Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Chat Recap

Post by Heather »

Dave Baksh Chat Recap

Hey all, ok, so the chat is over and we must give a HUGE thanks to Dave for taking time to do this. I have grouped the discussion by topics, so not everything is in the order it was discussed, rather the topic, so its easier to follow

Pre Official Chat
samueeL: Gotta say I really like The Organ Thieves songs I've heard so far.
Dave Brownsound: Thanks Sam, we are actually going for a recording grant today. Our lead singer Chuck is working on it right now.
Dave Brownsound: Yeah it's very different compared to anything I've done. My approach is more ambient meaning I get to experiment with sounds and what not.
samueeL: Yeah you really seem to enjoy different styles and genres of music. If I may ask, how much do you have input to Organ Thieves songs? Do you guys write songs together or hows your writing process in OT?
Dave Brownsound: Chuck will write a song and have a basic melody idea. I will write hooks and leads, Mike will write bass lines, and Matt will write his drum parts. We also help each other when one of us is struggling with parts.
samueeL: That is great! Can't wait for the full length! You really seem to enjoy playing in Organ Thieves
Dave Brownsound: I haven't felt this way about a band since my first practice with sum back in '96
samueeL: That is great to hear, as much as I'd like to see you playing with sums, I love much more to see you happy and doing what you love
Dave Brownsound: Trust me I still miss sum41. I think that is the best part about it. I tend to remember the good stuff.
Adit21: hw many song will be in the next album ?
Dave Brownsound: Right now we have 30 songs to go through and decide which will make it. That's the best answer I can give. [Organ Thieves]
JULIEN: How old were you when you started playing guitar?
Dave Brownsound: I was 14.

Intro
Welcome everyone, as you know Dave has taken the time to chat with us today. Please show him and the other members respect. We are here to learn about what Dave has been up to and what the future holds.....
Hopefully we can do this in the best way by having topics to discuss. We ask that you not post constantly, so Dave can get to all the questions. You can post follow up questions after the topic question has been answered........
We hope you have fun! I'm now going to let Dave post a little intro and we can get the questions started.
Dave Brownsound: Well I hope this can be of some use for some questions about what I am up to and what I will be up to. It's feels good that people are still taking the time to do this. It means I still have the ability to entertain

Sum41
fenderrocks: During your time with Sum41, what was your most memorable experience?
Dave Brownsound: For sure it was touring. I got to see some very unique aspects of a lot of countries. I got to play some awesome venues and meet some friends that I keep in contact with to this day.
samueeL: How do you feel about sum song 'So Long Goodbye'?
Dave Brownsound: I think to be remembered with a song is one of the greatest honors.
JULIEN: do you like the instrumental?
Dave Brownsound: I do. It's a great song with music alone
fenderrocks: ok, I just thought of a Q, how do you like the artistic direction of Underclass compared to the other records
Dave Brownsound: I wasn't very happy to be honest. I thought we were revisiting things we had done before.
samueeL: Are you guys friends anymore? Some of Derycks comments are really contradictory
Dave Brownsound: I still consider Deryck a friend even if he doesn't share the same feeling. I am old enough to understand that it can be tough when it feels like a friend has left you high and dry.
JULIEN: and are you curious to listen to the next album of sum41?
Dave Brownsound: I will alwys listen to what sum does.
joaco: are you still in contact with dave cone and deryck?
Dave Brownsound: I stay in contact mostly with Steve. We are very alike.
JULIEN: Could you ask to steve tomake you a video?
Dave Brownsound: Actually I was thinking of having him submit a video treatment for Organ Thieves.
joaco: and cone? in videos and other things..you never seem to be very close to cone...im suerly wrong..but both 4 were equally close?
Dave Brownsound: I think Cone and I were close we were friends in High School. Also the bonding we had on the road is great.
samueeL: We have never heard what happened between sums and Greig Nori.. Was "fight" between Deryck and Nori or whole band?
Dave Brownsound: We (sum and Nori) felt it was the right time to split ways. What was said might be written in the book, but who knows.
JULIEN: have you seen a sum show since you left the band?
Dave Brownsound: Yes I have been to two. It was very surreal, I think there is a video of me rushing the stage during P4P
joaco: do you regret the fact of leaving sum 41 sometimes?
Dave Brownsound: I think If I didn't have regrets about leaving I wouldn't have such good feelings about my time there. It's kind of a bittersweet trade off.
samueeL: You heard demos from Underclass Hero before leaving?
Dave Brownsound: Yeah I had gotten the CD and I wasn't pleased with our direction. I must stress that the album is very good, I just had heavier expectations.
JULIEN: what is your best song for u in sum41?
Dave Brownsound: I liked Mr. Amsterdam
Hentaiman: Dave, how do you feel about Deryck saying the next Sum 41 album is going to be dark and heavy?
Dave Brownsound: I think they should do that. But there must be an emphasis on fun. It's the essence of what sum41 is
Atticus: Hell song totally changed my life
Dave Brownsound: Mine too.
Atticus: so the fact that sum 41 became sweeter et lost his metal touch was just a coincidence ? because i think that all the sum 41 fans know that you were the main metal influencer in the band
Dave Brownsound: @atticus I felt that we had done the music on Underclass before and I did not want to be a part of it.
JULIEN: the bitter end was an deryck idea?
Dave Brownsound: The intro and octave break were written by me.
Dave Brownsound: IN bitter end

Brown Brigade
fenderrocks: What prompted the decision to step down as lead vocals for Brown Brigade and find a replacement?
Dave Brownsound: As for stepping down we are working on a new format for Brown Brigade where we can write and record but won't do much touring. So we will do a lot of Collabs and guest musicians.
fenderrocks: Will the band be releasing any new songs in the near future before a full length album?
Dave Brownsound: We are thinking of only releasing song by song for Brown Brigade.
Dave Brownsound: Brown Brigade probably won't do any touring. Vaughn and I have other commitments and when we were focusing on making Brow Brigade a business it wasn't very fun. So we decided to keep it fun at all costs
Dave Brownsound: I have had those songs for a long while. The new stuff is much more relative to where my head is at now.
samueeL: How is the writing process in BB? You write most of the stuff?
Dave Brownsound: Vaughn and I write mostly together. As a song writer I feel I am limited
Atticus: in fact i think that your collaboration with derrick was amazing, you completed eah other perfectly, that's why sum 41 created his own style
JULIEN: it's very different rockn'roll and bluesy sound great like it
Dave Brownsound: I think I have always been better at supporting good song writers. It's where my playing flourishes.
Dave Brownsound: Yeah we are more oriented towards a sound we can play well into the golden years.
Dave Brownsound: Which are very close
Organ Thieves
samueeL: Do you feel that Organ Thieves is your band and it will last?
Dave Brownsound: I think to expect something to last is futile. I have to make it last.
fenderrocks: What studio role will you play in the upcoming Organ Thieves album?
Dave Brownsound: I will be a guitar player. It will be nice to not be a producer on this record.
Dave Brownsound: I usually play guitar, record, practice, or go over songs with Chuck.
Dave Brownsound: I think the direction is still being established among the 30 songs we have many different versions as well.
fenderrocks: We saw your acoustic performance for War Child, how do these sets compare to full band sets?
Dave Brownsound: The acoustic sets are yet another version of the songs.
Dave Brownsound: the recorded songs will of course have drums and different textures due to instruments
samueeL: Is Nori producing Organ Thieves album?
Dave Brownsound: Nori will produce the Organ Thieves record yes.

General
fenderrocks: How has your musical style been influenced by each band you work with?
Dave Brownsound: I think each band has been a learning experience. Organ Thieves is the most creative I have ever been allowed to be.
fenderrocks: What steps do you take to challenge yourself musically?
Dave Brownsound: I always see the impossible as possible and I think my natural stubborn disposition helps a lot with not giving up on the hard stuff.
samueeL: Do you ever get tired of playing guitar? Do you play some piano or am I totally wrong?
Dave Brownsound: I don't play piano well but I can figure out melodies. For the most part there is so much to lear on guitar I stay pretty healthy with it.
fenderrocks: We know you have a love for PRS and Gibson, any new guitars on stage lately?
Dave Brownsound: I have gotten a ES-339 lately that I am in love with. But I find I go back to the PRS alot.
Hentaiman: Say Dave, do you enjoy modern metal bands?
Dave Brownsound: It depends. I was there for the beginning of Metal in North America so I know when a band is simply trying to emulate and when a band is truly making progressive music.
Dave Brownsound: As for new metal Converge
Dave Brownsound: So sick and awesome
samueeL: Have you written any acoustic songs?
Dave Brownsound: I think anyone that plays guitar must have acoustic songs. It is the most natural and pure part of the art.
JULIEN: PRS HAS MADE YOUR OWN PRS MODEL SO WHAT IS IT?
Dave Brownsound: There is no PRS model for me. I felt to make a model and tell people they will sound like me is a lie. I might change my mind if I can work with the marketing plan.

Free Discussion
Hentaiman: Dave, I saw some videos of Organ Thieves doing covers and stuff, what covers did u do live?
Dave Brownsound: We used to do some misfits covers, Steve Earle, and B-52's we are working on La Bamba now.
JULIEN: disaster sound like guns and roses we reconize influences good
Dave Brownsound: Careful mentioning Guns might get you shot around here. I am not a fan at all.
Atticus: To follow Hentaiman, what do you think of blink 182 Dave ?
Dave Brownsound: We used to tour with Blink. I think when they broke up it was a huge hit to our genre. But I think since they came back it is strong again.
samueeL: I'm interested in about the musicians way to earn money. Does the most of the money come from radio playing or somekind of record deal & selling records? Also, do you still get money from work that you've done with sums?
Dave Brownsound: Musician=poor for the most part. Love it or sell insurance.
Dave Brownsound: If there was no hurt we'd all be listening to sunshine and lollipops.
Atticus: yeah they were the front runner with green day of the genre, i remember that you should done a show in paris with them, but think it was be cancelled
Dave Brownsound: Yeah they had cancelled due to the fact they weren't sure of airplanes so close to 911
samueeL: Haha, gotta ask this. Which Sum41 song you dont like at all?
Dave Brownsound: I would say peices
Dave Brownsound: That's okay. I feel that way about songs other people don't like. It's all about how we can put ourselves into the lyrics. I just can't with that song heartbreak has never hit me so bad.
JULIEN: most important of his guitarist life was with sum it's difficult to speak others things
Dave Brownsound: Yeah it's true. If I wasn't happy with my time in sum I would probably feel that way but I still feel a part.
samueeL: Was there demos from Chuck that you really liked but they didn't make to the album?
Dave Brownsound: Actually I think there was only a few B sides to that record.
fenderrocks: one was Subject to Change right
Dave Brownsound: Yes Subject to Change and I am not sure if the other was released.
Dave Brownsound: I will never forget the love I have been shown by all of you. It means a lot to me.
Hentaiman: We love you, man, and the way you interact with fans :D
fenderrocks: gotta agree with Phil, you treat your fans awesome
Dave Brownsound: I think that people deserve to be treated with kindness. I have been raised this way.
Atticus: i saw him this afternoon cause in france it's 8pm
Dave Brownsound: I miss France very much. My wife and I had great times there.
Hentaiman: Is there chance of you touring the world soon?
Dave Brownsound: Well if we can push Organ Thieves we can get there. It's all relative to us, our success that is.
Hentaiman: Did you sign with any label to release the full Organ Thieves album?
Dave Brownsound: For now we would like to keep it independent until the right label comes along. We have got to keep our slates clean while the music industry shifts to the new format within the digital realm.
samueeL: Do you think that when you get child you'll make him play the guitar? :D
Dave Brownsound: My child will be free to do whatever. However there will be a plethora of gear and guitars to choose from.
JULIEN: lucky child :)
Atticus: do you want to adopt me ?
Dave Brownsound: @ atticus I want France to adopt me.
Hentaiman: oh, thats cool. So i understand you had labels interested in you?
Dave Brownsound: A few labels yes but nothing more than call backs. We are underground right now and would like to sharpen our skills live more.
punkrock101m: have you ever studied music theory?
Dave Brownsound: I have never studied music only felt it. I really fly by the seat of my pants with it. Before I knew that a power chord was a 5th I called it a Darth Vader Chord. I have many silly names for scales and chords based on what they remind me of
Hentaiman: Dave, how was it being signed to Island Records with the sums?
Dave Brownsound: Island was a dream come true. I was such an Anthrax fan that I just wanted to be a part of them when they first approached us.
Dave Brownsound: I think Island was good to us for many reasons I never really had any serious arguments with them.
fenderrocks: did Chris Blackwell find you guys or someone else?
Dave Brownsound: It was Rob Stevenson and Lewis Largent. But many thanks to Greig Nori, Mark Costanzo and Chris Taylor without them we wouldn't have gotten very far.
Dave Brownsound: Chris Blackwell once had a AK-47 pointed at him with Bob Marley at the trigger.
punkrock101m: do you think a guitarist should study theory to be on the right track, or is it just useless?
Dave Brownsound: I think theory is very useful. I have just figured it out in a very unorthodox manner. Never forget to feel your way through music though.
Hentaiman: wasn't Mark Costanzo the guitarist before you in Sum 41?
Dave Brownsound: Mark was the guitarist. He also fronted LEn with his sister.
samueeL: Are you friends with Tom Thacker?
Dave Brownsound: Yeah I have been friends with Tom for a long time.
Dave Brownsound: Tom is one of the funniest and talented people I have met in my travels. If he reads this he won't believe me but that's his problem.
Hentaiman: Dave. If Deryck, Cone or Steve would ask you to guest on the new Sum 41 album, would u do it?
Dave Brownsound: I would guest in a second. Of course.
samueeL: And oh I've been dying to know, how good are you in finger picking? I don't think I've ever seen you finger pick
Dave Brownsound: Finger picking and me are alright. I definitely want to get better, but there is so much to learn with a pic.
Hentaiman: Dave, do you still talk regularly to Deryck, Steve or Cone?
Dave Brownsound: Every now and then I talk to Steve, Cone, a little more rare. As far as Deryck I have reached out but understand if he does not want to talk yet.
Dave Brownsound: I see Cone from time to time but we never really hung out when we were at home. I would never refuse him though.
punkrock101m: whats your favorite movies of all time?
Dave Brownsound: I really liked "Gomorra," "Black Dynamite," I love movies it's hard to pick a favorite. Something like "Yellowbeard" with Graham CHapman.
Hentaiman: So you would say you guys started hanging less and stuff since you left the band?
Dave Brownsound: YEah we definitely hang out less. I think there was some sore feelings when I left the band.
Hentaiman: I read everywhere that the idea for BB was conceived around 2003, while you still were in sum 41? is that true?
Dave Brownsound: Yeah for sure. I had written songs but I had never followed up. They sounded too heavy for sum at the time and once I heard the demos for Underclass I knew we were creatively travelling in different directions.
samueeL: Can you name your all time favorite song? Or is that too hard question haha
Dave Brownsound: My alltime favorite would be hmmm. yeah that is hard. I love Roach Killer by SUper Chick right now.
Dave Brownsound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmpUr5uKq2Y is a Youtube link to the song
Hentaiman: say dave, you still enjoy punk rock?
Dave Brownsound: Of course. I have been listening to a lot of Buzzkill from Liverpool
Hentaiman: do u like Rise Against and Billy Talent?
Dave Brownsound: Yeah I do like Rise and Billy. Ian is a friend of mine
fenderrocks: I'll get really into The Clash from time to time
Dave Brownsound: I love Joe Strummer there is a great new doc about his life.
Dave Brownsound: I love so much from the pre 80's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZNeZeaAUds an example
Hentaiman: Dave, any chance Ian will guest on the Organ Thieves album?
Dave Brownsound: We might do that but jammin live is so much more fun.
Hentaiman: so you should ask Ian join u live, and film it :D
Dave Brownsound: I just might do that.
Hentaiman: Say dave, what do u think about Cone's side project The Operation MD?
Dave Brownsound: I think COne is a good song writer. I was very surprised at his talent.
Dave Brownsound: Yeah I have a copy of the Operation
Dave Brownsound: Oh I should move in about fifteen or so. Documents to sign and people to hug.
Dave Brownsound: Yeah I have been a fan of H20 for a long time and their latest record is amazing
Dave Brownsound: Check some old H20 as well great NYC hardcore. Good people deserving what they want.
fenderrocks: yeah I'll have to look into it, I've really gotten into GOB after finding Tom
Dave Brownsound: yeah I think "How Far Shallow Takes You" is one of the most underrated albums ever.
Hentaiman: Dave, as its the end of 2009, what would you say are you favorite albums of 2009?
Dave Brownsound: Them Crooked Vultures man.
Hentaiman: any other favorite albums this year?
Dave Brownsound: I liked Propaghandis' "Supporting Caste," Hatebreed "For The Lions" Rancid "Let The Dominoes Fall" a lot man
samueeL: do you dig oasis?
Dave Brownsound: Not the biggest fan of Oasis
Dave Brownsound: I love Tom Morello's playing. He is also very down to earth
punkrock101m: are looking forward to listen to slash's solo album?
Dave Brownsound: I am not much of a Slash fan.
Dave Brownsound: Though I cannot deny he is a part of history
punkrock101m: what about ritchie blackmore?
Dave Brownsound: I love Ritchie Blackmore.
Dave Brownsound: Deep Purple and Mountain are two of my favorites
Dave Brownsound: Sorry Rainbow is what I meant to say
Dave Brownsound: BB has a cover of Man on the silver mountain
punkrock101m: led zeppelin considered one of your favs?
Dave Brownsound: Of course they got me into Rock and Roll. I felt so evil being so young and hearing "Immigrant Song" for the first time.
punkrock101m: which influenced you most, heavy metal or rock n roll?
Dave Brownsound: I would say Heavy Metal. I needed the positive release of anger more when I was younger. It kept me out of jail.
Hentaiman: Dave, have u heard the latest Creed album?
Dave Brownsound: Not really but I like their new approach. It's what they need.
fenderrocks: Hey Dave, if you need to go, don't hesitate to say so, I'd hate to keep you from work or something
Dave Brownsound: Yes I actually was getting dressed during the last few questions. Yes I did the chat naked.
Dave Brownsound: Somehow as soon as I turned on my webcam and my naked image came up the cam broke.
Dave Brownsound: I'll leave you with that. Thanks to everyone again! Reach me at [email protected] for anything you'd like.
Dave Brownsound: Bye!
sumfan4
Jessica Kill
First name: Eric
Instrument 1: vajayjay
Instrument 2: my weiner
Instrument 3: your weiner

Re: Chat Recap

Post by sumfan4 »

Dave is so cool!

it sucks though, I missed the chat because I found out that you needed an email invite like 5 minutes before it started :(
geeinglat
Goon
First name: Geanine

Post by geeinglat »

Dave <3
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

sumfan4 wrote:Dave is so cool!

it sucks though, I missed the chat because I found out that you needed an email invite like 5 minutes before it started :(
yeah I saw where you said you signed up in the announcement thread, but I never got a email from ya. The link in that thread was instructions on how to sign up. sorry ya missed it, I saw you online, should have pmed me, I think we could have got ya in no prob. There will probably be another one in the future
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

I think it would be so much better if you all rented a ventrillo server and had one big huge chat. that would be awesome.
[donate][/donate]
Neverwakeup
Billy Spleen
First name: SEBASTIAN
AKA: are you british?
360 Gamer Tag: WFC4LIFE HOOAH
PSN ID: piss ID
Instrument 1: CIA
Instrument 2: MI6
Instrument 3: BND

Post by Neverwakeup »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:I think it would be so much better if you all rented a ventrillo server and had one big huge chat. that would be awesome.
do you also think that we kids are clever enough to shut up when he talks or if we would talk all together bullshit then? :devious: But I like your idea too.

please, no gender change!

x-treme BILLY SPLEEN forever!!!!
sumfan4
Jessica Kill
First name: Eric
Instrument 1: vajayjay
Instrument 2: my weiner
Instrument 3: your weiner

Post by sumfan4 »

fenderrocks wrote:
sumfan4 wrote:Dave is so cool!

yeah I saw where you said you signed up in the announcement thread, but I never got a email from ya. The link in that thread was instructions on how to sign up. sorry ya missed it, I saw you online, should have pmed me, I think we could have got ya in no prob. There will probably be another one in the future
ok, thanks!
that would be cool to do it again!

sorry I'm such a noob :P lol
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

sweet. daves awsome.
c4rlsson
Billy Spleen
First name: Bizzy D

Post by c4rlsson »

I still wanna know whats the problem between Deryck and Dave are. But I guess thats to personal to ask about.

Very good question from the people, love Dave, miss him even more after this "interview", dont know what am gonna call it really ;P "chat".
CIRCUITzach
Underclass Hero
First name: Zachary

Post by CIRCUITzach »

Dave Baksh Thanks to all that helped make todays' chat awesome.
his fb status
Ken
Administrator
Administrator
Instrument 2: your sister

Post by Ken »

I woulda felt bad asking all the Sum questions but hell, I'm glad some stuff was cleared up.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

I forgot about this chat, man that sucks. Dave is still awesome, I had a great time reading this interview though.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

Ken wrote:I woulda felt bad asking all the Sum questions
yea but Dave is soooo down-to-earth, i dnt think he minds those questions at all
fenderrocks wrote:Dave Brownsound:We (sum and Nori) felt it was the right time to split ways. What was said might be written in the book, but who knows.
what book? or is that just a figure of speech of some kind?
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

damn, I lost my internet connection at the end :<

Yeah, I felt bad asking some of the sum questions, but I needed to know!
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

I almost forgot about it and came in the middle but I'm glad I did! It was awesome! Dave is the man!
upperclasszero
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Jake
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by upperclasszero »

such a good interview, he really opened up. my second favorite musician in interviews, my first would be buddy neilsen
Children of the beast embrace,
To scorn and the human race,
Consume the light that hugs the earth,
And aid the womb in giving birth,
To a group that will appear,
And guide you through this final year,
The dark armies then will come,
When the sum is 41

WillySpleen is my n00b
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

...I still dunno why Nori left. :roll:
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Jake-41 wrote:...I still dunno why Nori left. :roll:
Yeah, I would like a clearer answer to this too. :silly:
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Awesome interview! I'm disappointed I couldn't make it.
Dave Brownsound: Yes I actually was getting dressed during the last few questions. Yes I did the chat naked.
I lol'd.
Billy41
Ma Poubelle
First name: Koen
Instrument 2: I wish bass

Post by Billy41 »

2712 wrote:I forgot about this chat, man that sucks. Dave is still awesome, I had a great time reading this interview though.
This!

Thanks for posting. Dave is my secret gaylove :blush:
All creds for the Still Waiting sig are for Jeremy!