum 41 want him back, I'm pretty sure its some other stuff behind him leaving the band, than just the music.. and agree Dave fits far better as backup singer and guitarist in sum 41.
upperclasszero
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Jake
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by upperclasszero »

Emil wrote:I agree that Tom is a great guitarist and could absoluteley add some cool stuff. And if he actually is an official member now it doesn't have too mean that all doors for Dave's return are closed. It is possible to have more than two guitarists.
I'm almost 100 percent sure they wouldn't have three people playing guitar on stage
Children of the beast embrace,
To scorn and the human race,
Consume the light that hugs the earth,
And aid the womb in giving birth,
To a group that will appear,
And guide you through this final year,
The dark armies then will come,
When the sum is 41

WillySpleen is my n00b
Sara
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Sara
Instrument 1: Acoustic.. kinda.
Instrument 2: Bass.. sorta.

Post by Sara »

Why aren't I happy about this..? :confused:
I've thought about this before, and imagined it and thought I'd be really happy. But when it actually happens.. I'm not too happy about this at all.
Last.fm sig cause I'm not creative. =)
spider-man
Hooch

Post by spider-man »

upperclasszero wrote:
Emil wrote:I agree that Tom is a great guitarist and could absoluteley add some cool stuff. And if he actually is an official member now it doesn't have too mean that all doors for Dave's return are closed. It is possible to have more than two guitarists.
I'm almost 100 percent sure they wouldn't have three people playing guitar on stage

hah it would only be 2 anyway, cause deryck hardly even plays live, unless you count a chours here and there. I don't even know why he has his guitar on him half the time.
ReemFTW
All Killer No Filler
First name: Reem

Post by ReemFTW »

I, for some reason, have enver liked Tom. HE DOESN'T FIT IN! I... I dunno. And zian's right. His voice is too loud and high-pitched. Duuude I just don't like himmmmm.
They just don't seem like Sum 41 with him :(
I know it's unfair to judge by just looking at him, but they're gonna change :( Not in the mood.
*best signature in the world*
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

upperclasszero wrote:
Why not? Bad Religion has three guitarists and a singer onstage. From the beginning there was only two but one of them left and they replaced him and then he came back and they kept the new guy too. And they are awesome live.
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

i wouldn't really mind. he would provide better guitar parts on future albums. i like Gob a lot but they really only have about 2 solid albums. i own all of them and enjoy them but all the albums before foot and mouth each have about 3 songs worth listening to.

just my opinion.
V
Administrator
Administrator
First name: V
Instrument 2: Hero
Last.fm Username: valenzine
Twitter: valenzine

Post by V »

I wouldn't like Tom to become a fourth member.
Don't try to kill a mockingbird, they're the fucking mafia of the animal kingdom.
upperclasszero
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Jake
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by upperclasszero »

spider-man wrote:
upperclasszero wrote:

hah it would only be 2 anyway, cause deryck hardly even plays live, unless you count a chours here and there. I don't even know why he has his guitar on him half the time.
this is true
Children of the beast embrace,
To scorn and the human race,
Consume the light that hugs the earth,
And aid the womb in giving birth,
To a group that will appear,
And guide you through this final year,
The dark armies then will come,
When the sum is 41

WillySpleen is my n00b
rockindrummer41
Billy Spleen
First name: Kevin
PSN ID: bb08kk
Instrument 1: drums

Post by rockindrummer41 »

Miss Cindy wrote:
Nic wrote:This means if Dave ever want's to join, it might become an issue. :confusion:
Who cares? The guy quit the band. He left Sum 41, and because of that, shouldn't be able to come back. His leaving let the band down, and probably is part of the reason it took them so long to make a new album between Chuck and Underclass Hero. I don't know the story myself, and I know he's a cool guy, but to me, it's just stupid of him to quit and then want to come back ever.
Well think about blink-182. I don't know the full story, but when Mark was "gone" they just basically used a different name, Box Car Racer, while having two more people. Then Tom left and the "majority" of blink became +44. So, even though it's a little different, it isn't entirely different.

Also, it isn't fair that Sum 41 can just say "no" to Dave returning, because he was with them from another high school band up to Chuck, (4 albums).Even though logistically it might not work out easily or at all, but it is not completely fair to not try/let Dave back.
V
Administrator
Administrator
First name: V
Instrument 2: Hero
Last.fm Username: valenzine
Twitter: valenzine

Post by V »

rockindrummer41 wrote: Well think about blink-182. I don't know the full story, but when Mark was "gone" they just basically used a different name, Box Car Racer, while having two more people. Then Tom left and the "majority" of blink became +44. So, even though it's a little different, it isn't entirely different.
Yeah, awesome. But that never happened.

Mark never left blink or whatever. They took a break (they didn't break up) and Tom decided to work on a particular music style and when he was halfway through instead of getting a studio drummer he just asked Travis to work with him.
Box Car Racer was a side-project from two members of the band Blink-182, featuring guitarist Tom DeLonge and drummer Travis Barker. DeLonge formed Box Car Racer to experiment with and record ideas he felt were not "Blink-friendly", along with Travis Barker. David Kennedy from Hazen Street completed the trio and an eponymous album was ready to be recorded. Tom was insistent on a bass player, so he hired Anthony Celestino who was Kennedy's friend.
Don't try to kill a mockingbird, they're the fucking mafia of the animal kingdom.
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

V wrote:
rockindrummer41 wrote: Well think about blink-182. I don't know the full story, but when Mark was "gone" they just basically used a different name, Box Car Racer, while having two more people. Then Tom left and the "majority" of blink became +44. So, even though it's a little different, it isn't entirely different.
Yeah, awesome. But that never happened.

Mark never left blink or whatever. They took a break (they didn't break up) and Tom decided to work on a particular music style and when he was halfway through instead of getting a studio drummer he just asked Travis to work with him.
Box Car Racer was a side-project from two members of the band Blink-182, featuring guitarist Tom DeLonge and drummer Travis Barker. DeLonge formed Box Car Racer to experiment with and record ideas he felt were not "Blink-friendly", along with Travis Barker. David Kennedy from Hazen Street completed the trio and an eponymous album was ready to be recorded. Tom was insistent on a bass player, so he hired Anthony Celestino who was Kennedy's friend.
haha exactly. his post was just a fail.