Rise Against

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Re: Rise Against

Post by Dylan »

Actually, you may be right :/
The second song you released online, “Architects,” a lot of people have been curious about the line, “Don’t you remember when you were young / How you wanted to set the world on fire,” which seems to be quoting Against Me! Was that what Tim was aiming for, if you know?

I think Against Me! is a great band. To me, that song was a little disappointing. I think Tom wrote that song to get a reaction, and he definitely got a reaction from Tim because it inspired him enough to write “Architects.” I think it’s just two different takes. I wouldn’t want to put words in anyone’s mouth. I’m not sure exactly why Tom wrote that song, but I can cay we’re still inspired by the things that founded punk rock. There’s validity to it and we don’t want to invalidate it just because we’re older now. I think with any scene there’s going to be people in it for the wrong reasons, and maybe that was Tom’s experience. I’m not sure. I just felt like that was the response to Tom’s song. It’s definitely not a personal thing with us and Against Me!
http://absolutepunk.net/showthread.php? ... st86637912
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

So i read somewhere that they sold out a 13 000 capacity arena, when the fuck did they become SO big? I knew Savior and Hero Of War where appealing to the mainstream, but 13 000?! Jesus...

I'd love to see them in a small club like this again...
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

well, I think that it's more of a ''building a fanbase throughout the years'' thing than ''being popular'' thing ...

I mean, Sum 41 also had 15 000 people at France, didn't they ? and UH wasn't exactly a dream album
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Emil
Underclass Hero

Post by Emil »

FuckT41182 wrote:well, I think that it's more of a ''building a fanbase throughout the years'' thing than ''being popular'' thing ...

I mean, Sum 41 also had 15 000 people at France, didn't they ? and UH wasn't exactly a dream album
Yeah, they sure as hell weren't an overnight success but 13 000? Even though TSATW did relatively well commercially neither of the singles were as big as Savior. What the hell happened?
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

they managed to put thoughtful lyrics into energetic pop songs that people like. unfortunately, not as many people listen to the lyrics and truly think about them. truth be told, more people than you think like Rise Against just because of the melody and because other people like them.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Emil
Underclass Hero

Post by Emil »

I think their lyrics has been getting gradually worse since SSOCC.

From this,
to this
Now i have nothing against songs about relationships but they did it so much better before.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

This is why Tim McIlrath can be considered a god amongst men.
fuck this signature nonsense
silverdolphin
Hooch
First name: Zee
Instrument 2: Keyboard
Instrument 3: Bass

Post by silverdolphin »

Gregorovich wrote:This is why Tim McIlrath can be considered a god amongst men.
That's so awesome & humble of him! He even donated the money.
Shows how being a "rockstar" doesn't affect some people.
hellsong41
First name: Chris

Post by hellsong41 »

silverdolphin wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:This is why Tim McIlrath can be considered a god amongst men.
That's so awesome & humble of him! He even donated the money.
Shows how being a "rockstar" doesn't affect some people.
If there's one person people should look up to, it's Tim. He's talented, doesn't have a "I'm a rockstar, screw off" attitude, and is kind hearted enough to donate the money. I'm surprised that some people could just walk past him without even a second look though. I mean, he's Tim McIlrath!
Believe me, it's alright.
It's so easy after all...
Emil
Underclass Hero

Post by Emil »

I've been listening to Revolutions Per Minutes alot latley and i can't find one bad thing about that record. It's so raw and filled with emotions and Liek The Angel is one of the best songs i've ever heard.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Emil wrote:I've been listening to Revolutions Per Minutes alot latley and i can't find one bad thing about that record. It's so raw and filled with emotions and Liek The Angel is one of the best songs i've ever heard.
Honestly I don't like their old stuff nearly as much. I don't know why, but I feel Appeal to Reason was one of my favourite albums of all time. Rise Against are one of the only bands I've ever heard of who have actually got the political music thing right.
Emil
Underclass Hero

Post by Emil »

Gregorovich wrote:
Emil wrote:I've been listening to Revolutions Per Minutes alot latley and i can't find one bad thing about that record. It's so raw and filled with emotions and Liek The Angel is one of the best songs i've ever heard.
Honestly I don't like their old stuff nearly as much. I don't know why, but I feel Appeal to Reason was one of my favourite albums of all time. Rise Against are one of the only bands I've ever heard of who have actually got the political music thing right.
Appeal To Reason is a great record but to me it doesn't have the same feeling as the four previous records, there are some killer songs on there like Audience Of One and Whereabouts Unknown but there also a couple of weird songs on it. I hate to admit it but Savior is also a great song even though all those people who only like the band because of that song ruins it for me.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Emil wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:
Appeal To Reason is a great record but to me it doesn't have the same feeling as the four previous records, there are some killer songs on there like Audience Of One and Whereabouts Unknown but there also a couple of weird songs on it. I hate to admit it but Savior is also a great song even though all those people who only like the band because of that song ruins it for me.
I think From Heads Unworthy pretty much sums up the overall feel of that record. It's sinister, political, and almost apocalyptic but is still an amazing song. The singles like Audience of One, Saviour & Her of War do get old quickly, but I think it's the feel and sound of the album as a whole which makes it so great.
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

has anyone seen the new music video for satellite? i just saw it...it was quite a bummer actually.
It was basically a "Baby you dont wanna know" for Rise Against. It just sucks because that song could've made a great REAL music video for that song. And "Help Is On the Way" doesnt even SHOW the band....so i could hardly consider that a music video too....
but make it stop was great :).....satellite was a bummer
Emil
Underclass Hero

Post by Emil »

I'm fairly certain they're gonna release a fourth singel aswell so that may very well have a real music video.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

It seems like bands (or labels) don't invest any real music videos anymore. I was also bummed with the video for Satellite. I hate this videos which are just a compilation of live and backstage footage or whatever.. especially with the Sums cuz SBM (the song) had an unofficial video like that.. then the BYDWK was also such a video, and now Rise Against also does that.

I think the only labels that still care to actually do music videos are the smaller ones, like Epitaph, and all those metalcore/post hardcore labels like Rise, Tragic Hero, Victory, etc. Cuz I mean, Parkway Drive got like 4 videos from their last album and the Sums or Rise Against should be considered bigger bands.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Live Music Videos are hard to get right, but look pretty awesome when you do. East Jesus Nowhere for example - that song did deserve a real video but the live one was fairly cool too.
Emil
Underclass Hero

Post by Emil »

Hentaiman wrote:It seems like bands (or labels) don't invest any real music videos anymore. I was also bummed with the video for Satellite. I hate this videos which are just a compilation of live and backstage footage or whatever.. especially with the Sums cuz SBM (the song) had an unofficial video like that.. then the BYDWK was also such a video, and now Rise Against also does that.

I think the only labels that still care to actually do music videos are the smaller ones, like Epitaph, and all those metalcore/post hardcore labels like Rise, Tragic Hero, Victory, etc. Cuz I mean, Parkway Drive got like 4 videos from their last album and the Sums or Rise Against should be considered bigger bands.
Rise Against has allready released two real music videos for this album, they chos themselves not to appear in the video for Help Is On The Way cause they felt it would take away from the message of the video and besides they had five videos for Appeal To Reason, Rise Against is a much bigger band than Sum 41 nowdays and their label lets them do whatever they want basically and still pays for it.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

They actually had 4 videos on Appeal to Reason, but Hero of War wasn't a single, so they only had 3 singles basically which isn't that much. In their previous album they had 5 singles, 4 of which got a music video, while the Sums also had only 3 singles on UH (but at least all three got real normal music videos). Compare it to AKNF era Sums which had 4 singles and 4 real videos on AKNF.

Still, Rise Against are bigger than Sums, it's obvious, but what i'm trying to say is that even they are in decline right now, and it's the smaller labels that hold most of the metalcore/deathcore bands like Victory Records and Rise Records that really invest in their bands. I mean, metalcore/hardcore bands get music videos regularly and they're never even live/a compilation of life and backstage footage videos. Look at A Day to Remember or Parkway Drive for example.
Last edited by Hentaiman on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

Gregorovich wrote:Live Music Videos are hard to get right, but look pretty awesome when you do. East Jesus Nowhere for example - that song did deserve a real video but the live one was fairly cool too.
really? cause i didnt like that one honestly.....all the same camera angles. I just really dont like live videos.....even though Over My Head was pretty good....