underclass hero

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

pbueddi

underclass hero

Post by pbueddi »

can any1 tell me why the album got such bad reviews. i know the reviews are worth crap, but i perosnally think they made an awesome album. ive heard some fans say its their least favorite. to me, its the best. in a weird way, it kind of blends all previous labums together. i just wanna know what evryone else truly thinks of the album.
Mike
Dr. Dynamite

Re: underclass hero

Post by Mike »

best album ever
Bass Cone
Underclass Hero
First name: Brittany
Instrument 1: French Horn
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Guitar

Post by Bass Cone »

I think it is the worst Sum 41 album actually. It feels, I don't know, watered down and weaker. But I still liked it.
Gibsum 41
Underclass Hero
AKA: Gib
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by Gibsum 41 »

Bass Cone wrote:I think it is the worst Sum 41 album actually. It feels, I don't know, watered down and weaker. But I still liked it.
yea, me too.

its an awesome album, no doubt about that. it just didnt feel like Sum 41 to my personal opinion.

NoReason27 is my mastah.
Kano and Still Waiting are my official n00bs. Mess with them and before you know it you'll be working in Nickelodeon :twisted:
J-pan, xmarryxx and conspiracyof1000 are my grandn00bs and T. is my brothah
Nic
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Nic

Post by Nic »

The first time I heard this album was such an amazing moment. It was like magic. Every time I listen to Underclass Hero I imagine that first listen. It's special to me because I don't get that "magic" with any of the other albums. I am not saying that Underclass Hero is my favorite. To tell you the truth, I couldn't choose a favorite Sum album. But that "magic" I feel when I listen is just overwhelming.
Pedro
Resident Skumfuk
n00b: boni/half of sandro

Post by Pedro »

same with what Nic said, I feel that freaky sensation when ever I listen to UH but I dont see it as the best/favorite album of Sum 41. :neutral:
King of Contradiction
Bunkface

Post by King of Contradiction »

I reason that Underclass Hero got mediocre to poor reviews is simply because of the times. Right now the most dominant rock isn't punk pop, it's this indie shiz so for a band to come out with an album like underclass which is punk pop all the critics can do is look at what sum41 has already done which is look at chuck and see underclass hero as a kind of de-evolution of that. One review I read said that the album was good but it just stuck too much to influences like Greenday and blink 182 and I agree there are a lot of similarities.

I think it's a great album, one of my favourites definetly, although it's no DTLI.
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Charley
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

I felt a lot of what Nic does, though now i have to say I don't. I'm not as big of a sum 41 fan now (now my fave band is bfmv) but anyways. I still get those feelings listening to the whole album chuck, and most of the other albums.

KOC is right, and this NU metal bullshit is dominate aswell. like devil wears prada etc. horrible horrible shiz imo.
Sum-42
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Sum-42 »

For me, I just found it somewhat mediocre.
Like, the songs are alright...but so what?
They weren't amazing.
When I used to listen to Sum 41, I'd get this warm feeling in my cold, cold heart......
The second I heard one of their songs come on the radio, I'd know immediately who it was.
Now their music just sounds like everybody else out there.
They've lost their "WOW" factor.
Atleast to me they did.
Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain.
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

I liked it more than other albums, because of the lyrics and the melodies it has in it
Like Walking Disaster: i adore adore adore the quiet parts, but i also loooove the chorus and the upbeat verses, it's like they couldn't do anything wrong, it couldn't be better, even the lyrics are fucking cool (and personal)
Dear Father: also personal, melodic, but way calmer... you see.
Same with Best of Me, With Me,...

On previous albums, slower songs were exceptional (Pieces and Slipping Away on Chuck) but not necessary bad, i would say. The harder ones just dominated the album...
Now it's just an other 'world'; songs like dear father, with me, best of me and quiet parts in speak of the devil, walking disaster and pull the curtain just kinda 'rule' the album, and that's what i just liked; another, how do i say this..., another 'democracy', another order of importance
that's what made this album special for me, the music didn't change extremely much, but the proportions did, you see?
I think Deryck wanted to make this album a long time ago actually
anyway, i'm wondering: why did they choose Underclass Hero as the first single? I know it is representative for Sum 41, but it wasn't for UH, to me... What about you guys?
ToMaTaN
Bunkface
n00b: God

Post by ToMaTaN »

i think King Of Contradiction nailed it. it's just old news for people who listen to whatever the trend is, which is why people reviewed it poorly: because it's not what people want (or are told to) listen to now.

but too us pop-punk/punk rock fans...it's bloody ace! :grin:

so, fuck 'em!
Peterr
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Peter

Post by Peterr »

ToMaTaN wrote:i think King Of Contradiction nailed it. it's just old news for people who listen to whatever the trend is, which is why people reviewed it poorly: because it's not what people want (or are told to) listen to now.

but too us pop-punk/punk rock fans...it's bloody ace! :grin:

so, fuck 'em!
Has been the best ever since i got it :smug:
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

For me, Underclass Hero seemed like a capitalization on the band's previous success. This was even more reinforced when the title track was the first single and the video was similar to Fat Lip and in the same spirit.

When Sum 41 made Infected, it was a really cool thing to see because they were hugely famous with songs from All Killer and they didn't try to milk their fame by making another album similar to it. I really admired them when they made Chuck because it was way different than the previous albums with the exception to No Reason, which just seemed like regular Sum 41 rock-out track.

I don't know... Underclass Hero is alright, but I just see people who like it only because it's radio friendly, catchier and happier now. I don't blame them, who wants to listen to a depressing album?

Like Nic, I felt a little magic when I first listened to Underclass Hero. Mainly, March of the Dogs, Walking Disaster, With Me and Best of Me. But I think the magic has kind of worn off, since I've pretty much "played-out" all the songs last summer, I'm kind of tired of them.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

i don't know what it is with me, but i never get tired of any songs.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Jonny
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Jonny »

Because different people have different opinions, maybe?

Guest is my noob.
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

Sum 41 has been my favorite band for the past 6 yrs now, but i honestly do not have a favorite album by them. as far as Underclass Hero goes, i love the album to death (to answer the main thread question). but like a few ppl on this forum have already said, each Sum 41 album is special and/or significant in its own way. AKNF was totally pop-punk, Blink-182 and Green Day sounding, but with Sum's attitude instead. DTLI was still as catchy, but much harder and faster, which i loved. Chuck, for me, has a whole different vibe to it. it seems kinda dark, but not dark enough to be emo (not that i wanted it to be, but i've heard ppl call it emo), but i still really enjoyed it. Underclass Hero i see as a mixture of all the albums combined so far. it's got the AKNF and DTLI styles in such songs as Underclass Hero, Walking Disaster, Dear Father, March of the Dogs, etc. Chuck comes into play as well on Speak of the Devil, Count Your Last Blessings, The Jester, King of Contradiction, etc. And i especially like how many of the songs have more than one album style worked into them.
overall, i honestly love this album and hope Sum 41 continues to make music with the unbeatable signature sound they've always been known for having!
budgie
Underclass Hero

Post by budgie »

its my least favourite album. i was really hoping that they would make a "chuck 2".
and the pop-punk sound has been done so many times before. it just feels kinda unoriginal to me.

it does have its moments though. (king of contradiction, march of the dogs)
Peterr
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Peter

Post by Peterr »

budgie wrote:its my least favourite album. i was really hoping that they would make a "chuck 2".
and the pop-punk sound has been done so many times before. it just feels kinda unoriginal to me.

it does have its moments though. (king of contradiction, march of the dogs)
I love the pop-punk sound :cool:
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

M-Del wrote:I love the pop-punk sound :cool:
same here
Emil Gellerman

Post by Emil Gellerman »

UH should have been much better if they would have used the same guitarsound as on DTLI.