Summer in Europe - 2012 edition

All upcoming Sum 41 dates will be posted here. Post live reviews in here as well.

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: Summer in Europe - 2012 edition

Post by TomiT14 »

SumGeek wrote:
Rockgoere41 wrote:
asdfghjk they brought back What We're All About! (I think they *may* have played it a few nights ago, too but..) Crazy--I was just saying how they should bring it back! Would have loved to have been there for that one!
Yeah, they played it in Zurich aswell. I suggested that they would play the entire song, probably in place of P4P. Stevo almost kicked me out after that. :glad:
Rockgoere41
First name: Doro

Post by Rockgoere41 »

Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

TomiT14 wrote: Yeah, they played it in Zurich aswell. I suggested that they would play the entire song, probably in place of P4P. Stevo almost kicked me out after that. :glad:
Hahah we can only hope... What We're All About is one of my favourites by them, I'd have a fanboy freak out if they played the entire thing instead of Pain For Pleasure, but looks like it'll never happen :(
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Tyler. wrote:
TomiT14 wrote: Yeah, they played it in Zurich aswell. I suggested that they would play the entire song, probably in place of P4P. Stevo almost kicked me out after that. :glad:
Hahah we can only hope... What We're All About is one of my favourites by them, I'd have a fanboy freak out if they played the entire thing instead of Pain For Pleasure, but looks like it'll never happen :(
I think P4P is the one song they will never take off their setlist. Although I can't think of a show where they haven't played Fat Lip or The Hell Song.
fuck this signature nonsense
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Gregorovich wrote:
Tyler. wrote:
I think P4P is the one song they will never take off their setlist. Although I can't think of a show where they haven't played Fat Lip or The Hell Song.
They said the same thing aswell. It just wouldn't be a Sum 41 show without Fat Lip or The Hell Song or the other hits, so they have to play it no matter what (they do like playing them though). The only option to add more rare songs was to extend their setlist, and that's what they've been doing on this tour. Nice!
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Tyler. wrote:What We're All About is one of my favourites by them, I'd have a fanboy freak out if they played the entire thing instead of Pain For Pleasure, but looks like it'll never happen :(
Haha, as would I! Which is why I asked for the Sum 41 France interview if they'd ever play it again---Guess I got my answer, though.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

From some of the recent setlists I saw, including the Tillburg show, they haven't played P4P there, and it looks like on some shows on this tour they just finished with Back Where I Belong + Exit Song, which I think is a great way to finish the show really, Exit Song is a great closer, but then again, P4P is the traditional Sum 41 closer, so it's kinda weird to see the Sums walk off the stage without P4P.
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

I'd cry if I were to see them live and they wouldn't play Pain for Pleasure. :silly:
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

TomiT14 wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:
Tyler. wrote:
They said the same thing aswell. It just wouldn't be a Sum 41 show without Fat Lip or The Hell Song or the other hits, so they have to play it no matter what (they do like playing them though). The only option to add more rare songs was to extend their setlist, and that's what they've been doing on this tour. Nice!
I don't think Sum 41 are the best at playing a variety of setlists. Yeah, they've been playing a couple of interesting ones lately, but look at other bands. Green Day always drop more popular, newer songs such as Boulevard of Broken Dreams or American Idiot for much older songs from 1989-94 which 90% of the crowd don't know, just because they want to.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Gregorovich wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:
Tyler. wrote:
I don't think Sum 41 are the best at playing a variety of setlists. Yeah, they've been playing a couple of interesting ones lately, but look at other bands. Green Day always drop more popular, newer songs such as Boulevard of Broken Dreams or American Idiot for much older songs from 1989-94 which 90% of the crowd don't know, just because they want to.
Then again, you can't compare Green Day cuz they have more albums and more songs than the Sums, plus they play sets of like 3 hours, playing around 30 songs. And even if such a case, If I were to finally see Sum 41 live (which I hope will happen soon!), I would definitely want Fat Lip, Still Waiting, Hell Song or one of the more popular songs be there, even though when I watch live videos or listen to the Sums regularly, I almost never listen to these songs, and just interested in how other songs sound live, like stuff they brought back on this tour like Hyper Insomnia or CYLB, but when you go to a show you want all the hits to be there, of course, if there gonna be some oldies or rarities too, it's awesome... like the way A Day to Remember played on their previous US tour in 2011, where they did an acoustic set, a rarities set, then their regular set.
Stef
Walking Disaster
First name: Stef
Instrument 2: Drums

Post by Stef »

I'm really enjoyed that they play this older songs! It means they still know them and love them..

Some days it just gets so hard
And I don’t wanna slip away.
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Gregorovich wrote:I don't think Sum 41 are the best at playing a variety of setlists.
Of course they can't be yet. This is their first time ever when they are shuffling their setlists this much. Previous tours they've shuffled 1 or 2 songs, now it's like a half of the set.
Gregorovich wrote:Yeah, they've been playing a couple of interesting ones lately, but look at other bands. Green Day always drop more popular, newer songs such as Boulevard of Broken Dreams or American Idiot for much older songs from 1989-94 which 90% of the crowd don't know, just because they want to.
Just like Hentai said, Sum 41 has 75 songs (not counting B-sides), Green Day has 124 (excluding B-sides and the upcoming album). That's a huge difference. Also, Green Day has 30-song setlists, Sum 41 had 15 songs until this tour, which has 20-song sets.

Also, funny that you mention American Idiot and Boulevard, since I can't even remember when they haven't played those songs. Even on their latest show where they played only new unreleased songs, they also played only one older song, which was American Idiot. :glad:
But yeah, I get the point, they've dropped a lot of hits to play older songs, but Sum 41 has started to do just that. No songs from Underclass or Half Hour, they even gave up their baby, Metal Mayhem, to have more older songs in the set. I think they are doing a perfect job so far.

And Green Day doesn't play that many old not-singles. On their 21st Breakdown tour, they played 1-3 rare old songs per set. 3 songs on a 30-song setlist? That equals 2 songs on a 20-song setlist. Rhythms + Hyper-Insomnia, for example? No?
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

TomiT14 wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:I don't think Sum 41 are the best at playing a variety of setlists.
Of course they can't be yet. This is their first time ever when they are shuffling their setlists this much. Previous tours they've shuffled 1 or 2 songs, now it's like a half of the set.
Gregorovich wrote:Yeah, they've been playing a couple of interesting ones lately, but look at other bands. Green Day always drop more popular, newer songs such as Boulevard of Broken Dreams or American Idiot for much older songs from 1989-94 which 90% of the crowd don't know, just because they want to.
Just like Hentai said, Sum 41 has 75 songs (not counting B-sides), Green Day has 124 (excluding B-sides and the upcoming album). That's a huge difference. Also, Green Day has 30-song setlists, Sum 41 had 15 songs until this tour, which has 20-song sets.

Also, funny that you mention American Idiot and Boulevard, since I can't even remember when they haven't played those songs. Even on their latest show where they played only new unreleased songs, they also played only one older song, which was American Idiot. :glad:
But yeah, I get the point, they've dropped a lot of hits to play older songs, but Sum 41 has started to do just that. No songs from Underclass or Half Hour, they even gave up their baby, Metal Mayhem, to have more older songs in the set. I think they are doing a perfect job so far.

And Green Day doesn't play that many old not-singles. On their 21st Breakdown tour, they played 1-3 rare old songs per set. 3 songs on a 30-song setlist? That equals 2 songs on a 20-song setlist. Rhythms + Hyper-Insomnia, for example? No?
My point was that Green Day play maybe 2-3 songs from over 20 years ago, and about 4 others from Dookie which was 18 years ago, even though out of those most of the fans will only really know Basket Case and When I Come Around. Whereas the Sums took BIME off the setlist, in spite of it being the new single, because some fans might not know the words for it.
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Gregorovich wrote:My point was that Green Day play maybe 2-3 songs from over 20 years ago, and about 4 others from Dookie which was 18 years ago, even though out of those most of the fans will only really know Basket Case and When I Come Around. Whereas the Sums took BIME off the setlist, in spite of it being the new single, because some fans might not know the words for it.
You misunderstood my words. The lyrics were not the issue. I bet that majority of the fans in the crowd don't know the lyrics to In Too Deep or Fat Lip, still they are jumping their asses off during that song. But during Blood In My Eyes, crowd doesn't know how to relate to its up-and-down tempo, so they just stand there watching. It's not a jumping song, you can't have a moshpit during the verses, so the crowd just freezes. The band wants to see the crowd moving.

And I get your point, do you get mine? I'm trying to say that Sum 41 is doing the exact same thing as Green Day, but in a smaller scale of course, cause they are a smaller band. 75 songs vs. 125 songs, 20-song setlist vs. 30 songs. Green Day's playing 1-3 older rareties, Sum 41 is doing the same. I bet majority of the fans don't know Rhythms or Hyper-Insomnia at all. The only difference is, Sum 41 doesn't have 20-year-old songs, their oldest are only 12 years old.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

TomiT14 wrote:The only difference is, Sum 41 doesn't have 20-year-old songs, their oldest are only 12 years old.
That's kinda important though. The difference is that people get excited when Sum 41 play a song from 2001 other than In Too Deep or Fat Lip, while Green Day are always playing a variety of songs from 20+ years ago. The general point is that whereas Sum 41 stick to songs which the crowd will know, and it's rare to see them play songs like HIPC, other band like Green Day or Zebrahead or Rise Against wouldn't hesitate to mix up their setlists and sacrifice hits for shits. Like when I went to see Zebrahead a few months ago, I didn't care about not hearing the lead single from their new album, but I did enjoy The Set-Up and Mike Dexter is a God, Mike Dexter is a Role Model, Mike Dexter is an Asshole, which are the two most random songs to put into a setlist.

I'm just saying the Sums should mix it up a bit more, play more stuff which they haven't played in a while or stuff off their later albums which don't seem like likely choices (eg. who wouldn't wanna hear The Bitter End or The Jester live again?).
Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

Post by Noreason757 »

Gregorovich wrote: who wouldn't wanna hear The Bitter End or The Jester live again?).
THIS
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Gregorovich wrote:I'm just saying the Sums should mix it up a bit more, play more stuff which they haven't played in a while or stuff off their later albums which don't seem like likely choices (eg. who wouldn't wanna hear The Bitter End or The Jester live again?).
Well aren't they just doing that? :glad:

You wanted Bitter End and Jester, they chose Rhythms and Hyper. Both are rare songs they haven't played in a long time. They can't play them all at once, but they have just started to play those old songs, so I'm sure there will be more rareties than what we've already heard. They are shuffling their setlists from show to show already, so what do you mean they should shuffle it more? Green Day plays Basket Case, When I Come Around, Longview, American Idiot and all those great hits in their every show, so does Sum 41. GD has however thrown away some of their singles from Nimrod and Warning, but so has Sum 41 with Chuck, UH and SBM.

So, I still don't get your point. Can't say anything about Zebrahead or Rise Against, since I don't know them, but Sum 41 is doing the exact same thing than Green Day.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

TomiT14 wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:I'm just saying the Sums should mix it up a bit more, play more stuff which they haven't played in a while or stuff off their later albums which don't seem like likely choices (eg. who wouldn't wanna hear The Bitter End or The Jester live again?).

You wanted Bitter End and Jester, they chose Rhythms and Hyper. Both are rare songs they haven't played in a long time. They can't play them all at once, but they have just started to play those old songs, so I'm sure there will be more rareties than what we've already heard. They are shuffling their setlists from show to show already, so what do you mean they should shuffle it more? Green Day plays Basket Case, When I Come Around, Longview, American Idiot and all those great hits in their every show, so does Sum 41. GD has however thrown away some of their singles from Nimrod and Warning, but so has Sum 41 with Chuck, UH and SBM.

So, I still don't get your point. Can't say anything about Zebrahead or Rise Against, since I don't know them, but Sum 41 is doing the exact same thing than Green Day.
I'm meaning that it shouldn't be a surprise that Sum 41 change their setlist up a little now. Green Day DON'T play all those songs in every show - while they often play their hits, there aren't any I can think of which make it into every single setlist since (apart from 21CB, because they kinda have to play that on the 21CB tour). They've removed AI from the setlist in favour of other songs once or twice, as with BoBD, WTP, Minorty and several other singles. My point is that Sum 41 don't seem to be prepared to mix their setlists up more - HIPC and Rhythms weren't added in at the expense of any other songs - they've been playing the same setlist with a couple of extra songs. I'm not saying that's a bad thing (it's awesome), but they should really think about taking out songs like ITD, HS, SW etc. maybe just once in a while for a few shows to give some older or less-played songs a go if they're not prepared to extend their setlist time. Although I know there's no dropping Fat Lip or P4P - you said Stevo wasn't happy about a suggestion to drop that ^^ In effect, I'd really like to see the band ditch a couple of the song they're always playing (maybe not even singles like Mr A or MD) in favour of other stuff which hasn't seen the light of stage since release. Which is what they're doing with HIPC, but I mean they should do it MORE. Gah, I hope this clears it up...
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Gregorovich wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:

I'm meaning that it shouldn't be a surprise that Sum 41 change their setlist up a little now. Green Day DON'T play all those songs in every show - while they often play their hits, there aren't any I can think of which make it into every single setlist since (apart from 21CB, because they kinda have to play that on the 21CB tour). They've removed AI from the setlist in favour of other songs once or twice, as with BoBD, WTP, Minorty and several other singles. My point is that Sum 41 don't seem to be prepared to mix their setlists up more - HIPC and Rhythms weren't added in at the expense of any other songs - they've been playing the same setlist with a couple of extra songs. I'm not saying that's a bad thing (it's awesome), but they should really think about taking out songs like ITD, HS, SW etc. maybe just once in a while for a few shows to give some older or less-played songs a go if they're not prepared to extend their setlist time. Although I know there's no dropping Fat Lip or P4P - you said Stevo wasn't happy about a suggestion to drop that ^^ In effect, I'd really like to see the band ditch a couple of the song they're always playing (maybe not even singles like Mr A or MD) in favour of other stuff which hasn't seen the light of stage since release. Which is what they're doing with HIPC, but I mean they should do it MORE. Gah, I hope this clears it up...
In regards to the time. I don't believe they have a choice in the matter. They are given a time to finish up for.
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Gregorovich wrote:I'm meaning that it shouldn't be a surprise that Sum 41 change their setlist up a little now. Green Day DON'T play all those songs in every show - while they often play their hits, there aren't any I can think of which make it into every single setlist since (apart from 21CB, because they kinda have to play that on the 21CB tour). They've removed AI from the setlist in favour of other songs once or twice, as with BoBD, WTP, Minorty and several other singles. My point is that Sum 41 don't seem to be prepared to mix their setlists up more - HIPC and Rhythms weren't added in at the expense of any other songs - they've been playing the same setlist with a couple of extra songs. I'm not saying that's a bad thing (it's awesome), but they should really think about taking out songs like ITD, HS, SW etc. maybe just once in a while for a few shows to give some older or less-played songs a go if they're not prepared to extend their setlist time. Although I know there's no dropping Fat Lip or P4P - you said Stevo wasn't happy about a suggestion to drop that ^^ In effect, I'd really like to see the band ditch a couple of the song they're always playing (maybe not even singles like Mr A or MD) in favour of other stuff which hasn't seen the light of stage since release. Which is what they're doing with HIPC, but I mean they should do it MORE. Gah, I hope this clears it up...
Aaah, all those abbreviatons! :glad:
MD was the hardest, took a few seconds. :glad:

I'm just surprised that you're not happy with what the Sums are giving us. Afterall we talk about the band who played the exact same setlist with the exact same order every single night during their UH tour. They've come a long way since then, first changing a song here and there, then shuffling the order. And now they are adding songs that haven't been played AND extended their setlist from 15 to 20! And you're still saying they aren't doing enough? :glad:

It's like being nice to a kid and giving him/her candies for no reason, but he/she refuses to take them because there's not enough. Like, what the fuck? :glad:
Gregorovich wrote:HIPC and Rhythms weren't added in at the expense of any other songs
Underclass? Reason To Believe? Those two were played on every show, but not on this tour. And why drop more, Green Day doesn't drop much more per show.
Gregorovich wrote:if they're not prepared to extend their setlist time.
They just did? :glad: From 13-16 songs to 21-23 songs! That's not enough? What is? :glad:

My opinion? I would ditch all the singles and hits, just to have a setlist full of rareties. But the crowd doesn't consist of superfans, majority are just people who know the band from songs like Fat Lip, In Too Deep, Still Waiting and Hell Song. If the band decided to drop, let's say, 2 of those, the majority of the crowd would be very disappointed to hear only 2 "good" songs and 18 whatevers.

To be honest, after knowing this band for 10 years, I would have never believed they would bring back songs like Rhythms or What We're All About, or ANIC. Or Blessings or Hyper or fucking Billy Spleen. Yet they are doing just that! Like wow! I'm so happy, since I thought that was impossible for them! And then you're like "meh, could be better". :holyshit: