Moderator: Jeremy Kill

peacock41
Hooch
First name: Ryan
bizzys voice

Post by peacock41 »

was he a bad singer and learned and got good over time and touring ect

or jst matured ( prob is)

but like in all killer era he sounded wierd .. and kinda flat live ,, but on the album he sounds like himself but on london dvd and other love vids from this era he snds wierd and diff

anyone knw what i mean

i knw they downtune guitars live .. is this maybe to make up for this..
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Re: bizzys voice

Post by Heather »

probably just got use to being the lead singer, he wasn't originally the singer in the band. Plus your voice does mature and gets stronger
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

I think Deryck's voice has always been very good in the studio (even on HHOP it was pretty good), when he has everything he needs and can entirely focus on his singing. So, I think his voice on the records has not changed that much, because he usually put's the same effort into sounding the best he can on an album. On Chuck his voice sounded kind of darker/deeper, but that could be intentional or due to the lower tuning, an effect or even just the strain his voice went through before the recording/during the DTLI tour.

Live it is a completely different story. I agree, he really sounds like shit on some of the earlier shows that were recorded/broadcasted, but I doubt he cared much about that back then and that was just fine with me. It was all about having fun and vocals don't need to be perfect for that in a live show. Also, he didn't have the experience of touring and singing that much then. I guess over the years his attitude has changed, just like the music changed and became more meaningful, so it seems like he wanted to sound better and more like on the albums. Sometimes I miss the not-caring-so-much, but I can totally understand that he wants to give his fans the best show he can and I appreciate that more than I miss the chaos/randomness of the early shows.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
mikey41
Hooch
First name: michael
Instrument 2: bass

Post by mikey41 »

his voice always matched their music. to me it seems his voice matured over time along with their music.
Mike
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Mike »

he has always used an effect on his voice, other then underclass hero, that was more of his natural voice

what he does is record his voice in multiple octaves then puts them together. listen to Chuck closely and you can kind of hear more then one voice singing.

listen to downfall of us all, not the gang vocals, but when you hear the lead singer sing by himself you can hear more then one voice.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

Mike wrote:he has always used an effect on his voice, other then underclass hero, that was more of his natural voice

what he does is record his voice in multiple octaves then puts them together. listen to Chuck closely and you can kind of hear more then one voice singing.

listen to downfall of us all, not the gang vocals, but when you hear the lead singer sing by himself you can hear more then one voice.
I know what you're talking about, but his voice still sounds unusually different on Chuck. He also did the octave thing on Underclass Hero (actually, the song itself - listen to the breakdown right before the last chorus) and I think on the other records you can find it somewhere aswell, since it is a pretty common thing.
Sure, there are always effects involved to make the voice sound more natural (a clean raw studio recording actually sounds pretty unpleasant, like someone standing right next to your ear but somehow on both sides) and the vocals are also often doubled (two or more takes of the same part mixed together, sometimes placed in different positions in the stereo field to get a chorus-effect-like sound, which is also done with guitars a lot) to give them more power and bigness.
But something else happened on Chuck, his voice seems more rough or something. Listen to the chorus of Subject To Change and compare it to Underclass Hero. But may be it's really just the different tuning and because the whole album also has a very different overall sound from a sound engineer's point of view compared to their other albums. I don't think it's better or worse because of that, just different.

And about Underclass Hero showing more of his natural voice: That seems right, but it was actually the first album where I noticed voice correction (So Long Good Bye for example - can't enjoy listening to it because of the synthetically perfect pitch/tuning, which is a shame because it's such a great song... instead I play it to myself on guitar). But apart from that I agree, that he really sounds most like himself on UH, probably because he was producing.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
sumfan4
Jessica Kill
First name: Eric
Instrument 1: vajayjay
Instrument 2: my weiner
Instrument 3: your weiner

Post by sumfan4 »

I like his scratchy voice better (HHOP, AKNF, and DTLI?). In Chuck he was kinda scratchy, but in UH I disliked the soft voice greatly.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yeah, his voice on Chuck was definitely more coarse than in the other albums. It sounds like the voice of someone who's been smoking for 10 years or that voice you have the next morning after a night of drunken debauchery.

There was a kind of growl to it that you can really notice in songs like There's No Solution and No Reason during the verses.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Yeah, his voice on Chuck was definitely more coarse than in the other albums. It sounds like the voice of someone who's been smoking for 10 years or that voice you have the next morning after a night of drunken debauchery.

There was a kind of growl to it that you can really notice in songs like There's No Solution and No Reason during the verses.
Yeah, it sounds like he's singing from his throat if you get what i mean.
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

It's definately the attitude you give to it that matters. Chuck was dark, as Deryck's vox. But the mics you use can also give the vocals some "effects".
I think he improved it during the tours, there's no secret, training's the way !
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

his voice is different because of more factors...maybe growing up,maybe training...but I think that his voice is different on every album because the albums are different themselves...for example on AKNF he wasn't screaming so much ...but in songs like hooch,I'm not the one,still waiting or WATB he screams and he sings more angrily...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
peacock41
Hooch
First name: Ryan

Post by peacock41 »

yeh but he even sounded good on all killer but in that era live he sounded diffrent and i think a dunno flat or somthing as if maybe he was and a lot of proccessing went on his vocals then to make them the way they are on cd
Susanne
Goon

Post by Susanne »

I remember a time when I listened to Astronaut (can't remember whether it was the first time ever or not) and after listening to UH and other albums I was kind of shocked to hear it. He just sounded so young (and yeah I know he wasn't that old anyway when it was recorded) compared to their other music.

I like Deryck's voice on all of their albums, used to love it on Pieces. It's great how his voice isn't exactly the same on all the albums.
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

The verses and the way you hear it in Underclass Hero gives it an effect that its like a group of people singing, or a few people. That's how I always looked at it.

Other times its backing vocals. Deryck did a lot of the backing vocals for a lot of the songs besides heavy screaming parts that Dave always did and just a few others.

Also, did Deryck really do that scream in Pull the Curtain? What was that?
Mr-David-Blues
Dr. Rocco
First name: David
Instrument 1: Geetar
Instrument 2: Vocalization

Post by Mr-David-Blues »

ive actually wondered whether Deryck did do that scream in Pull the Curtain aswell

he didnt do it on the live version of Pull the Curtain

any1 seen them play this live and heard him do it?
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Mr-David-Blues wrote:ive actually wondered whether Deryck did do that scream in Pull the Curtain aswell

he didnt do it on the live version of Pull the Curtain

any1 seen them play this live and heard him do it?
Um, you just answered your question yourself?
They've only played it live once, in the "live at the studio" sessions.

And of course he doesn't do the screamo in that. The screaming would weaken his voice significantly, and the room is too small to bother, since it wouldn't have an effect good enough. If it was a large hall with thousands of spectators, maybe then he would think of doing it. At least that's what I think.

Deryck's started to take care of his voice. They don't play No Reason anymore, since it hurts his voice. He doesn't scream in We're All To Blame anymore either, instead letting the crowd do that (which is cool). So playing Pull The Curtain would be a bit lame without the screaming.
Mr-David-Blues
Dr. Rocco
First name: David
Instrument 1: Geetar
Instrument 2: Vocalization

Post by Mr-David-Blues »

i was reffering to the "live at the Studio" version of it

I was just wondering if they had played it live in concert that was all
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Mr-David-Blues wrote:i was reffering to the "live at the Studio" version of it

I was just wondering if they had played it live in concert that was all
Nope. The live at studio is the only time they've ever played it live. Hence my answer.
kevmaster
First name: kevin

Post by kevmaster »

mikey41 wrote:his voice always matched their music. to me it seems his voice matured over time along with their music.
thats it
you're like my own personal brand of heroin