Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Re: "Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by Simon »

Awesome compilation Sam, thanks!
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Sam 41 wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:
Sam 41 wrote:i'm not really bussy in this forum but i said a few months ago that i'm gonna put all the possible song-parts from the studio updates together. this weekend i got some time off so here it is, check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8ntuqTgsG4
you forgot one
which one?
http://www.sum41.com/mediaplayer.aspx?meid=2928

the one in that update
Sam 41
First name: Samuel

Post by Sam 41 »

blackhawk1105 wrote:
Sam 41 wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:
Sam 41 wrote:i'm not really bussy in this forum but i said a few months ago that i'm gonna put all the possible song-parts from the studio updates together. this weekend i got some time off so here it is, check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8ntuqTgsG4
you forgot one
which one?
http://www.sum41.com/mediaplayer.aspx?meid=2928

the one in that update
hmm, i can't remember watching this before^^
but thx!
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

That's weird, neither can I. But I also can't remember missing an update except the one that was deleted and then re-uploaded.
- Stevo32

Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

There were some more, like the late update where Deryck states that the album is 99% done and the piano-part they hired the long-haired dude for.

And then there's still one I can think of... But it's hard to describe, it's just Deryck playing something in the studio, asking Ryan if he likes it. It goes like: Dadada---dadada----dadada----...hell what am I doing.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

I haven't watched it, but I take it you got the 30s-ish recording from the very first studio update back in '09?
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

Yup.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

fenderrocks wrote:D would probably just play the guitar lightly for piano parts if their that apparent. Like how he changes the tone up a bit in We're All To Blame. I don't think they need a pianist on tour, if he wants to play one song on piano he will, but their sets are usually high energy. Since they change up songs live they might not even play softer parts..like the Skumfuk ending for example
I'm not talking really about the softer parts of their songs, but more the parts of songs where piano is used to "fill out the music" (ie. the first third of Skumfuk). If the band were to play Skumfuk live, having both the piano and guitar present would make a lot of difference in comparison to just having guitar. With a piano player they'd be able to execute songs like Count Your Last Blessings or the intro/outro to Walking Disaster more effectively.

As of right now it isn't a big deal. Hardly any of their songs on their current setlist utilize the piano, but I'm just assuming that Screaming Bloody Murder will have "more piano than any other record" that it will not only be in slower parts, but faster parts of songs too. It'd be nice when you go to their future live shows to hear these new songs in their full glory. Underclass Hero's songs seemed to have a lot less power behind them than any of their other songs.
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

^^gotcha. Well then from a personal standpoint, I don't want them do have another muscian on stage. You make a point though. They kind of did that with the UH preview where Tom played the piano, wonder if they could put that to the side on stage and have him play it every so often and let D take a more guitar role during that part or something.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Does anyone knows the tabs (for guitar or piano, I prefer a guitar tab to play this part on guitar) for that amazing piano part at 7:34 in Sam's video?
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Hentaiman wrote:Does anyone knows the tabs (for guitar or piano, I prefer a guitar tab to play this part on guitar) for that amazing piano part at 7:34 in Sam's video?
I think samueel played this part on piano..
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

fenderrocks wrote:^^gotcha. Well then from a personal standpoint, I don't want them do have another muscian on stage. You make a point though. They kind of did that with the UH preview where Tom played the piano, wonder if they could put that to the side on stage and have him play it every so often and let D take a more guitar role during that part or something.
when i went to see against me this past year, they had a third guitarist/vocalist/pianist slightly hidden behind the guitarist, just to the left of the drummer. now i didn't really think they needed a third guitarist or a forth vocalist really considering tom gabel played guitar through each song so i dunno. and i really see skumfuck as a song that deryck wouldn't play guitar at all, just jump around like a tard like when they play welcome to hell or king of contradiction. they could do with a third guitarist/pianist but they could still keep the four-piece appeal by hiding the 5th guy behind an amp or something.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

fenderrocks wrote:^^gotcha. Well then from a personal standpoint, I don't want them do have another muscian on stage. You make a point though. They kind of did that with the UH preview where Tom played the piano, wonder if they could put that to the side on stage and have him play it every so often and let D take a more guitar role during that part or something.
Actually, they had a synthesizer as a common part of their stage equipment during the whole UH era. Unfortunately they used it rarely, only when they played Count Your Last Blessings during the summer of 2007. But still the synth was there for the whole era.

When I saw them live in London, UK in February 2008, I remember being so excited when I saw the crew bringing the synth on stage for the Sums, thinking they would play CYLB. But so was I disappointed.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

I don't see the point of another guy on stage if you have to hide him. Why not put him backstage then or use playback? No way, this is just not going to happen. It's either them or nothing.
- Stevo32

Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

Playback sucks.

And the hiding, well, probably because the guy they hire isn't an official member of the band.

Makes sense, doesn't it?
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

I meant the whole thing doesn't make sense because if you have to hide him you might as well just use playback.
If he is not part of the show, it's pointless.
- Stevo32

Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

or just use the guy that comes in for p4p more? what the fuck is he doing the rest of the show?
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Simon wrote:I meant the whole thing doesn't make sense because if you have to hide him you might as well just use playback.
If he is not part of the show, it's pointless.
My thoughts exactly. I've always wondered why some bands have touring musicians hiding back there. Just like the band doesn't care who's playing with them.

Saw Green Day live a year ago. I didn't even notice they had a second touring guitarist (Jeff Matika) with them until Billie Joe introduced the members to the crowd. Fortunately though, this summer he was rocking with the band on stage, so he was actually part of the band this time.
2712 wrote:or just use the guy that comes in for p4p more? what the fuck is he doing the rest of the show?
You mean Dan Moyse who played the drums for P4P? He's there to do the monitoring or whatever this is being called.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

Yeah, something like that is fine, but I doubt that Sum41 would want yet another person on stage unless it's absolutely necessary. It's basically what Tom was before he officially joined the band.
- Stevo32

TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

I hate to do this, since I dislike Bandaids, but their tweet got my attention and I took a look at the interview Stevo made while in Italy. The translation is not perfect though.

http://sum41.bandaiders.com/forums/arti ... ezine.html

Although it says Tom sings on the record, I asked him about it in Prague and he said definitely not singing, since Sum 41 is Deryck's thing so he did all the vocals on record.

But the two things that got my attention.
Our new record will come out in January or February, that's why we'll come back this fall to promote it.
This sounds like a confirmation for some new material. :silly:
You'll come back in Italy in November because you're the headliner at the Eastpak Antidote Tour. Why are you going to play a festival and not just a Sum 41 concert?
Well, they asked us to play at this festival and we thought it was a great idea. It's a really good festival so we're lucky. When the new album will come out, in January or February, we're going to do concerts.
So does this mean they'll have a shortened setlist like they do in festivals? That would be a major bummer.
Although it's called Eastpak tour, I thought it would still be Sums' headlining tour. Oh well. :/