My email from Dave

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Phili
Underclass Hero
First name: Gavinji

Re: My email from Dave

Post by Phili »

d4rkst4r wrote: So true. In Toronto, they were suppose to play in the Air Canada Center, then it magically switched to the Kool Haus, which is a huge change.
Well, to be fair, that was a different tour. They expected a bigger crowd for the co-headliner. They've always played Kool Haus for their own shows.

Things are looking pretty good for Sum 41 and Dave. I think the big turn around was when he came onstage for Pain for Pleasure. After that, when people have been asking him about returning to Sum 41, he has always said, "Yeah, I just needed a break" (note how he said needed, that sounds very good) or "Yeah, I would." Maybe he's waiting for them to ask him back. This could be quite the stand-off, lol.
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Claudia is my grand-noob.
Lisette (bunny) is my great-grand noob.
c4rlsson
Billy Spleen
First name: Bizzy D

Post by c4rlsson »

Thanks for telling that Phili :D. Now I can pray for Dave to come back and know their is a chance after all.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yeah, by the sounds of it, Dave is probably contemplating his return to Sum 41.

I don't really see what harm it will do if he came back anyways. Underclass Hero was their best debut, but it didn't do anything else for Sum 41 besides that. I'm sure Sum 41 lost a lot of fans when the news of Dave's departure was released. I look at YouTube comments and you always see those "I want Dave back!" comments.

Concerning how Sum 41 says their performance as a band has been tighter than before can correlate to the difficulty of the music in Underclass Hero. Most of the songs are the same musically, and the bass lines are relatively repetitive. The only thing that's pretty consistent from all the albums is the drumming it seems. It's not like if Dave came back Sum 41 would have to go back to learning their songs as they record them. They just have to learn from their mistakes and cater to all the members of the band equally. Deryck should be a little more trusting in Cone writing his own bass lines. And they should compromise with Dave to make musically interesting songs but not stray too far.

And I really don't think Dave was the sole purpose Sum 41 went metal. He had influence for sure.
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

In my opinion, the occasional conflict with Dave was the reason why the quality of songs stayed pretty high. He fought for the good stuff that gave the songs character.

I think if Dave comes back, he won't leave again and the guys will probably work harder to keep him now that they know what they can do and the influence he had on the band. And I think Dave is starting to realize that his friends need him and he, whether he has that "no material worship" policy or not, sort of needs the band.
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
d4rkst4r
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Kevin

Post by d4rkst4r »

Hmmm, no one yet has asked any members of current Sum 41 how they feel, we've heard from Dave about 2 or 3 times already. Someone should get on that.
tomhoppus is my hero.
wiggs1441
Underclass Hero
First name: Sagiv
n00b: BrandonCorey, Kyle

Post by wiggs1441 »

Gibsum 41 wrote:Someone in the Spanish board once asked him if he'd ever come back to Sum 41 and he replied

"Of course, but first they need to start enjoying themeselves again".

It's good to know there's (few) hope of him coming back
i think that was me.
tomhoppus is my Master!
NoReason27 is my Grand-master!
BrandonCorey is my N00B!
Sum-42 is my Grand N00B!

Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

d4rkst4r wrote:Hmmm, no one yet has asked any members of current Sum 41 how they feel, we've heard from Dave about 2 or 3 times already. Someone should get on that.
That's true. It is, however, very unlikely that they don't want him back.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

^

Yeah, but we really need to contact Cone through the myspace or something, and I would definitely wanna hear Steve's comment on it. Deryck's pretty obvious, he oviously wants Dave back but will probably say something like "I think it might happen, but things are different now, and I don't know if Dave could fit in it now" probably something like that.

And about the metal influence, so yeah, it wasn't only Dave. I mean, Steve is also a big fan of metal. Steve has said once that some of his favorite albums are Iron Maiden's self-titled debut album and Slayer's Raining Blood plus he had Iron Maiden and Slayer posters in his room while living with his parents and he also had this Iron Maiden boxset with tons of CDs and all of their hits. So yeah, Steve and Dave were also the ones to bring up the idea of the Pain for Pleasure alter ego and i'm sure that when started drumming Steve took his influence from Dave Lombardo of Slayer (regardless of me not into Slayer, he's a great drummer) and other metal drummers cuz they ARE the best! like Nico McBrain of Maiden, Scott Travis of Judas Priest, and probably even Tommy Lee of Motley Crue, I mean, they even performed with him and all, so maybe its cuz he was an influence on them/Steve as well.
The Bitter End
First name: Josh.
n00b: Me.
AKA: El Shredder
360 Gamer Tag: sk8rboi456
Instrument 2: Backing Vocals
Instrument 3: Bass or Drums

Post by The Bitter End »

I think they definatly would want him back. I think they should let him.
______ __ __ ___ ___ _ _ __
\ _ _ _\ \ \ \ \ \ \/ \ \ \_ \ \ /__ \
\______ \ \ \ \ \ _ \ \_ _ \ \ \
_ _ _ _ \ \ \__\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \
\_______\ \_______\ \___\ \___\ \_ \ \__\
n00b: bunny
Instrument 1: guitar

Post by Claudia »

I really can't imagine them wanting Dave back. Especially Deryck, idk, I feel liek he thought Dave was an obstacle.
Amys n00b and Philis grandn00b
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

I think he felt that Dave's attitude was an obstacle, not Dave as a person or musician.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah, I think its established isn't it. But Deryck really acted like shit to Dave about it in the beggining when he said Dave barely contributed to the songwriting and the band's sound which is definitely false, but its seen that the attitude of the Dave toward the music they were making (or about to make next) was an obstacle as Deryck wanted to go into a different direction from Chuck and DTLI, so i'm sure they have still respect for Dave and all, even if Deryck was bitter in the beggining.
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

Yeah, I think he was just bitter and defensive and didn't want everyne to think that everything was going to change.
Claudia
Billy Spleen
n00b: bunny
Instrument 1: guitar

Post by Claudia »

But then, everything did change.
Amys n00b and Philis grandn00b
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

^
Haha, true that.
peacock181
Billy Spleen
First name: Ryan

Post by peacock181 »

they should meet in thew middle like dtli

was punky and metal

chuck was metal album all killer and under calss are punkrockk

dtli was half way

was amazing
Heart Like A Hand Greanade
scottrowan200
Bunkface
First name: Scott

Post by scottrowan200 »

bring back dave...toms cool tho also...
Welcome To Hell
tomhoppus
Transvestite God
First name: Ladd Mitchell
Instrument 1: My shite guitar
Instrument 2: My aight guitar

Post by tomhoppus »

Wait, did you just call UH punk rock?
ConeBizzy32 wrote:
Something Corporate wrote: I still cant get into the PD media sec
Working on your request makes me a PD? I can't believe how small a man can be.
d4rkst4r
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Kevin

Post by d4rkst4r »

I don't know, I just want the old Sum 41 back with or without Dave, whatever it takes. The new Sum 41 almost reminds me of My Chemical Romance, *shudders*. I actually think deryck would be against the idea. When dave came back for P4P in Toronto, he didn't come over and say hi at all to Dave on stage, although he was on drums but still.
tomhoppus is my hero.
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

Um... if you watch the video, Deryck greets him more than anyone else. He leans over the drums while he's playing and grins at him. Deryck usually stands up at that point but Dave stopped to play in front of the drums and Deryck leaned forward a bit further than usual and they exchanged quite big smiles.

And MCR? Really? ...Dude, they're different than they used to be. Get over it. There's no need to exaggerate. They're nothing like MCR.