Sum 41 - tools and equipment in the recording studio

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Andy_Wiser
First name: Andrea

Sum 41 - tools and equipment in the recording studio

Post by Andy_Wiser »

Does anybody know about equipment , guitars, amp that sum used to record their albums?

I'm pretty sure the bass is pretty much a fender precision + ampeg amplifier in all their records,
but the sound of guitars is changin a lot record by record.

These are just some things that i guessed listening, but my idea is pretty much this:

Half hour of power/all killer no filler: The guitars used are pretty much humbuckin guitars, such as gibson les pauls, p.r.s. (i've seen dave playing some) and the amps must be marshall and mesa boogie

does this look infected?: the sound of the guitars is a lot darker and more mid-range, i guess the guitars are all humbuckin, such as les pauls, sg, prs or similar...the amps, they seem to sound like Mesa boogie, Peavy or Line 6

Chuck: It seems to be the more various record, talking about guitar recording...sure they have lots of humbuckin guitars, but sound of coils is coming in (pieces intro is clearly a single coil guitar, such as a telecaster), I'm sure about hearing Mesa Boogie amps

Underclass Hero: The sound of the guitar is lighter then the other sum records, it seems that deryck used the telecaster for the whole guitar parts, the massive guitar sound may look like humbuckin, but it could be pumped with some kick ass amps, eq and compressor !

Any of you think/knows somethin?
HilgaMan
Chuck
First name: Ilkka
AKA: TheSexyHilgaMonster
Instrument 1: Guitar

Re: Sum 41 - tools and equipment in the recording studio

Post by HilgaMan »

I don't know anything else but I remember Deryck using a Gibson (?) SG on making of Underclass Hero.
Hentaimans N00B! Mess with me and before you know it, you end up in a coffin. Jealous?
Sumfan is my n00b.
hem is my grand-n00b.
burnout

Post by burnout »

yeah for underclass hero he used several guitars from les pauls to telecasters. Also a couple different guitars for the same song...probably got slightly different tones and "attitude" as deryck put it.
Gibsum 41
Underclass Hero
AKA: Gib
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by Gibsum 41 »

I'm pretty ure he used a Les Paul Junior in some songs. Not only have we seen pictures of him with that guitar but the sound is pretty recognizable in some songs.

NoReason27 is my mastah.
Kano and Still Waiting are my official n00bs. Mess with them and before you know it you'll be working in Nickelodeon :twisted:
J-pan, xmarryxx and conspiracyof1000 are my grandn00bs and T. is my brothah
goonday41

Post by goonday41 »

i think i know my shit pretty well when it comes to this stuff, but idk what you really wanna know so do you have any specific questions?
d4rkst4r
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Kevin

Post by d4rkst4r »

deryck said he recorded underclass hero using lots of his old and very expense les paul guitars. he also bunch of new guitats ive havent seen before, go check out making of underclass hero again.
tomhoppus is my hero.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah in UH Deryck used like Les Pauls, SGs, Les Paul Juniors, Telecasters and much more. I know before UH Dave used a lot of different guitars like PRS, Gibson Explorers, Les Pauls and Flying Vs.