【Exclusive coverage】 Connection with Japan talked by Derrick of SUM 41 and DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL
Click to view the fullsize image.https://images.rollingstonejapan.com/ar ... 92a2c2.jpg
The rock festival "DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL" from the UK landed in Japan for the first time. It is DOWNLOAD JAPAN 2019 which will be held in Makuhari Messe on March 21. SUM 41 is a band with a pop / punk background in the same festival where many hard rock / heavy metal festivities appeared . They are popular in Japan, who have been running through life-size activities. Frontman Derrick Wivly responded to the interview in the US in Los Angeles.
SUM 41 's vocal guitar, Derrick Wivley showed up in the interview room without sound. It was so natural that we got ready to prepare for the interview. He looked very quiet and seems to be naive, but he answered quietly with this question firmly.
SUM 41 plays in DOWNLOAD JAPAN 2019 for the first time in a year and a half since SUMMER SONIC 2017. In this interview, I talked about their recent status that they are in the process of making new works, the connection between SUM 41 and Japan, and DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL.
- Please let us know about the current status of SUM 41, which is active actively after restarting activities in 2015.
Right now I'm just making a new album in the studio. I am still coming here from the studio and I will return to the studio when the interview is over. I do not know the timing of the release yet, but I think I can put out it by about the summer. I think work will end soon.
-How's your health?
I feel a little cold but it's healthy.
- I think Japanese fans are worried.
Oh, my mum is also worried (lol).
- Haha! How was your 15th anniversary tour of the album "Does This Look Infected" held in 2018?
It was very good. Actually, this was a surprise-like event, but we were not very conscious of themselves as "15th anniversary of" Does This Look Infected ". However, the fans started talking about it, they were supposed to go on tour with everyone's boost. However, as we have already decided to produce the next album, we did not do a world tour but only a North American tour.
- Please tell me about the work "Does This Look Infected" again.
I do not know. But, there are some good songs and I think it's a good album. Prior to the production of this work, the tour was booked but there was no album, the studio was holding down but there was no song, all the preparations were in place except for making a song. So, I wrote songs in a couple of weeks after I got home from the tour, recorded in a few weeks, went out for a tour, and I felt that the album was released in the meantime. Every flow was quick.
- It was a work that was made in the midst of busy days.
The album I am making now is making it directly to the studio as soon as the 15th anniversary tour of "Does This Look Infected" finishes. I feel like I'm making it in a short time again this time (laugh). I do not know if it is a good thing or a bad thing, but sometimes songs can be done in a short period of time, sometimes it can take quite a while. I do not know the reason, though.
- Do you make songs from melody? Or from a guitar?
It's from the guitar. Like I was on stage I made the volume of the guitar so terrible and I made songs with images that I really are on stage, including movement. Then put a temporary drum, stack the trucks, and you can melody by singing with oke made like that.
- DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL will be held for the first time in Japan in March, but what is the relationship between SUM 41 and DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL?
I appeared in DOWNLOAD UK in 2004 and 2017. This festival is huge and the audience is also wonderful.
- What do you expect from DOWNLOAD JAPAN?
Japanese fans are always very excited and I think it will be fun. All the Japanese fans sing and they all concentrate on music. Not only some fans but all the audience in the venue. So I'm happy if it gets so excited at DOWNLOAD JAPAN, I can not find a reason not to do so.
- Japanese punk fans feel a strong connection with SUM 41, but how does Derrick feel about the country of Japan?
Japan is a country I like very much, when I first went to Tokyo I thought "I want to move here!" It's a place to spend such a good time. But the only place I dislike Japan is where there are so many rules. This also does not work, I do not like that. I do not know why, but there are things that I do not want? That is troublesome.
- What do you do when you have free time in Japan?
It's shopping. (There are only big size clothes in America, but because there are lots of my size clothes in Japan. Well, during the tour, I will travel around the country by train and there is only one day off, so I can not go shopping slowly, though.
- Immediately after the Great East Japan Earthquake, SUM 41 became the first Japanese band to perform in Sendai in the disaster area. What was the reason for visiting Sendai until the original schedule changed?
It is because people in the afflicted area thought that entertainment would be necessary. There was also a feeling that we wanted to cheer them up because I feel sorry for my heart. Although I did not go to areas with great damage, I felt it was a sad experience and tried to deliver the best possible live. I am happy if everyone who came at that time was pleased.
- I think that everyone was grateful. Please tell us about the collaboration with TAKA of ONE OK ROCK at "WAR" recorded in the latest work "13 Voices" at the present moment.
A few years ago I became friends with TAKA, and while I hung out several times I started playing music together and making songs, but none had finished it to the very end. So, when I was building another song in the studio, I thought "TAKA 's voice does not fit this song", TAKA says "Why do not you sing this?" Well, let's do it! "
- Did you do the recording together?
Since the song was already recording at my home studio, I sent the data to Taka and had my son recorded at his home studio.
-ONE OK ROCK is your favorite Japanese artist?
I was listening to Hi - STANDARD when I was a high school student.
- So, at the end, please tell me the album that you recommend to those who watch SUM 41 for the first time this time.
That's a difficult question. The sound is quite different by the work. But, in DOWNLOAD JAPAN, from the intention of playing from all the albums, it may be better to listen to "Best of SUM41" (laugh).