Another day with Sum 41...

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Lars
All Killer No Filler

Another day with Sum 41...

Post by Lars »

Well, here's my review of a very awesome day.

Yesterday, it was the Crammerock festival in Belgium and I had the occasion to get backstage. My name was on the guest list.

But when I arrived yesterday, there seemed to be a little problem. I was put -as i said- on the guest list, but apparently, there was a backstage list as well. So I only got a free ticket to the festival, not a backstage pass.

So I entered the festival, trying to reach the backstage from there. I told the security guys that I ‘know’ Matt, as a member of TNS and a huge fan of the band, but none of them believed me.

So I went out, walked about 6 miles to reach the festival area from the other side, you know ‘the VIP -and artists entrance’. Told them the same story, told I 'know' Matt and that I'm a member of a famous Sum 41-fansite. I showed them the bottle of Jack I bought for Cone's birthday. One security guy allowed me to hand it over, but he only gave me 2 minutes for that.

But, as a gift from above, I bumped into Matt. I was like "Hey, you're Matt, right?! Well hi, I'm Lars from TNS! I'm having some trouble getting backstage, could you explain him the full story?" (while pointing at the security-guy).

Matt did, and so I finally got my backstage pass, after about 2.5 hours. I had a little chat with Matt, he said that this happens all of the time at festivals. He also told me that everyone was still asleep, but that we would put up a meeting later on.

So I just took a seat and had some free drinks when suddenly Steve appeared. I quickly introduced myself but as he just woke up, we just agreed we would meet up again, later.

I went back to the festival area, checking out some Belgian bands, had some food etc.

After an hour and a half or so, I returned to the backstage. There was some sort of party going on, with lots of drinks and snacks. I even had a little bit of lobster! But as I was getting bored, I decided just to leave that party and sit back and relax at the bar nearby.

As I was sitting there, Cone appeared with his iMac, probably checking the birthday-wishes he got. I grabbed my Jack, introduced myself again, gave him the bottle and told him I won’t be disturbing any longer while he was checking his e-mails etc.

When he left the bar, he said spontaneously “Thanks again for the Jack, man!” and give me a tap on the shoulder. A few moments later, Matt and Deryck entered the place to have dinner. Matt: “Hey thanks for the Jack you gave Cone!” Deryck: “Owh shit, today’s his birthday?”. We laughed, had a quick chat and I just let them have their food.

I came out of the bar, saw Tom and handed him over some Belgian chocolate and said that I would be waiting right after the show to have a quick meet ‘n greet.
As I was texting my friends about me seeing Sum 41, Matt appeared and asked me: “So, you wanna follow the show on stage?”. Of course, I didn’t hesitate and got my ass up there. I made some pictures.

The show hadn’t even started yet, or a local security guy came over: “What the fuck are you doing here? Go standing over there!” and he pointed me the spot a couple of meters further, which was not ON the stage anymore, but really ASIDE. Bummer.

When the guys came running on stage, Matt said “Hey man, get your ass back up there!”. And so I did. Their first song –The Hell Song- reached its first chorus when the security guy almost literally dragged me off stage. “Final warning dude! Once more and you’ll be kicked out of the festival!”. Bummer, once more.

But then, during their second song –We’re All To Blame- Deryck invited –as he always does- a bunch of fans to come on stage. And so did I. I went back on stage. Five seconds later, the security guy showed up again and got really angry when he saw me standing there. But then he saw all the others, and was like “Huh?”. He then asked Matt about all of this and Matt said it was his responsibility now.

During the entire show Chris Holland was standing right next to me.

While Stevo was soloing (during KOC) Deryck came over to us and hugged us etc. By then, we already got some guitar picks from the guitar tech, super awesome dude by the way.

When Still Waiting kicked in, the rest of the fans had to leave and had to go back to the festival area. I said I was there with Matt and I would watch the last songs from aside the stage.

So when they finished Fat Lip, they came off stage. Stevo was like “Hey maaaaaan, how’d you like thaaaat?!” and Cone and Deryck gave me a high five.

After that, I waited for another 30 minutes, while they were changing clothes etc. Tom came out, but didn’t say anything, I just said it was kick ass. After him Stevo came, and he had some French fries a dude offered him.

Matt and Deryck showed up, and me and Deryck had a chat about the new record, about the release date and so on. He thanked me like three times for being such a fan.

Last, but not least, Cone showed up. We talked about the show, about the Jack I gave him and said he would like to meet up again when they’re back in Belgium. We walked to the bus and said goodbye.

I really had an awesome day.

Here is some ‘new’ stuff you’d like to hear:
-The record’s probably coming out in February (from Deryck)
-A single will probably be released in December (Deryck)
-The new single will be either Screaming Bloody Murder or Blood In My Eyes (Matt)
-The record is all done and sounds really fucking amazing! (Matt)

Deryck and Cone are really really nice guys. When I was talking to them, I didn’t get the feeling of talking to rockstars, but to normal, down-to-earth guys. They’re really kind.

And so is Matt. At first, I didn’t like him. I mean, the first update he showed up in, I didn’t like him. But the updates after that one, see him cleaning all of the stuff etc opened my eyes. Nic and Heather already said he’s a really cool guy, and he really really is. He’s extremely awesome and cares a lot about us, fans. During the show, he was constantly filming and taking pictures, by the way.
He really surprised me, in a really good way. I love him.

Share your thoughts, please.
Last edited by Lars on Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Aaron
Underclass Hero
First name: Aaron
360 Gamer Tag: xRG West
Instrument 1: Trumpet
Instrument 2: Guitar

Re: Another day with Sum 41...

Post by Aaron »

nice info, sounds like an amazing day besides your meetings with security lol
"Nice Guys Finish Last" -Leo Durocher
My masters are Still Waiting and Madjid
My Brothers and Sisters are Jake, Sara, and Heather.
My Noobs are Sum41Ant27 turtlehobopirate. My Grand-Noob is GutterDreams.
We have a messed up family :)
Winton89
Hooch
First name: Conor
360 Gamer Tag: Winton89
PSN ID: DYNAmonkeys
Instrument 1: Your Mom
Instrument 2: My 360 controller

Post by Winton89 »

The albums coming out in February? I thought it was coming out in October?
Still Waiting wrote:final countdown is one of the best songs eva written
Wait! I can haz a twitter 0_o
http://twitter.com/Conorcopia

AND a facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/ConorDavidThompson
CHARLEY <3
Stef
Walking Disaster
First name: Stef
Instrument 2: Drums

Post by Stef »

Great. Are u going to the eastpak tour? Yes, great. I'll be your shadow.

Some days it just gets so hard
And I don’t wanna slip away.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Cool for you, but walking six miles? That's pretty fanboyy.
shadowred3
First name: jonah

Post by shadowred3 »

any news on the 12 minute song??? or is that the single??
Zell1010
Billy Spleen
First name: Andy
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Zell1010 »

Sounds like a pretty rad day with the Sums. Thanks for the info. Now I can try and preoccupy myself with things until February.
Andyrew004
First name: Andrew

Post by Andyrew004 »

Duude that's so awesome! I was always afraid of meeting the sums, because I thought they would end up being total dicks and i would be disappointed lol. but now I want to meet them pretty badly.

Heh you should've flipped off the security guard and told him to suck it after Matt said it was cool for you to be on stage. jk :silly:

I'm definitely jealous of you! :glad:
~Andyrew004
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

the security on stage is always a problem, I had the same issue..but I guess I can understand their concern and such

Great review, pics and videos to come perhaps? :)
Susanne
Goon

Post by Susanne »

I hate reading these stories about people meeting Sum 41 cause they make me so jealous :glad:
You're so lucky
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

Emil wrote:Cool for you, but walking six miles? That's pretty fanboyy.
Meh, it's not that bad.. I dunno how long it took them, but it would take me about 2 hours to walk that.

But, that's awesome! Thanks for the info!
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

So the closest thing for us to hear new music from Sum 41 is the 12 minute song. And you didn't get any info on that?

You should be ashamed haha.
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

kILLDR3n wrote:So the closest thing for us to hear new music from Sum 41 is the 12 minute song. And you didn't get any info on that?

You should be ashamed haha.
I didn't really think of that, actually. I'd get the same answer as we already gotten so many times: yeah, still waiting to release it, we don't have an official title for it yet, it's pretty intense, dark and heavy, but it has some mellow parts too...

I guess I was just too excited.

@Heather: uploading pics right now, videos tomorrow!
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

Awesome man! Great insight and sounds like such a great experience, I'm so happy for you!

How about I do the same thing when they're coming here? After all those years and recently driving all the way through Germany to the T-Mobile Extreme Playgrounds without even a ticket or anything in my pocket, I think I have proven myself to be a worthy fanboy. Plus, I still want to follow though with the bumper sticker thing! I'm not giving up until it's got a place on D's ridiculous Maserati, haha.
I just need to get in touch with Matt like that.. *pleadingly looking at Heather*
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Nic
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Nic

Post by Nic »

Glad you got the chance to be up and close and meet the band. It's quite the experience.
fenderrocks wrote:the security on stage is always a problem, I had the same issue..but I guess I can understand their concern and such
I had the same problem. The guards were like, "Wheres your pass?!?!?". I was like, "I'm with the band". They would of kicked me off the stage if Chris Holland didn't jump in a cover for me. "He's cool!," he said. Haha.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

Nic wrote:Glad you got the chance to be up and close and meet the band. It's quite the experience.
fenderrocks wrote:the security on stage is always a problem, I had the same issue..but I guess I can understand their concern and such
I had the same problem. The guards were like, "Wheres your pass?!?!?". I was like, "I'm with the band". They would of kicked me off the stage if Chris Holland didn't jump in a cover for me. "He's cool!," he said. Haha.
Haha, how many times has a security guard heard that one?
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

That's awesome Lars! Can't wait to see some videos! Now I wonder how many people who aren't from TNS will abuse the "I'm from TNS!" pass... :confused:
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

At least one :devious:
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Memoire
First name: Sven

Post by Memoire »

How did u get on this guest-list? :D

Congratulations..seems like that was the best day of your life! :D
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

Nic wrote:Glad you got the chance to be up and close and meet the band. It's quite the experience.
haha, yeah Tom and Cone's guitar tech and Dan had to cover because the dude kept coming after me...I was like stay back hippie freak. You probably saw him, he was the dude with no shirt and long hair