Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter, Twilight.

Any book worms here?

Moderators: Janet, Gutter Dreams

FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Re: Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter, Twilight.

Post by FuckT41182 »

Emil wrote:Tolkien hands down, everything about those books are so structured because he made that entire world and wrote out it's history ever since the beginning of times which means that everything has it's own explanation. Rowling is okay, but the HP books are for me largely ruined by the extremely cheesy ending of the last book, that ending belonged in an american tv-show, also the fact how she so obviously ripped of the Nazgûls for the dementors and the locket as the horcrux. That along with alot of logical loopholes, like how did they get to Hogwarts before the mugglers invented the locomotive and why don't they use one of their own devices?

As for Peter Jackson, he destroyed so many characters in the movie (Faramir, Denethor, Gimli, Legolas, hell, even Aragorn) I'm scared for what he might do with Hobbit, I wouldn't be surprised he kills Smaug by having Legolas firing an arrow in his ass.
Well, I liked the ending of HP 7, in my opinion it did make sense and it wasn't all that cheesy. And I got to admit that although many times when I watch a movie or read a book I would be totally content with killing off the main character(I really wanted Iron Man to die in The Avengers :P ), I would be unbelievably broken down if JK Rowling killed any one of the three main characters. As for the part of dementors, I don't think it's a complete rip-off, I would rather call it an inspiration, she created a whole new creature, there is nothing about Nazguls taking away your soul through your mouth. I have also felt like JK got inspired to create Neville by the character of Sam, but you couldn't say that they're completely the same. Therefore, for me, it is not a rip-off, it would be kind of stupid to rip-off two or three things and then create 7 books full of crazy shiz. :)

The logical loopholes, as you put it, can easily be explained, the wizards could've invented the locomotive way before muggles did, so it could be their own device, or it is mentioned in the books that when Hogwarts started, the 4 founding bitches(Gryffindor, Slytherin and the two other bitches who escaped from the kitchen) have constantly been looking for the students that they would like and then they would just take them to Hogwarts. There is many questions like you have on the internet, some of them can be answered through some hidden sentence in the books, or from some interview by JK, or her website. She's got a whole lot of information concerning HP books stored in her apartment, written down on paper.

To Peter Jackson, I don't think that he's done such a bad job, many directors would fail hard, he didn't. It is extremely hard to show the true nature of those characters when you are limited to a certain amount of length of the movie. For example, if he fucked up, then what did David Yates do ? Did he fuck up multiplied by 756892146598 ? :P
I also believe, like you, that we should've seen more of the friendship between Legolas and Gimli, something more of the dwarf's good heart and Legolas' love for nature and everything that is alive. But I got the character of Faramir and Aragorn from the movies pretty well, also Denethor.

You know, making a fantasy movie, there is a lot of things you can fuck up, most of all, it can look totally unnatural and stupid once you see it on the film, I mean, there are dwarves, elfs, talking trees and all kinds of shit, and Peter Jackson with his team made it beautiful and compelling. Also, I will say this and repeat it forever after, that apart from many who cannot do that, Peter Jackson managed to add some scenes that were not in the book but I believe that even Tolkien would like them and even consider putting them in the book. Like you bow to noone scene, that one was amazing.

And most of all, I do not mind when the movie and the book differ, I only mind it when the scenes in the book are great and the scenes in the movie are different and suck ass. Gimli, although not exactly the same as in the book, is one hell of a great character in the movies, and definitely the funniest of all. I love Gimli in the movie, and I love him in the books also.

Emil wrote:Yeah not ever one knows this but Arwen and Aragorn are related. And not in some vague way either but almost full blown incest way.
Arwen is the daughter of Elrond; and Aragorn is descended in (more or less) direct line from Elros, Elrond's brother. However, this line of Kings by which Aragorn is seperated from his ancestor also was several millenia long, so they are far from being related by blood.
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

FuckT41182 wrote:
Druska wrote:The difference between tolkien and Jk Rowling? easy Harry Potter was originally written as a children book(doesn't mena it can be enjoyed by adults too).
I've read them both, well i've read Rowling in english and tolkien in spanish, I like the LOTR but when it comes to the potter saga, which is hands down my favourite saga, I cannot be impartial besides though I like Tolkien's style sometimes I get bored with soooooo many descriptions.
As for twilight, meah the first book was ok, the others are crap,
Try reading it in English, it's amazing, it's amazing how you can get who is saying the line that you're reading without being told by Tolkien. Especially the scenes with Frodo and Sam.

I myself have been a great fan of Harry Potter for my entire life, the books were with me through my childhood and I love them, but after reading Tolkien I gotta admit that he was the greater writer, his skill almost cannot be measured, imho.
Yeah now that you mention it, I think one of my teachers said that one of the problems he had when translating(Yeah he's the one who translated the LOTR in catalan) is that every character has a way of speaking, that and the fact we have this kind of "courtesy language", if you have any notion of french you'll know what I mean
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

Druska wrote:Yeah now that you mention it, I think one of my teachers said that one of the problems he had when translating(Yeah he's the one who translated the LOTR in catalan) is that every character has a way of speaking, that and the fact we have this kind of "courtesy language", if you have any notion of french you'll know what I mean
Yeah, I've studied French for 5 years, I hated the language though
You know, it was a great moment in the book of LOTR, when Sam was speaking his thoughts. The syntax was not perfect, his speech wasn't as great, flawless and lordly as some of the other character's sentecnes(like Gandalf or Elves), but his words were wise and true. Tolkien let you know that just a simple, not very well-educated man is speaking, but he is a wise man nonetheless, one of the wisest of all, I would say.
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

... this kinda hurts :suicide:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 3840_n.jpg[/imgwidth]
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Obviously a LOTR fan bashing Harry Potter.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Emil wrote:Obviously a LOTR fan bashing Harry Potter.
don't know if trolling or not ...it does sound like it though ^^ , but people are so stupid nowadays , you never know .
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

Ardi41 wrote:but people are so stupid nowadays , you never know .
This is one of the saddest truths there is.
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

Found this on 9gag

Dunno if you guys know about this but there's an "8th Season" of Buffy (it's a comic) in which the evil guy's name is twilight, epic Whedon is epic
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

! wrote:
Emil wrote:Tolkien hands down, everything about those books are so structured because he made that entire world and wrote out it's history ever since the beginning of times which means that everything has it's own explanation.
I think in terms of writing quality, a good fantasy is miles ahead of the best of other genres because of this. IMO you just don't get such gripping characters etc from anything else.
Simply untrue.
fuck this signature nonsense