Guitar Pick up recommendations

Play guitar? Don't know tabs? We can help you out right here.
pescidavid
First name: David
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums
Instrument 3: Piano

Guitar Pick up recommendations

Post by pescidavid »

I've been playing guitar for quite a few years now but never got into the nitty gritty of the make up of guitars and perfecting ones tone. I use the fender mustang amp which I love because there are a lot of great presets out there. But I am interested in learning more about guitar hardware so I can master my sound a bit more. My guitar is an epiphone les paul custom.
The music I play is very much what you'd expect around here. Sum 41, Blink 182, Fall Out Boy, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday (you get the picture).
I really like the tones on Does this look infected and Chuck. Anyone have bridge pick up suggestions for this? Anyone know what Sum 41 used on some of their guitars or les pauls specifically even?
From what I've read I'm seeing a lot of sh-4 Jb suggestions elsewhere online.
Thank you!
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yeah, the JB is the best bet for that Sum 41 sound. It's the same pickup that Deryck has used in the past with some of his live guitars during the Does This Look Infected and Chuck eras. When it comes to Blink-182, I know Tom's guitars have used the Invader (early on, for the Strat) and then the Dirty Finger pickup (for the Gibson).

I have a few guitars with the JB and I really enjoy the sound. Granted, I don't have a lot of experience with any other pickups besides the stock ones, but the JB is affordable and well-rounded. Basically, if you do not own the SH-4, that should be the first one you try out.
Faeyaner
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Faeyaner »

I'm not into guitar parts etc., either, but the SH-4 seems to be like some kind of standard as it provides a fairly high output. And that's where you wanna go when you want that distorted sound you described.

I could also imagine some active pickups sounding sweet for a "Chuck" tone, but they're more for a metallish sound.
I also know that the Gibson BurstBucker goes well with LP-styled guitars, but they give you more a rock'n'roll vibe like from the 50-70's. Really like a bell and not too crunchy. I expect them to give you a great clean tone, but I don't know about the distorted sound.
have a try and test your knowledge:
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz33/quiz/ ... um-41-test
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...
Mr. Biz
First name: Deryck
Re: Guitar Pick up recommendations

Post by Mr. Biz »

definitely go with the sh 4. i've tried a shit ton of pick ups. they jb is the best all around pick up. if you're playing les pauls the other good one is the gibson burst bucker 3. but i would go with the jb because it covers a lot of styles and sounds. we've never used any active pickups. i wouldn't bother with them on any sum records. hope this helps. the sound of chuck is all jb's and burst buckers.
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

I absolutely love it when Deryck unexpectedly jumps on the forum and starts leaving comments. Really shows how dedicated and caring he is to the fans.

Yes I know this is completely off-topic, but I felt it had to be said lol
pescidavid
First name: David
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by pescidavid »

Mr. Biz wrote:definitely go with the sh 4. i've tried a shit ton of pick ups. they jb is the best all around pick up. if you're playing les pauls the other good one is the gibson burst bucker 3. but i would go with the jb because it covers a lot of styles and sounds. we've never used any active pickups. i wouldn't bother with them on any sum records. hope this helps. the sound of chuck is all jb's and burst buckers.
Well when you get a reply from the man himself I guess that settles it. Thank you so much Deryck! Also do you know when you are typing out a reply on here that you are about to make someones day?!?

*refreshes page
*Deryck replied
*Flatlines

Thanks again!
Mr. Biz
First name: Deryck

Post by Mr. Biz »

pescidavid wrote:
Mr. Biz wrote:definitely go with the sh 4. i've tried a shit ton of pick ups. they jb is the best all around pick up. if you're playing les pauls the other good one is the gibson burst bucker 3. but i would go with the jb because it covers a lot of styles and sounds. we've never used any active pickups. i wouldn't bother with them on any sum records. hope this helps. the sound of chuck is all jb's and burst buckers.
Well when you get a reply from the man himself I guess that settles it. Thank you so much Deryck! Also do you know when you are typing out a reply on here that you are about to make someones day?!?

*refreshes page
*Deryck replied
*Flatlines

Thanks again!
i guess all i think about is that i would really like to help. i've been helped the whole way with recording and mixing. i've been taught by the best. in fact it was the producer jerry finn who told me about the JB's. i asked him the exact same question that was asked. i wanted a great over all pick up and he told me to try that out and i've loved it ever since. it's what's in my tele's that i play live. and some of my studio les pauls. i love talking gear and am here to help as much as possible.