Whatever you want to talk about!
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Re: HTC or iPhone?

Post by Jake »

The software update problem is that its largely determined by your mobile carrier, who can be slow/reluctant to roll them out. which means you may not be able to run new apps, or older ones as some people only write/update apps to run with the current most popular version.

But as was said, the iOS is so much more simple than android. With Android, even switching 3G off can take three times as long as with iPhone. (I do it quite often to conserve battery life)
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

well I've tried both I Phone and HTC ...and HTC wins all the way,but not everyone can see it,as not everyone can use all it's tricks ...on the other hand,everyone can use I Phone ..
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

182sins wrote:Okay my little experience: I've had a HTC for one year, it was a HTC diamond. Ugly interface, slow as hell, bad reception. I bought an iPhone 4, and everything is simple.
My advise is that if you want simplicity, just go for the iPhone. If you don't care about the interface or ease of use go for android. For the android, I've never had any experience with android, I just tried one once, and it felt terrible. All I know is that I have an iPhone and I wouldn't change it for the world.
The HTC Diamond is quite old; it is only with the more recent models that HTC has been so popular. I do really like the iphone's insanely simple UI, although I feel like it isnt really making any progress. Take a look back to 2007, when iphone first came out and htc made really small shitty phones. now look at today, and see the progress each company has made. The htc- completely reinvented ui, all products are touchscreen and have a fully functional operating system. iphone- wallpapers.
i feel like my technical prowess means I can operate a much more complicated OS with ease and thus reap the FULL benefits.

Also, Jake, does that mean that updates can only be installed via data? or can you plug in your phone to the computer? also, if not O2, what other service provider would you recommend? the reason I had O2 was because I live on a tiny fucking island in the sea (in the holidays anyway) and its the only one with signal there.
fuck this signature nonsense
Jake
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jake »

I have no idea what provider is best, depends largely on where you live.

I believe all android updates are OTA, yes.

The idea that you can do more with Android is kinda bull shit tbh. Android (this may have changed since i last used one) cannot make use of proxy servers (Which for me, at uni, is a must). The only thing you cant do with iphone (sans jailbreaking) is run custom/unsigned code.

You also have to take into account accessories (speaker docks, ect). I have seen NONE for any android phone.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Jake! wrote:Android (this may have changed since i last used one) cannot make use of proxy servers (Which for me, at uni, is a must).
You mean regular internet proxies? or special proxy apps?
Jake
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jake »

Gregorovich wrote:
Jake! wrote:Android (this may have changed since i last used one) cannot make use of proxy servers (Which for me, at uni, is a must).
Regular proxies, every educational wifi network ive been on has required one.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Jake! wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:
Im not going to ask what you use them for.
wiggs1441
Underclass Hero
First name: Sagiv
n00b: BrandonCorey, Kyle

Post by wiggs1441 »

iPhone. I had an HTC before. What a piece of shit. Slow as shit. Impossible to use. iPhone is one of the best phones. Simple to use and get used too.
tomhoppus is my Master!
NoReason27 is my Grand-master!
BrandonCorey is my N00B!
Sum-42 is my Grand N00B!

Jake
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jake »

Gregorovich wrote:
Jake! wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:
Im not going to ask what you use them for.
Educational wifi networks REQUIRE you use them. so they can filter/monitor stuff and so you know which machine on the network has the net connection xD
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

I've tried iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, now I have 3GS, I've also tried HTC Magic, Motorola Milestone, HTC Dream (Android phones). And made an opinion that both of the systems are just great, but at this moment, I'm more satisfied with iPhone. Android has still some things to do.
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

I have the HTC Droid Incredible. It's really good, but I never had a touchscreen phone before, so it's a pain to get used to. It really looks like both keyboards are the same, but all in all it's your choice. Whatever you choose, make sure you choose Verizon as your provider and not AT&T because their service isn't good.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Sum41Ant27 wrote:I have the HTC Droid Incredible. It's really good, but I never had a touchscreen phone before, so it's a pain to get used to. It really looks like both keyboards are the same, but all in all it's your choice. Whatever you choose, make sure you choose Verizon as your provider and not AT&T because their service isn't good.
I live in the UK. Here it's O2, and then a bunch of cheaper ones with crap reception.
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

One thing though: I said I love my iPhone, and that's really the case, but to me it has become way more amazing with the jailbreak. There are a lot of hacks to customize it once you're jailbroken, bitesms for example. Mine is themed my own way, with my own apps, and to me it's perfect. Actually it works the way I want, that's all. The diamond is a very old phone, but I spent so much time trying to get it work the way I want that I actually never really used it. Just my 2 cents :winkwink:
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

phone wars are funny. I have an iPhone. I like it. I have sex with it. it still works. job done.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

The only way to have a decent android phone is if you download and compile the source code yourself. I wouldn't recommend doing that though useless you know about the Linux Kernal. I used a HTC Hero (I think, Android anyway.) and it was complete shite. It didn't even bluetooth file transfer. I have actually been considering getting an iPhone myself (Shock Horror!!) when my contract with O2 runs out.
Jake! wrote:I believe all android updates are OTA, yes.
All but Samsung for some reason. It completely goes against having a linux phone cause you have to use a Windows PC.
[donate][/donate]
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

What was wrong with it? Slow? Unusable?
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

i've got an HTC Legend, it works good plus it was cheap but i having second thoughts. it's just not easy to use, and as im reading all this, all of you are saying that iphones are much easier to use. i've got an ipod touch that i want to stop having to use for my music and just use my phone, but the music app for HTC is crap.

my issue is that im not 19 yet (october), and you need to be 19 in BC to buy a phone (totally fucked up), and the iphone 5 is coming out, possibly in the summer. im thinking if i should wait to see if my carrier gets the iphone 5 and then switch over when i turn 19, or just switch over now to the iphone 4.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

So many different opinions! I'm taking a risk whichever way I go...
It's becoming half and half - but I think HTC's newer models have gotten really good reviews. Everybody claiming HTC is shit is talking about year-old models. I think by the time I get my new phone, HTC will have taken over Apple. The iPhone hasn't improved much at all in 3 years, while HTC has been revolutionised. Apple's a safe bet, but an expensive one.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

anyone who says HTC/Iphones are shit are talking out of their arse. neither phones are hardly shit. they both have their pros and cons, but at the end of the day it really is down to preference for me. you'll have to have a play with a few HTC's and an iPhone and see what you prefer. I had a look at a couple of HTC's last summer, but in the end I chose an iPhone as I'd never had one before. I'm fairly hapy with my choice.

I've still got over a year left on my iPhone contract, though I'm already thinking about trying an HTC next depending what the new models are like once I can get a new phone.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Bobby 'The Rapist' James wrote:anyone who says HTC/Iphones are shit are talking out of their arse. neither phones are hardly shit. they both have their pros and cons
I'll re-phrase what I said then.

"I used a HTC Hero (I think, Android anyway.) and it was complete shite for me. It didn't even bluetooth file transfer."
[donate][/donate]