Playstation 4

Talk about anything related to games here: video games, board games, games passed down from your great great grandpa's dad, or any other type of game.

Moderators: Janet, Gutter Dreams

samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Playstation 4

Post by samueeL »

So, Sony presented PS4 last night. Looks damn good to me, what do you guys think?

Specs:

Click to view the fullsize image.https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-zQF- ... _specs.png[/imgwidth]

Controller:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i.imgur.com/16D0ils.jpg[/imgwidth]
- Share button
- Touch pad
- New sticks
- Headphone plug in
- Speaker/Mic?

There wasn't too much gameplay videos but Killzone: Shadow Fall looked great. They're probably gonna show more games on E3 and such. Also happy about 8gb's of DDR5 memory, should mean ram won't be problem even in the end of this upcoming console cycle.

There's also big social aspect to this console with cloud gaming and streaming your gameplay.
Some key features:
- You get to actually play the game while you download it. Downloading and installing happens in the background when you start playing the game.
- Your friend can take over your game from his/her ps3 if you have hard part and need help
- You can use ps vita to play ps4 games (Copied from nintendo)
- Stream your gameplay to other devices, your friends can watch you play and talk to you and such
- PS4 records the last 15 minutes of your gaming and you can upload it to net for others to view while you play
- You can turn PS4 off and continue game immediately from the same spot when you open it the next time

Some upcoming games:
- Killzone: Shadow Fall
- Diablo 3
- Infamous: Second Son
- New Final Fantasy
- Watch Dogs
- DriveClub (Makes of MotorStorm)
- Destiny (Bungie)
- Deep Down (Capcom)
- Quantic Dream's game (Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls)

No info about what Naughty Dog and Santa Monica are doing (Makers of Uncharted and God of War) so I'm sure we'll hear about those in the future!

I'm having hard time believing that Microsoft will top this, I'm seeing them going more towards Kinect. (I don't care about motion controlling at all)
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

Lol Diablo 3

Looks pretty cool though. I am liking Watch Dogs, just hope it will be on PC, because the PS4 will probably be like $800-1000 on release over here...

I hope the controller is a bit bigger, it always felt a bit small in the past for me.
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

I probably won't get on release day, I'll probably wait a few months or maybe a year
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

So when's it gonna come out ?
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Re:

Post by Mitchell »

Ardi41 wrote:So when's it gonna come out ?
The holidays, so late 2013, but probably not for us europeans :/
I'm definitely buying it in the first week of the release
samueeL
Finnish Flash

Post by samueeL »

Scoutaloo
First name: Rawr

Post by Scoutaloo »

Ooh, this happened. Looks pretty good, I see a few features that look very useful if they work correctly.

Also, pumped for the new Heavy Rain game. Plot was iffy toward the end, but the game was very enjoyable through and through, can't wait for a sequel-ish game.

It will be interesting to see how the Xbox 720 stacks up to this.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco

Re:

Post by Ardi41 »

Scoutaloo wrote:
Also, pumped for the new Heavy Rain game. Plot was iffy toward the end, but the game was very enjoyable through and through, can't wait for a sequel-ish game.
^this ! I am waiting for that game for such a long time now. I've heard it might come out in april, soo fingers crossed!
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

lemme know when there's news about the new Xbox
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

I probably won't get one for a while. Interested in the new Infamous though. Heavy Rain was pretty cool. I liked the atmosphere of the game, but the "sex scene level" was awkward, haha.
Druska
Resident Skumfuk

Re:

Post by Druska »

Gutter Dreams wrote:lemme know when there's news about the new Xbox
GTFO this is sony territory :winkwink:
Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

Post by Noreason757 »

ok, so i never had a ps3 but ive always wanted one but could never afford one untill now, i decided to wait cause of the ps4 announcement to see if it was backwards compatible cause if it was i would just get one of those, but its not so should i buy a ps3 and enjoy those games or cut my losses and wait for the ps4?
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Re:

Post by Mitchell »

Noreason757 wrote:ok, so i never had a ps3 but ive always wanted one but could never afford one untill now, i decided to wait cause of the ps4 announcement to see if it was backwards compatible cause if it was i would just get one of those, but its not so should i buy a ps3 and enjoy those games or cut my losses and wait for the ps4?
Definitely wait for the ps4 cause the ps3 will only last that much longer while the ps4 will remain relevant for another 10 years.
And it's a hell of a lot better of course
samueeL
Finnish Flash

Re: Playstation 4

Post by samueeL »

I have different opinion on that. PS4 will probably cost a lot in launch and the launch games are never that good. Can't think of any good PS3 launch games. If you get PS3 you get immediately access to huge amount of games(especially GREAT exclusive games) and they'll be cheap. I would definitely get ps3 now since they're really cheap and get ps4 in a few years after price drop. PS3 has some best games I have ever played.
Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

Post by Noreason757 »

so i took samueel's advice and i bought one, got the uncharted 3 game of the year bundle and heavy rain, and i downloaded little big planet 2 for free with my 1 month free playstation plus. i heard these games were good, are they?
samueeL
Finnish Flash

Re:

Post by samueeL »

Noreason757 wrote:so i took samueel's advice and i bought one, got the uncharted 3 game of the year bundle and heavy rain, and i downloaded little big planet 2 for free with my 1 month free playstation plus. i heard these games were good, are they?
Excellent choice of games! Definitely keep looking for exclusive games, like Infamous. Little big planet 2 is a lot of fun to play with someone on the same couch. It might look a bit childish at first but it's great platformer. Uncharted and Heavy Rain are out of this world, so so good.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco

Re:

Post by Ardi41 »

Noreason757 wrote:so i took samueel's advice and i bought one, got the uncharted 3 game of the year bundle and heavy rain, and i downloaded little big planet 2 for free with my 1 month free playstation plus. i heard these games were good, are they?
Very smart move ! Uncharted was the firt game I ever played on PS 3 and it blew me away. And Heavy Rain is one of the maybe the greatest game experience I ever had. ( I played the whole game with a few friends, it may seem odd but somehow that doubled the fun factor for all of us.)
Druska
Resident Skumfuk

Re:

Post by Druska »

Dunno about heavy rain, but the other two are fantastic , you should get the other two uncharteds too
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

GDDR5 RAM, please do not get that mixed with DDR5 (Which doesn't exist by the way). Graphical memory runs differently to normal PC memory most noticeably the voltage clocks.

Glad to see Sony using the x86-64 architecture, should mean developers won't have a hard time developing for it as they did with PS3's PowerPC setup. I can see the modding community getting hyped up about this.
[donate][/donate]
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Re:

Post by Jake »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:GDDR5 RAM, please do not get that mixed with DDR5 (Which doesn't exist by the way). Graphical memory runs differently to normal PC memory most noticeably the voltage clocks.

Glad to see Sony using the x86-64 architecture, should mean developers won't have a hard time developing for it as they did with PS3's PowerPC setup. I can see the modding community getting hyped up about this.
Using the standard PC/OS X architecture will do it some good. Would mean that pretty much any PC game that currently supports OpenGL (or any game that supports OS X or Linux) Will be easily ported to it.

Did they release any info on HDD specs? I've got a feeling that if you want to keep your entire downloaded library it's gotta at least be 1TB. That might let you store 40 games. I've heard of quite a few games that have now managed to fill a blu-ray disk. This will be what holds back developers now. As far as I am aware it's already been claimed as a (part of the) reason for the delayed release of Gran Turismo 5, and that several games had in fact filled a blu-ray disk. I know L.A. Noire filled one, and that wasn't even that visually astounding. That being said, I am unsure if PS3 games utilised the BDXL standard. I can see a new FF struggling to fit on one.

It still seems quite underpowered. The next nvidia card is boasting 3.5TFLOP/s with current general consumer level cards reaching 2.4 and AMDs latest is clocking 4.1, if my maths is correct. All this raving about an 8 core CPU is doing nothing. Even the most high end gaming can be done on two cores. Still very few even support 4 cores. 90% of a games processing will be done by the GPU. It's simply better at it.

GDDR5 is amazingly quick & almost no latency. I believe it can reach 25Gb/s bandwidth. Whereas DDR3 just about scrapes 17Gb/s.

My consumer advice, however? Save and buy a PC. Especially with (affordable) 4K screens just on the horizon.

CONSOLES NEED TO DIE. Or vastly improve. They are still going to be holding back games.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]