Green Day

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Re: Green Day [DOS leaked]

Post by samueeL »

I fucking love Nightlife, haha. Best songs off the album are definitely Lazy Bones and Nightlife, damn! But just kinda... doesn't Billie ever get tired of power chords? 'cause 90% of the time he's playing power chords...
Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

Post by Noreason757 »

Ok, now that i have had some time to listen to the album and let it sink in i can make honest opinions of the tracks.

See You Tonight - 8/10 Great intro track
Fuck Time - 9/10 Extremely fun song can see myself listening to this a lot.
Stop When the Red Lights Flash - 6/10 Just a fast ok song i might end up skipping this one on occasion.
Lazy Bones - 9/10 My second favorite on the album, love the lyrics.
Wild One - 7/10 Good song reminds me a little bit of creep by radiohead but not too much.
Makeout Party - 7/10 Good song not one of my favorites
Stray Heart - 9/10 Has been one of favorites since i heard a bootleg live version awhile back.
Ashley - 8/10 A really good fast song, (it says bloody murder in the lyrics ;) ) has a good transition into the next song
Baby Eyes - 7/10 Pretty Good song i wont be skipping it but its not really one of my favorites, reminds a lil of something that could have been on american idiot tho.
Lady Cobra - 8/10 I really like this song its fast and fun
Nightlife - 5/10 I had high expectations for this song from the radio show, i thought it would pick up near the end and be really awesome but it kinda stayed the same. disappointed.
Wow! Thats Loud! - 9/10 My Favorite Song off the album
Amy - 10/10 I consider this one of the best songs for green day its sad and sweet and you can feel the emotion in billie joe's singing, A really great song and tribute to Amy Winehouse.

Overall - 8.5/10 Wayy better than Uno and i liked uno a lot so thats saying something.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

This is so my favorite record of them since nimrod !
jordidanen95
Bunkface
First name: jordi
Instrument 2: piano

Post by jordidanen95 »

fucking sucks....why can't they just make a new ''american idiot''
shit like letterbomb,wake me up when september ends,jesus of suburbia,whatsername....
Noreason757
Hooch

Post by Noreason757 »

jordidanen95 wrote:fucking sucks....why can't they just make a new ''american idiot''
shit like letterbomb,wake me up when september ends,jesus of suburbia,whatsername....
there is your problem right there, stop comparing the newer albums to american idiot, judge them on their own as if american idiot never existed. If you keep on comparing the new stuff to american idiot (which you consider the pinnacle of green days music) then nothing they ever make will seem good to you. Gotta view them with an open mind. :winkwink:
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

jordidanen95 wrote:fucking sucks....why can't they just make a new ''american idiot''
They already did that. In 2004. It's called 'American Idiot'.

True musicians don't make songs for the public or for the critics; they make music for themselves and their fanbase. If Billie, Mike and Tre had wanted to make another American Idiot, they would have done so. Uno, Dos and Tre are all about branching out from the punk-rock classics and the newer rock-operas, while still maintaining the core sound of what is Green Day for the fans. Surely, as a fan of Sum 41 (a band which makes a point of never, EVER, going back on itself), you can appreciate the guys not wanting to just redo what they'd done before. If they wanted to make another American Idiot and sold shitloads, they could have. But that's not what the band wants.

In other news, the video for Stray Heart is coming out tomorrow at 2pm GMT, and the timings for Tre are out. Looks like 'Dirty Rotten Bastards' is going to be another 8-minute Jesus Of Suburbia-type song. Cannot wait.
fuck this signature nonsense
Jeremy Kill
Green Day [DOS leaked]

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I listened last night. Kind of boring except for a few songs near the end. Makeout Party and Nightlife were my favorites. There were a couple of others, but I don't know the names. Some melodies reminded me of some 21st Century Breakdown stuff.

EDIT: This was only after one listen. I felt the same about Uno. Lately I've been really into Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, so that may be why I'm probably not hearing what's so great about Dos at the moment.
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

I enjoyed Dos very much. it wasnt quite what I expected, which was an album of dirty garage rockers. This album was very alternative with some pretty great material and lyrics involved. Yea its different. It shouldn't be compared to American Idiot because it is completely different and that's what it was always expected to be. Dos met my expectations. My favorites are Ashley, Makeout Party, and Stray Heart. Overall its like a 7/10. It's enjoyable. Not the best album in the world. But MUCH better than that "Uno" shit.

Edit: I also think that Stop When The Red Light Flash should've came after See You Tonight, rather than Fuck Time. It feels like a better "starting" song. And Fuck Time breaks the ice too fast!
Last edited by ÜBERCUNT on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raku
Ma Poubelle
First name: Scott
PSN ID: MySummerJob
Instrument 1: Vocals
Last.fm Username: MySummerJob
Twitter: MySummerJob

Post by Raku »

I'm sorry, but I don't like DOS either.

I mean UNO wasn't that amazing in itself, but it at least had energy (to me at least).

I might have to give it a few more listens, but this is the weakest album they ever released (as Green Day).

I'm hoping TRE will be better... I like 99 Revolutions, and X-Kid so there's some hope...

I could see my ranking at the end of all this to be: TRE>UNO>DOS or UNO>TRE>DOS

Most likely it's going to be T>U>D
Last edited by Raku on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

It's definitely time for Green Day to take a long break
jordidanen95
Bunkface

Post by jordidanen95 »

Noreason757 wrote:
there is your problem right there, stop comparing the newer albums to american idiot, judge them on their own as if american idiot never existed. If you keep on comparing the new stuff to american idiot (which you consider the pinnacle of green days music) then nothing they ever make will seem good to you. Gotta view them with an open mind. :winkwink:
im really openminded in music, but i just really think uno & dos suck :P
jordidanen95
Bunkface

Post by jordidanen95 »

don't getme wrong, my favorite green day records are american idiot/warning/dookie/insomniac/21CB

non of them sound the same but i love it all.

uno & dos just sound like ''let's write some boring songs just for the sake of releasing new material since it's already 3 years ago,we will say we're back to our simple roots and fuck it, people will buy it anyway''

horse shit. :(
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

I don't like either... This old-school rock'n'roll style is just really boring for me for a whole album. I liked BYDWK and TFYTG on Screaming Bloody Murder, because they made it more varied, but if one album contains ONLY this style, it's very tiring... and GD just made two albums like that, and I guess Tre will be the same... There's one or two songs that I like, but if I sum the three albums with these songs, I still get only a mediocre one... I just don't like the way they are on now.
Last edited by Iam The Ghost on Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Here's the Stray Heart video (not sure if everyone will be able to see it): http://www.nme.com/nme-video/green-day- ... 9666623001

Definitely one of the weirdest videos the band has ever done. Obviously, with the whole rehab thing, the band aren't in it.

In other news, I got bored this morning so decided to make a single cover for all three albums (using paint and word I might add):

Also, there's this guy who's started to take a bunch of Green Day's newer songs and 'Dookify' them, which is pretty self explanatory. Check out his latest one here:
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Overal I'm very disappointed, even if I like Amy, Lazy Bones and Ashley, the rest doesn't make me feel anything. Oh and Nightlife... I just couldn't stand the part where the girl speaks.

I like Uno the best. Hope that Tré will be better than Dos !
Heather
First name: Heather
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

Faves: See You Tonight, Lazy Bones, Wild One, Stray Heart and Amy (song has a VERY similar hook to the Beatles All I've Got To Do). Nightlife was just plain shit, imo.

better than Uno, I'll probably take my faves from each album and make a "Uno, Dos, Tre" since I seem to dislike a majority of the tracks so far. - might use Gregor's cover.

Expanded thought - These albums seem "lazy" in a since. Everything on these tracks has already been done, either by GD themselves or 60s groups. Some of the melodies are very easy to listen to, but I think they could have pushed the sound a bit more instead of relying on "comfortably catchy". I do enjoy the bass lines and guitar solos.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Fail @ Warner: Stray Heart was switched with Drama Queen late in the release process, so some vinyls have gone out with the studio versions of Drama Queen instead of Stray Heart:
Edit: HQ soundcloud vinyl rip...
Last edited by Gregorovich on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noreason757
Hooch

Post by Noreason757 »

Gregorovich wrote:Fail @ Warner: Stray Heart was switched with Drama Queen late in the release process, so some vinyls have gone out with the studio versions of Drama Queen instead of Stray Heart:
Good song, i see why they switched it to tre it has the same style to some of the songs ive heard from that one.

I HOPE MY VINYL OF DOS THAT I PREORDERED HAS THIS MESS UP, THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! :2cool4u:
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

It could be worth a couple of bucks in the future.
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

I dunno, I'd be sad to lose Stray Heart. :confusion: