a little late, but I updated the first post with the two video interviews
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Re: Warp Tour Interviews

Post by Heather »

Chat Attack Interview

Sum 41 will release their fifth album, Screaming Bloody Murder, on Aug. 31.

In support of their latest effort the Ajax, Ont. natives are spending the summer traveling across North America with the Vans Warped Tour, minus a brief jaunt to Japan.

Sum 41 played to some of the biggest crowds on the first two days of the tour. Before their Carson, Calif. set, drummer Stevo and bassist Cone took time to answer CHARTattack's fabulous-five Warped Tour questions.

CHARTattack: What's the best thing about the Warped Tour?

Stevo: It's this little gambling game we've got going on to see how many days it takes for our bus driver to kick us off the bus.

This fucking guy, I haven't met him yet, but he's got all these DVD booklets and they're alphabetized from A to Z. But also, within the letters, like Aa, Ab. This guy is not going to be able to handle Derek on a good day.**

Cone: They're a Canadian bus company who we were already banned from. But I think it's because we've changed management that they didn't recognize the name, so we slid in.

**This interview happened two days before THIS. Irony?

What's the worst thing about the Warped Tour?

Stevo: Losing your bus after a week. It's gonna fuckin' suck. We're gonna be riding around in an ice cream cart.

What band are you most excited to check out on this year's tour?

Stevo: Whatever band that guy's in. [Points to gentleman walking by] Let me describe him for you, he's wearing a white fedora, white pin-striped pants, his zipper is undone and his gut is hanging out. I want to know what kind of music that guy makes.

What's your favourite Warped Tour memory?

Cone: One of the first years we did it, in 2001, we got really drunk while hanging out with friends.

Stevo: It was the first time that all the older bands like NOFX, Pennywise and The Vandals accepted us, and like, we could hang out with them and stuff. We got fucking annihilated until six in the morning and then Kevin [Lyman, Warped Tour founder] took note of it.

Every day we'd been going on at 5 p.m. Every day. And then the one night that we were accepted by other bands and partied with them, the next day we were on at 11 a.m. I went to bed at 10 in the morning after partying with Fat Mike all night and then had to get up and play an hour later.

What's the biggest hygiene challenge that comes with the Warped Tour?

Cone: I brought some Febreze.

Stevo: I brought a lot of underwear and a lot of socks. But as far as exterior clothes, fuck it.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

fenderrocks wrote:Sum 41 will release their fifth album, Screaming Bloody Murder, on Aug. 31.
This can't be an official announcement, can it? Since Stevo and Cone said late September / October ?
Heather

Post by Heather »

^^Nah, I doubt it is, CA is probably just using info they've "heard"
Heather

Post by Heather »

The Star

Usually the first week of touring is a breeze, compared to the eventual burnout that life on the road can cause a year later. But Sum 41 frontman Deryck Whibley is in the midst of a natural disaster.

“Yeah, we’re kind of in the middle of a hurricane right now,” says the singer, calling from Houston during the band’s first week of playing the Vans Warped Tour. “There’s a lot of stuff going on and we’re not sure if we’re going to be able to play today or not.”

The hurricane is the least of the band’s problems. A week ago, Whibley was forced to pull their bus driver off the wheel after their bus crash-landed in an open field en route to Ventura, Calif. The driver had been driving drunk and has since been replaced.

“But we’ve been close to death many times,” remarks Whibley casually, who wrote the single “We’re All to Blame” after gunshots rang out at his hotel during a promotional tour with War Child Canada in May 2004 to build awareness about the violence in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. “We’re used to getting shot and bombed at. That’s kind of the way this band works.”

One week into a grueling schedule that will have the band on the road for the next year — including a Vans Warped stop at Arrow Hall Friday — Whibley says that “the Warped Tour crowds have been amazing.”

Relics of the pop-punk heyday of the early 2000s that saw bands like Good Charlotte and Blink 182 sell millions thanks to a hooky, propulsive style of punk that matched infectious energy with youthful narcissism, Sum 41, who formed as teenagers in Ajax, Ont., charted No. 1 on the Billboard charts and were certified platinum. They sold 45 million albums worldwide, thanks to the suburban snark of singles “Fat Lip” and “In Too Deep” off their hit 2001 album, All Killer No Filler.

Four albums later, Whibley is the first to admit their Canadian success story couldn’t happen today.

“The amount of support we got from our record company to let us tour and build a fan base for two years . . . they could never spend that money now. We were lucky enough that we had early success when you still could make a lot of money, enough to build a fan base around the entire world. We’re playing Vans . . . and we haven’t put out a record in three years.”

Their as-yet-untitled fifth album, which Whibley says should be out in October, is “pretty eclectic, pretty aggressive and more of an album than a collection of songs.” He cites one piano ballad as an artistic high point, “a song that’s just me and a piano that everyone will think is about my breakup, even though it’s been around for five years.”

Whibley divorced from his wife, singer Avril Lavigne, in late 2009, citing “irreconcilable differences.” He had produced and played guitar on her album The Best Damn Thing. The union had made the two a pop-punk power couple — and upset Sum 41 fans greatly.

“A lot of our fans are really excited about us breaking up. Maybe because she’s pop and I’m punk,” remarks Whibley.

But does it really matter what his fans think?

“I don’t care what they think. That’s why I married her.”

No stranger to celebrity dating, Whibley famously entered a high-profile relationship with hotel heiress Paris Hilton during the midst of her newfound celebrity in 2003, thanks to the leak of her sex tape. Though fans remember the celebutante sporting Sum 41 T-shirts during the first season of her reality show The Simple Life, Whibley says that their relationship was veritably non-existent.

“The thing is, she was never my girlfriend; we were just hanging out a little bit. It was so weird to see someone who wasn’t famous suddenly become the biggest person in the world. And I got pulled in with that, too . . .

“If you added up all the time we saw each other it was probably two weeks, but 10 years later, people still ask me what it is was like. And to be honest, I don’t really remember. It was kinda, like . . . nothing.”

The musician is currently single.
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

Really good interview, thanks. Song that's been around 5 years.. Just piano + vocals sounds like perfect.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Nice interview! I wonder if that piano ballad is the one Steve and Deryck were talking about; the out of body experience. I have a feeling it might be and I'm really hoping it uses the piano part in the "Studio Updeight" that Sum 41 have on YouTube.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

LoL, I like the ending line.
The musician is currently single.
Go for it, ladies!
Heather

Post by Heather »

btw guys, I updated the first post so its easier to find the articles and know which one has what info

PopEater

New Sum 41 Album 'Dark,' but Not a Breakup Record

After four years of waiting, Sum 41 fans finally have something to look forward to. The band finished recording their new album a couple of weeks ago, just a day before they headed out on the Vans Warped Tour.

Bassist and co-founder Jason "Cone" McCaslin tells PopEaterthat, compared to Sum 41's last album, 2007's 'Underclass Heroes,' the new record will be "definitely more dark, intense and more epic sounding in a way." And contrary to what people might expect, it's not all about the dissolution of frontman Deryck Whibley's marriage to Avril Lavigne.

"There are a few songs that I would say are definitely about a divorce, but for the most part, it's not really a breakup album for him," McCaslin said. "I think he's kind of over it and he's in a good place."

One still-untitled song on the new record, which is expected to see release Aug. 31, features Whibley on vocals and piano and is about a horrific accident the frontman witnessed. "He got out of his car and ran over and the person was lying there dead," McCaslin recounts. "That's the one song that jumped out at me. It's a pretty heavy song."

The band -- Whibley, McCaslin, drummer Steve Jocz and new guitarist Tom Thacker (formerly of Vancouver punk band Gob) -- began recording earlier this year at the landmark circular Capitol Records Tower in Hollywood, before moving into Perfect Sound Studios. "It was a house where the whole band lived and the guest house was a studio," McCaslin says.

With the band on the road and playing in front of fans again for the first time in nearly two years, McCaslin says they'll take their time before previewing some of their new songs.

"We rehearsed them. We'll throw them in here and there, but we're only playing half an hour on the Warped Tour," McCaslin explains. "We probably won't play any for a couple more weeks, maybe when we have our first single out."
Last edited by Heather on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: added url
Heather

Post by Heather »

Myspace News

It’s hard to believe it has been almost a decade since the former brats in Sum 41 exploded onto the pop-punk scene with their undeniable anthem “Fat Lip.” But as they say, time flies, and over the past 10 years, Deryck Whibley and company have gone on to tour consistently and record a handful of stellar albums, including the band’s fifth full-length Screaming Bloody Murder, which is set to come out late this summer.

Along the way, Sum 41 have influenced countless younger bands who have taken the band’s Iron Maiden-inflected riffage and occasional nods to hip-hop to heart. They have also caused a lot of raised eyebrows amongst punk purists. Well, you know who can relate to that? The dudes in Attack! Attack! Clearly this is a band who knows a thing or two about melding metal and rap (or would you call it crunk?) and, like Sum, have had their run-ins with the punk-rock police.

Plus, this past summer the YouTube video of Attack! Attack! crouching like crabs got played as much as the “Fat Lip” clip did back when we were in college. So, with that in mind, we caught up with Whibley and Attack! Attack!’s drummer, Andrew Wetzel, for our latest installment of “Generation Gap.”

Interview with Deryck Whibley

How many times have you played the Warped Tour?

You know I’ve never counted, but I’d say we’ve been a part of it at least five times; not the whole thing but we’ve done a couple weeks here and there at least five times.

What keeps you coming back?

The audience, really. There aren’t too many tours that can go through the whole summer like this where you can play in front of your audience—and for us, this is our audience. This is the best way to reach as many of them as possible.

How has the tour changed over the past decade?

I think it’s changed a lot in the past couple of years. It’s different this year because we haven’t heard of a lot of these bands. All the years before it was bands we were familiar with because they were bigger bands, whether you knew what they sounded like or not.

Are there any younger bands you want to check out this summer?

No. [Laughs.] Only because I’ve never heard of them and I don’t know anything about these bands. I’m sure some of them are okay. I’m sure some of them suck. I’m sure some of them are good. I’m sure some are great. I don’t know.

Do you feel out of place at all this summer?

For me it doesn’t mean anything because our set… that’s the only thing I care about. I don’t know anybody this summer really other than Alkaline Trio and Pennywise when they get out here; we have our thing, we have our crew guys and our band and we just all hang out together.

How does it feel to be a Warped Tour veteran?

I’ve honestly never thought about it or felt that. It’s one of those things that other people usually say. I’ve never once thought that we’re a veteran act on this tour because there are so many acts like Face To Face who still do this tour and are much more of a veteran band to me. I feel like the past ten years has gone by so fast. I feel like a new band in a way.
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Charley

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

fenderrocks wrote:big ass post
http://theresnosolution.com/forum/viewt ... 29#p282429

gay.
Heather

Post by Heather »

dude, I thanked you for finding it and said I posted it here too. We've been on good terms for a while don't fuck it up
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk

fenderrocks wrote:dude, I thanked you for finding it and said I posted it here too. We've been on good terms for a while don't fuck it up
Lol, here we go.

All I said was gay, calm yourself. I know this posting of sum news is like, religion to you.

take it easy.
Last edited by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] on Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heather

Post by Heather »

I'm just keeping this thread organized for people who want to look back at the interviews, many have been asking "where did I find this", for that reason I got a little irritated that you called my actions "gay" after I thanked you for finding it
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk

fenderrocks wrote:I'm just keeping this thread organized for people who want to look back at the interviews, many have been asking "where did I find this", for that reason I got a little irritated that you called my actions "gay" after I thanked you for finding it
I called it "gay" like 4 minutes before you thanked me, or at the same time, so I never saw it. and once I did see it, I thought you followed my link from here.

Whatever, thanks for keeping us updated.
Last edited by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] on Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

But does it really matter what his fans think?

“I don’t care what they think. That’s why I married her.”

The fuck? It's all about the fans. Disrespectful, Deryck. I'm hurt bro, hurt.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

The new song apparently coming out August 31st is the car crash ballad? Is that going to be the first single off the album? I'm hoping the first single is a faster song. Though, I can't wait to hear that song. Sounds intense.
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

Jeremy Kill wrote:The new song apparently coming out August 31st is the car crash ballad? Is that going to be the first single off the album? I'm hoping the first single is a faster song. Though, I can't wait to hear that song. Sounds intense.
I don't think it is, or I hope it isn't. I remember during the updates when they were talking about recording that slow song and someone said on twitter that it may be single worthy...but I don't think FIRST single worthy. Hey, its Sum 41. Do you think they'd really release a ballad as the first single? Nayyyy. Some other site said that the single was being released in a couple of weeks on their site. That lead me to believe it would be the 12 minute song. I don't think that will be the first single though either.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil

Post by Emil »

Jeremy Kill wrote:The new song apparently coming out August 31st is the car crash ballad? Is that going to be the first single off the album? I'm hoping the first single is a faster song. Though, I can't wait to hear that song. Sounds intense.
But a ballad would attract way more mainstream kids. Hmm, car crash ballad... that sounds like that Untitled song Simple Plan did.
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

Second single is usually slow song. So the first one is gonna be badass rock song. I'm feeling like the first single & piano ballad Deryck spoke so highly about are gonna be big hits.