Sum 41 / 13 Voices discussion

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Lars
All Killer No Filler

Re: 13 Voices

Post by Lars »

Mr. Biz wrote:figured i would weigh in since there's a lot of wondering and confusion here. yes the info was leaked early which is why we came out with the info ourselves when we did. we did have a better plan to release it a time that made more sense but since some fuck head in russia decided to ruin that, it is what it is now. all i can say is don't believe everything you read online. that wiki page is false. plans have been forced to be changed and things are still being decided. the album still has final touches to be made on it, but i can promise you that you will hear something new very soon. my intention was to give the fans something to hear while we finish up the rest of the album. so if there is ever any info and it's not from any of our socials, it usually means it's not true and is not coming from us. stay tuned as there will be news coming.
Really appreciate this post, man.

I can see how this Russian dude fucked up the plan you guys had. Must have been shitty to see this got leaked.

Anyway: times like these are always kinda confusing to us. We're blood thirsty for some new info and music so we kinda started seeing 'signs' everywhere, haha.

We're all confident the new music is gonna be badass and we're looking forward to the official announcement. Good luck with the final touches, hope to hear you soon!
Mr. Biz
First name: Deryck

Post by Mr. Biz »

Lars wrote:
Mr. Biz wrote:figured i would weigh in since there's a lot of wondering and confusion here. yes the info was leaked early which is why we came out with the info ourselves when we did. we did have a better plan to release it a time that made more sense but since some fuck head in russia decided to ruin that, it is what it is now. all i can say is don't believe everything you read online. that wiki page is false. plans have been forced to be changed and things are still being decided. the album still has final touches to be made on it, but i can promise you that you will hear something new very soon. my intention was to give the fans something to hear while we finish up the rest of the album. so if there is ever any info and it's not from any of our socials, it usually means it's not true and is not coming from us. stay tuned as there will be news coming.
Really appreciate this post, man.

I can see how this Russian dude fucked up the plan you guys had. Must have been shitty to see this got leaked.

Anyway: times like these are always kinda confusing to us. We're blood thirsty for some new info and music so we kinda started seeing 'signs' everywhere, haha.

We're all confident the new music is gonna be badass and we're looking forward to the official announcement. Good luck with the final touches, hope to hear you soon!

i know it seems like it's taking a while. on our end it's not. because there's no time wasted or anyone just sitting around with music doing nothing. every day things are being worked on in order to get this out as soon as possible. sometimes we hit road blocks and set backs out of our control. and us putting the final touches on things are really only to make it the best it possibly can be, at least in our opinions. i felt bad that some of you were expecting music tomorrow and i didn't want you to be disappointed so i felt like i had to say something. you guys all have been so patient and so awesome, and i promise you it's on it's way! we're almost there. trust me.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Thanks D for taking the time to write and clarify the stuff, for worrying how we feel about new music, we now the new music will be a blast for our ears, just look the snippets from this albums the unknown songs, really we will wait.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Mr. Biz wrote:...only to make it the best it possibly can be, at least in our opinions.
Your opinions have worked more than well for the past albums, so I'm sure all of us agree you should keep doing it your way. :2cool4u:

Thanks for the input! Really looking forward to what you've come up with!
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

Mr. Biz wrote:i know it seems like it's taking a while. on our end it's not. because there's no time wasted or anyone just sitting around with music doing nothing. every day things are being worked on in order to get this out as soon as possible. sometimes we hit road blocks and set backs out of our control. and us putting the final touches on things are really only to make it the best it possibly can be, at least in our opinions. i felt bad that some of you were expecting music tomorrow and i didn't want you to be disappointed so i felt like i had to say something. you guys all have been so patient and so awesome, and i promise you it's on it's way! we're almost there. trust me.
Of course it takes a while, I believe all of us understand that. You just want to make the most perfect record possible and for me personally, it might take another five years (well uhm... make it four).

I got carried away a bit too much myself by the whole wikipedia-thing, but was sceptical as well. As you said: if it isn't on your social media, we can't take anything for granted. And that's actually the way it should be. A band should be able to share the info the want, the way and the moment they want to.

We're all aware a record takes a lot of time to make. We're just all so fucking excited because, as you said, new music isn't too far away at all.

Thanks again for your answer, I don't think we can thank you enough for clearing this up.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

And premiering a new song at the Warped Tour is your way of giving us something while we all await the finishing touches. It's really not that much of a wait from this supposed release date of tomorrow, that's for sure! So, you don't need to feel bad for a single thing! Speaking of that, Warped skipped Canada this year, but that doesn't mean I won't be celebrating a new song release from home! Haha. Judging from when I saw the Sums at your last full Warped tour in 2010, I can tell we're all in for an aweSUM summer ahead, and year! Safe travels embarking on your summer camp!
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Thanks for nipping the bud on the Wiki rumours, Deryck! I'm looking forward to the near future! I've just been listening to the Sum discography on shuffle at work in preparation for the new album, haha.
Mr. Biz
First name: Deryck

Post by Mr. Biz »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Thanks for nipping the bud on the Wiki rumours, Deryck! I'm looking forward to the near future! I've just been listening to the Sum discography on shuffle at work in preparation for the new album, haha.

sweet!!!
sumelf
Hooch
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by sumelf »

Hey guys, I'm from Russian fan site and yes we posted an info about the album first. We did so because a reliable news site published it. And we thought it was official. And wanted only to bring good news to everyone interested.

We are very sorry about what we did, please don't think we're assholes :(
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Hey Deryck

Thanks for the explanations. I can only imagine the work that's being done behind the curtains, it sucks that you guys had to change your plans because of the leak.

See you on the road !!
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

sumelf wrote:Hey guys, I'm from Russian fan site and yes we posted an info about the album first. We did so because a reliable news site published it. And we thought it was official. And wanted only to bring good news to everyone interested.

We are very sorry about what we did, please don't think we're assholes :(
I don't think he meant you guys, more likely the news site that published the information.
PTswim41
Billy Spleen
First name: Dan

Post by PTswim41 »

If you aren't excited enough already for the new album, this should help:

https://youtu.be/KSzIUktWxD8
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

Did the quick math with the lenghts of the songs (according to iTunes):

13 Voices will be about 40 minutes long.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Nice, I like that.I'm surprised that nobody's post the track length, but 40 minutes plus the bonus tracks I like it.
MetalMilition41
First name: Ed
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Drums
Instrument 3: Saxomophone
Twitter: Don't have that shit

Post by MetalMilition41 »

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHUtwaeDhNf/?hl=en

Designer of the 13 Voices artwork. He does stuff for A Day to Remember, Pierce the Veil, All Time Low and more.
Jeremy Kill
Re:

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Andros wrote:Nice, I like that.I'm surprised that nobody's post the track length, but 40 minutes plus the bonus tracks I like it.
I know this is late, and you've probably looked up the correct track times on Wikipedia, but I'll put this here in case. Also so other people can see it too.

This is how iTunes Canada has the track listing:

1. A Murder of Crows (3:04)
2. Goddamn I'm Dead Again (3:22)
3. Fake My Own Death (3:14)
4. Breaking the Chain (4:03)
5. There Will Be Blood (3:29)
6. 13 Voices (4:32)
7. War (3:29)
8. God Save Us All (Death to POP) (3:53)
9. The Fall and the Rise (3:09)
10. Twisted By Design (5:28)

I'm thinking if there are any slow songs/ballads that they're going to be the tracks that are over four minutes. Breaking the Chain seems like it's placed right in the spot where you'd have a slow song on an album, like with Some Say on Chuck.
dff_punk
Bunkface
Instrument 2: vocals
Last.fm Username: dff_punk
Twitter: dff_punk

Post by dff_punk »

Thing is, none of the titles sound like it's gonna be a ballad or something. All the killing, dying and blood really gives a heavy/fast vibe to all of them. But yeah, Breaking the Chain seems the closest to being a slow song, because of the placement, title and track time.

A Murder Of Crows apparently has some "bombastic" drums and is actually the shortest one on the album. Do you believe it's a fast punkish song(those are usually great to start an album with), or an epic-build up in the vein of Reason To Believe? I want to believe that it's both :)
Jeremy Kill
Re:

Post by Jeremy Kill »

dff_punk wrote:Thing is, none of the titles sound like it's gonna be a ballad or something. All the killing, dying and blood really gives a heavy/fast vibe to all of them. But yeah, Breaking the Chain seems the closest to being a slow song, because of the placement, title and track time.
It would be cool if 13 Voices was an evolved form of "Does This Look Infected?" with no slow songs, but considering how much the band has grown, especially Deryck as a songwriter, it would be strange to not have a slow song or two on the album.
dff_punk wrote:A Murder Of Crows apparently has some "bombastic" drums and is actually the shortest one on the album. Do you believe it's a fast punkish song(those are usually great to start an album with), or an epic-build up in the vein of Reason To Believe? I want to believe that it's both :)
I have a feeling it's going to be like Reason to Believe with a build-up. I felt like Reason to Believe was more like an intro track than a stand-alone song though, so I'm hoping A Murder of Crows can be a song like American Idiot where it sets the tone for the album, but you can also put it on a playlist in any order without thinking "this has to be the first track because of how it sounds." I hope that makes sense? Haha.
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

It would be cool if 13 Voices was an evolved form of "Does This Look Infected?" with no slow songs, but considering how much the band has grown, especially Deryck as a songwriter, it would be strange to not have a slow song or two on the album.
I disagree with this - I absolutely don't think that an album necessarily needs a slow song, as in a tender ballad or something, those can feel out of place too. But a slower tempo heavy song would fit in I think - like the one Deryck showed the Metallica-esque riff from in the preview.
dff_punk
Bunkface
Instrument 2: vocals
Last.fm Username: dff_punk
Twitter: dff_punk

Re: Re:

Post by dff_punk »

Jeremy Kill wrote: I have a feeling it's going to be like Reason to Believe with a build-up. I felt like Reason to Believe was more like an intro track than a stand-alone song though, so I'm hoping A Murder of Crows can be a song like American Idiot where it sets the tone for the album, but you can also put it on a playlist in any order without thinking "this has to be the first track because of how it sounds." I hope that makes sense? Haha.
Yeah I get it, I'd say you are essentially describing The Hell Song, and something in that vibe would be awesome, maybe with a more sinister twist because of the subject matter.