Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

NOT D's voice on "Wavin Flag"

Post by Heather »

Thought it didn't sound like him......

Deryck Whibley is In the 'Wavin' Flag' Video, But His Voice Isn't

Sum 41 frontman Deryck Whibley is all for a good cause, especially Young Artists For Haiti, the Canadian collective of 50 musicians, including Drake, Sam Roberts, Jacob Hoggard, Avril Lavigne, Justin Bieber and Kardinal Offishall, who sang on K’Naan’s “Wavin’ Flag” to raise money for the victims of January’s devastating earthquake. Problem is, that's not him singing in the video.

“When I saw the video, they use somebody else’s voice but it’s me singing it,” Whibley laughs. “They show my face with somebody else’s voice which kind of pisses me off a little bit because it doesn’t sound anything like me and I don’t really like the way the guy sounds. So we’re trying to work that out and get that changed because it definitely should be my voice.”

Whibley who is finishing up the new Sum 41 album with producer Gil Norton (Pixies, Foo Fighters, Dashboard Confessional), didn’t think twice about participating in the single, which now sells for $1.29 via www.youngartistsforhaiti.net.It was produced by renowned Canadian producer Bob Ezrin (Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, KISS) and proceeds go to War Child Canada, World Vision Canada and Free The Children.

Recorded during the Olympics — when many of the participating artists were in Vancouver to perform — Whibley flew in especially for the project. He landed in the morning, went straight to Warehouse Studios, sang his lines, then did the group vocal. “That was pretty much it,” he says. “It was pretty easy.

“I just wanted to be represented correctly,” Whibley explains. “I’m just trying to get that changed right now.

“I’ve been getting so many phone calls about it. A lot of fans are talking about it on our website. It’s like, it’s f*cking not me. I don’t sound like that. People are like, ‘Why does Deryck sound like that?’ A lot of our fans are saying on the website, ‘Aw, the new album’s gonna suck. I hate the way Deryck sings now.’”

Rest assured then that Sum 41’s sixth studio album will not be R&B. He laughs.

The band — Whibley, bassist Cone McCaslin and drummer Steve “Stevo” Jocz — has been posting behind-the-scenes footage of its recording sessions with Norton on www.sum41.com.

Once the album wraps, the band — which just performed at South By Southwest in Austin, TX., — will tour Europe in the spring and early summer, followed by the full Warped Tour from June through August.

On top of that, Stevo has been directing music videos with Rockhard Films, most recently for Airbourne, Katy Perry, 3OH!3 and Bowling for Soup. Cone has been working with Todd Morse of H2O on the second album for their side project, The Operation M.D., and Whibley is finishing up his ex, Avril Lavigne’s next album.

http://www.dose.ca/Deryck+Whibley+Wavin ... story.html
Nic
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Nic

Re: NOT D's voice on "Wavin Flag"

Post by Nic »

Knew it.
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

Well that's a relief! :D
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Charley

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

"and now there is more" sounds just like him just auto-tuned.
PTswim41
Billy Spleen
First name: Dan

Post by PTswim41 »

i knew it. i doubt they will change the song now. its kinda too late...it already has a shit ton of plays on youtube and im sure it has a ton of downloads
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

Sumfan wrote:"and now there is more" sounds just like him just auto-tuned.
This.

And i dunno, does it matter?
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Wow, thats really stupid if he actually recorded his voice and in the end they just put some other guy's voice on top of his without letting him know even. The voice kinda sounds like Deryck autotuned if you asked me, but I knew it can't be Deryck's normal voice... either somebody else, or his voice autotuned.
Madjid

Post by Madjid »

Jake-41 wrote:
This.

Exactly, Jake.
Does he really need to change that? I don't think they would replace his part if it didn't suck, maybe his voice was a bit off that day, and they needed to finish the song quickly, so they put some effects on it (i'm guessing Autotune) or just completely changed it, it doesn't matter really, and he shouldn't worry coz fans of his band know how he sounds like, so it'd be kind of inappropriate to change a charity song, already in sale, because he didn't like the way his part turned out to be. That's my opinion, at least.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/upload ... nwomen.jpg[/imgwidth]

OWNED
Jesus Christ Supermarket
Hooch
First name: Scott

Post by Jesus Christ Supermarket »

I've never even listened to the song so... this is good news?
Last Listened to:
Radiohead- Amnesiac
9/10
Favorite song: Pyramid Song/ Knives Out
Susanne
Goon

Post by Susanne »

I knew about the song (hadn't heard it though) but I had no idea Deryck was in it :o

I just listened to it and yeah, it kinda sounds like auto-tuned Deryck.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

May be they just had someone as a backup if he didn't make it and they accidentally took the first half of the line from that backup recording or his recording was damaged and they had to go for a backup or whatever.

The second half of the line sounds fine, not even autotuned that badly unlike Avril's line, which has a terrible auto-tune leap or how you would call it at the end ("survival").

But I'm glad this is official now and I know I can still trust my ears.
Last edited by Simon on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

Madjid wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:
This.

Exactly, Jake.
Does he really need to change that? I don't think they would replace his part if it didn't suck, maybe his voice was a bit off that day, and they needed to finish the song quickly, so they put some effects on it (i'm guessing Autotune) or just completely changed it, it doesn't matter really, and he shouldn't worry coz fans of his band know how he sounds like, so it'd be kind of inappropriate to change a charity song, already in sale, because he didn't like the way his part turned out to be. That's my opinion, at least.
That's what I'm saying, it's greedy to wanna change it.
samueeL
Finnish Flash

Post by samueeL »

Jake-41 wrote:That's what I'm saying, it's greedy to wanna change it.
It's kinda complicated. We all know that Deryck is control freak and he wants that his music is perfect. So it's probably really hard for him that millions of people think that his voice suck. I'd be pissed of too.

But then again, it's for charity..
Simon wrote:The second half of the line sounds fine, not even autotuned that badly unlike Avril's line, which has a terrible auto-tune leap or how you would call it at the end ("survival").
Yeah.. Sorry to let you down but there's no auto-tune in Av's vocals. You really don't know how auto-tune sounds? It sounds like plastic, just so you know. Avril's pretty good singer you know? But yeah, in her early days she has used auto-tune.
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

^^one reason why I like her live performances from Let Go better than the album, the label fucked the production up on that one. I don't think "survival" is autotuned, she just has a weird twang to her voice on certain sounding words, always has....yep, well that was Avril, she's floated off to celebrity land now though, nice knowing ya Av

and I agree, D just wants to be represented correctly, especially when it comes to music, so as a artist its probably hard to know that its not your voice in the song, but they're acting like it is
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

samueeL wrote:
Simon wrote:The second half of the line sounds fine, not even autotuned that badly unlike Avril's line, which has a terrible auto-tune leap or how you would call it at the end ("survival").
Yeah.. Sorry to let you down but there's no auto-tune in Av's vocals. You really don't know how auto-tune sounds? It sounds like plastic, just so you know. Avril's pretty good singer you know? But yeah, in her early days she has used auto-tune.
I studied audio engineering, I know when I hear artificial voice tuning and that is definately either a bad job of manual tuning correction or partially auto-tuned. It's not the Kanye West like auto-tune of course, everyone can tell that from good singing. Avril is a great singer, but the best singer in the world doesn't manage perfect tuning, which is what music production unfortunately wants these days.
If the sound editor does a good job, you don't really notice it.
- Stevo32

samueeL
Finnish Flash

Post by samueeL »

Simon wrote:I studied audio engineering, I know when I hear artificial voice tuning and that is definately either a bad job of manual tuning correction or partially auto-tuned. It's not the Kanye West like auto-tune of course, everyone can tell that from good singing. Avril is a great singer, but the best singer in the world doesn't manage perfect tuning, which is what music production unfortunately wants these days.
If the sound editor does a good job, you don't really notice it.
You have some super good points there and obviously more experience about studio working. I've just tried to "study" pitch correcting myself. But still I stand behind my words and say that's Avril singing herself.

But yeah, it's such a shame that everything in music has to be perfect in these days, really takes the juice out of songs.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

samueeL wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:That's what I'm saying, it's greedy to wanna change it.
It's kinda complicated. We all know that Deryck is control freak and he wants that his music is perfect. So it's probably really hard for him that millions of people think that his voice suck. I'd be pissed of too.

But then again, it's for charity..
Well, also a good point. I stand corrected. Like Heather said, he just wants to represented correctly, and if I'm him, I'm pissed too.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Sixth studio album will not be R&B?

DAMMIT!
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Sixth studio album will not be R&B?

DAMMIT!
My thoughts exactly!
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

One half-spoof-half-serious RnB song would be fine though. But in absolutely no way can I imagine anything like that happening.
- Stevo32