Sum 41 / SBM discussion

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Re: "Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

If you go onto propertyofzack.com they gave a review of screaming bloody murder and gave it a 3.5 out of 5, I left them a friendly little comment...
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Sum41Ant27 wrote:If you go onto propertyofzack.com they gave a review of screaming bloody murder and gave it a 3.5 out of 5, I left them a friendly little comment...
A 3.5 out of 5 seems pretty fair to me. I love Screaming Bloody Murder. I love the direction this music seems to be going in and I'm enjoying the content of the songs. Though, when you break it down, the song is still a verse-chorus-verse arrangement, a solo appears where you'd expect it to appear, intros and outros added... Plus, the reviewer seemed like he actually enjoyed the song. Also, a perfect 5 would mean that the song is flawless and outshines others in originality, musicality, lyrics, meaning... there's a lot of factors.

It's still Sum 41 though. The melody, the attitude, the music, the use of the word "blame" (lulz)... If the common Sum 41 fan cannot enjoy this song, then they probably just prefer pop-punk/2001 Sum 41, which is what seems to be the trend when I read YouTube comments of people who don't like the new music.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Jojothebatteur wrote:
kevin5064 wrote:
Simon wrote:To me the sound is just fine, even the Skumfuk pre-master mix. Drums are powerful and clean, guitars and vocals are in good balance and you can hear the bass pretty good. Actually I think it sounds much better than Chuck because there the drums were a bit too hifi (lots of top and bottom frequencies, almost no mids) and kind of noisy, they didn't have the even punch of real drums. DTLI seemed to be the best one from a production point of view. AKNF was overproduced with the pitched crash cymbals and shit. UH was decent, but a bit weak.

So, my audio engineer's ears are very pleased with SBM so far.

well what most people don't realize is that producers often bring in a lot of their own equipment which they are well known for using in order to get really awesome sounds. and it was pretty obvious that Greig Nori had a lot of awesome guitar gear and knew how to get the best guitar tones. there was an older interview out there where he describes how he got the tones on DTLI and Chuck and how much work it took. now that Sum 41 doesn't work with him anymore they don't have all of his equipment and knowledge to recreate what they once had.
Do you still have this interview? 'cause i'd be very interested in reading it ;)
Not sure if this is the exact interview. I didn't read the whole thing, but there's some stuff about how they recorded Chuck in here.

http://www.guitarworld.com/article/sum_ ... page=0%2C0
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
Sum41Ant27 wrote:If you go onto propertyofzack.com they gave a review of screaming bloody murder and gave it a 3.5 out of 5, I left them a friendly little comment...
A 3.5 out of 5 seems pretty fair to me. I love Screaming Bloody Murder. I love the direction this music seems to be going in and I'm enjoying the content of the songs. Though, when you break it down, the song is still a verse-chorus-verse arrangement, a solo appears where you'd expect it to appear, intros and outros added... Plus, the reviewer seemed like he actually enjoyed the song. Also, a perfect 5 would mean that the song is flawless and outshines others in originality, musicality, lyrics, meaning... there's a lot of factors.

It's still Sum 41 though. The melody, the attitude, the music, the use of the word "blame" (lulz)... If the common Sum 41 fan cannot enjoy this song, then they probably just prefer pop-punk/2001 Sum 41, which is what seems to be the trend when I read YouTube comments of people who don't like the new music.
Yeah, but when they did reviews on Christmas songs they gave happy holidays you bastards 5/5 now I have nothing against that, but come on...
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Sum41Ant27 wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:

Yeah, but when they did reviews on Christmas songs they gave happy holidays you bastards 5/5 now I have nothing against that, but come on...
What the fuck? That's just not right.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
Sum41Ant27 wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:

seems like they're not biased at all ;)
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Pocket Monkey
First name: David
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Pocket Monkey »

Yeah Screaming Bloody Murder deserves a 4.25/5 not 3.5/5 its great but it felt a bit unnatural leading into the chorus at 2:45 but it does not bother me really.
People are disowning this song the second they hear it because of the fact they use vocal correction in it...yeah they use it but i'd much rather have them edit a song to make it sound better then get something unproduced and have it sound not as great.

Happy Holidays you Bastard deserves like....a 1/5 compared to Screaming Bloody Murder, not really much deep meaning in that song...
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

Jeremy Kill wrote:A 3.5 out of 5 seems pretty fair to me. I love Screaming Bloody Murder. I love the direction this music seems to be going in and I'm enjoying the content of the songs. Though, when you break it down, the song is still a verse-chorus-verse arrangement, a solo appears where you'd expect it to appear, intros and outros added... Plus, the reviewer seemed like he actually enjoyed the song. Also, a perfect 5 would mean that the song is flawless and outshines others in originality, musicality, lyrics, meaning... there's a lot of factors.

a song has to pretty much be that certain formula (the verse chorus etc one) Song that don't use one of these simple formulas are almost always epic epic failures
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
Sum41Ant27 wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:

Yup, and All Time Low had a Christmas song they gave a 4/5, but Bruce Springsteen's song only got a 3/5, idk that's why I was a little pissed when I saw a 3.5/5.

Oh and that red head in the music video is really freaky, in a bad way. She scared the crap out of me! :surprised:
Nic
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Nic

Post by Nic »

Lol, Zack is a member here too. Lmao... He's a cool dude though.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

Oh god, watching that "tribute" I can already see all the crazy German hillbilly emo/goth chicks and chick-hair-dudes jumping onto Sum 41 because they think it's their music now since they sing about bleeding and murder. They should just ban this song instantly over here, so I can still be a Sum 41 fan in dignity. I'd rather have a million annoying pop-punk kids with green day wristbands, blink182 shirts and sum41 sweaters at their shows..
Last edited by Simon on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Simon wrote:Oh god, watching that "tribute" I can already see all the crazy German hillbilly emo/goth chicks and chick-hair-dudes jumping onto Sum 41 because they think it's their music now since they sing about bleeding and murder. They should just ban this song instantly over here, so I can still be a Sum 41 fan in dignity. I'd rather have a million annoying pop-punk kids with green day wristbands, blink182 shirts and sum41 sweaters at their shows..
And some people on YouTube are calling the song screamo... what the fuck. I guess Deryck didn't rip his vocal cords enough on Chuck for that to be considered screamo?
Pocket Monkey

Post by Pocket Monkey »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
Simon wrote:Oh god, watching that "tribute" I can already see all the crazy German hillbilly emo/goth chicks and chick-hair-dudes jumping onto Sum 41 because they think it's their music now since they sing about bleeding and murder. They should just ban this song instantly over here, so I can still be a Sum 41 fan in dignity. I'd rather have a million annoying pop-punk kids with green day wristbands, blink182 shirts and sum41 sweaters at their shows..
And some people on YouTube are calling the song screamo... what the fuck. I guess Deryck didn't rip his vocal cords enough on Chuck for that to be considered screamo?
Screamo??? the only screamo he has ever done was in Pull The Curtain and remotely in some parts in Chuck
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nic »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
Dear lord...
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Reading YouTube comments drives me insane. I don't know why I do it. The shit some people say... Some people are pissed that the song isn't "punk" like Fat Lip. Sum 41 have punk roots, but they're not idealistic. Even these days Deryck just calls themselves a "rock and roll band" because there's so much shit tied to having to be a punk band that it's a pain in the ass to have to call themselves that.
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nic »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Reading YouTube comments drives me insane. I don't know why I do it. The shit some people say... Some people are pissed that the song isn't "punk" like Fat Lip.
They are too stupid to understand the word "maturing".
Pocket Monkey

Post by Pocket Monkey »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Reading YouTube comments drives me insane. I don't know why I do it. The shit some people say... Some people are pissed that the song isn't "punk" like Fat Lip. Sum 41 have punk roots, but they're not idealistic. Even these days Deryck just calls themselves a "rock and roll band" because there's so much shit tied to having to be a punk band that it's a pain in the ass to have to call themselves that.
Every single band that has punk roots today is being shot down and called "pop" i hate it so much. Bands that never even call themselves punk are being labeled as posers. people need to shut they're fucking mouths and just listen to the music.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Nic wrote:They are too stupid to understand the word "maturing".
This. Some people in youtube are very very closed mind and are stupid like the videos of "tribute" and the "cover" wtf, they have no talent...Only one is a legend you know :devious:
Last edited by Andros on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

Nic wrote:
Lol, Zack is a member here too. Lmao... He's a cool dude though.
I know, but he could've bumped it up to a 4. :roll:
ctoan

Post by ctoan »

I was just reading comments about sbm on sputnikmusic and most of them were negative. People were basically saying that the song was mediocre at best and forgettable. They were also saying that the album is going to suck because it has no Dave on it. I'm sick of people saying that because Dave barely done anything in the band; that's why he left in the first place. Deryck has always pretty much done the vast majority of the work.

Personally I think that sbm isn't fantastic, it didn't really impress me much like I expected it to, BUT it's still a decent song although I feel the chorus could have been better.

IMPO I think sbm is only a little bit better than Skumfuk.