[SUM41FRANCE] Ask Tom a question.

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

ptido
Bunkface

[SUM41FRANCE] Ask Tom a question.

Post by ptido »

Sum41France's gonna do an interview with Tom very soon.

Suggest us a question !

Don't ask a question if we already know the answer. Here's his answers for the interview we did in November.
Spoiler: show
The new gob record is more rocking than the last record. It has a more early punk/rock n roll sound to it. It's still heavy but less gloomy sounding than Muertos Vivos. Gob fans will be super stoked on it.

The record is basically written but some lyrics still have yet to be written. We started recording the instruments, we'll be keeping most of what we recorded, re-doing a few things then recording the vocals. We're planning to finish it up this winter. We don't have a set release date at this point.

When Deryck was writing for the "EP" he called me and asked if I had any songs. The basic idea of the song had been written when I was writing for the gob album "Muertos Vivos" It just never materialized. I heard stuff that Deryck was writing and I figured that SBM might work for Sum41. Deryck wrote lyrics and tweaked the melodies and it turned out great. I think that probably turned out better than if it was released a gob song.

Gob have opened for Sum41 in the past. I'm not sure if it would work these days since I play and sing a lot in the Sum41 set. I'd probably be pretty burnt out if I had to play 2 sets a night.
Last edited by ptido on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
We must use our voices as a flag.
And make it resonate in every building, in every head.

The youth is raising up in burning cages, not just pretences.

We are the solution.

http://sum41-france.com
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Re: Ask Tom a question.

Post by Bobbyjames »

why aren't you brown?
DW_60
Hooch
First name: Amin
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drum
Twitter: aaminolo

Re: Ask Tom a question.

Post by DW_60 »

We also interviewed him last year
Spoiler: show
Interview Sum 41 France:
*Aren't you too busy now that you officially play in Sum 41 and Gob ? No problems with timetable ?

It definitely gets to be hectic playing in both bands but I love playing music and playing with both bands so I can deal with the busy schedule. Sum41 tours are usually booked long in advance so it's easy to coordinate schedules. We basically book gob shows around the sum41 schedule.
*Is Dave a good friend ? Did you talked with him since you started playing in Sum 41 ?
Dave's a great guitarist and a great dude. We'll always be friends and be in touch. I'm looking forward to hearing the new music that he's making with the Organ thieves and Brown Brigade.

*Will you sing on the new album ?

As far as I know I won't be doing vocals on the new sum41 record. Deryck will likely be singing all the parts but certainly if he wants me to record some vocals I'll do it.

*Did you take part in the composition ? More precisely the composition of solos and lyrics.

I wrote a song for the sum 41 record and Deryck wrote the lyrics for the song, it's called "Panic Attack" it turned out awesome. The solo is sort of a collaboration of mine and Deryck's ideas. There's also a great song that Cone wrote called "Like everyone else", other than that Deryck wrote the songs.

*Steve said that you play accordion and that you may play an accordion solo in the new album. Deryck said that he isn’t against the idea. So did this happened ?

Haha. I would love to play an accordion part for the album but it hasn't happened. I don't think it will happen but I'll definitely bring my accordion on tour so I can annoy everyone by practicing it all night long.

*Can you tell us about the song “Jessica Kill” ? The title is quite intriguing.

I honestly have no idea what the lyrics are in Jessica Kill. You'll have to ask Deryck about that one.

*What is your favorite album of Sum 41 ?

I think the writing keeps getting better on the sum 41 records. I think out of the existing albums, the songwriting is best on Underclass Hero. My favorite to listen to is probably Does this look infected.

*Do you think that the new one is better ?
I think the new record combines the depth of the writing of Underclass with the cohesive heavy sound of Does this look infected so yeah, I think it will be the best album yet.

*Which songs do you prefer to play, and which ones do you prefer to listen ?

I prefer to play heavier faster songs live just for the raw energy, songs like Still waiting, Mr Amsterdam, No brains. I would probably choose different songs to listen to based on my mood. I think Speak of the devil, Confusion and frustration in modern times and The jester off the last record are great songs to listen to.

*Don’t you worry about the fan’s reaction about your official integration in the band ?

I don't worry about fans being upset about me replacing Dave, I'm really only concerned with playing well and having a good time. The thing is, Dave quit the band and the band continued on kicking ass. The fans don't have anything to complain about. In fact, now they get 2 records instead of one, Sum 41 and Brown Brigade! and when they want a new record why not check out a gob record or Operation MD. There's more sum41 related music now.

*What are the most recurrent reactions that you heard so far ?

Some of the fans have a hard time accepting a new guitarist in Dave's place but once they see me playing live with sum41 they're stoked. They just want to say, "Fuck the new guy!" then they see me playing Dave's solos and they're like, "I guess the new guy's alright after all" Even the most staunch fans eventually come around.

*How does it feel to replace a guitarist and to integrate a band that is famous for almost a decade now ? Aren’t you scared to not be good enough ? (no worries, we think that you're good)

Thanks! Even before I started playing with Sum41 fans were worried that the band wouldn't be able to carry on without Dave. Like they forgot that Deryck, Steve and Cone were great too. So I knew what to expect, that I would be under careful, often irrational scrutiny by fans. I wouldn't have taken it on if I didn't think I could do it. And the guys wouldn't have asked me to play with them unless they knew it would be great. We're not fucking around.

*When are you going to start recording, and how many songs will you record ?

The recording is already underway, the drums are already finished. I think there is around 14 songs.
Image Image

" Tu es mon petite poubelle. "
Amin #sum41france http://www.facebook.com/Sum41France
Jeremy Kill
Re: [SUM41FRANCE] Ask Tom a question.

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Has anyone asked him about his guitar rig for Sum 41? Someone should ask about what pickups/amps/etc he uses and if it's what he chooses to use or what Deryck has picked out for him (or what's best for Sum 41's live sound).
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Did experince of being with Sum 41 help you,in any way,to produce things for Gob ?
Is there a chance that you would write a song for Sum 41 all by yourself? maybe some T-sides :P
Do you hang out with the guys when the tour is over too,or you need some time for yoursef ?
Did you listen to Sum 41 often before you were invited to join the band ?

something for Still Waiting and Samueel - Who is your favorite character from Glee ? :P
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
patenttiftw
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Aarne
360 Gamer Tag: partonen2
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: Gobbed

Post by patenttiftw »

Suggest me a new domain name for Gob Fans Unite, they banned the gobfansunite.com domain and i can't renew it.

Piece & Love, Aarne
Last edited by patenttiftw on Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ptido
Bunkface

Post by ptido »

patenttiftw wrote:Suggest me a new domain name for Gob Fans Unite, they banned the gobfansunite.com domain and i can't renew it.

Piece & Love, Aarne
Here's his answer. We'll post the other answers tonight.

"Hmm Gobfansunite was banned? WTF? Here's some suggestions for a domain name churchofgob gobarmy gobfancentral gobfreaks "

My god, these domain name are so cool !
We must use our voices as a flag.
And make it resonate in every building, in every head.

The youth is raising up in burning cages, not just pretences.

We are the solution.

http://sum41-france.com
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

ptido wrote:
patenttiftw wrote:Suggest me a new domain name for Gob Fans Unite, they banned the gobfansunite.com domain and i can't renew it.

Piece & Love, Aarne
Here's his answer. We'll post the other answers tonight.

"Hmm Gobfansunite was banned? WTF? Here's some suggestions for a domain name churchofgob gobarmy gobfancentral gobfreaks "

My god, these domain name are so cool !
True. So cool! And nice that he answered to that. :silly:
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

when will the whole interview be posted ?
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

FuckT41182 wrote:when will the whole interview be posted ?
ptido wrote:We'll post the other answers tonight.
How much more accurate he needs to be? :silly:
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

I should stop skipping sentences,cause I always skip the one that is important XD