TREBLE CHARGER COMEBACK!!!

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

TREBLE CHARGER COMEBACK!!!

Post by TomiT14 »

HOLY SHIT!!

And don't tell me you don't know them. As a Sum-fan, you should know Greig Nori, the longtime manager/producer/songwriter for the Sums, the "King Of Contradiction".

And you should know his band Treble Charger, and their songs like Hundred Million, American Psycho and Brand New Low. Their last album was released in 2003, but on a following tour their lead guitarist / songwriter Bill Priddle (he and Nori wrote and sang 50/50, just like Hoppus/DeLonge in blink) left the band with major differencies with Nori about the direction of the band (Deryck/Dave, anyone?). The band started an indefinite hiatus in 2004, and in 2006 Nori announced that the band is gone forever..

UNTIL NOW!

Greig Nori just tweeted this:
Greig Nori wrote:Thinking I should probably call Bill, and maybe pick up some new guitar strings, hmmmm. @treble_charger
The @treble_charger account was just created, with an opening tweet:
Treble Charger wrote:Wow - it's been a while. Might be time to knock the dust off...
And the account info says "Don't call it a comeback... Perhaps we should discuss on 1/16/12?"

Excited much? DAMN RIGHT I AM!
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Re: TREBLE CHARGER COMEBACK!!!

Post by SickofEveryone »

I like a few of their songs, not a big fan, but I'm looking forward to what they have to bring to the table.
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

just got into them. I like most of the Detox album and American Psycho. So pretty cool!

The guitarist I work with, Devin Bronson, was in the band briefly in 03-04 but left for Av's band
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Greig knows what he's doing when it comes to music. The possibility of Treble Charger back being one of them. Would be interesting!
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Who? Greg Norey?

I only know of American Psycho and Hundred Million. I heard their Detox album took a lot of criticism because the band was "too old" for what they were trying to do; lots of claims they were trying to emulate Sum 41. Then I remember some of the band made fun of Sum 41 ("they suuuck") on Much Music.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?

Post by SumGeek »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Then I remember some of the band made fun of Sum 41 ("they suuuck") on Much Music.
Really? Wow, that's pretty low of the band members to do so.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Never heard of them.
[donate][/donate]
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

So he's not doing reality talent shows anymore, then? Should be interesting!
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?

Post by SumGeek »

fergal41 wrote:So he's not doing reality talent shows anymore, then? Should be interesting!
You mean Discovered? (On MuchMusic) Yeah, that season just ended at the end of the summer. Which is an interesting show, btw. I haven't seen anything like it before. It's good to see some local acts get some recognition.
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Who? Greg Norey?

I only know of American Psycho and Hundred Million. I heard their Detox album took a lot of criticism because the band was "too old" for what they were trying to do; lots of claims they were trying to emulate Sum 41. Then I remember some of the band made fun of Sum 41 ("they suuuck") on Much Music.
Surprised that you haven't heard of their songs. Afterall they are Canadian and have a significant Sum-relation. :silly:

Greig Nori found out about the Sums back in their early days in 1996. He went to their show in a local school and offered to start as their manager. So basically it's because of Greig that Sum 41 got as big as they are now. Aside from the management he produced their albums from HHOP to Chuck, and co-wrote majority of the songs with Deryck. He also played guitar on the album version of P4P and had backing vocals on Motivation and Handle This.

But in 2005 it all ended. What happened exactly is one of the greatest Sum-related mysteries. I managed to get Deryck to mention about it, saying "he betrayed us, he stole a lot of money from us" and that the King Of Contradiction is about him. That's all we know.

In an interview around 2006, when asked why he left the band, Greig said he didn't see Sum 41 having any kind of future anymore. I guess that's what you're referring to?
wiggs1441
Underclass Hero
First name: Sagiv
n00b: BrandonCorey, Kyle

Post by wiggs1441 »

Well. I think I got a boner.
tomhoppus is my Master!
NoReason27 is my Grand-master!
BrandonCorey is my N00B!
Sum-42 is my Grand N00B!

Raku
Ma Poubelle
First name: Scott
PSN ID: MySummerJob
Instrument 1: Vocals
Last.fm Username: MySummerJob
Twitter: MySummerJob

Post by Raku »

Not much of a comeback at all. It looks like they're only coming back to play one show (or tour) and that's it =/

I wish they would record new music.
wiggs1441
Underclass Hero
First name: Sagiv
n00b: BrandonCorey, Kyle

Post by wiggs1441 »

Raku wrote:Not much of a comeback at all. It looks like they're only coming back to play one show (or tour) and that's it =/

I wish they would record new music.
I'll take whatever I can get.
tomhoppus is my Master!
NoReason27 is my Grand-master!
BrandonCorey is my N00B!
Sum-42 is my Grand N00B!

dbauer91
Billy Spleen
Instrument 2: drums
Instrument 3: keyboard

Post by dbauer91 »

"Greig Nori, the longtime manager/producer/songwriter for the Sums,"

pretty sure he hasn't written anything for the sums. production, yes, but writing, no.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

dbauer91 wrote:"Greig Nori, the longtime manager/producer/songwriter for the Sums,"

pretty sure he hasn't written anything for the sums. production, yes, but writing, no.
he does hold some writing credits, whether he actually wrote anything remains to be determined.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

dbauer91 wrote:"Greig Nori, the longtime manager/producer/songwriter for the Sums,"

lolwut? :glad:

No, he hasn't written any songs all by himself. But he has co-written majority of their songs. To name some of them, Makes No Difference, Summer, Nothing On My Back, Fat Lip, Motivation, In Too Deep, The Hell Song, Over My Head, My Direction, Still Waiting, Thanks For Nothing, We're All To Blame, Angels With Dirty Faces, Some Say, Open Your Eyes, Slipping Away, I'm Not The One, Pieces, There's No Solution, 88...

I'm curious to know where you have this "pretty sure" inside info from.
2712 wrote:he does hold some writing credits, whether he actually wrote anything remains to be determined.
This. We will never know for sure. I'm guessing he gave his opinion on individual parts of the songs, so he included himself as one of the writers. But the fact is that he's been credited for them, so as long someone proves that wrong, he pretty sure has co-written most of their songs.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

TomiT14 wrote:

Surprised that you haven't heard of their songs. Afterall they are Canadian and have a significant Sum-relation. :silly:

[...]

In an interview around 2006, when asked why he left the band, Greig said he didn't see Sum 41 having any kind of future anymore. I guess that's what you're referring to?
Yeah, I don't really know why I didn't bother buying a Treble Charger album when I was growing up. When I was 10 I mistook Deryck for Greig the first time I saw the Fat Lip video, haha. The new millennium had a lot of dyed, spiky hair and baggy pants!

As for the interview, this was video. Actually, looking at it now, it's a lot more light-hearted than I first interpreted it to be. I think it's from 2002 (according to YouTube comments).

http://youtu.be/X_SA_UPV9m4?t=3m37s
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I don't really know why I didn't bother buying a Treble Charger album when I was growing up. When I was 10 I mistook Deryck for Greig the first time I saw the Fat Lip video, haha. The new millennium had a lot of dyed, spiky hair and baggy pants!

As for the interview, this was video. Actually, looking at it now, it's a lot more light-hearted than I first interpreted it to be. I think it's from 2002 (according to YouTube comments).

http://youtu.be/X_SA_UPV9m4?t=3m37s
Yeah well, like you see, they are basically joking. Greig Nori was still involved with Sum 41 that time, so they can't really hate them yet. :silly: They are just pissed that the media always asks them about the Sums.
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

I'm sure with someone as control-freaky as Deryck is about his music, that if Nori had nothing to do with the songwriting back in the day then he sure as Hell wouldn't have gotten near the credits. Greig Nori definitely had a huge songwriting influence over the band up until and including Chuck. Look at the sheet music and the tab books - he's there in the credits.

Sometimes I wonder if a combination of his and Dave's departures are the reason why Sum 41's albums have lost certain characteristics in recent years - but that's a discussion for another thread!
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

I checked out this band on Youtube and they sound awfully generic.