Can you see Deryck Whibley as a solo artist in the future?

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Re: Can you see Deryck Whibley as a solo artist in the future?

Post by Hentaiman »

I actually would not like to hear Deryck does indie , indie rock/pop is so freakin' boring :confused:
But yeah, I could definitely imagine Deryck doing solo, and its probably gonna be more in the alternative rock/singer-songwriter vein, he probably will take all of his big influences like Oasis, The Beatles and Elvis Costello, to the next level. I mean, he always cites The Beatles and Elvis Costello as influences , but i don't see anything similar between Sum 41 and thos bands/acts, maybe except for songwriting, cuz Deryck takes his songwriting influences from John Lennon, so yeah, i guess that if he goes solo it'll be some alternative/acoustic/singer-songwriter kinda thing.

Cone will probably continue will the Operation M.D., which could be better as Todd now quit Juliette and the Licks and he's doing his own solo thing anyway (his first solo song "Crazy Little Girl" is btw, great!), although he is still in H2O, but somewhy, i could never see the Op M.D. being great, and i'm not talking as being great as sum 41 cuz thats probably impossible, but i just can't see it being a big band, and more than just this experimental garage project, and because Cone started experimenting his songwriting and singing skills for the Op M.D. i could maybe even see Cone going solo or forming his own band as the frontman.

Steve will probably continue directing music videos, and i could even imagine him playing drums here and there for albums, like a session drummer, you know, kinda like Dave Grohl did for Queens of the Stone Age and Tommy Lee for Fuel.
Also i could maybe even Steve fronting a band as well, you know, he sings pretty cool and all and he could pull off a metal band , like Pain for Pleasure, so i can kinda see him maybe even leaving the drums (at least for live) and singing for some heavy metal band, or even taking the Pain for Pleasure idea to the next level, and maybe even bringing Dave back to help him out with it, since Dave is anyway performing and producing for tons of bands.
d4rkst4r
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Kevin

Post by d4rkst4r »

washburn wrote:i would love to hear deryck make a solo indie/pop/rock kind of album! kind of oasis style or something..
Well he did cover "Whats the Story Morning Glory" by Oasis and he seemed to enjoi that.
Hentaiman wrote:I actually would not like to hear Deryck does indie , indie rock/pop is so freakin' boring :confused:
But yeah, I could definitely imagine Deryck doing solo, and its probably gonna be more in the alternative rock/singer-songwriter vein, he probably will take all of his big influences like Oasis, The Beatles and Elvis Costello, to the next level. I mean, he always cites The Beatles and Elvis Costello as influences , but i don't see anything similar between Sum 41 and thos bands/acts, maybe except for songwriting, cuz Deryck takes his songwriting influences from John Lennon, so yeah, i guess that if he goes solo it'll be some alternative/acoustic/singer-songwriter kinda thing.
Actually there's a lot of similarities between say the Beatles and Sum 41, musically I mean. The Beatles practically invented the I-IV-V-I chord progression and made it so popular. Look at 85% of the songs Deryck has written, they all have that same chord progression and some of the other immensely popular chord progressions in those songs. Not that it's bad or anything because it's simple stuff like that, that sells. But you can easily see the huge influence of the Beatles and Oasis and bands like that.
tomhoppus is my hero.
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

daredbus wrote:yes and soon he'll probably make a collaboration album with Avril
no just no , i had enough with her last album with deryck producing and writing some songs
Gibsum 41
Underclass Hero
AKA: Gib
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by Gibsum 41 »

Still Waiting wrote:
daredbus wrote:yes and soon he'll probably make a collaboration album with Avril
no just no , i had enough with her last album with deryck producing and writing some songs
he didnt write any songs for Avril's album. he just produced, played guitar on some tracks and im not sure if he played some bass too

NoReason27 is my mastah.
Kano and Still Waiting are my official n00bs. Mess with them and before you know it you'll be working in Nickelodeon :twisted:
J-pan, xmarryxx and conspiracyof1000 are my grandn00bs and T. is my brothah
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

d4rkst4r wrote:
washburn wrote:i would love to hear deryck make a solo indie/pop/rock kind of album! kind of oasis style or something..
Well he did cover "Whats the Story Morning Glory" by Oasis and he seemed to enjoi that.
Hentaiman wrote:I actually would not like to hear Deryck does indie , indie rock/pop is so freakin' boring :confused:
Actually there's a lot of similarities between say the Beatles and Sum 41, musically I mean. The Beatles practically invented the I-IV-V-I chord progression and made it so popular. Look at 85% of the songs Deryck has written, they all have that same chord progression and some of the other immensely popular chord progressions in those songs. Not that it's bad or anything because it's simple stuff like that, that sells. But you can easily see the huge influence of the Beatles and Oasis and bands like that.
What is the I-IV-V-I chord progression ? :confused:
d4rkst4r
Dr. Dynamite

Post by d4rkst4r »

Hentaiman wrote:
d4rkst4r wrote:
What is the I-IV-V-I chord progression ? :confused:
Songs like My Direction use it. But other chord progression I'm thinking of, the following songs use them:
- Hell Song
- Walking Disaster
- Confusion and Frustration in Modern Times

plus I would say like atleast 15 more Sum 41 songs. I mean, TBH, when deryck writes the music part of songs, he rips off his entire band so much. I mean, The Hell Song and Confusion and Frustration in Modern Times, here's the 4 basic chords they use:
- Hell Song: G# - E - B - F#
- Confusion and Frustration in Modern Times: B - F# - G# - E

And people wonder why Cone gets pissed off at Deryck for not letting him change up the chords a little. And those are just 2 examples right there out of all songs they've made. I'm not going to explain note theory anymore because it would just take way too long and it's confusing as hell. I hope you get my point from ^^^^.
tomhoppus is my hero.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

Oh, got it, just didn't understand this whole I-IV-V-I progression, why is it even called like that?
d4rkst4r
Dr. Dynamite

Post by d4rkst4r »

Hentaiman wrote:Oh, got it, just didn't understand this whole I-IV-V-I progression, why is it even called like that?
Basically, say you take all the notes in the C scale, you get:

C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C

Now each one of them hold a numeral value from 1 to 8 and you write it like this:

I - II - III - IV - V - VI - VII - I (octave note)

So lets say you want to make a chord progression using the I - IV - V - I progression in the C scale. Well you just plug in the notes. I'll finish this one.

I - IV - V - I
C - F - G - C

And there you can easily write a song with a basic chord progression that is going to sound nice because all the notes compliment each other. of course this goes into music much in depth, such as:

I = means major
i = means minor

So you could take the same chord progression as we have above and change it around to have a little variation.

i - IV - v - I
Cm - F - Gm - C

m stands for minor.

You can see how easy it is to make a simple guitar progression from something as simple as this. I guarantee deryck has used this man times since he's admitted before he doesn't know much about guitar theory. Actually I'm guessing he does this by accident without even knowing what he's writing but that's how all the pros do it mostly, by just playing whatever their "feeling" or whatever sounds right to them. I think Stevo said it best in the making of Underclass Hero when he said "As long as it's catchy, kids don't give a fuck".
tomhoppus is my hero.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

^

Oh cool, thanx for the quick theory lesson, haha, i'm not too good in guitar theory myself, but now i kinda get it.
And this thing basically works on every scale, right?
d4rkst4r
Dr. Dynamite

Post by d4rkst4r »

It works in every key. There are so many scales out there its ridiculous. Many websites out there will go in depth about it.
tomhoppus is my hero.
K.
Chuck
n00b: R.
AKA: kanguv41
Instrument 1: bass

Post by K. »

Some say we're better off without
Knowing what life is all about
cool kids
Ma Poubelle

Post by cool kids »

i really can't see him as a solo artist. but if he formed a new band it would be weird for me. kinda like why would he leave sum 41 and start a new one. because he is so close with cone and steve. if he did decide to be a solo artist i agree. leave out the ballad piano crap.
July 5 2003 Sum 41 show
Phili
Underclass Hero
First name: Gavinji

Post by Phili »

Yeah, I don't see him forming another band. Steve was talking about the album's lyrics, and the people who Deryck was open with, and he listed the 3 people in the world who he's closest to as himself, Cone, and Avril.

lmao, I would die if Avril joined Sum 41, but you can see what I mean. I don't think he'd be comfortable in a band if he didn't have Steve and Cone with him. And if he was in a different band with Steve and Cone... well it would be Sum 41 with a different name, right? Like Green Day with Foxboro Hot Tubs.

If Sum 41 ended, Deryck would either go solo or go behind the scenes (producing).
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Claudia is my grand-noob.
Lisette (bunny) is my great-grand noob.
cool kids
Ma Poubelle

Post by cool kids »

deryck just as a producer would be a sad day. he has way to much artistic ablity to be producing someone else's songs.
July 5 2003 Sum 41 show
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

What i would like to still see, and even now, not in the very very very distant future when (if) sum 41 will break up, is maybe Deryck, or Cone or Steve, guesting on some other artists albums, kinda like they did in Treble Charger's "Hundred Million", only in a better way, you know in a way you'll notice, like maybe Deryck doing a duet with Billie Joe or something , i dunno. Maybe with some other band. Maybe Steve guesting on some metal band's album, doing his crazy metal P4P voice.
xmarryxx
King of Contradiction
First name: marry
n00b: GreenReem41
AKA: marry
Instrument 1: GUITAR FTW
Instrument 2: piano
Instrument 3: bass

Post by xmarryxx »

Hentaiman wrote:
Oh, got it, just didn't understand this whole I-IV-V-I progression, why is it even called like that?

Basically, say you take all the notes in the C scale, you get:

Now each one of them hold a numeral value from 1 to 8 and you write it like this:

I - II - III - IV - V - VI - VII - I (octave note)

So lets say you want to make a chord progression using the I - IV - V - I progression in the C scale. Well you just plug in the notes. I'll finish this one.

I - IV - V - I
C - F - G - C

And there you can easily write a song with a basic chord progression that is going to sound nice because all the notes compliment each other. of course this goes into music much in depth, such as:

I = means major
i = means minor

So you could take the same chord progression as we have above and change it around to have a little variation.

i - IV - v - I
Cm - F - Gm - C

m stands for minor.

You can see how easy it is to make a simple guitar progression from something as simple as this. I guarantee deryck has used this man times since he's admitted before he doesn't know much about guitar theory. Actually I'm guessing he does this by accident without even knowing what he's writing but that's how all the pros do it mostly, by just playing whatever their "feeling" or whatever sounds right to them. I think Stevo said it best in the making of Underclass Hero when he said "As long as it's catchy, kids don't give a fuck".
Dang where'd you learn music theory? I'm trying to learn it on my own but its hard
Jan 22, 2009

cone u r so fucking kool stevo u r fucking bizzyd u r cool too whats your new album called
asked by cone1212 on Jan 21, 2009 5:03pm

Contrary to what you just wrote, I'm not fucking bizzy d. We're just friends. Let's not go and make Cone jealous now...
answered by Stevo on Jan 22, 2009 2:18pm
if you like this Q&A, then you should read my story:
http://theresnosolution.com/forum/viewt ... =25&t=5382

UPDATED!

Still Waiting is my amazing master

GreenReem41 and Sara41 are my awsome noobs
d4rkst4r
Dr. Dynamite

Post by d4rkst4r »

internet and guitar lessons.
tomhoppus is my hero.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yeah, if Sum 41 ended Cone would probably be in a different band and so would Steve and he'd do some more directing on the side. Deryck would either be going solo or producing.

It would be weird to see Deryck in a whole new band if he were to not go solo, but it'd be interesting to see what comes out of it.
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

If Deryck went solo, it'd have to be acoustic.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
d4rkst4r
Dr. Dynamite

Post by d4rkst4r »

deryck and avril duet...... :shock: ......lmao :lol:
tomhoppus is my hero.