The ''Computer'' Thread

Calling all nerds! Talk tech in this forum.

Moderator: Boni

Ferdehh41
Ma Poubelle
First name: Ferdi

The ''Computer'' Thread

Post by Ferdehh41 »

Discuss everything you want: OS, PC's, MAC's, Hardware/Software..

What's your opinion?

Go ahead !
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Re: The ''Computer'' Thread

Post by Gregorovich »

This thread is going to get locked when a Mac vs PC argument starts up again.

Keeping impartial, I have a [broken] compaq presario CQ60, and am hoping to buy a new laptop in the near future- most likely a HP Pavilion DV6-3120as. Ideally I want a computer that I can play all games on but that's not going to happen without it being <10kg. Also I have an iMac back home but I'm the only one who can actually use it - my family are a bunch of technologically impaired ducks.
Nic
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Nic

Post by Nic »

Anyone know when new MacBooks are coming out?
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

im gonna take a wild guess and say in september, that's when they usually come out, right?
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

Nic wrote:Anyone know when new MacBooks are coming out?
They came out a couple of months ago. Or was that just the macbook pros?
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Nic
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Nic

Post by Nic »

Jake! wrote:
Nic wrote:Anyone know when new MacBooks are coming out?
They came out a couple of months ago. Or was that just the macbook pros?
The MacBook Pros came out in Feb. Actually, I should rephrase the question. When are new PROs coming out?
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

As most people on this forum know, I don't like Apple. Overpriced equipment for what it does. I also hate Windows, it is the only OS I know that can actually destroy itself. I use Ubuntu 10.04LTS OS its fast, great and open source. I also don't buy computers, I build them myself.
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

*Edit* This turned out to be a little more lengthy than I intended...
*Edit 2* I apologise unreservedly for my comma splicing, over use of full stops and generally terrible punctuation. IT'S LATE, OKAY.

Apple stuff is more expensive, yes. Overpriced. I don't know. if no, not by much. Over it's lifespan, an apple product will give you much less of a headache than any windows or linux machine, their aftercare is also the best, with no doubt about it. I like linux. Not ubuntu tho. Stupid nazi OS. Fedora is where it's at. and windows is just... Useful to have >.>

I like my MacBook because it bridges the gap between the usability of windows (ie. the fact that stuff runs on it) and the unix tools I need for keeping this place up and running.

And yeah, building yourself (or having a friend do it) is the best way to go. That way you really only pay for one brand name :P And that's intel xD (Unless you like sub par things, or are poor and chose AMD) Admitedly I own an alienware. Mostly because it looks fucking fantastic. I think I paid 5 grand for it 2 years ago? Admitedly the SSD's cost a hell of a lot back then, and the cpu in its self to buy alone was £1k... Orderd bits for a new one yesterday however. Building this one myself. Better specs for £1500... What was I thinking when I bought an alienware? If I ever think that again, shoot me.

My notebook, an Asus G51, is quite nice... bought it back in January I think. Very powerful, in fact probably overkill for what I need it for. Is, however, a very nice machine. One of the best I've used.

these all run Windows 7, The alienware has hackintosh, Ubuntu 11.04, Fedora 15 partitions. Ubuntu 11.04 actually looks pretty damn good. visually. Under the hood it's still an utter cunt tho. fine for the average user tho.

Have an old Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo li1718 that i use as a testbed for all things TNS, runs the same OS and same software packages, is what I use to test things out before I install them on here. Was an alright machine back in the day. Hell, still isn't too bad. Battery's shagged tho.

Then we get onto my collection of macs...

The 27" iMac is fucking fantastic for web design stuff. And the fact you can put it anywhere with just one cable... it's awesome. Would highly recommend to anyone who does graphic design. Infact, I would probably go as far as saying for a similar quality machine + screen quality. It's pretty well priced.

Inherited a mac pro off of my dad when he moved out. It doesn't really get used tho. have no need for it. It is however very good for large amounts of processing thanks to it's dual quad cores. I use it if I need to compress shit. I believe it cost about £4k new? Not worth it unless you really do need 2x Quad Core CPUs (does anyone? I think my dad used it for CAD stuff)

Then there is, of course, my 17" 2010 MacBook pro. Love it. It cost a lot, but it's definitely the smoothest running machine I have. Can't wait to try out Lion on it... Used it to run a Virtual Machine network to map out the real thing for my dad's girlfriend's company. It;s one hell of a solid machine. I also don't think it's frozen beyond the help of Force Quit since I bought it back in October. And contary to popular belief. iTunes does not run better on a mac. Not in the slightest. It runs better through WINE on linux :/
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Has anybody else had a look at the new Windows 8 Microsoft unveiled? I don't quite understand what it's meant to be - a tablet OS? Or a touchscreen PC OS? Or maybe even a regular PC OS? I can't see anybody using that thing on their PCs. For a tablet, it looks good... but for PCs... It looks like a piece of shit.
fuck this signature nonsense
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

I am pretty sure it'll be a tablet thing, and optional for desktops, since there's more people buying touchscreens and all that.

Also Jake I like that you're not just some Mac fanboy, that's what you came off as in your shorter posts, and Mac fanboy's are fucking idiots.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

all fanboys are fuckin idiots, whatever they're wanking over!
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Is it wrong for me to be a Megan Fox fanboy then?
fuck this signature nonsense
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

yes. because I hate her.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

I quite agree about Ubuntu but I use it because of the amazing support over at the Ubuntu forums, OMG Ubuntu and the launchpad PPA for easy install of applications not in the repository and don't have complied .deb.

My computer is just a quad core, bit old but still powerful enough to run my computer and then some with the help of my 8GB RAM. Going for an upgrade in July I'm hoping. Got windows XP on a very old laptop if I ever need to use it and have hackintosh on my spare hard drive thanks to Jake's suggestion.

I should also point out I bought my computer bits at different times about 2 years ago because I was a poor college student and couldn't afford it.
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

Bobbyjames wrote:all fanboys are fuckin idiots, whatever they're wanking over!
I'm not actually a windows fanboy btw haha, I just have absolutely no idea why Macs of the same spec cost so much more than a Windows. As far Mac running faster/better I've had experience with both desktops and laptops for both and I have noticed zero difference.

If Macs were the same price as the windows equivalent I'd have no problem with em, it would just be a choice of looks and preferred UI (there's not as much difference as people make out there to be ) and to be honest I prefer the look of mac computers but prefer the windows UI by far.

I just think their whole cool vs nerd (mac vs PC) marketing campaign was the biggest load of shit, the marketing team definitely had cool as a synonym for dumb ass and used it to their advantage to make a lot of people with money to blow and no idea about computers buy overpriced stuff.

There are obviously some people that use Macs for graphics and all that which I actually find them nicer to use for than Windows, and they're the ones that bought them for a reason, and the higher price might just be able to be justified I suppose, the rest of the people are just kinda stupid and helping the company to keep the high prices since people keep buying.
Last edited by Tyler. on Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

I wasn't calling you a Windows fanboy dude! just fanboys in gerneral, in every walk of life! regardless if it's for music, technology, films, phones etc.
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

Bobbyjames wrote:I wasn't calling you a Windows fanboy dude! just fanboys in gerneral, in every walk of life! regardless if it's for music, technology, films, phones etc.
Yeah didn't think so haha. I would have to say I'm a bit of a blink "fanboy" but I don't go overboard with with telling people about it and arguing about them, I just stick to talking to other fans about it.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

it's the fanboys who act asif their opinion is right and everyone else is wrong regardless of the facts that piss me off! I'm a fanboy with some stuff, we all are really. it's just how people put that across. I'm bit of an Apple fanboy, I love my iPhone and would recommend it to everyone, but I don't really want to say it's the BEST FINE EVA EVERYTHIN ELSE IS SHITZ" because I really don't know, I've never properly used any Android phones or Blackberrys to compare!
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

I suppose I do sound too angry at Mac's sometimes, really the only thing I don't like about them is the price for what in my experience with all types of their computers is no difference other than the visual interface, which one person will love and another won't, and I don't really like it.

I've always not cared about what phone I have haha, mine's still an oldish nokia, I have colour and a camera now, aw yeah! As far as MP3 players I've had a 20GB iRiver for 5 years or so and it's still going strong, just a little big for pockets now lol. I have an iPod Touch which is alright but I only got the 8GB one free with my Macbook so it doesn't fit much. I suppose I don't really care for all the flashy stuff too much so I like the old mp3 player more.
Last edited by Tyler. on Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Aren't we all Sum 41 fanboys?

And n00b question here, but what is Hackintosh? Just a cracked Mac OS or what?