Instrument 2: My aight guitar

Post by tomhoppus »

tom cant sing live any more
but during the enema of the state days he was awesome

mark just flatt out rocks.....

deryck is awesome live also
ConeBizzy32 wrote:
Something Corporate wrote: I still cant get into the PD media sec
Working on your request makes me a PD? I can't believe how small a man can be.
Gibsum 41
Underclass Hero
AKA: Gib
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by Gibsum 41 »

well, sum hasnt really been that good live recently. before they would jump around the stage and run and deryck would scream words like fuck at the top of his lungs. now they just kinda step in there, play the songs and go home.

NoReason27 is my mastah.
Kano and Still Waiting are my official n00bs. Mess with them and before you know it you'll be working in Nickelodeon :twisted:
J-pan, xmarryxx and conspiracyof1000 are my grandn00bs and T. is my brothah
Blastero

Post by Blastero »

Performance wise, Sum 41 is pretty good now, I'd say. Their stage presence might not have the same diversity and randomness it used to, but they perform pretty well.

I personally think that apart from their early early days, Tom was never really that great live on either guitar or vocals. Especially during the Enema of the State days. Watch them live at Big Day Out in Sydney. I have to honestly say that that is one of the worst live performances I've ever seen from a professional band.
Asho_DirtyPoo
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Asho_DirtyPoo »

Deryck is either great, or TERRIBLE.

There's no mediocre with him. He's either on his game, or he's garbage and should give people their money back.

I'm not talking like, performance-wise, I mean vocally. (EDIT: LIVE vocally)

GutRock Concert Series - The concert series that raises funds and donates 100% of profits to Inflammatory Bowel Disease research.

GutRock Myspace
GutRock Facebook group.
Our under construction, soon to be website
Spencer
Hooch

Post by Spencer »

thi was posted a while ago but yeah hes right. people said that hooch wea copied from click click boom by pod
" I pledge the allegiance to the underclass as your hero at large "
Rick
Jessica Kill

Post by Rick »

Spencer wrote:thi was posted a while ago but yeah hes right. people said that hooch wea copied from click click boom by pod
the song is just called boom. TICK TICK boom is a song by like..the hives or..something i don't know.
http://searchwithsum41.prodege.com/?cmd ... &rb=143979
go there and sign up and win cool shit.
Phili
Underclass Hero
First name: Gavinji

Post by Phili »

Blastero wrote:I've always believed that it's not about any one particular element of the music, but about the whole thing that matters.

Just because a rhythm guitar part or a melody or something sounds similar to that of another song doesn't mean it was "ripped off", because if you take every part of the song as a whole, it's all together a different song.

Sure, The Bitter End uses some similar techniques and writing styles as Metallica did with Battery, but they didn't literally take the chords out of Battery and re-record them as a different song.

Furthermore, even if Sum 41 intentionally made a song of theirs sound like someone else's song, that doesn't even in and of itself qualify as "ripping off". Bands inspire each other and borrow from each other all the time. If bands never emulated each other, music would never have evolved as far as it has.

As long as Sum 41, or any band for that matter, doesn't resort to straight out ripping entire songs without any of their own creativity involved, which they haven't, I really don't have a problem with these similarities between Sum songs and other songs.
Great post.
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Claudia is my grand-noob.
Lisette (bunny) is my great-grand noob.
Blastero

Post by Blastero »

Phili wrote:
Blastero wrote:I've always believed that it's not about any one particular element of the music, but about the whole thing that matters.

Just because a rhythm guitar part or a melody or something sounds similar to that of another song doesn't mean it was "ripped off", because if you take every part of the song as a whole, it's all together a different song.

Sure, The Bitter End uses some similar techniques and writing styles as Metallica did with Battery, but they didn't literally take the chords out of Battery and re-record them as a different song.

Furthermore, even if Sum 41 intentionally made a song of theirs sound like someone else's song, that doesn't even in and of itself qualify as "ripping off". Bands inspire each other and borrow from each other all the time. If bands never emulated each other, music would never have evolved as far as it has.

As long as Sum 41, or any band for that matter, doesn't resort to straight out ripping entire songs without any of their own creativity involved, which they haven't, I really don't have a problem with these similarities between Sum songs and other songs.
Great post.
Thanks. :D
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

I don't really have much of a problem with similarities in songs.

The only thing that bugs me in Underclass Hero is the recycled chord progression.
Gibsum 41
Underclass Hero
AKA: Gib
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by Gibsum 41 »

Gunner wrote: The only thing that bugs me in Underclass Hero is the recycled chord progression.
true that

and does anyone else think cone's bass lines were a lot better in AKNF or Chuck?

NoReason27 is my mastah.
Kano and Still Waiting are my official n00bs. Mess with them and before you know it you'll be working in Nickelodeon :twisted:
J-pan, xmarryxx and conspiracyof1000 are my grandn00bs and T. is my brothah
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

Gibsum 41 wrote:well, sum hasnt really been that good live recently. before they would jump around the stage and run and deryck would scream words like fuck at the top of his lungs. now they just kinda step in there, play the songs and go home.
Oh, I completely disagree. If you watch videos from actual concerts, Deryck's just as insane and Cone's fun to watch because he makes these really weird jagged and erratic movements.
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

you wanna see crazy live? watch finger Eleven live. the guitarists move around, jump and do a lot of crazy stuff. does anyone know their song "One Thing"? its slow and they still move around like crazy during that song.

its a pitty the tour was cancelled. :(
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Gibsum 41 wrote:
Gunner wrote: The only thing that bugs me in Underclass Hero is the recycled chord progression.
true that

and does anyone else think cone's bass lines were a lot better in AKNF or Chuck?
Yeah, they were a lot more creative. Walking Disaster and March of the Dogs seemed to have okay bass lines, but not nearly as good as past songs.

Speaking of Cone's jagged and erratic movements... That really bugs the hell out of me, haha. I've noticed it in the Some Say video and now I can't get it out of my head.
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

^Most of what Cone was doing in the Some Say video was digitally altered. Sped up, slowed down, backwards, etc..
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Charley
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

Phili wrote:^Most of what Cone was doing in the Some Say video was digitally altered. Sped up, slowed down, backwards, etc..
Wow. I didn't know that.

I always thought it looked a bit odd but I like his moves on Some Say.
Mike
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Mike »

in the some say video, u can see them in the far back playing in different clothes, i think derck is playing in a red shirt and cones in a white one, in the beginning when steve does the snare roll u can see it
Asho_DirtyPoo
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Asho_DirtyPoo »

NoReason27 wrote:you wanna see crazy live? watch finger Eleven live. the guitarists move around, jump and do a lot of crazy stuff. does anyone know their song "One Thing"? its slow and they still move around like crazy during that song.

its a pitty the tour was cancelled. :(
I've seen Finger 11 live.

They were the most boring and monotonus concert (why can't I spell monotonus today!?) I've ever seen.

However, that was in 2005, and their music has drastically changed, so their performance may well have too.

GutRock Concert Series - The concert series that raises funds and donates 100% of profits to Inflammatory Bowel Disease research.

GutRock Myspace
GutRock Facebook group.
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Phili wrote:^Most of what Cone was doing in the Some Say video was digitally altered. Sped up, slowed down, backwards, etc..
Isn't the part where they play their instruments in real-time though?
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

Asho_DirtyPoo wrote:

They were the most boring and monotonus concert (why can't I spell monotonus today!?) I've ever seen.

However, that was in 2005, and their music has drastically changed, so their performance may well have too.
hmmm. i'd have to disagree. i own their DVD which has performances from all the way back from when they started and its just as crazy. but, keep in mind its just the guitarists and the drummer who go crazy. the singer and bassist just stand there really.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Asho_DirtyPoo
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Asho_DirtyPoo »

NoReason27 wrote:
Asho_DirtyPoo wrote:

hmmm. i'd have to disagree. i own their DVD which has performances from all the way back from when they started and its just as crazy. but, keep in mind its just the guitarists and the drummer who go crazy. the singer and bassist just stand there really.
You can disagree all you want man...but band live DVDs are no way to judge how a band REALLY is live. They all perform differently when they know they're being recorded - and they only put the BEST and most entertaining concert footage on those dvds.

What I saw...was a snorefest. :P

GutRock Myspace
GutRock Facebook group.