Re: The Sum 41 New Album Thread!

Post by Bobbyjames »

Zell1010 wrote:
bobbyjames wrote:
Zell1010 wrote:
Emil wrote:
Zell1010 wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:
bobbyjames wrote:HURRY UP AND ANNOUNCE SOME UK DATES!
This. And better be some individual shows too! :glad:
This times infinity. I have a sneaky feeling they might play Reading and Leeds this year (perhaps Lock Up?)
Lock Up stage is the small one right?
It's the 3rd biggest stage, and normally on Friday and Saturday it's for the punk acts. The thing is Sum 41 aren't as big as they were in the UK imo. Billy Talent, Rise Against and Anti Flag have all played it and I see them on the same level in terms of popularity now.

Having said that, Anti Flag opened up the mainstage at Reading 08
and they also played another set the same day on the Lock Up stage. Jimmy Eat World did the same thing on 07 by playing 2 sets. I can see Sum 41 playing the main stage the same day as Blink 182 tbh, they could have a few "pop punk" bands playing that day with Blink, which would be pretty cool. if not then a failry high up slot on the Lock Up stage would work quite well.
Yeah, or they could do what Anti Flag did in 08, open up main stage on Friday/Saturday and play Lock Up headlining spot the same day. But if Blink 182 are there then Sums before Blink would be good.

Is Give it a Name in the UK this year as well? Or have they stopped it here in the UK?
I've heard nothing saying it is happening this year, but I've also heard nothing saying it isn't happening! though if it was happening, we would of have an announcement by now, so I don't think it is
Queso Man
King of Contradiction
First name: Bryant
360 Gamer Tag: Queso Man
Twitter: Queso_Man

Post by Queso Man »

So do you guys think there'll be any screaming on this album? Kind of like I'm Not the One?

It is a heavy album after all
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

^^ nah, I think it hurts his voice too much, or if he added it, they wouldn't do it live, like Pull The Curtian
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

finglemaster wrote:So do you guys think there'll be any screaming on this album? Kind of like I'm Not the One?

It is a heavy album after all
There's a chance for one song, but I don't know how far he'll go with it. Like Heather said, if he does it on the album, they probably won't do it live.

I get the feeling that this might be the last studio update. Just the way the video gives a montage of Deryck being in the studio and recording, having him reflect on the past studio experiences and the song's lyric, "the end." Hopefully I'm wrong because I like these updates and they kind of hold me over.
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

Yeah, I see what you mean.

Anyway, why is the studio so overcrowded?
Seems like a bunch of people hanging around. Too many.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

That last update... i always thought that things started going wrong with Chuck.
stevie486
Billy Spleen
First name: Stevie
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by stevie486 »

I hope vocals on new record sound the same quality as Underclass Hero but even better at same time, cos they were nice and clear and good, that's one thing i find weird while listening to chuck, his voice sounds so deep and mean on it and it's not way deryck should have sung some songs on it, I know chuck was heavy, dark record, but his voice sounds weird and deep compared to other records, but songs like Pieces and that his voice is fine, I think someone must told him to be more metal at that point, haha and he obviosuly must not have liked that

yeah did seem like last update, i hope not either, we need some more clips of new songs a bit better
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

^^ yeah I noticed that too, I listened to Chuck and DTLI yesterday and his voice doesn't sound as good on Chuck as on the other records. Pieces and Slipping Away sound really nice, the others sound strained? maybe
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

stevie486 wrote:I hope vocals on new record sound the same quality as Underclass Hero but even better at same time, cos they were nice and clear and good, that's one thing i find weird while listening to chuck, his voice sounds so deep and mean on it and it's not way deryck should have sung some songs on it, I know chuck was heavy, dark record, but his voice sounds weird and deep compared to other records, but songs like Pieces and that his voice is fine, I think someone must told him to be more metal at that point, haha and he obviosuly must not have liked that
Yeah, Deryck sounds like he's got the vocals of a 10-year smoker. I didn't mind the vocals in Chuck, I thought they fit most of the songs well. Underclass Hero's vocals were much more his natural voice (as he was able to sing those a lot better than the old songs).

EDIT: I've been playing Studio Updeight over and over again. I love the piano in it. It sounds sad and I can't help but think "divorce" when I hear it.
Queso Man
King of Contradiction

Post by Queso Man »

Jeremy Kill wrote: EDIT: I've been playing Studio Updeight over and over again. I love the piano in it. It sounds sad and I can't help but think "divorce" when I hear it.
I know man. I'm pretty sure I'm going to love this record as a victim of heartbreak.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

Nothin' but heartbreak to score album sales.

Ask Blink-182.
Queso Man
King of Contradiction

Post by Queso Man »

Jake-41 wrote:Nothin' but heartbreak to score album sales.

Ask Blink-182.
Yeah pretty much..

except..

heavy punk heartbreak > pop punk heartbreak
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

Yes. And heavy punk heartbreak > Pop punk love struck-ness.

BTW - Where's Steve? He's tweetin', i think. But not in the studio.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Really not much to report on here, but it looks fun.
spider-man
Hooch

Post by spider-man »

I wish they would actually show deryck recording guitar, I love seeing that. the party stuff seems pointless. it seems to me like deryck is doing all the guitar work on this CD again. maybe tom will come by just to do a solo or something.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

spider-man wrote:I wish they would actually show deryck recording guitar, I love seeing that. the party stuff seems pointless. it seems to me like deryck is doing all the guitar work on this CD again. maybe tom will come by just to do a solo or something.
I agree. I'd also like to see more footage of Deryck recording guitar. I'm not sure about Tom coming to record guitars though, hopefully he comes in to at least record the one he co-wrote.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
spider-man wrote:I wish they would actually show deryck recording guitar, I love seeing that. the party stuff seems pointless. it seems to me like deryck is doing all the guitar work on this CD again. maybe tom will come by just to do a solo or something.
I agree. I'd also like to see more footage of Deryck recording guitar. I'm not sure about Tom coming to record guitars though, hopefully he comes in to at least record the one he co-wrote.
I hope so. I think it's weird if he wrote a song but didn't do some recordings on it. And the last update was fun.
stevie486
Billy Spleen
First name: Stevie
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by stevie486 »

fenderrocks wrote:^^ yeah I noticed that too, I listened to Chuck and DTLI yesterday and his voice doesn't sound as good on Chuck as on the other records. Pieces and Slipping Away sound really nice, the others sound strained? maybe
Yeah, Deryck sounds like he's got the vocals of a 10-year smoker. I didn't mind the vocals in Chuck, I thought they fit most of the songs well. Underclass Hero's vocals were much more his natural voice (as he was able to sing those a lot better than the old songs).

EDIT: I've been playing Studio Updeight over and over again. I love the piano in it. It sounds sad and I can't help but think "divorce" when I hear it.

Yeah I agree with both ya, does sound strained, like he's been a 10 year smoker, haha but yeah it does fit the songs and style of chuck, I don't mind that really, jus thought it was something weird when I listened to lot of Sum 41 again there and thought his voice sounds duller on chuck, haha

yeah that piano sounds damn good, yeah I think same too and yeah I wish would be more updates with guitar too, am sure I already said that, wud be nice to hear few clips of near fin songs :glad:
patenttiftw
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Aarne
360 Gamer Tag: partonen2
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: Gobbed

Post by patenttiftw »

Tom is recording the new gob album in march, and now he's writing it in new york. so i think he's done with his things on sum41 record. unfortunately
spider-man
Hooch

Post by spider-man »

about deryck's voice,

I always found it interesting that he sang with his normal UH on the chuck songs from GCY. sounds WAY better on some say, but bugs me to no end on the harder stuff like we're all to blame (and still waiting even) it sounds so weak