BALLADS! I know, I know...

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

BALLADS! I know, I know...

Post by Gregorovich »

Listening to a song like Pieces, With Me and Jimmy Eat World's Hear You Me recently has made me realise that there are some stunning soft, yet epic, ballads and light acoustic songs out there. Take Rise Against's Hero of War. Not their style at all, but exceptional in its own way (I love how the chorus grows more and more sarcastic).

Anyhoo, I was wondering whether anybody would be able to recommend me any decent ballads/soft songs which still retain that crucial epicness? Seems I'm rather in the mood for exciting sombre new music. Feel-good or kill-myself, I'll be happy to attempt to expand my (exttremely-narrow-and-proud) taste in music.
fuck this signature nonsense
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: BALLADS! I know, I know...

Post by TomiT14 »

Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Well thanks... :) I was thinking of something very slightly different but I thought the subject deserved to come up again. /newtopicfail
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Gregorovich wrote:Well thanks... :) I was thinking of something very slightly different but I thought the subject deserved to come up again. /newtopicfail
Well I didn't exactly mean that there's already a topic of this, but more to show you a place to find songs that could fit into that category. :happy:
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

As much as some ballads can be. I do prefer a heavy melodic hardcore song any day :D

I'm into A Beautiful Goodbye - Watchout! There's Ghosts right now.
[donate][/donate]
dbauer91
Billy Spleen
Instrument 2: drums
Instrument 3: keyboard

Post by dbauer91 »

time for an epic list (and don't shun the rap ones without actually giving them a chance - there is such thing as a rap ballad).

alice in chains - nutshell
beatles - let it be; i'll follow the sun
coldplay - prospekt's march; death and all his friends; the scientist; everything's not lost
eminem - going through changes; beautiful; mockingbird; if i had; ROCK BOTTOM (incredibly touching and sad song)
goldfinger - free me (& watch the p.e.t.a. youtube video that goes with it)
immortal technique - leaving the past
jack johnson - cocoon
jet - timothy
john lennon - imagine
modest mouse - bankrupt on selling
oasis - talk tonight; half the world away; don't look back in anger; sad song; wonderwall; married with children; the masterplan; whatever
the offspring - gone away
radiohead - fake plastic trees; high and dry
shakira - underneath your clothes (i don't give a fuck if it's shakira, this song is amazing)
smashing pumpkins - tonight, tonight; stumbleine
sublime - pool shark (acoustic version)
third eye blind - the background; jumper
travis - driftwood; why does it always rain on me?
weezer - butterfly; island in the sun
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

ballads uh? i've got a few not sure if you'll like it, when it comes to ballads my poppy alter ego takes over
let's see, these aren't exactly ballads though
dear god. avenged sevenfold
bon jovi has some great ballads, always , thank you for loving me and bed of roses are my favorites
i don't wanna miss a thing . aerosmith
november rain- guns'n'roses their version of knocking on heavens it's also great
tears in heaven . eric clapton
fall to pieces. velvet revolver
dear mr president- pink, the lyrics are really good
yellow and clock - coldplay, those songs are the only ones i like by them
nothing else matters -metallica
i miss you- blink182
and then of course you've the classics like sinatra or the beatles
i've got more but tns isn't know for its love for celine dion, mariah carey etc... :2cool4u:
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

this...for a gay like me
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Phwoar, wasn't expecting that kinda list. Epic! I'll get round to going through them tomorrow, very interested in that eminem one. My taste in music is very shallow and doesn't extend too far beyond rock, but I might enjoy em.
dbauer91
Billy Spleen

Post by dbauer91 »

Gregorovich wrote:Phwoar, wasn't expecting that kinda list. Epic! I'll get round to going through them tomorrow, very interested in that eminem one. My taste in music is very shallow and doesn't extend too far beyond rock, but I might enjoy em.
no problem man. but seriously, i know that's a shit ton of recs but if you're only gonna check out like 5-10, go with "rock bottom" and "mockingbird" by eminem, "leaving the past" by immortal technique, "don't look back in anger" and "sad song" by oasis, "bankrupt on selling" by modest mouse, "death and all his friends" by coldplay, "cocoon" by jack johnson, "free me" (w/ the p.e.t.a. video) by goldfinger [you'll probably cry], and "why does it always rain on me?" by travis. some of the others i just kinda figure you'd know anyway (i.e. "let it be," "the scientist," "imagine").
but seriously dude, don't shut doors on yourself - give other genres a chance. personally, i used to think anything but rock was shit too, but then eminem blew me away w/ rap and coldplay's softer stuff got to me too, and now i listen to all sorts of shit. at least check out those top recs i gave though, all are fantastic songs.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

you made a pretty good list there ...I could make something like that but maybe tomorrow ...Goldfinger and Travis sounded pretty cool and tehre are maybe 2 other bands that I do not know in your list ...I'll check them out,also tomorrow :P
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Name
Bunkface
First name: Dave
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by Name »

Here is my top 5 ballads and my explanation of meanings/sound and why it makes them so great, that have a rock/pop-punk touch so you might enjoy them.

1. Gob - Banshee Song
Most likely will remain my favorite of all time. just sounds great. The songs intro misleads you(at least it did for me) a bit but the ways it transcends into a soft ballad just sounds perfect to me. It has a perfect mix of guitar and drums so it doesn't get disgustingly sappy through the song. IMO Its about a girl a man loves and she passed away somehow, the man is so distressed that he see's her in his sleep "you leave with a start when i open my eyes, you get shy if i look at you" meaning shes a spirit or he see's her in his dreams
"Love please come and haunt me always
I'll let you come and take me on
Love come taunt me through the whole night
I need to, need to feel your soul"
This could mean he wants her to say with him all night because he can't get over her. You cannot tell if she is a real ghost or if the guys is going crazy from his distress. I think that this song meaning is so interesting and cool for some reason, its pretty much representing that true love never dies.

2. Nine Inch Nails - Hurt:
Trent was going through some serious drug addiction and depression, most likely due to his grandmother (who had raised him) passed away. During this time and it caused a lot of problems in his life and the ones he loved. His singing is so sorrowful and you can feel his emotion. If you dont get choked up to this song, i dont think you have a soul. :hehe: Its hard to add detail to this song, mainly because he doesn't layer his lyrics with hidden messages he just gets straight to the point: I let everyone i love down and if i could start again, i would fix everything.

3. The Clash - Lost In the Supermarket
I'm not completely sure if this is a full on ballad but it very light (the lightest off of London Calling) and it is a bit depressing in a way. This song's about how disenchanted people become with modern society and the way its strips us of our identity.
"I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
A guaranteed personality"
He lived his life like the commercials told him to, as in he followed all the trends thinking they had the answers ("I save coupons from packets of tea / I've got my giant hit discoteque album"). But when he wanted something substantial, personality, although modern culture promised it, it isn't there, hence is lost in the supermarket of modern culture. The meaning alone is great and the singing/instruments are great, one of my favorites

4. Green Day - Macy's Day Parade
Probably my favorite song from Warning. Billy pretty much looks at his fame and the world and how materialistic we are and how we put all our hopes in getting things and having fame and fortune. He sings about how even though he is rich and can get whatever he wants, it is not what makes him happy in the world
"Because Im thinking abouta brand new hope
The one Ive never known,
cause now I know its all that I wanted"
All he wants is for people (including himself) to have hope and interest in something that matters that people take for granite (friends, family, a good life etc.) not in big corporate companies like Macy's who have a parade to advertise all these things you "need" that don't matter. Its a great song with a very deep meaning involved with it.

5. Metallica - Low Man's Lyric
WHAT!?!?! METALLICA? DOING A BALLAD!?! Yes and i would say this is one amazing ballad with a amazing meaning to it. Its is about asking for forgivness from a loved one(family friends etc.) after you hurt them in some way. The lyrics "my fingers feel my veins" represents his depression from all this so he uses drugs to numb his pain. These drugs left the man homeless and is using the remainder of his life looking for forgiveness. "The trash fire is warm" The only place where he finds comfort and warmth from the rest of the worlds problems but it doesn't last long. This could also represent James's alcohol addiction at the time, which he could not control.
Last edited by Name on Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:33 am, edited 5 times in total.
dbauer91
Billy Spleen

Post by dbauer91 »

FuckT41182 wrote:you made a pretty good list there ...I could make something like that but maybe tomorrow ...Goldfinger and Travis sounded pretty cool and tehre are maybe 2 other bands that I do not know in your list ...I'll check them out,also tomorrow :P
right on man, lemme know what you think of them (whoever the 2 you hadn't heard of are).
dbauer91
Billy Spleen

Post by dbauer91 »

Name wrote:While i think Eminem is GREAT at making Ballad rap songs with great meanings, i dont think this person would really be interested due to his "narrowed" music taste. (not being an ass just saying)

Here is my top 5 ballads and my explanation of meanings/sound and why it makes them so great

1. Gob - Banshee Song
Most likely will remain my favorite of all time. just sounds great. The songs intro misleads you(at least it did for me) a bit but the ways it transcends into a soft ballad just sounds perfect to me. It has a perfect mix of guitar and drums so it doesn't get disgustingly sappy through the song. IMO Its about a girl a man loves and she passed away somehow, the man is so distressed that he see's her in his sleep "you leave with a start when i open my eyes, you get shy if i look at you" meaning shes a spirit or he see's her in his dreams
This could mean he wants her to say with him all night because he can't get over her. You cannot tell if she is a real ghost or if the guys is going crazy from his distress. I think that this song meaning is so interesting and cool for some reason, its pretty much representing that true love never dies.

Trent was going through some serious drug addiction and depression, most likely due to his grandmother (who had raised him) passed away. During this time and it caused a lot of problems in his life and the ones he loved. His singing is so sorrowful and you can feel his emotion. If you dont get choked up to this song, i dont think you have a soul. :hehe: Its hard to add detail to this song, mainly because he doesn't layer his lyrics with hidden messages he just gets straight to the point: I let everyone i love down and if i could start again, i would fix everything.

I'm not completely sure if this is a full on ballad but it very light (the lightest off of London Calling) and it is a bit depressing in a way. This song's about how disenchanted people become with modern society and the way its strips us of our identity.
He lived his life like the commercials told him to, as in he followed all the trends thinking they had the answers ("I save coupons from packets of tea / I've got my giant hit discoteque album"). But when he wanted something substantial, personality, although modern culture promised it, it isn't there, hence is lost in the supermarket of modern culture. The meaning alone is great and the singing/instruments are great, one of my favorites

Probably my favorite song from Warning. Billy pretty much looks at his fame and the world and how materialistic we are and how we put all our hopes in getting things and having fame and fortune. He sings about how even though he is rich and can get whatever he wants, it is not what makes him happy in the world
The one Ive never known,
All he wants is for people (including himself) to have hope and interest in something that matters that people take for granite (friends, family, a good life etc.) not in big corporate companies like Macy's who have a parade to advertise all these things you "need" that don't matter. Its a great song with a very deep meaning involved with it.

WHAT!?!?! METALLICA? DOING A BALLAD!?! Yes and i would say this is one amazing ballad with a amazing meaning to it. Its is about asking for forgivness from a loved one(family friends etc.) after you hurt them in some way. The lyrics "my fingers feel my veins" represents his depression from all this so he uses drugs to numb his pain. These drugs left the man homeless and is using the remainder of his life looking for forgiveness. "The trash fire is warm" The only place where he finds comfort and warmth from the rest of the worlds problems but it doesn't last long. This could also represent James's alcohol addiction at the time, which he could not control.
i already knew the green day one, but i had never heard banshee song before - GREAT rec. the chorus is fucking amazing!
Name
Bunkface
First name: Dave
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by Name »

dbauer91 wrote:
Name wrote:While i think Eminem is GREAT at making Ballad rap songs with great meanings, i dont think this person would really be interested due to his "narrowed" music taste. (not being an ass just saying)

Here is my top 5 ballads and my explanation of meanings/sound and why it makes them so great

1. Gob - Banshee Song

The one Ive never known,

i already knew the green day one, but i had never heard banshee song before - GREAT rec. the chorus is fucking amazing!
Wait im a bit bad with computer talk xD what do you mean by rec.? :hehe:
Raku
Ma Poubelle
First name: Scott
PSN ID: MySummerJob
Instrument 1: Vocals
Last.fm Username: MySummerJob
Twitter: MySummerJob

Post by Raku »

Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

Name wrote:Here is my top 5 ballads and my explanation of meanings/sound and why it makes them so great, that have a rock/pop-punk touch so you might enjoy them.

1. Gob - Banshee Song

The one Ive never known,

You are amazing! I've heard all of these in my day, and they're all epic. Especially the Metallica one! :D
Janet
Pedo

Post by Janet »

Can't name much of what hasn't already posted before, but
Counting Crows- Colorblind
Red- Nothing and Everything
Jeff Buckley- Hallelujah (I doubt you've never heard this, but still, Jeff Buckley is awesome.)
HIM- In the Arms of Rain (acoustic)
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Right! I've really got it cut out for me :S I'll make my way through that list. Personally I like something intellectual as well as touching :silly:
Personally I think among my favourite ballads/sombres are Ellis Paul's The World Ain't Slowing Down (A great feel-good ballad), Home by Foo Fighers (One of the most touching songs i have ever heard), Restless Heart Syndome (Green day- EPIC), LP's Iridescent, Hero of War, and possibly The Who's Behind Blue Eyes.

OH OH AND FREEBIRD IF IT COUNTS :2cool4u:
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

Janet wrote:

Jeff Buckley- Hallelujah (I doubt you've never heard this, but still, Jeff Buckley is awesome.)
geez i love that song