Genre?

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

BrandonCorey
Ma Poubelle

Re: Genre?

Post by BrandonCorey »

I think they're a pop rock band with the exception on a scatter song.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

Jake-41 wrote:A rock band, and nothing more.
sumfan4
Jessica Kill
First name: Eric
Instrument 1: vajayjay
Instrument 2: my weiner
Instrument 3: your weiner

Post by sumfan4 »

FUCKING FUCK!!! SUM 41 IS NOT POP-PUNK!!!!!!!!!! I don't even know what retarded imbisil classified that as a "genre" of music, but god-damnit there is no such thing. It makes me so angry when people say that. Pop-punk sounds so fucking gay. It's like "I wanna be gay, but I'm not sure I can do it right". NOOO!! Sum 41 is PUNK and strictly punk!!! You don't hear fuckin bubble-gum pop shit in the background or as part of the music do you?? No, you don't, because it's not pop, or this "pop-punk" bullshit. There's pop and there's punk, no pop-punk.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

It all depends on what you personally think "punk" is. Like, i believe old misfits is just straight punk.

In that case, they're hasn't been a real "punk" band in thirty years.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

sumfan4 wrote:FUCKING FUCK!!! SUM 41 IS NOT POP-PUNK!!!!!!!!!! I don't even know what retarded imbisil classified that as a "genre" of music, but god-damnit there is no such thing. It makes me so angry when people say that. Pop-punk sounds so fucking gay. It's like "I wanna be gay, but I'm not sure I can do it right". NOOO!! Sum 41 is PUNK and strictly punk!!! You don't hear fuckin bubble-gum pop shit in the background or as part of the music do you?? No, you don't, because it's not pop, or this "pop-punk" bullshit. There's pop and there's punk, no pop-punk.

"Pop" music is listened to the majority of people who listen to radio/ watch music television shows. it usually has some kind of hook or catch, lyrically or musically. "punk" is fast and upbeat, to say the least. POPular punk is "punk" that gets major radio/tv airtime. sum 41 fit into this "pop-punk" genre-hybrid only in their HHOP-AKNF days.

to me, true punk is where the artist want to convey a message about something that not many people know about. ex. anti-flag has little excerpts/ facts about the meaning of their songs in their lyric booklets. to me, there are very few bands that are actually straight up "punk".

this is why, to me, that Sum 41 are alternative rock. they have displayed talent in a few different genres, but they are alternative because they are not as popluar as most mainstream rock bands, and their musical stylings have changed several times.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Andyrew004
First name: Andrew
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Andyrew004 »

If you want a short answer, you could say they are a rock band, or an alternative rock band.
soft-punker wrote: Genre(s) for each album:
- Half Hour of Power: punk rock, pop punk
- All Killer No Filler: pop punk, skate punk
- Does This Look Infected?: melodic hardcore, alternative rock
- Chuck: alternative metal, melodic hardcore
- Underclass Hero: pop punk, alternative rock
well said =D
~Andyrew004
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

To anyone, and with no dis-respect..

HHOP was totally not pop at all. It was alternative punk-metal.
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Charley
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

sumfan4 wrote:FUCKING FUCK!!! SUM 41 IS NOT POP-PUNK!!!!!!!!!! I don't even know what retarded imbisil classified that as a "genre" of music, but god-damnit there is no such thing. It makes me so angry when people say that. Pop-punk sounds so fucking gay. It's like "I wanna be gay, but I'm not sure I can do it right". NOOO!! Sum 41 is PUNK and strictly punk!!! You don't hear fuckin bubble-gum pop shit in the background or as part of the music do you?? No, you don't, because it's not pop, or this "pop-punk" bullshit. There's pop and there's punk, no pop-punk.
I CALL BANHAmMER
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

You need to lay off the nutmeg.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

2712 wrote:

"Pop" music is listened to the majority of people who listen to radio/ watch music television shows. it usually has some kind of hook or catch, lyrically or musically. "punk" is fast and upbeat, to say the least. POPular punk is "punk" that gets major radio/tv airtime. sum 41 fit into this "pop-punk" genre-hybrid only in their HHOP-AKNF days.

to me, true punk is where the artist want to convey a message about something that not many people know about. ex. anti-flag has little excerpts/ facts about the meaning of their songs in their lyric booklets. to me, there are very few bands that are actually straight up "punk".
Yeah, to me Anti-Flag, Lawrence Arms and Rise Against is one of the few new "real" punk bands that has popped up in the last 10 years.
Mr-David-Blues
Dr. Rocco
First name: David
Instrument 1: Geetar
Instrument 2: Vocalization

Post by Mr-David-Blues »

without going into all the sub genres likes Aternative punk pop rock n shit like that
if i had to sum them up (see what i did there) into 1 genre id pick Punk Rock
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

Emil wrote:
2712 wrote:

Yeah, to me Anti-Flag, Lawrence Arms and Rise Against is one of the few new "real" punk bands that has popped up in the last 10 years.
If you choose to believe Rise Against is straight punk, then alright. But there not.

Listen to "bullet" by the Misfits, that what i choose to think straight "punk" is.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

.. I think Kyle just made this thread to watch us all fight.
Jesus Christ Supermarket
Hooch
First name: Scott

Post by Jesus Christ Supermarket »

I love people who take the genre "Pop" as an insult. The Beatles made pop music for god sake. :devious:
Last Listened to:
Radiohead- Amnesiac
9/10
Favorite song: Pyramid Song/ Knives Out
soft-punker
Bunkface
First name: Zoli
Last.fm Username: rocknrollazz

Post by soft-punker »

Jesus Christ Supermarket wrote:I love people who take the genre "Pop" as an insult. The Beatles made pop music for god sake. :devious:
Calling a good band pop is an insult nowadays.
Last edited by soft-punker on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Last.fm]________RateYourMusic

"If looks could really kill, then my profression would be staring..."
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Jake-41 wrote:
Emil wrote:
2712 wrote:

If you choose to believe Rise Against is straight punk, then alright. But there not.

Listen to "bullet" by the Misfits, that what i choose to think straight "punk" is.
I believe at least the old Rise Against is about as real punk you can get.
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk

Emil wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:
Emil wrote:
2712 wrote:

you could also call it "suck" HAW HAW HAW
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

Emil wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:
Emil wrote:
2712 wrote:

Agreed.
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

Jake-41 wrote:.. I think Kyle just made this thread to watch us all fight.
You know how I do, bro.
I have a surprise for you soon, baby girl.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk

Kyle! wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:.. I think Kyle just made this thread to watch us all fight.
You know how I do, bro.
I have a surprise for you soon, baby girl.
i know what it is.