R.I.P. R.E.M.

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

R.I.P. R.E.M.

Post by Noreason757 »

I like`how they decided to call it quits and i really respect them for it

R.E.M., who are widely considered to be one of the first successful alternative rock groups, have consistently released quality music throughout their career and have had a tremendous effect on many musicians and fans of the genre. But after almost three decades and a total of fifteen studio albums to their credit, R.E.M. have decided that they are now finished as a band.

The news was announced via the band’s official website, http://www.remhq.com, with the following message:

"To our Fans and Friends: As R.E.M., and as lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band. We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished. To anyone who ever felt touched by our music, our deepest thanks for listening."

Each of the group’s individual members also personally issued a comment regarding the end of the band.

Mike Mills – Bass:

"During our last tour, and while making 'Collapse Into Now' and putting together this greatest hits retrospective, we started asking ourselves, ‘what next’? Working through our music and memories from over three decades was a hell of a journey. We realized that these songs seemed to draw a natural line under the last 31 years of our working together."

"We have always been a band in the truest sense of the word. Brothers who truly love, and respect, each other. We feel kind of like pioneers in this - there's no disharmony here, no falling-outs, no lawyers squaring-off. We've made this decision together, amicably and with each other's best interests at heart. The time just feels right."

Michael Stipe – Vocals:

"A wise man once said - ‘the skill in attending a party is knowing when it's time to leave.’ We built something extraordinary together. We did this thing. And now we're going to walk away from it."

"I hope our fans realize this wasn't an easy decision; but all things must end, and we wanted to do it right, to do it our way."

"We have to thank all the people who helped us be R.E.M. for these 31 years; our deepest gratitude to those who allowed us to do this. It's been amazing."

Peter Buck – Guitar:

"One of the things that was always so great about being in R.E.M. was the fact that the records and the songs we wrote meant as much to our fans as they did to us. It was, and still is, important to us to do right by you. Being a part of your lives has been an unbelievable gift. Thank you."

"Mike, Michael, Bill, Bertis, and I walk away as great friends. I know I will be seeing them in the future, just as I know I will be seeing everyone who has followed us and supported us through the years. Even if it's only in the vinyl aisle of your local record store, or standing at the back of the club: watching a group of 19 year olds trying to change the world."
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Re: R.I.P. R.E.M.

Post by Boni »

Good news, another shit band not releasing new music. Here's hoping Bieber is next.
[donate][/donate]
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

I never really realized how long they've been around, but they were definitely influential. it's always sad to see a band disappear from fame when they truly deserved it, and especially when pop music is filled with "artists" who do not deserve their fame.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

never been a huge fan of them myself, a few quality songs here and there, but they have influenced so many of my favourite artists/bands so it's hard for me to say a bad word against them.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

R.E.M were a great band, but I understand their decision, wise one, so long, goodbye to another good band
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

Well. Boni and I are no longer friends.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
sumfan4
Jessica Kill
First name: Eric
Instrument 1: vajayjay
Instrument 2: my weiner
Instrument 3: your weiner

Post by sumfan4 »

Never was a fan, but I did enjoy their big 90s hits when I was young. They were a great 90s alternative band, but I had no idea they were still around honestly. Thought they died out a long long time ago with all their other alternative 90s bands.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Didn't like too much of their songs except Losing My Religion but they have really influenced lots of good bands that I like, so yeah, even if they're not for my personal taste, they were definitely important and influential.