Frank Turner

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Re: Frank Turner

Post by Bobbyjames »

FuckT41182 wrote:
Bobbyjames wrote:
2712 wrote:Fuck. GREAT fucking album.

the only song i skip is glory hallelujah. i find it too cynical and i don't necessarily agree with the lyrical content.

anyone else get reminded of "to take you home" when listening to "Wessex Boy" ?
I see what you mean about Glory Hallelujah, when I first heard it I thought it was a bold song to write/release and some people would not agree with it.
well, and isn't that one of the most significant signs of rock 'n roll music? to write songs that you truly feel and believe in, instead of songs that people wanna hear, there is pop music for that, they can sing ''I love you'' the same way for as long as it takes and people are still dumb enough to like it

while listening to music, I wanna hear the given person's opinions, no matter what they are, try honesty ;)

and also, aren't Christians supposed to understand, forgive and all that stuff ? I believe it's in the sacred book
it's not the so much his views, it's the way he puts it accross. people are free to believe in what they want, it doesn't bother me, but when people put accross their beliefs as facts and everyone else is wrong and cunts, then that will piss people off. like myself.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Bobbyjames wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:
Bobbyjames wrote:
2712 wrote:Fuck. GREAT fucking album.

the only song i skip is glory hallelujah. i find it too cynical and i don't necessarily agree with the lyrical content.

anyone else get reminded of "to take you home" when listening to "Wessex Boy" ?
I see what you mean about Glory Hallelujah, when I first heard it I thought it was a bold song to write/release and some people would not agree with it.
well, and isn't that one of the most significant signs of rock 'n roll music? to write songs that you truly feel and believe in, instead of songs that people wanna hear, there is pop music for that, they can sing ''I love you'' the same way for as long as it takes and people are still dumb enough to like it

while listening to music, I wanna hear the given person's opinions, no matter what they are, try honesty ;)

and also, aren't Christians supposed to understand, forgive and all that stuff ? I believe it's in the sacred book
it's not the so much his views, it's the way he puts it accross. people are free to believe in what they want, it doesn't bother me, but when people put accross their beliefs as facts and everyone else is wrong and cunts, then that will piss people off. like myself.
I disagree with you on this one, totally, cause I think people should express their opinions the way Frank did it there, or John Lennon did it in his song Imagine ... you know, opinion is something you have in your mind and you believe that it is right, you believe it so hard that it is not any surprising that when you talk about it, it just sounds like facts ...

but man, Christians are totally sure that God exists as well, and their belief is the strongest when they have no doubts in their mind, soul, body or whatever ...

I think that only weak people who still have problems with listening to somebody's belief that is different than their own can feel touched or something ... I mean, as I don't really like the stories about God and all that, I truly like to listen to Switchfoot and totally respect the fact that their minds belongs to God ...

Christians and Atheists, they both have their opinions, and they should express them and they do so, in my opinion there is no need to feel offended ...

as for me, I'm somewhere in the middle, I don't really deny the reliability of all the stories the bible narrates us, I just question it, and so I am in the middle, cause as I said before, I think that Bible has either been misused, or meant to be a tool, or a path to slavery from the very beginning ...

you know, I can stand an hour in a church, listening to shitty stories, maybe I think my own about it all, but I can keep quiet, so I think that Atheists have their right to express their opinion sharply, nobody asks them to listen to it when they just can't bring themselves through a different opinion ...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

I don't want to be told I'm wrong because I don't share the same beliefs as someone else, that's what I'm saying.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

yes, the song isn't exactly saying that you're wrong, but yes, you can take it that way, but I just take it as a lyrics from the heart .. I even think that people think of it with a little exaggeration if you know what I mean, he just doesn't like the things the Christians have been doing for so many years, and as we all know, those things were wrong and should have never been done ...

I don't think that Frank is angry with God, or that he hates the possibility that something of a higher entity can exist, he just hates that people did so many stupid things because of their belief

as I said before, both of the sides, Christians and Atheists are expressing their opinions right now somewhere, maybe in a bar or in some church, but they are separated, and I think that either both of them are free to talk and speak as if their truth was the right one, or none of them is ...

Christians deny the non-existence of God, Atheists deny the existence, and if you ask me, they can both say whatever they want, cause words don't matter a shit anyway ...

I also love some of the Christians, Sophie Scholl, for example, is one of my favorite people who have ever walked this planet, and she truly had believed in God before she was executed, but that was the pure belief, that I believe that Frank Turner or John Lennon would never say a word against ...

I just still think that no matter how much the lyrics seem to be about religion, they are not against those who do good, but against those who do bad ...

just so that you know who she was, this quote says it pretty much all

"The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'survive.' The honest men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their little lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those who don’t like to make waves—or enemies. Those for whom freedom, honour, truth, and principles are only literature. Those who live small, mate small, die small. It’s the reductionist approach to life: if you keep it small, you’ll keep it under control. If you don’t make any noise, the bogeyman won’t find you. But it’s all an illusion, because they die too, those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what? Life is always on the edge of death; narrow streets lead to the same place as wide avenues, and a little candle burns itself out just like a flaming torch does. I choose my own way to burn."
— Sophie Scholl

and at the end of the day, those little creatures who live small, die small, have killed her, just because she was against the German ideology ...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

just so you know, I didn't read all that. you don't half like to fuckin talk/type!

and I know he probably is talking from the heart about his opinions, but not everyone will take it like that which is why I think it's a bold song to write.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

I was 100% sure that you won't read it, but I don't really care that much XD

Opinions should be expressed, sung to us, that's what it's all about, do what you feel like you wanna do, don't question it ... life is too gay when you do what people want you to do, or say what they wanna hear, it sucks ass, that's why I always say and do what I honestly feel, even when some people won't like me then ...

btw : I would really like to see your wtf face expression when you looked at the length of my post
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

it was more of a "fuck off, I aint reading that!" kind of face!
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

Bobbyjames wrote:I don't want to be told I'm wrong because I don't share the same beliefs as someone else, that's what I'm saying.
thats what i think. us as people will never know until we die if there is a god or not, so to deny the existence of a god isn't the right move for me. organized religion is a shit hole and i see how he can be cynical of that. i just can't listen to and sing along to a song who's chorus is "there never was no god". (which is essentially, funnily enough, a double negative).

GREAT ALBUM THOUGH.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

2712 wrote:
Bobbyjames wrote:I don't want to be told I'm wrong because I don't share the same beliefs as someone else, that's what I'm saying.
thats what i think. us as people will never know until we die if there is a god or not, so to deny the existence of a god isn't the right move for me. organized religion is a shit hole and i see how he can be cynical of that. i just can't listen to and sing along to a song who's chorus is "there never was no god". (which is essentially, funnily enough, a double negative).

GREAT ALBUM THOUGH.
well, I respect and also quite understand your opinion, but still, me as a tolerant, not giving a fuck and rational person, I don't give a dog's shit if Christians talk about God as if it was a fact or if Atheists talk about non-existence of God as if it was for sure ...

and about the double negative, isn't there a thing called Artistic License ? I think it allows artists to fuck up the language to improve their art, or something like that ...
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

I'm bumping this as Frank's new b-side album is out today, it's called The Second Three Years and it has some awesome shit on it, so go buy/download/steal it!
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

great, I'm looking forward to this guy's new stuff

btw bobby, have you seen this ? it's a video where Frank is interviewing Mike Ness, it's a pretty cool talk
http://www.bunch.tv/node/5384
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

New Frank Turner album? Yes please.

http://frank-turner.com/blog/2013/01/ta ... -pre-sale/
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Never heard of any of his material before I bought tickets to his show this Friday. Now starting to love the guy.
Jeremy Kill
Re:

Post by Jeremy Kill »

TomiT14 wrote:Never heard of any of his material before I bought tickets to his show this Friday. Now starting to love the guy.
Love, Ire and Song is my favorite album by him. I'm glad you like him too! :winkwink:
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Re: Re:

Post by Tyler. »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:Never heard of any of his material before I bought tickets to his show this Friday. Now starting to love the guy.
Love, Ire and Song is my favorite album by him. I'm glad you like him too! :winkwink:
Yeah that album fucking rules. I'm not a big fan of his other albums as a whole, but Love Ire & Song is one of my favourite albums by anyone.
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Hi, hello? So, has anyone listened to the new album yet? I just bought it today and I'm really enjoying it. Maybe even more than the past two albums to be honest. They haven't quite hit me like this one. Maybe it the production, but it just sounds so much more bigger while still keeping that Frank Turner charm. Here's a little review from iTunes:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://static.nme.com/images/2013FrankT ... 150113.jpg[/imgwidth]

1. Recovery
2. Losing Days
3. The Way I Tend To Be
4. Plain Sailing Weather
5. Good & Gone
6. Tell Tale Signs
7. Four Simple Words
8. Polaroid Picture
9. The Fisher King Blues
10. Anymore
11. Oh Brother
12. Broken Piano
His fifth studio effort since reinventing himself as a fiery, civic-minded folksinger, Tape Deck Heart finds the former frontman for hardcore punk rockers Million Dead dialing back the political fervor and unleashing a revelatory set of breakup songs, nostalgic ballads, and hedonistic pub rockers that falls somewhere between the wounded blue-collar humor of Billy Bragg and the benevolent swagger of Against Me! Turner's big expressive voice and gift for everyman poetry loom large over the proceedings, but there's a newfound musical effusiveness at play here as well, due in part to some tastefully simple yet sharp production from Rich Costey (Muse, Weezer, Rage Against the Machine). The more contemplative pieces like "Good & Gone," "The Fisher King Blues," and the evocative closer "Broken Piano," all of which balance humor and heartache with remarkable precision, may initially put off fans just looking for the usual Saturday night singalongs, but Turner is such a likable narrator that it's hard not to root for him, even at his most wrecked. Sleek, stylish, yet imbued with the peeling paint and tattered show flyer patina of punk, songs like the somber yet defiant "Recovery," the rousing and sentimental "Oh Brother," and the mosh pit-ready "Four Simple Words," the latter of which, with its rowdy and robust chorus of "I want to dance/I want lust and love and a smattering of romance," seems destined for either an opening or closing slot on the set list for years to come, maintain the camaraderie of the genre while jettisoning its more nihilistic aspects, resulting in what feels more like a brotherly headlock than a combat boot to the noggin.
Four Simple Words is by far my favorite song. Recovery, The Way I Tend to Be and Polaroid Picture are also tunes I enjoyed. Broken Piano is such an eerie closer.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

Really enjoying this, though still prefer the previous album right now. Plenty of great tunes/sing-a-longs though! Agree on the production, sounds massive!
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

Polaroid Picture is probably my favorite track from that album
Jeremy Kill
Re:

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Druska wrote:Polaroid Picture is probably my favorite track from that album
Yeah, that song grew on me fast. It's so sentimental and I love the chorus.

I'll have to listen to England Keep My Bones and Poetry of the Deed again to make a fair judgement on where I place Tape Deck Heart on my favorites list. Love, Ire & Song is probably still my favorite. Great beer drinking music right there.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

My general first impression of this album is that I like it just as much or slightly better than England Keep My Bones, but not as much as Poetry of the Deed or Love, Ire and Song. Recovery has grown on me over time, and the other stand out tracks so far are The Way I Tend to Be, Plain Sailing Weather, Polaroid Picture and the bonus track We Shall Not Overcome. I have to listen to it more, but an album about a breakup is not something i want to listen to while i am trying to remain positive about a personal relationship in real life.

Again, i have to listen to it more but so far I dislike the mastering that has been done to it. The download i have might be "mastered for itunes" (which i'll save for another rant -tl;dr it's bullshit), but many songs seem to be too loud for my tastes. i can hear some distortion in the vocals, especially in songs where its just Frank. I've heard other albums that have worse mastering, and it's all personal tastes, but it makes me sad. Poetry of the Deed has a great overall sound quality about it, I wish this album sounded more like that.

EDIT: i guess it was just my speakers. The mastering doesn't seem as bad on headphones, but the drums on Broken Piano are definitely distorted.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!