DERYCK HERE.

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
Mr. Biz
First name: Deryck
Re: Re:

Post by Mr. Biz »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
Mr. Biz wrote:
Lars wrote:So nice to hear from you, really appreciate your posts!

We're in for a heavier, more energetic record, aren't we? Let's say: we continue where Screaming Bloody Murder stopped?

I wish you all of the best for 2015, man.

Oh by the way: keep posting those music clips on Instagram. Love my boners that come with it.

Lars

haha. i can rest at night know i played a small part in your boners. i think you have a safe assessment on what the new record is shaping up to sound like. it has andsbm,chuck, dtli and as always, something a little bit new. hope that gives an idea of what to expect.
Yeah, I'm really enjoying the Instagram updates. There was some really cool stuff on Screaming Bloody Murder, like the first minute of the title track and the beginning of Skumfuk. I almost wish they could've been longer because I enjoyed the atmosphere of those songs. Screaming Bloody Murder is definitely my favourite incarnation of Sum 41 to date.

that's cool. sbm is m favourite to date as well. i think the new one will be somewhat of that mixed with dtli and chuck but also something new. i like those atmospheric stuff too. i've been experimenting with putting those kinds of sounds and styles mixed in actual songs instead of just little bits before and after songs. it's still early stages and a lot of experimenting.
Mr. Biz
Re: DERYCK HERE.

Post by Mr. Biz »

182sins wrote:
Mr. Biz wrote:
182sins wrote:Hey Deryck !

Nice to see you here, it's been a while !

I'm glad to know you're recovering well.

Since you're here, I have a question for you: I saw that you had a kemper profiler. Do you like it ? I bought one myself, but it hasn't shipped yet. I'm really interested in the sounds you had on SBM, could you please tell me what were your go-to amps for this album ?

Thanks !

See you soon I hope, and happy new year in advance.

Cyril
cool. i love talking about this kinda stuff. i love the kemper. i've put all my amp sounds in there. i can't wait to hear it live. it sounds pretty identical in the studio to the real things. i doubt you could tell the difference between the two. i'm experimenting using some live amps and over dubbing some lead sounds with the kemper. also i like the fact that i can mic up a couple of different amps, send it all to the kemper and profile that sound to use as one channel. i've already made my favourite amp combos. they're self explanatory. 1 is called ALL KILLER which is a dual rectifier with a 59 marshall plexi mixed. another is JESSICA KILL. that's my 72 modded marshall super bass head nicknamed "BEAST". i used that mostly for sbm. you can really hear it on reason to believe's heavy guitars, blood in my eyes choruses, and of course jessica kill. then i have one called THE JESTER. which is again my super bass but with different settings. and when i get back from the holidays i'm working on making the UNDERCLASS HERO profile. it's the chorus guitar sound. which is a marshall 800 and a diesel head combined. i didn't own an 800 when i recorded that song, i borrowed one from rob cavallo. i recently just bought an '83 marshall 800 on ebay. it showed up the day i left for xmas holiday. so when i get back i'm going to finish that profile. these sounds should kick ass live. i think these things are so groundbreaking and couldn't be better for people like me who have so many amps that can't be taken on tour. and that's only a few i've mentioned.
Thanks ! I actually saw the picture of your amps that you posted on instagram and I was curious about "the beast". Now I know !

Do you think you'll share those profiles on the kemper platform (or whatever it's called) ?

I'm thinking of buying some profiles made by some professional studios to get sounds close to what you had on SBM. I really like the sounds on UH too.

Oh have you tried the Divided by 13 amps ?? I heard some demos and they sound sweet ! They're based in California I think. I'll definitely buy the profiles of these amps (there are some good websites like theampfactory.com or soundside.de)

By the way, I don't now if you're interested or not, but I saw yesterday that kemper is going to release their long awaited footswitch. There's a waiting list apparently. Just wanted to let you know.

Thanks for your post, I love talking about that kind of stuff too !

Cyril
i looked at those sites. are those as good as the ones that come with kemper? are they worth paying for? i never thought about sharing some of my profiles. maybe one day.
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

I really don't know if they're worth paying for or if they're better than the stock profiles. From what I read it seems that some of those profiles are sometimes more live oriented or studio oriented. I'll definitely buy some amps from theampfactory and see how they perform, I'll let you know !

By the way is yours connected to a power amp or did you buy the powered version ?
Mr. Biz

Post by Mr. Biz »

182sins wrote:I really don't know if they're worth paying for or if they're better than the stock profiles. From what I read it seems that some of those profiles are sometimes more live oriented or studio oriented. I'll definitely buy some amps from theampfactory and see how they perform, I'll let you know !

By the way is yours connected to a power amp or did you buy the powered version ?

i have the unpowered version. if i ever need to power it i will use one of my marshalls as a power amp. but i doubt i will really need to.
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

Deryck I know it is VERY early in the songwriting process, but do you have any working titles you're willing to share us? Also congratulations on your engagement to Ari, that is very cool! She is pretty!
Mr. Biz

Post by Mr. Biz »

sprinks41 wrote:Deryck I know it is VERY early in the songwriting process, but do you have any working titles you're willing to share us? Also congratulations on your engagement to Ari, that is very cool! She is pretty!

no not yet. everything is just under working titles right now that don't really make much sense. i usually name them after movies and tv shows.
pbueddi

Post by pbueddi »

hi deryck,

2 questions. first, are you planning on self-releasing new material? or are you going to try to find a label? second, any chance of seeing either underclass or SBM on vinyl?

thanks for all you do. can't wait to hear some new music from one of my favorite song writers.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Mr. Biz wrote: no not yet. everything is just under working titles right now that don't really make much sense. i usually name them after movies and tv shows.
So, does this mean some current working titles are Family Guy, American Dad, or De Niro related? Haha, just kidding.

PS: It's really great to hear from you! I hope your stay in Canada was more than welcoming, except the cool weather, of course! I think you just missed the only sight of snow we've had for a while now (snow flurries!). Wishing you a wonderful New Year ahead.
jason_polaris
First name: Jason

Post by jason_polaris »

Happy New Years Deryck! It's great to hear from you. My name is Jason and I've been a huge fan of Sum 41 for the last 12 years. Sum 41 was one of the first rock bands I became a fan of, and your show in London ON in April 2005 was my very first rock show. This amazing show single handedly influenced my enjoyment of live music, and I've seen Sum 41 live twice since then. I also met Dave three times in 2012, and he's definitely one of the nicest people I've ever met. It was great to talk about Sum 41 with him, along with your trip to the Democratic Republic of the Congo. I was very worried about you last year, and I'm so happy and grateful to hear that your recovery has been progressing favorably over the last few months.

I've always admired how you're a multi-instrumentalist, and having grown up playing the piano you've been a huge influence for me. I think it's awesome how you've incorporated piano and keyboard into Sum 41's songs, yet still ensured that they are aggressive and mostly guitar driven. I have a few questions pertaining to this:

1. Which keyboards and pianos have you used in the studio, and which ones are your favorite for live performances? I grew up playing on a Yamaha piano, and I've enjoyed using the Yamaha PSR-1000 for recording.

2. Do you write the majority of your songs using a guitar, or are the majority of your songs written on a piano first and then transposed to guitar? Or some combination of both?

3. I'm impressed with your songwriting prolificacy. What are some tips you have against writer's block, aimed at improving songwriting prolificacy?

4. I realize that you're still in the songwriting process for the new album, although do you anticipate that there will be some piano and keyboard on the new songs?

I'm so stoked to hear that you're working on a new Sum 41 album. I wish you all the best for your this upcoming year and your continued recovery. From the song clips I've heard I'm sure the new Sum 41 album will be amazing :)
Kate41
First name: Kate

Post by Kate41 »

Hello Deryck! I living in war zone and everyday can be my last, but even in such conditions all I worry about it's stay alive to hear your new album .. so please hurry up and stay healthy always!

My questions is:

Do you plan to make any new covers? If yes, what songs it will be?

It's possible that you will make a song with any female singer or band in future? Who it can be?

Would you like to try yourself in movies again? What genre it might be? What the latest new movies you saw and like?

Happy New Year!
With very best regards,
Kate.
MiguelChubby
First name: Miguel
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: Miguelchubby

Post by MiguelChubby »

Hi, Deryck! How is it going?

I've been a fan of Sum 41 since I was 6. I started playing guitar two years ago and now I have your customized Squier Telecaster Guitar haha.

I've always wanted to see Sum 41 live but I was too young so I've never could. I was wondering if you could tell when you'll be touring again and if you would come to Spain.

Thanks for everything!
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

Glad to hear things are going well! Your instagram posts make my day, it's all super awesome to see you on social media.

Engineering is kicking my ass, that's for sure. First semester down, failed my programming course but that was expected (ask Jake). Between uni. and the various medical appointments I have for my back (I have a poor back too so I feel your pain on that front, ankylosing spondilitis isn't a fun time let me tell ya). I haven't been writing much myself which really bums me out.

What helps you get back in the writing saddle after dealing with writers block?
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

Gutter Dreams wrote:Engineering is kicking my ass, that's for sure. First semester down, failed my programming course but that was expected (ask Jake).
What the fuck did you do with all the knowledge that I gifted you?!
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

Jake wrote:
Gutter Dreams wrote:Engineering is kicking my ass, that's for sure. First semester down, failed my programming course but that was expected (ask Jake).
What the fuck did you do with all the knowledge that I gifted you?!
I'm getting a reread... the prof hated me because I had many a doctors appointments and I kept fainting in his class.
Mr. Biz

Post by Mr. Biz »

jason_polaris wrote:Happy New Years Deryck! It's great to hear from you. My name is Jason and I've been a huge fan of Sum 41 for the last 12 years. Sum 41 was one of the first rock bands I became a fan of, and your show in London ON in April 2005 was my very first rock show. This amazing show single handedly influenced my enjoyment of live music, and I've seen Sum 41 live twice since then. I also met Dave three times in 2012, and he's definitely one of the nicest people I've ever met. It was great to talk about Sum 41 with him, along with your trip to the Democratic Republic of the Congo. I was very worried about you last year, and I'm so happy and grateful to hear that your recovery has been progressing favorably over the last few months.

I've always admired how you're a multi-instrumentalist, and having grown up playing the piano you've been a huge influence for me. I think it's awesome how you've incorporated piano and keyboard into Sum 41's songs, yet still ensured that they are aggressive and mostly guitar driven. I have a few questions pertaining to this:

1. Which keyboards and pianos have you used in the studio, and which ones are your favorite for live performances? I grew up playing on a Yamaha piano, and I've enjoyed using the Yamaha PSR-1000 for recording.

2. Do you write the majority of your songs using a guitar, or are the majority of your songs written on a piano first and then transposed to guitar? Or some combination of both?

3. I'm impressed with your songwriting prolificacy. What are some tips you have against writer's block, aimed at improving songwriting prolificacy?

4. I realize that you're still in the songwriting process for the new album, although do you anticipate that there will be some piano and keyboard on the new songs?

I'm so stoked to hear that you're working on a new Sum 41 album. I wish you all the best for your this upcoming year and your continued recovery. From the song clips I've heard I'm sure the new Sum 41 album will be amazing :)

hello. my answers in CAPS.

1. Which keyboards and pianos have you used in the studio, and which ones are your favorite for live performances? I grew up playing on a Yamaha piano, and I've enjoyed using the Yamaha PSR-1000 for recording. I HAVE AN OLD ROLAND PHANTOM THAT I USE A LOT. I BOUGHT IT WHEN I FIRST STARTED INTRODUCING KEYS ON THE CHUCK ALBUM. MOSTLY I USE AN ORHESTRAL SOUND THAT YOU CAN HEAR IN PIECES. AND I ALSO USE A YAMAHA P300 A LOT IN THE STUDIO AND LIVE. BUT ALSO THERE'S A LOT OF GREAT PROGRAMS IN PRO TOOLS NOW THAT HAVE TONS OF GREAT PIANO AND KEYBOARD SOUNDS. REALLY CRAZY SOUNDS. I'M REALLY INTO THAT RIGHT NOW BECAUSE IT SOUNDS DIFFERENT THAN ANYTHING I'VE USED ON THE PAST RECORDS. SO IT WILL GIVE A DIFFERENT VIBE TO THIS NEW ALBUM.

2. Do you write the majority of your songs using a guitar, or are the majority of your songs written on a piano first and then transposed to guitar? Or some combination of both? I USUALLY START ON GUITAR BUT SOMETIMES I USE PIANO. MOSTLY GUITAR THOUGH. BUT FOR A SONG LIKE CRASH I WROTE IT ALL ON PIANO. AND I HAVE A SONG I'M WORKING ON NOW THAT IS ALL PIANO.

3. I'm impressed with your songwriting prolificacy. What are some tips you have against writer's block, aimed at improving songwriting prolificacy? ANYTIME YOU GET A BLOCK JUST WALK AWAY AND LEAVE IT ALONE. ANOTHER GOOD TIP IS TO TRY AND WRITE BULLSHIT SONGS IN 10 MIN. SET A TIMER. WRITE AN INTRO VERSE, AND CHORUS WITH LYRICS EVERY MORNING WITHIN THE FIRST HOUR OF WAKING UP. IT'S NOT SOMETHING YOU WILL PROBABLY USE. YOU CAN JUST WRITE ABOUT THE WEATHER IF YOU WANT. IT EXECRCISES THE BRAIN TO BE CREATIVE. THAT HELPS ME A LOT.

4. I realize that you're still in the songwriting process for the new album, although do you anticipate that there will be some piano and keyboard on the new songs? YES THERE WILL BE. I'VE BEEN USING PIANO AND KEYS SINCE CHUCK AND I THINK THERE'S GOING TO BE JUST AS MUCH ON THIS NEW ALBUM IF NOT MORE. I LIKE FINDING WAYS TO ADD INSTRUMENTS WITHOUT TAKING THE MUSIC AWAY FROM BEING A ROCKING BAND WITH LOTS OF GUITARS. IF YOU DO IT RIGHT YOU CAN ACTUALLY MAKE THE GUITARS SOUND BIGGER BY ADDING THE RIGHT SOUNDS UNDER THEM. I'VE FOUND A WAY TO DO IT THAT I QUITE LIKE RIGHT NOW.
Mr. Biz

Post by Mr. Biz »

Kate41 wrote:Hello Deryck! I living in war zone and everyday can be my last, but even in such conditions all I worry about it's stay alive to hear your new album .. so please hurry up and stay healthy always!

My questions is:

Do you plan to make any new covers? If yes, what songs it will be?

It's possible that you will make a song with any female singer or band in future? Who it can be?

Would you like to try yourself in movies again? What genre it might be? What the latest new movies you saw and like?

Happy New Year!
With very best regards,
Kate.
there's lots of great female singers and performers. i think hayley from paramore is really cool. and she has a "y" in the middle of her name. i like that. haha. as far as covers go, yeah we probably will. i have some recorded that are half done that maybe we will finish one day.
Mr. Biz

Post by Mr. Biz »

pbueddi wrote:hi deryck,

2 questions. first, are you planning on self-releasing new material? or are you going to try to find a label? second, any chance of seeing either underclass or SBM on vinyl?

thanks for all you do. can't wait to hear some new music from one of my favorite song writers.

right now i'm just focusing on writing the material. then i have to figure out how to record it and then release it. so i'm not really worrying about that stuff right now. just writing and demoing.
jason_polaris
First name: Jason

Post by jason_polaris »

Mr. Biz wrote:
jason_polaris wrote:Happy New Years Deryck! It's great to hear from you. My name is Jason and I've been a huge fan of Sum 41 for the last 12 years. Sum 41 was one of the first rock bands I became a fan of, and your show in London ON in April 2005 was my very first rock show. This amazing show single handedly influenced my enjoyment of live music, and I've seen Sum 41 live twice since then. I also met Dave three times in 2012, and he's definitely one of the nicest people I've ever met. It was great to talk about Sum 41 with him, along with your trip to the Democratic Republic of the Congo. I was very worried about you last year, and I'm so happy and grateful to hear that your recovery has been progressing favorably over the last few months.

hello. my answers in CAPS.

1. Which keyboards and pianos have you used in the studio, and which ones are your favorite for live performances? I grew up playing on a Yamaha piano, and I've enjoyed using the Yamaha PSR-1000 for recording. I HAVE AN OLD ROLAND PHANTOM THAT I USE A LOT. I BOUGHT IT WHEN I FIRST STARTED INTRODUCING KEYS ON THE CHUCK ALBUM. MOSTLY I USE AN ORHESTRAL SOUND THAT YOU CAN HEAR IN PIECES. AND I ALSO USE A YAMAHA P300 A LOT IN THE STUDIO AND LIVE. BUT ALSO THERE'S A LOT OF GREAT PROGRAMS IN PRO TOOLS NOW THAT HAVE TONS OF GREAT PIANO AND KEYBOARD SOUNDS. REALLY CRAZY SOUNDS. I'M REALLY INTO THAT RIGHT NOW BECAUSE IT SOUNDS DIFFERENT THAN ANYTHING I'VE USED ON THE PAST RECORDS. SO IT WILL GIVE A DIFFERENT VIBE TO THIS NEW ALBUM.

2. Do you write the majority of your songs using a guitar, or are the majority of your songs written on a piano first and then transposed to guitar? Or some combination of both? I USUALLY START ON GUITAR BUT SOMETIMES I USE PIANO. MOSTLY GUITAR THOUGH. BUT FOR A SONG LIKE CRASH I WROTE IT ALL ON PIANO. AND I HAVE A SONG I'M WORKING ON NOW THAT IS ALL PIANO.

3. I'm impressed with your songwriting prolificacy. What are some tips you have against writer's block, aimed at improving songwriting prolificacy? ANYTIME YOU GET A BLOCK JUST WALK AWAY AND LEAVE IT ALONE. ANOTHER GOOD TIP IS TO TRY AND WRITE BULLSHIT SONGS IN 10 MIN. SET A TIMER. WRITE AN INTRO VERSE, AND CHORUS WITH LYRICS EVERY MORNING WITHIN THE FIRST HOUR OF WAKING UP. IT'S NOT SOMETHING YOU WILL PROBABLY USE. YOU CAN JUST WRITE ABOUT THE WEATHER IF YOU WANT. IT EXECRCISES THE BRAIN TO BE CREATIVE. THAT HELPS ME A LOT.

4. I realize that you're still in the songwriting process for the new album, although do you anticipate that there will be some piano and keyboard on the new songs? YES THERE WILL BE. I'VE BEEN USING PIANO AND KEYS SINCE CHUCK AND I THINK THERE'S GOING TO BE JUST AS MUCH ON THIS NEW ALBUM IF NOT MORE. I LIKE FINDING WAYS TO ADD INSTRUMENTS WITHOUT TAKING THE MUSIC AWAY FROM BEING A ROCKING BAND WITH LOTS OF GUITARS. IF YOU DO IT RIGHT YOU CAN ACTUALLY MAKE THE GUITARS SOUND BIGGER BY ADDING THE RIGHT SOUNDS UNDER THEM. I'VE FOUND A WAY TO DO IT THAT I QUITE LIKE RIGHT NOW.
Thanks so much Deryck for taking the time to answer all of my questions in detail! I will definitely try using your tips against writer's block, which I'm sure will be helpful. Given that I've just used GarageBand for recording so far, I will also look into buying Pro Tools so that I can explore different keyboard sounds - this prospect sounds very fascinating. I wish you all the best for your health and happiness this upcoming year, along with all the best continuing work on the new Sum 41 album :glad:
maistoner41
First name: Maitane
Instrument 2: Voice
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: maistoner27

Post by maistoner41 »

Happy new year and Xmas Deryck! Is so nice to hear you're doin' ok, you have plans and everything for this year. I was really worry about you so that's a really good new!

I have to say your music has helped me a lot recently. I've lost an important person in my life and I also have health problems. When I listen to all your discography I always feel better and I forget all my problems, so I have to say thank you, thanks for your music, Bizzy!

We miss you in Spain, if you come here I will go wherever city you go. We are waiting for you here.

Lot of kisses Deryck, and keep on like that!
We won't be bought and sold, just like you!
I'm a walking disaster.
Imderrickjay
First name: Derrick

Post by Imderrickjay »

Hey deryck =) my name is Derrick haha

I don't really have a question but I just wanted to say when I heard about your condition in May I was heartbroken and scared I was gonna lose you, but hell did you prove me wrong. I saw a pic of you playing at a club in LA and you liked better then you've ever been. I just wanna say I couldn't be a prouder Sun 41 fan. You're a real inspiration and I knew I picked the right band to look up to growing up. You rock Deryck! Can't wait to hear the new material as well!