Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Stuff you should or want to know about Sum 41

Post by Simon »

_____

WORK IN PROGRESS

This is where you can ask questions about Sum 41 and find answers to common questions, which have already been answered by the bandmembers before or can also possibly be also answered by fans. Feel free to browse, contribute or correct. We are just getting started, but hopefully this will stay work-in-progress forever, as there will always be more new stuff to find out about them.

_____ What does the 32 in Stevo32 stand for?
______(answered by Stevo @ sum41.com; November 8 , 2006)
It's my waist-size. Or was... I've packed on a few since we took our break. I'm now Stevo 38 1/2.

_____ Why is Tom's nickname Brown Tom?
______(answered by Stevo @ sum41.com; May 12, 2009)
When he started playing with us I wanted his opinion on something and I said, "What do you think Brown...Tom?" Almost saying "Brown Sound" and the name stuck.

_____ Why is that song on Chuck called 88?
______(answered by Stevo, Deryck & Cone @ sum41.com / other interviews; November 7 , 2006)
88 is the tempo of the song - 88 beats per minute. I suppose we could have also called in 176, or 44 - but we thought 88 was the cooler number.

_____ What was title for Chuck before he saved your lives?
______(answered by Deryck @ sum41.com; July 31 , 2006)
Hot Blonde Snooter Sandwhich.

_____ How did the songtitle for Crazy Amanda Bunkface come up?
______(answered by Deryck @ sum41.com; October 29 , 2006)
It was this crazy chick that I dated in high school when I was around 15. She was nuts, but she had a car. So that was cool.

_____ Why did you become a vegetarian/vegan?
______(answered by Stevo @ sum41.com; August 3 , 2006)
I stopped eating meat, because I like animals and the environment. It's very easy and it keeps you thin and fit! Just be sure to eat a variety of foods and (like any diet) avoid junk food. If you are Vegan, try not to be a militant one. Remember, everyone's shit stinks (although ours may smell better...).

_____ Do you have a name for your penis?
______(answered by Stevo @ sum41.com; August 4 , 2006)
Mr. Midnight.

_____ How did you guys come up with Pain For Pleasure?
______(answered by Cone @ sum41.com; August 7 , 2006)
It was just a song at first, that we were playing around with when we were doing demos for All Killer, No Filler and then we recorded it and thought it was funny. So we named our alter ego band Pain For Pleasure. Steve actually wrote the lyrics to that song in 5 or 10 minutes while he was taking a shit in the studio bathroom.

_____ What does the title T.H.T. stand for?
______(Cone @ sum41.com; August 25 , 2006)[/b]
Tables Have Turned.

_____ Where did you get the concept/idea for the Some Say video?
______(answered by Cone @ sum41.com; October 13 , 2006)
The idea came from an indie movie called Dogville and then we just came up with some other ideas to fill out the video.

_____ When did you start playing drums?
______(answered Stevo @ sum41.com; October 27 , 2006)
When I was 12. I never really practiced diligently. I'm 25 now and this past year is the most I've ever practiced in my life. It makes things a lot easier when you haven't got a life.

_____ What do you use on your hair?
______(answered by Deryck @ sum41.com; October 29 , 2006)
Try Murry's wax. You can get it at any drug store. That shit works the best.

_____ What does the title Hyper-Insomnia-Para-Condriod mean?
______(answered by Deryck @ sum41.com; November 1 , 2006)
It means hypochondriac insomniac paranoid freak. I wrote it about myself.

_____ What is your favorite band besides your own?
______(answered by Deryck @ sum41.com; November 4 , 2006)
Oasis or The Beatles.

_____ What has been your favorite album to make?
______(answered by Stevo @ sum41.com; November 6 , 2006)
All Killer, No Filler was fun to make. So far, this new one (Underclass Hero) has been very exciting. Does This Look infected? was a good time. Chuck was a cluster-fuck.

_____ How did you guys meet?
______(answered by Stevo @ sum41.com; November 6 , 2006)
We met in high-school although, we didn't spend much time there together. I'm not sure who did and didn't graduate...

_____ Did you sing in any of the songs on Underclass Hero?
______(answered by Stevo @ sum41.com; Jun 12, 2007)
I tried on one (Ma Poubelle), but it sounded like a dying warthog, so Deryck sang it instead.

_____ What songs on Underclass Hero did the working titles Nacho Libre,
______Mr Plow and Pla become?
______(answered by Stevo @ sum41.com; Jul 31, 2007)
Pla became a B-side and Mr. Plow became Speak of the Devil. I don't remember the other one.

_____ Who plays the record company boss in the Still Waiting video?
______(answered by Stevo @ sum41.com; November 8 , 2006)
That's actor/comedian Will Sasso. Fun Fact: Will Sasso smells really good!

_____ Does your mom like Sum 41??
______(answered by Deryck @ sum41.com; January 19 , 2007)
She's the biggest fan.

_____ How old were you the first time you got drunk?
______(answered by Deryck @ sum41.com; January 19 , 2007)
I think I was around 14 or 15. I was with Stevo and we drank a whole bottle of Gold Schlager. It was a mess.

_____ If you weren't in a band, what would you do for a living?
______(answered by Stevo @ sum41.com; January 21 , 2007)
Bikini inspector or wet T-Shirt competition referee or judge.

_____ How old is your oldest friend?
______(answered by Deryck @ sum41.com; January 26 , 2007)
My oldest friend is Stevo. We've know each other for 12 years (since 1994).

_____ Do you guys smoke?
______(answered by Stevo @ sum41.com; Jun 15, 2007)
Cool kids don't smoke.

_____ Why and when did you start playing guitar?
______(answered by Dave @ Fansite Connection Q&A; 7/7/09)
I think mainly it was an impulse choice, I don't think I quite understood the amount of psychological help the guitar would help me find in myself. So it's hard to answer what led me there. I would say nothing spoke to me more than music, so I would have ended up with something musical.

_____ Which Sum41 song can you relate to the most and why?
______(answered by Dave @ Fansite Connection Q&A; 7/7/09)
Makes No Difference I think that personifies the caribbean mindset most accurately.

_____ What was your most memorable experience while in Sum 41?
______(answered by Dave @ Fansite Connection Chat; 11/27/09)
For sure it was touring. I got to see some very unique aspects of a lot of countries. I got to play some awesome venues and meet some friends that I keep in contact with to this day.

_____ How do you feel about So Long Goodbye?
I think to be remembered with a song is one of the greatest honors.

_____ Do you regret leaving Sum 41 sometimes?
I think If I didn't have regrets about leaving I wouldn't have such good feelings about my time there. It's kind of a bittersweet trade off.

_____ Did you listen to Underclass Hero demos before leaving?
Yeah I had gotten the CD and I wasn't pleased with our direction. I must stress that the album is very good, I just had heavier expectations.

_____ What was your favorite Sum 41 song?
I liked Mr. Amsterdam.

_____ Why and when did you start playing guitar?
______(answered by Tom @ Fansite Connection Q&A; 7/4/09)
i actually started playing drums but couldn't afford a good drum set on my paperboy wages so i got a guitar. i was into metal before i discovered punk, i learned to play by ear listening to guns n roses and metallica.

_____ Template?
______(answered by Tom @ Fansite Connection ; )
Yes, please.

_____ Template?
Yes, please.

_____ Template?
Yes, please.

_____ Template?
Yes, please.

_____ Template?
Yes, please.

_____ Template?
______(answered by Deryck, Stevo & Cone @ sum41.com; )
Yes, please.

Alright, I read some of the very first Q&A on sum41.com the other day and I realized that there is a lot of funny and interesting shit to find there and also some questions, that I remembered randomly having/wondering but never thought about again, which were answered there. I already forgot what they were again (lol), but I'm going to look into it .. again.

So since the last chat with Deryck did'nt exactly bringt the enlightenment many of us hoped for, I thought:
Why not create a collection of 'to-be-answered' questions and known funfacts about Sum 41? May be with a little categorization, so people who are new on TNS can come or be referred here to get their questions answered and can even ask new ones we never thought about, instead of creating a new thread everytime they want to know something general about Sum 41 (yes, there a search button, but to be honest who likes being told to use the search engine and also, this seems much more efficient and fun).
So it is kind of like an FAQ but more than that and interactive. You could even put a link in the "band" submenu on the main site and let the band know about it, so they can come here when they have some spare time and randomly answer some of the good questions or clear up false information etc. instead of those chaotic chats every once in a while. Or just create a poll and send them a list with the Top10 most interesting questions every two months or so.
Okay, slow down, breathe, one step at a time, haha.

What do you think?
Last edited by Simon on Mon May 17, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 11 times in total.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Re: Stuff you should or want to know about Sum 41

Post by Jake-41 »

Sounds like a really awesome idea to me.

I was gonna do the same thing, but there was just so many pages of Q&A i could not make it through all of them.
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

yeah thats a good idea, my friend and I were making a collection of Q&A's for Evan Taubenfeld because the same questions kept getting asked over and over, we kind of abandoned the site we were working on because of album delays, but TNS should totally do one for Sum41
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

Okay then let's get started. I will plow through the official Q&A from the bottom (was going to do that with my brother this weekend anyway, to look for funny stuff) and make a list, sorting them into: GoodToKnow, Touring and Just4Fun/Nonsense/EverythingElse.
I will also come up with a good temporary format/layout in the first post.

Seeing how slow sum41.com is when accessing the Q&A, this is would take me forever without help. There are 3733 entries with everyone of them having an individual ID, so I think we can divide them into range segments pretty easily, so everyone who likes to contribute, can do so without doing double work accidentially.

Or does anyone know if you can write a PHP script or something to download all the questions and answers without having to manually go through the site all the time? That would be great.
- Stevo32

sumfan4
Jessica Kill
First name: Eric
Instrument 1: vajayjay
Instrument 2: my weiner
Instrument 3: your weiner

Post by sumfan4 »

OMG doesn't everybody know why it's called 88 by now???? Like seriously people who have never heard of Sum 41 know why it's called 88. It's annoying to read every other question on the Q&A asking the sums that question. :suicide:
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

sumfan4 wrote:OMG doesn't everybody know why it's called 88 by now???? Like seriously people who have never heard of Sum 41 know why it's called 88. It's annoying to read every other question on the Q&A asking the sums that question. :suicide:
yeah like OMG totally, like that wasn't a joke at all, srsly????? haha

I've heard that question so often, that I almost begin looking forward to it being asked again and again, because I wonder when they will start making fun of it (something like: We just really admire Hitler because he was so hardcore, so we dedicated a song to him)

Btw. feel free to begin posting new questions.
- Stevo32

Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

sumfan4 wrote:OMG doesn't everybody know why it's called 88 by now???? Like seriously people who have never heard of Sum 41 know why it's called 88. It's annoying to read every other question on the Q&A asking the sums that question. :suicide:
Yeah I was gonna say I thought people knew, but just incase they don't know why it's because.....

there's 88 beats per minute right? Please for the love of God tell me I'm right!
silverdolphin
Hooch
First name: Zee
Instrument 2: Keyboard
Instrument 3: Bass

Post by silverdolphin »

Great idea ! but unfortunately I don't have any questions right now ..
Last edited by silverdolphin on Thu May 13, 2010 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
patenttiftw
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Aarne
360 Gamer Tag: partonen2
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: Gobbed

Post by patenttiftw »

Sum41Ant27 wrote:
Yeah I was gonna say I thought people knew, but just incase they don't know why it's because.....

there's 88 beats per minute right? Please for the love of God tell me I'm right!
88=HH=Heil Hitler

Nah, just kidding, I remember that Cone said it was the bass bit rate or something, not sure though..
Last edited by patenttiftw on Thu May 13, 2010 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Patentti wrote:
Sum41Ant27 wrote:

88=HH=Heil Hitler

Nah, just kidding, I remember that Cone said it was the bass bit rate or something, not sure though..
If it is then that's quite piss poor. I'm pretty sure it's the BPM in the song but I have never been that much of a fan that I'd measure the music to find out.
[donate][/donate]
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

Haha, didn't expect everyone to jump at that again.. just remembered it because someone was kidding about it in the Deryck chat so I put it up there. I even put :suicide: :devious: behind it.... come on! Do I look like such noob, just because I have not that many posts? I am so disapponed!

But yes, 88 is the BPM (beats per minute) of the song, they just didn't come up with a real title for it, so it stayed.
At least that's what they said multiple times. Someone should verify that, nobody can be trusted these days... may be they are in fact secretly nazis hiding behind a pop-punk-rock facade, spreading their hidden hate beliefs.

So, I guess we already have our #1 funfact.
silverdolphin wrote:Great idea ! but unfortunately I don't have any questions right now ..
That's the point. Whenever a question comes up: You just come here and ask or find the answer.
- Stevo32

Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Maybe throw in how their nicknames originated. I know that it's pretty basic stuff for the hardcore fan, but someone who just got into the band (maybe even during Chuck) might not even know.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

I'll make sure that goes in there, it's probably going to come up in the Q&A's anyway.

But before putting a lot of effort in the content, I would like to make sure the styling/structure is okay and serves the purpose. Is the font too big? I really like it for the easy overview and readability, but it will take an enormous amount of space after a hundred questions or so.

Or does anyone know if you can write a PHP script or something to download all the questions and answers without having to manually go through the site (sum41.com) all the time? That would be great.
Anyone? I hate that site .. I can build one faster than it loads sometimes.
- Stevo32

Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Looks really good, nice and tidy for now. I'm not sure how it will be when there's hundreds of questions on there or how we decide on splitting up the categories. We could maybe color code them for certain types of questions like "Personal," "Music," and "Live Show" or something to that effect.

Anyway, the way you have it right now looks great.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Maybe throw in how their nicknames originated. I know that it's pretty basic stuff for the hardcore fan, but someone who just got into the band (maybe even during Chuck) might not even know.
Yeah, I'm sick of these "where does the name 'Bizzy' comes from?" questions.

Here are some facts from Q&A. Not all of them are post-worthy though.
Answer:
thanks a lot. the reason i named it 88 is because that was the tempo of the song. so my working title was 88. then i decided to keep it 88 because i thought it sounded like a cool title.
answered by deryck on Tuesday, August 1 , 2006 7:46 PM
Answer:
88 is the tempo of the song - 88 beats per minute. I suppose we could have also called in 176, or 44 - but we thought 88 was the cooler number.
answered by Stevo on Tuesday, November 7 , 2006 7:25 PM
Question:
Why the 32 in STEVO32 ??
asked by Knoxville41- Brazil on Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Answer:
It's my waist-size. Or was... I've packed on a few since we took our break. I'm now Stevo 38 1/2.
answered by Stevo on Wednesday, November 8 , 2006 6:49 PM
Question:
Why Tom's nickname is "Brown Tom"?
asked by patentti on May 10, 2009 12:49pm

Answer:
When he started playing with us I wanted his opinion on something and I said, "What do you think Brown...Tom" Almost saying "Brown Sound" and the name stuck.
answered by Stevo on May 12, 2009 3:11pm
Question:
if chuck didn't save your lives, what would that album have been called?
asked by yooori on Monday, July 31, 2006

Answer:
hot blonde snooter sandwhich
answered by deryck on Monday, July 31 , 2006 6:09 AM
Question:
Where did you get the name Crazy Amanda Bunkface from?
asked by SINBAD on Sunday, October 29, 2006

Answer:
it was this crazy chick that i dated in high school when i was around 15. she was nuts. but she had a car so that was cool.
answered by deryck on Sunday, October 29 , 2006 4:03 AM
Answer:
I stopped eating meat because I like animals and the environment. It's very easy and it keeps you thin and fit! Just be sure to eat a variety of foods and (like any diet) avoid junk food. If you are Vegan, try not to be militant one. Remember, everyone's shit stinks (although ours may smell better...).
answered by Stevo on Thursday, August 3 , 2006 9:10 PM
Question:
Steve, do you have a name for your penis?
asked by erin on Friday, August 4, 2006

Answer:
Mr. Midnight.
answered by Stevo on Friday, August 4 , 2006 3:00 AM
Question:
How did you guys come up with 'Pain For Pleasure'?
asked by <3KB on Monday, August 7, 2006

Answer:
Was just a song at first that we were playing around with when we were doing demos for All Killer and then we recorded it and thought it was funny so we named our alter ego band Pain For Pleasure. Steve actually wrote the lyrics to that song in 5 or 10 mins while he was taking a shit in the studio bathroom.
answered by Cone on Monday, August 7 , 2006 7:12 PM
Question:
Hey sum 41!! why is the song: pain for pleasure short?
asked by punkrockdutch on Apr 15, 2009 3:30pm

Answer:
I wrote the lyrics on the toilet and I guess I'd had a lot of fiber that day... It didn't take long.
answered by Stevo on Apr 16, 2009 1:21am
Answer:
T.H.T. stands for Tables Have Turned.
answered by Cone on Friday, August 25 , 2006 1:25 PM
Question:
Where did you get the concept/idea for the "Some Say" video?
asked by Biefy on Friday, October 13, 2006

Answer:
The idea came from an indie movie called Dogville and then we just came up with some other ideas to fill out the video.
answered by Cone on Friday, October 13 , 2006 2:12 PM
Answer:
I started drums when I was 12. I never really practiced diligently. I'm 25 now and this past year is the most I've ever practiced in my life. It makes things a lot easier when you haven't got a life.
answered by Stevo on Friday, October 27 , 2006 2:20 AM
Question:
Deryck, what do you use on your hair?!
asked by A. G. Blazin on Friday, October 27, 2006

Answer:
try murry's wax. you can get it at any drug store. that shit works the best.
answered by deryck on Sunday, October 29 , 2006 4:09 AM
Question:
Yooo Where did you get the name "Hyper-Insomnia-Para-Condriod," and what does it mean?
asked by Biefy on Monday, October 30, 2006

Answer:
it means hypochondriac insomniac paranoid freak. i wrote it about myself.
answered by deryck on Wednesday, November 1 , 2006 11:02 PM
Question:
Deryck, what is your favorite band? I mean, you know, besides your own.
asked by Matt on Saturday, October 28, 2006

Answer:
oasis or the beatles
answered by deryck on Saturday, November 4 , 2006 10:05 PM
Question:
wuts your favorite album u guys made so far? which one did u enjoy playing the most?
asked by Mike on Monday, November 6, 2006

Answer:
All Killer was fun to make. So far, this new one (UH) has been very exciting. Does this look infected was a good time. Chuck was a cluster-fuck.
answered by Stevo on Monday, November 6 , 2006 8:01 PM
Answer:
We met in high-school although, we didn't spend much time there together. I'm not sure who did and didn't graduate...
answered by Stevo on Monday, November 6 , 2006 4:52 PM
Last edited by TomiT14 on Thu May 13, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

More...
Question:
hey stevo,
do you sing any of the songs off of the new album???
thanks.
asked by kari_23 on Jun 11, 2007 11:59pm

Answer:
I tried on one (Ma Poubelle), but it sounded like a dying warthog, so Deryck sang it instead.
answered by Stevo on Jun 12, 2007 5:01pm
Question:

Hey sums, I'd like to say that I like your new album, but I'd be lying. I LOVE it. Anyway, here's my question: I think that on the Q&A deryck said that some working titles included "Nacho Libre", "Mr Plow", and "Pla". Which songs did those working titles correspond to?
asked by Spud17 on Jul 31, 2007 8:21pm

Answer:

"Pla" became a B-side and "Mr. Plow" became Speak of the Devil. I don't remember the other one.
answered by Stevo on Jul 31, 2007 8:28pm
Question:
whos the fat guy in the still waiting video who said ur band should be called THE SUMS?
asked by ryan on Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Answer:
That's actor/comedian Will Sasso. Fun Fact: Will Sasso smells really good!
answered by Stevo on Wednesday, November 8 , 2006 6:31 PM
Question:
Deryck, does your mom like Sum 41?
asked by Cybil on Friday, January 19, 2007

Answer:
she's the biggest fan.
answered by deryck on Friday, January 19 , 2007 8:40 PM
Question:
hey deryck or cone, i dont care which, whoever gets a chance to answer this first: how old were you the first time you got drunk?
asked by jersey 41 on Friday, January 19, 2007

Answer:
i think i was around 14 or 15. i was with stevo and we drank a whole bottle of gold schlager. it was a mess.
answered by deryck on Friday, January 19 , 2007 8:36 PM
Question:
I don't care who answers this, but I was just wondering.. If you weren't in a band, what do you think you'd be doing for a career or job or somthign?
asked by Rian on Sunday, January 21, 2007

Answer:
Bikini inspector or wet T-Shirt competition referee or judge.
answered by Stevo on Sunday, January 21 , 2007 6:55 PM
Question:
this one is for deryck: how old is your oldest friend?
asked by Krotch Rot on Friday, January 26, 2007

Answer:
stevo. we've know each other for 12 years.
answered by deryck on Friday, January 26 , 2007 9:30 PM
Question:
hey guys, do you smoke???
asked by alexyeah on Jun 14, 2007 11:38pm

Answer:
Cool kids don't smoke.
answered by Stevo on Jun 15, 2007 5:00pm
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

Thanks for those, did you collect them just now or where did you get them from so fast? I will put them up there asap. I need to get some rest now, before I die of sleep deprivation.
- Stevo32

FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

I would like to ask them just one question now ... Is there a chance to play Reign in Pain live ?? I really love this song fucking hard but I know that you all will answer me that there's no chance ... :silly: can you imagine Stevo singing two songs at the end of the show ??? :suicide: I'd appreciate that ...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

I'll try to gather some from FC, TNS and Sum41France interviews

Fansite Connection:

DAVE

-- What led you to choose the guitar and when did you start playing?
I think mainly it was an impulse choice, I don't think I quite understood the amount of psychological help the guitar would help me find in myself. So it's a hard to answer what led me there. I would say nothing spoke to me more than music, so I would have ended up with something musical. - Dave (FC Q&A 7/7/09)

-- Which Sum41 song can you relate to the most and why?
"Makes No Difference" I think that personifies the caribbean mindset most accurately. - Dave (FC Q&A 7/7/09)

-- During your time with Sum41, what was your most memorable experience?
For sure it was touring. I got to see some very unique aspects of a lot of countries. I got to play some awesome venues and meet some friends that I keep in contact with to this day. - Dave (FC Chat 11/27/09)

-- How do you feel about sum song 'So Long Goodbye'?
I think to be remembered with a song is one of the greatest honors. - Dave (FC Chat 11/27/09)

-- do you regret the fact of leaving sum 41 sometimes?
I think If I didn't have regrets about leaving I wouldn't have such good feelings about my time there. It's kind of a bittersweet trade off. - Dave (FC Chat 11/27/09)

-- You heard demos from Underclass Hero before leaving?
Yeah I had gotten the CD and I wasn't pleased with our direction. I must stress that the album is very good, I just had heavier expectations. - Dave (FC Chat 11/27/09)

-- what is your best song for u in sum41?
I liked Mr. Amsterdam - Dave (FC Chat 11/27/09)

TOM

-- What led you to choose the guitar and when did you start playing?
i actually started playing drums but couldn't afford a good drum set on my paperboy wages so i got a guitar. i was into metal before i discovered punk, i learned to play by ear listening to guns n roses and metallica. - Tom (FC Q&A 7/4/09)

-- What is your favorite Sum41 song and why?
underclass hero is my favorite sum41 record to listen to, i think the band really grew artistically and it sounds great. i think deryck did a great job producing the record. as far as playing live my favorites songs are... still waiting, mr amsterdam, no brains, 88, fatlip, generally the faster, heavier ones. - Tom (FC Q&A 7/4/10)

-- How did you end up playing with the Sums? Did you know the guys well before? How did the other Gob members react to the decision?
i knew the sum guys, they actually opened for gob back in the day haha, eventually they blew up and brought us out on tour, we got to know them then and got to be good friends. cone comes out and plays a song with gob anytime he's in the same town. the gob dudes were cool about me playing with sum - Tom (FC Chat 3/13/10)

CONE

-- What led you to choose the bass and when did you start playing?
I started playing when I was 14. I am 28 now. A few friends were starting a band and didn't have a bass player and said if I wanted to be in it I had to be the bass player. Next day I went out and got a cheap bass. - Cone (FC Q&A 4/30/09)

-- What was your first year as a member of Sum41 like?
Crazy. I played my first show in Dec. of 1998 with them and then in Dec. of 1999 we got signed. - Cone (FC Q&A 4/30/09)

-- Which Sum41 song can you relate to the most and why?
I would say Still Waiting, and Hyper-insomnia-para- condroid. Both describe how I feel. - Cone (FC Q&A 4/30/09)

-- How has the dynamics change over the past ten years in Sum 41?
Cone McCaslin: Well ten years ago we were 20. Kids. Had no responsibilities. Still lived at home. That kind of thing. I guess we somewhat all have responsibilities now. Some u married. Don't live at home anymore. Things change and I think we are more comfortable now and we all respect each other as musicians and we respect each others personal lives and support each others other ventures. - Cone (FC Chat 1/7/10)

-- hey Cone, what's your favorite Sum 41 album?
Cone McCaslin: The album I can listen to front to back is Infected - Cone (FC Chat 1/7/10)

DERYCK

-- What is a typical day like while writing in your home studio?
WELL FOR EVERY RECORD IS DIFFERENT. THIS TIME AROUND I HAVE A FULL ON FUNCTIONING STUDIO. AS GOOD AS ANY STUDIO IN LA. I JUST HANG AROUND AND DON'T REALLY THINK ABOUT IT, AND JUST PICK UP A GUITAR AND START PLAYING AROUND. USUALLY SOMETHING JUST COMES OUT. AND IF IT DOESN'T I DON'T FORCE IT. AND SO FAR EVERYTHING HAS BEEN REALLY GREAT. - Deryck (FC Q&A 8/26/09)

-- How has your writing style/process changed throughout the years?
IT'S CHANGED A LOT. I THINK THE LAST ALBUM EXPERIENCE REALLY HELPED ME GROW A LOT AS A WRITER AND POSSIBLY AS A PERSON. I DON'T THINK I COULD BE MAKING THE RECORD I'M MAKING NOW WITHOUT UNDERCLASS HERO EVEN THOUGH THEY DON'T SOUND ANYTHING LIKE EACH OTHER. - Deryck (FC Q&A 8/26/09)

Wolter41: why your nickname is bizzy?
Bizzy: dave brownsound gave me the nickname when we were 14. i was in diffeernt bands and also recording all the local bands at the time so i started calling me bizzy d. - Deryck (FC Chat 5/8/10)

-- which song do you like to play live the most?
Bizzy: hmm that's a tough one. i always like playing hell song, we're all to blame. i like a lot of them. - Deryck (FC Chat 5/8/10)

-- What does your tattoo, John & Mary?
Bizzy: my tattoo is my grandparents names. - Deryck (FC Chat 5/8/10)

-- You used to play the first half of the Hell Song solo during DTLI era. Ever thinking of doing so again?
Bizzy: i don't really like playing guitar solos live. i don't like standing in one spot playing guitar. i'd rather jump around and have fun. - Deryck (FC Chat 5/8/10)

-- Do you like to spend time on mixing your songs ?
Bizzy: of course. i love the mixing process. it's very important - Deryck (FC Chat 5/8/10)
DeryckW
Billy Spleen
Last.fm Username: DeryckW

Post by DeryckW »

Question:
hey guys, do you smoke???
asked by alexyeah on Jun 14, 2007 11:38pm

Answer:
Cool kids don't smoke.
answered by Stevo on Jun 15, 2007 5:00pm
Then Deryck ain't cool I guess ;(