What Made You Want to Play?

Play guitar? Don't know tabs? We can help you out right here.
Jeremy Kill
What Made You Want to Play?

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Pretty simple. What made you want to play an insturment?

For me, I wanted to play guitar ever since I was little. When I was younger I would use a frying pan or a strainer with a handle (cause they had "strings") to use as makeshift guitars and I imagined I was in a rock band. Parents wouldn't drive me into a whole different city to take lessons, so I reluctantly took piano.

Basically I forgot about my fantasies to play guitar until I heard Good Charlotte's "The Click" aka the theme song to the cartoon tv show Undergrads.

I didn't actually buy a guitar until I watched Cross Your T's and Gouge Your I's and listened to Over My Head and Still Waiting over and over again.
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

First it was blink 182 who got me interested. and Sum put it over the top. for deeper reasons its coz i love playing, and its a good source of income if you make it. and i want to take care of my family.
dearyou_182
Dr. Dynamite
First name: RJ
n00b: God.
Location: I'll take out your garbage for you.....I'll start in my pants.

Post by dearyou_182 »

My cousin who was a blink freak.
I'm the tower, you're the airplane.
If we could sit together a moment
and talk forever just to pass the time
i would smile as the shivers and chills run down my spine
when your eyes are locked on mine
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Wow, I wish my dad would've bought me my first guitar instead of a piano.
pearl182

Post by pearl182 »

blink seems to be a huge influence to people. me too. as mark once said 'we're like fisher price, your first punk band!' i think thats true.

but ya listening to travis barker on drums really made me want them! and the fact that my friends wanted to start a band and needed a drummer. back then for our first practices i had to learn songs from tabs!! wow how dumb was I!!! i started guitar just to be able to play an instrument a bit smaller than drums. started off chords but im getting better
Rick
Jessica Kill

Post by Rick »

my dad had an old guitar from when he was a kid and i used to watch fred penner on tv and he would always go and get his guitar and play, i guess that kind of inspired me, but it just seemed like an interest i needed to get into.
http://searchwithsum41.prodege.com/?cmd ... &rb=143979
go there and sign up and win cool shit.
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

Sum 41.
Byzzy

Post by Byzzy »

smells like teen spirit by nirvana
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Rick. wrote:my dad had an old guitar from when he was a kid and i used to watch fred penner on tv and he would always go and get his guitar and play, i guess that kind of inspired me, but it just seemed like an interest i needed to get into.
You know, now that I think about it maybe Fred Penner made me want to play too! I used to watch that show all the time and found it cool how he had a little hiding place to do to in the woods or something.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

all grade sixes in my town are foced to be in the school band. that year i went from playing trumpet to trombone and then my cousin (who played tuba) persuaded me to play tuba aswell, i don't know why i was persuaded by him to, but i did. been playing tuba ever since.

also when i was little, my grandma had an old acoustic guitar. everytime i wen there i would pick it up and "play" but she allways took it from me telling me not to play it cause it was "broken" and couldn't be fixed. ONE STRING WAS BROKEN!!!! how much is it to buy acoustic guitar strings? not that much. i still wonder, if she never threw it out, would i being playing guitar today?

and because of that, i now want to play bass. i went to long and mcquade a few months ago and they had a bunch of guitars on display that you could pick up and plug in to an amp and play. i saw a blue one, but i can remember what it was, but i felt a connection between me and it. next time i got to regina, i want to go there and maybe, possibly see if i can get somesort of beginners package.

EDIT: this is it!

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?Pro ... ctionID=12

except it was a navy-ish blue.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Bass Cone
Underclass Hero
First name: Brittany
Instrument 1: French Horn
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Guitar

Post by Bass Cone »

I wanted to play trumpet in the school band because my mom knew how to play and I had her old trumpet. I was only in 4th grade, so I didn't make a decision to play by myself, but it's a pretty col instrument.

I wanted to play bass after listening to Sum 41 songs, watching their music videos, and then I went to their concert and Cone looked like he was having a lot of fun. So, really, Cone inspired me because I kind of look up to him.
Brownmetal
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeffrey

Post by Brownmetal »

I saw how much passion Dave put into playing guitar, and i wanted to play guitar from there.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip

Post by Hentaiman »

For me, its a lot of things.
First of all, i always wanted to play in a band, and me and my friends had this idea of a band, where i originally was supposed to be a drummer, but my parents wouldn't agree on drums, cuz its too loud or something :?

Basically, since my blink era, and then watching Sum 41 with Dave and all, i got interested in guitar, and decided that if i can't be a drummer, i should start playing the guitar, and that's pretty much it :D

I'm still gonna learn playing drums, though, when i'll have the money and the place :lol:
kevz2kool
Bunkface
First name: Kevin
AKA: Jack...Jack MOMMA!!!

Post by kevz2kool »

for me, it was my uncle and cousin, they really got me into it, for xmas one year my parents bought me an aria strat, and i now play a fender standard strat, dave is my hero, without him, I wouldn't be playing half as much and as hard and as passionate as i am now.
The name is Jack...Jack Momma!

please help me 4 ever
budgie
Underclass Hero
Post by budgie »

dookie
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal

Post by fergal41 »

Does This Look Infected and and Pantera. I also owe a lot of my style of rhythm playing to System Of a Down . But when I used to watch Dave and Dimebag playing I knew I hadta get a guitar
AVA182b
Bunkface

Post by AVA182b »

In Too Deep solo. It isnt tht complicated but when i was younger i thought it was the sickest thing ever
Vani
Hooch
First name: Vani

Post by Vani »

It started when some of my friends used to bring their guitars and played it at school, and that made me want to play guitar too. I bought a acoustic guitar, but I never really playing it for two years. Then when I started to listening Sum 41, I interested in rock music and started to be more serious to play guitar, and made a band. And then my parent bought me an electric guitar.
I'm budgie's noob, and he made the sig :razz:
Deryck94

Post by Deryck94 »

Sum 41 =)
HilgaMan
Chuck
First name: Ilkka
AKA: TheSexyHilgaMonster

Post by HilgaMan »

Im just learning to play guitar. I have an acoustic. And I dont really know what made me wanna start... Maybe coz all the guitarist are so fuckin' COOL! :D haha. Especially Dave and Deryck \,,/
Hentaimans N00B! Mess with me and before you know it, you end up in a coffin. Jealous?
Sumfan is my n00b.
hem is my grand-n00b.