RECAP: Chat with Dave, April 8th 2018

This forum is home to pre-scheduled live chats with band members, etc.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

RECAP: Chat with Dave, April 8th 2018

Post by TomiT14 »

Here are the transcripts from today's chat session with Dave.
This post has all the messages in chronological order, if you'd like to re-live the chat session. The next post has the chat divided into subjects.
Spoiler: show
Dave Brownsound: Hey all! Thanks for making it today or tonight, depending on where you are!
Dave Brownsound: Hello! First I want to thank Tomi for making this happen.
Tomi: Welcome Dave! Thanks for making time for us!
Dave Brownsound: Hey Tomi

Chelsea (Sum41Canada): Hey, Dave! What song from Does This Look Infected? are you looking forward to revisiting the most on stage for the tour? PS: Excited to reunite at Warped this summer!
Dave Brownsound: Songs from DTLI... I love playing Hooch and I think we dropped Spleen down a couple steps to make it heavier. It feels awesome

Flora_Sum41Italia: How are u??
Dave Brownsound: I'm good Flora, how are you?

Boruzs Balazs: Hi Dave from Hungary! :)
Dave Brownsound: I was just talking about Sziget fest the other day Boruzs

Flora_Sum41Italia: Fine! Can't wait to see you in Italy, again!!
Dave Brownsound: Italy, was such a slow growing crowd for us but I'm glad we finally got to play some big shows there. From football to food you're country is awesome

GabrielMohawk: Hi Dave, i play in a band called Millennium Bug and we’re about to release our first EP. When you came on holiday in Italy two friends of mine came to Lucca just to give you the demo of two songs, so what i’d like to ask you is, if you had the chance to help an original band to come out wuold you try to make it possible by letting them share the stage with you for a show? PS i’m the mohawk guy who gave you the logo in stainless steel in Milan
Dave Brownsound: Hey Gabriel, I'm not sure about the opening slot. I think there are a few bands already in the running for it. How are you?

Thibaut: Hello Dave ! thank you so much for your time and it was great watching the London gig from the side of the stage last year and also it was great that you liked my Lagwagon hoodie too ! Are there any plans to do a tour where Half Hour Of Power is played from front to back ? A Paris date would be much appreciated
Dave Brownsound: Oh wow! I don't know if a Half Hour of Power tour is in the works. It's a very unknown record outside of the Sum 41 family.

Flora_Sum41Italia: Can you talk about new Sum 41 record??
Dave Brownsound: I am able to talk about the new record

pernambucano223: Dave hello from Ukrane! There are a lot of your fans here. Did you guys start working on new album? what will it be like? i know iе may sounds a little bit stupid, but...
Dave Brownsound: I've always wanted to play Ukraine, I think the guys made it there in the records I wasn't a part of. The new record is in the very beginning stages. If it was a baby it would still be in the womb. So far though it's got some incredible stuff with our sound and a bit of maturity, I'm loving the melodies Deryck has written so far.

Boruzs Balazs: Dave! Did you watch the Manchester derby yesterday? It was awesome. I'm Liverpool fan so I hate these two club and I hope we will win the next week against Manchester City.
Dave Brownsound: I didn't catch the Derby, I was at m step son's tournament yesterday. I'm pumped to see Newcastle getting results and I watch Salah own City the other day.

Chelsea (Sum41Canada): Are you guys doing any different production for this upcoming tour? I loved your recent stage set-up with Bonesy!
Dave Brownsound: There is some talk about the colour schemes from the record and I think we're all going to try and rock some outfits that go with the artwork as well.

Aditi: Hi Dave, I'm from India. What's your favourite album by sum 41?
Dave Brownsound: Aditi, that's like asking me to pick a favourite child. I love them all for different reasons.

Flora_Sum41Italia: I'll be at Beat Fest, Rimini & Lignano (all italianTour)...and Sum 41 Italia'll celebrate 10th Bday. We have seen that you have so many football shirts, what would you like to receive next time, in Italy?
Dave Brownsound: I've got a surprise for Italy next time, I think my shirt will be real smelly by the time we finish in Italy.

Jb1992: Any chance of playing some tracks from Chuck? Open your eyes, Noots, angels with dirty faces
Dave Brownsound: I don't know if any songs from Chuck will be played.

Thibaut: Have you ever thought about the idea of a documentary about the band as of now yet ?
Dave Brownsound: I know we were talking about a documentary at some point but thanks to you all the recent couple of years have kept us too busy to think about anything other than music. Even my fiancée and I are keeping our wedding plans on hold because the band is having too much fun right now.

Pizzocchero99: Hey Dave! How are you?
Dave Brownsound: I'm good Pizzo!

Kiryu: What band has influenced you the most?
Dave Brownsound: Influences change so much from time to time. I think right now I m listening to so much Fu Man Chu that they are coming through in my writing. When we write a record I always pop in m DVD of A Year and A Half in the Life of Metallica, It makes me feel inspired.

GabrielMohawk: So, are you planning to play Does This Look Infected? full also in Europe?
Pizzocchero99: Dave, are you going to play DTLI in the European tour?
Dave Brownsound: I wish we could have done the DTLI tour in EU but we decided that an American run was all we could throw together on short notice.

Boruzs Balazs: I'm a beginner guitarist and you are my idol. I really love your technique. Could you give me some advice about the sound. And how can I be better? I have many problems with solos and some riffs.
Dave Brownsound: Boruzs, I have never believed in natural talent. I am also not an incredible player. It's up to you to find a sound you like and perfect it, there is a time on guitar where you are learning to hone your skill through emulation and a time where you will see your originality flourish. Don't rush yourself, enjoy yourself.

Jb1992: What’s the plans for this live Paris DVD? Will this be released with the new album??
Dave Brownsound: No idea with the Paris DVD.

Thibaut: Thank you so much for answering Dave ! What was the first show that you ever saw ?
Dave Brownsound: My first show was a kids artist named Raffi. He had hits like "Bananaphone and Baby Beluga."

Pizzocchero99: So in the European tour there will be also Chuck, 13 Voices song?
Dave Brownsound: For sure we will be playing songs from all the records Pizzo. Can't wait to get there.

Louis: Hi Dave!! (i'm from france) Will you play some DTLI songs (like no brains, Mr amsterdam, hooch), this summer at festivals?
Dave Brownsound: Hey Louis, we will be playing as much of the material as our time allows us!

GabrielMohawk: Have your ever thought to let fans play on stage with you?
Dave Brownsound: Sometimes we have people come on stage with us. Not as much these days, a couple of times it went pretty badly.

fartie1: Hey Dave! How do you feel about the albums you weren't a part of, now that you're playing them a lot on shows? Still not exactly to your taste?
Dave Brownsound: I was such a dick back then, the records without me are really good. My opinions of them were skewed by drugs depression and jealousy.

Flora_Sum41Italia: Italian fans would like to know: Playstation or Xbox!?
Dave Brownsound: I'm on ps4

Pizzocchero99: Dave, what is your favourite tuning for the guitar?
Dave Brownsound: I love standard tuning.

Sum41addict: Are you looking forward to the DTLI tour?
Dave Brownsound: I was so bummed when I missed the 10 year so yes I am very excited to play this tour. This record was the one where we realized learning to play more technically was fun and challenging.

Aditi: Any guilty pleasure pop song in you list?
Dave Brownsound: I don't really feel guilty for liking anything but I love Mariah Carey's "Emotions." That's pretty funny.

lulawhibley: hi Dave! =D
Dave Brownsound: Hey Lula!

Thibaut: What's the most difficult song guitar wise to play on stage ?
Dave Brownsound: Honestly the intro of All Messed Up is tough as hell, it seems so simple but my ham hock hands keep pulling the high E off of the fret board so it sounds worse than a RockBand flub.

Sum41addict: What happened ??
Dave Brownsound: Sum41addict what happened when?

Sum41addict: Lmao what do you play on PS4
Dave Brownsound: I'm on Batman Arkham City right now.

Pizzocchero99: Dave the records without you are a different sound! Chuck, 13 Voices you can listen to the heavy sound that you have! And it is so amazing! I only think about Goddamn I'm dead again and I can't find a way to play this solo! How the hell did you write this solo?!
Dave Brownsound: Pizzo I got a call from Deryck and he was like I need you to solo over this section, I was like okay. I took the small portion of the song on my phone with me to the gym and listened to it over and over for about two hours. Had the idea and I remember singing the melody into my phone at the bench press. Not my most manly moment lol

pernambucano223: about pc games: have you played at Dota 2?
Dave Brownsound: I haven't been on PC games for a while. My old computers melted down on me a lot. I think it was because of my website preferences back then...

Louis: what's the most difficult sum 41's solo to play?
Dave Brownsound: The most difficult solo is definitely Hell Song. Not all the time, just the other day. I went to jump up on the risers and fell in front of a couple thousand people lol. I played a few jazz fusion notes and my shin still has a scab on it.

Estelle-Sum41Switzerland: What tv series do you watch at the moment??
Dave Brownsound: I'm watching the Office with Eden and Gotham with Coley.

Thibaut: How does it feel to play in a band with three guitarists with the current line-up ?
Dave Brownsound: I love playing with Tom. Deryck and I have always had good chemistry because we are like brothers. Tom just makes Deyck and I sound really good. He's tight clean and easily the best guitarist in the band.

fartie1: Are there more tour dates to be announced for the summer festival tour? Possibly Sweden again...?
Dave Brownsound: I would love to come back to Sweden!

lulawhibley: what's the craziest thing that a fan did for Sum 41?
Dave Brownsound: I still think when we signed a prosthetic leg was our craziest moment with a fan. After we tried to hand it back someone grabbed it and took off running into the baseball field we were playing on that festival day. We saw three yellow jacketed security guards tackle him like he was cheetah food. Funny but I hope that guy stopped stealing people's limbs after that lesson.

pernambucano223: what was the last movie you have seen? what good movie would you recommend to watch?
Dave Brownsound: I just took my step son to see Ready Player One. I thought it was well done, some corny moments but really cool concept.

Boruzs Balazs: I really love your voice in a Brown Brigade. One day you should sing a song on the new album in Sum 41. Talk about it with Deryck! It will be fun.
Dave Brownsound: Kendra and I just got boozed up the other night and sang Karaoke in my studio. I deleted the session and burned my computer upon listening back. My voice has always been a good back up singer voice. It doesn't cut enough to please the ear.

Renfreak: Dave, what do you always bring on tour with you? Can include food too!
Dave Brownsound: I bring a PS4 so I'm not spending money in the bars. I have a penguin beanie baby that has gone on every tour with me since a family friend's daughter gave it to me.

Flora_Sum41Italia: What would you be if you weren't a musician?
Dave Brownsound: Flora I would be a guitar tech or an instagram model, and instagram model with one follower. My mother, my dad wouldn't even follow me.

Pizzocchero99: If you had to choose, for a superband, who you would choose?(guitarist, singer, bassist, drummer and son on)
Dave Brownsound: Pizzo let's see. Tom Morello guitar, Zach De La Rocha on vocals, Timmy c on bass and Brad Wilk on drums. Also me side stage crying like a schoolboy.

Tomi: Are there any songs from Underclass or SBM that you would like to play live, but haven't yet?
Dave Brownsound: I would like to play Jessica Kill.

Thibaut: Not speaking about the DTLI tour, how do you organise and plans which songs go on the setlist ?
Dave Brownsound: Usually Deryck will come up with the sets. It's important to me that the person that does the most talking and singing makes the set. A small disturbance in the force can shake a singer's confidence and ruin the vibe.

Kiryu: Have you ever saw the old Japanese Godzilla movies?
Dave Brownsound: I enjoyed the old Godzilla movies!

fartie1: Even though the current lineup is awesome, would you prefer the original one? (you, Deryck, Cone, and Steve)
Dave Brownsound: I prefer whatever moment I'm living in. I love Stevo of course I have no complaints about him he's always my brother. I love this lineup because it's the current lineup, I'll never be able to prefer one or the other.

Chelsea (Sum41Canada): You must let that karaoke resurface from cyberspace for us. What did you both cover?
Dave Brownsound: I covered Bohemian Rhapsody and Kren did Linger by the Cranberries. So bad, so so so bad.

Mitchell: Do you still play fifa18? If so, are you up for a game sometime?
Dave Brownsound: I only play online pro. Holding down RCM like a vice boss.

pernambucano223: at what age have you started playing music?
Dave Brownsound: I started playing Guitar in 93

Pizzocchero99: So you are saying Rage Against The Machine
Dave Brownsound: Pizzo yes RATM with a side of me peeing my pants from excitement side stage lol

Thibaut: How do you feel about playing the last edition of the Warped Tour this summer ?
Dave Brownsound: I think Warped Tour will be both amazing and emotional. I still remember trekking across the whole grounds in Montreal in order to play our set and being so fucking pumped to be allowed to play. It's a huge part of our existence.

Chelsea (Sum41Canada): Have you tried messing around in rehearsals to any of those songs you haven't played yet with the band?
Dave Brownsound: We always jam older album deep cuts in rehearsal it's lots of fun.

Sum41addict: Have you ever had a terrible concert experience
Dave Brownsound: I was a bit disappointed my first time seeing Clutch. Then I Saw them again at ...And Here Come The Wolves Fest and they blew my ass away.

Pizzocchero99: What do you think about the new scenes of the pop punk? (Neck Deep, Story So Far, A Day To Remember and so on)
Dave Brownsound: I like seeing Pop Punk progress, if it died I would be really disappointed. Those bands killed it on Warped every day.

fartie1: Speaking of Tom Morello, have you ever played Killing In The Name live, or at all (with sum 41)? Think you'd play it great!
Dave Brownsound: We did do Killing In The Name of in an old band but it was in the drummer's basement and his dad came and put his hand around the neck of my guitar and told us: "I don't know about your house but in this house the words Fuck You are unacceptable!"

Louis: could we have a chance to have meets and greets at festivals this summer? it would be awesome
Dave Brownsound: Never say never Louis.

Flora_Sum41Italia: You are back on stage/studio with Sum41 after years, how was it coming back? We missed you, and it was a pleasure to meet you, In Milan!
Dave Brownsound: Milan will hold a great place in my heart. Our label in EU is based there and they have treated us like family!

Tomi: Some of the vocals in Fall & Rise sound like your singing. Is it really you, or is Deryck's range of vocals messing my head?
Dave Brownsound: I did sing those in the closet of his last house Tomi!

lulawhibley: what band do you listen to? what are your favorites?
Dave Brownsound: I listen to a lot of FU Man Chu, I think '68 is great. Lots of Riffy stuff.

Estelle-Sum41Switzerland: I'm planning to go to Canada this summer to see you at Warped tour I can't wait! Any advices what to do or what to see in Toronto??
Dave Brownsound: Estelle, bring your appetite. A lot of nice places to eat and bars like The Bovine Sex Club (not a sex club) are great to hang with Torontonians.

pernambucano223: wish you good luck and all the best to band. Ukraine loves you. Hope to see you as soon as it will be possible with concert in Kyiv or anywhere else in our country. it was nice to talk to the idol. Thanks for this amazing experience.
Dave Brownsound: No problem Perna! Okay guys last couple of minutes. I have to get back to cleaning the house

Pizzocchero99: Which sport do you like the most?
Dave Brownsound: Easily soccer/Football

Renfreak: There are many facets of being a musical artist. I’m sure you love everything about it, but if you had to choose, what is your favourite part about your career? It could be anything from studio recording to music videos to of course playing live shows.
Dave Brownsound: Ren, I love being known for my ability to play as opposed to my ups and downs in my social life. I enjoy when people come and say hi and talk about the band but I also love being able to go out in public alone and be one of the people that happen to be on the street that day. I couldn't handle or ask for more.

Pizzocchero99: Don't you like Toronto Raptors?
Dave Brownsound: I do like watching basketball but I think I was more happy when I found out TO was entering the MLS.

Kiryu: Have you ever heard of the Beastie Boys?
Dave Brownsound: I love the Beastie Boys. Without them, we wouldn't have written Fat Lip.

Dave Brownsound: Thanks to you all and everyone please thank Tomi, he made this happen. We'll see you out there! Love you guys!
Tomi: Thank you so much Dave for spending time with us today! Let's do it again some time!
Dave Brownsound: I'll definitely do this again! Best people to have listen o our music evverrrr!!!
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: RECAP: Chat with Dave, April 8th 2018

Post by TomiT14 »

Arranged by subject.
Spoiler: show
Dave Barownsound: Hey all! Thanks for making it today or tonight, depending on where you are!
Dave Barownsound: Hello! First I want to thank Tomi for making this happen.
Tomi: Welcome Dave! Thanks for making time for us!
Dave Barownsound: Hey Tomi

SUM 41

Chelsea (Sum41Canada): Hey, Dave! What song from Does This Look Infected? are you looking forward to revisiting the most on stage for the tour? PS: Excited to reunite at Warped this summer!
Dave Barownsound: Songs from DTLI... I love playing Hooch and I think we dropped Spleen down a couple steps to make it heavier. It feels awesome

Thibaut: Hello Dave ! thank you so much for your time and it was great watching the London gig from the side of the stage last year and also it was great that you liked my Lagwagon hoodie too ! Are there any plans to do a tour where Half Hour Of Power is played from front to back ? A Paris date would be much appreciated
Dave Barownsound: Oh wow! I don't know if a Half Hour of Power tour is in the works. It's a very unknown record outside of the Sum 41 family.

Flora_Sum41Italia: Can you talk about new Sum 41 record??
Dave Barownsound: I am able to talk about the new record

pernambucano223: Dave hello from Ukrane! There are a lot of your fans here. Did you guys start working on new album? what will it be like? i know iе may sounds a little bit stupid, but...
Dave Barownsound: I've always wanted to play Ukraine, I think the guys made it there in the records I wasn't a part of. The new record is in the very beginning stages. If it was a baby it would still be in the womb. So far though it's got some incredible stuff with our sound and a bit of maturity, I'm loving the melodies Deryck has written so far.

Chelsea (Sum41Canada): Are you guys doing any different production for this upcoming tour? I loved your recent stage set-up with Bonesy!
Dave Barownsound: There is some talk about the colour schemes from the record and I think we're all going to try and rock some outfits that go with the artwork as well.

Aditi: Hi Dave, I'm from India. What's your favourite album by sum 41?
Dave Barownsound: Aditi, that's like asking me to pick a favourite child. I love them all for different reasons.

Jb1992: Any chance of playing some tracks from Chuck? Open your eyes, Noots, angels with dirty faces
Dave Barownsound: I don't know if any songs from Chuck will be played.

Thibaut: Have you ever thought about the idea of a documentary about the band as of now yet ?
Dave Barownsound: I know we were talking about a documentary at some point but thanks to you all the recent couple of years have kept us too busy to think about anything other than music. Even my fiancée and I are keeping our wedding plans on hold because the band is having too much fun right now.

GabrielMohawk: So, are you planning to play Does This Look Infected? full also in Europe?
Pizzocchero99: Dave, are you going to play DTLI in the European tour?
Dave Barownsound: I wish we could have done the DTLI tour in EU but we decided that an American run was all we could throw together on short notice.

Jb1992: What’s the plans for this live Paris DVD? Will this be released with the new album??
Dave Barownsound: No idea with the Paris DVD.

Pizzocchero99: So in the European tour there will be also Chuck, 13 Voices song?
Dave Barownsound: For sure we will be playing songs from all the records Pizzo. Can't wait to get there.

Louis: Hi Dave!! (i'm from france) Will you play some DTLI songs (like no brains, Mr amsterdam, hooch), this summer at festivals?
Dave Barownsound: Hey Louis, we will be playing as much of the material as our time allows us!

GabrielMohawk: Have your ever thought to let fans play on stage with you?
Dave Barownsound: Sometimes we have people come on stage with us. Not as much these days, a couple of times it went pretty badly.

fartie1: Hey Dave! How do you feel about the albums you weren't a part of, now that you're playing them a lot on shows? Still not exactly to your taste?
Dave Barownsound: I was such a dick back then, the records without me are really good. My opinions of them were skewed by drugs depression and jealousy.

Sum41addict: Are you looking forward to the DTLI tour?
Dave Barownsound: I was so bummed when I missed the 10 year so yes I am very excited to play this tour. This record was the one where we realized learning to play more technically was fun and challenging.

Thibaut: What's the most difficult song guitar wise to play on stage ?
Dave Barownsound: Honestly the intro of All Messed Up is tough as hell, it seems so simple but my ham hock hands keep pulling the high E off of the fret board so it sounds worse than a RockBand flub.

Pizzocchero99: Dave the records without you are a different sound! Chuck, 13 Voices you can listen to the heavy sound that you have! And it is so amazing! I only think about Goddamn I'm dead again and I can't find a way to play this solo! How the hell did you write this solo?!
Dave Barownsound: Pizzo I got a call from Deryck and he was like I need you to solo over this section, I was like okay. I took the small portion of the song on my phone with me to the gym and listened to it over and over for about two hours. Had the idea and I remember singing the melody into my phone at the bench press. Not my most manly moment lol

Louis: what's the most difficult sum 41's solo to play?
Dave Barownsound: The most difficult solo is definitely Hell Song. Not all the time, just the other day. I went to jump up on the risers and fell in front of a couple thousand people lol. I played a few jazz fusion notes and my shin still has a scab on it.

Thibaut: How does it feel to play in a band with three guitarists with the current line-up ?
Dave Barownsound: I love playing with Tom. Deryck and I have always had good chemistry because we are like brothers. Tom just makes Deyck and I sound really good. He's tight clean and easily the best guitarist in the band.

fartie1: Are there more tour dates to be announced for the summer festival tour? Possibly Sweden again...?
Dave Barownsound: I would love to come back to Sweden!

lulawhibley: what's the craziest thing that a fan did for Sum 41?
Dave Barownsound: I still think when we signed a prosthetic leg was our craziest moment with a fan. After we tried to hand it back someone grabbed it and took off running into the baseball field we were playing on that festival day. We saw three yellow jacketed security guards tackle him like he was cheetah food. Funny but I hope that guy stopped stealing people's limbs after that lesson.

Tomi: Are there any songs from Underclass or SBM that you would like to play live, but haven't yet?
Dave Barownsound: I would like to play Jessica Kill.

Thibaut: Not speaking about the DTLI tour, how do you organise and plans which songs go on the setlist ?
Dave Barownsound: Usually Deryck will come up with the sets. It's important to me that the person that does the most talking and singing makes the set. A small disturbance in the force can shake a singer's confidence and ruin the vibe.

fartie1: Even though the current lineup is awesome, would you prefer the original one? (you, Deryck, Cone, and Steve)
Dave Barownsound: I prefer whatever moment I'm living in. I love Stevo of course I have no complaints about him he's always my brother. I love this lineup because it's the current lineup, I'll never be able to prefer one or the other.

Thibaut: How do you feel about playing the last edition of the Warped Tour this summer ?
Dave Barownsound: I think Warped Tour will be both amazing and emotional. I still remember trekking across the whole grounds in Montreal in order to play our set and being so fucking pumped to be allowed to play. It's a huge part of our existence.

Chelsea (Sum41Canada): Have you tried messing around in rehearsals to any of those songs you haven't played yet with the band?
Dave Barownsound: We always jam older album deep cuts in rehearsal it's lots of fun.

Louis: could we have a chance to have meets and greets at festivals this summer? it would be awesome
Dave Barownsound: Never say never Louis.

Flora_Sum41Italia: You are back on stage/studio with Sum41 after years, how was it coming back? We missed you, and it was a pleasure to meet you, In Milan!
Dave Barownsound: Milan will hold a great place in my heart. Our label in EU is based there and they have treated us like family!

Tomi: Some of the vocals in Fall & Rise sound like your singing. Is it really you, or is Deryck's range of vocals messing my head?
Dave Barownsound: I did sing those in the closet of his last house Tomi!

OTHER

Boruzs Balazs: Dave! Did you watch the Manchester derby yesterday? It was awesome. I'm Liverpool fan so I hate these two club and I hope we will win the next week against Manchester City.
Dave Barownsound: I didn't catch the Derby, I was at m step son's tournament yesterday. I'm pumped to see Newcastle getting results and I watch Salah own City the other day.

Flora_Sum41Italia: I'll be at Beat Fest, Rimini & Lignano (all italianTour)...and Sum 41 Italia'll celebrate 10th Bday. We have seen that you have so many football shirts, what would you like to receive next time, in Italy?
Dave Barownsound: I've got a surprise for Italy next time, I think my shirt will be real smelly by the time we finish in Italy.

Kiryu: What band has influenced you the most?
Dave Barownsound: Influences change so much from time to time. I think right now I m listening to so much Fu Man Chu that they are coming through in my writing. When we write a record I always pop in m DVD of A Year and A Half in the Life of Metallica, It makes me feel inspired.

Boruzs Balazs: I'm a beginner guitarist and you are my idol. I really love your technique. Could you give me some advice about the sound. And how can I be better? I have many problems with solos and some riffs.
Dave Barownsound: Boruzs, I have never believed in natural talent. I am also not an incredible player. It's up to you to find a sound you like and perfect it, there is a time on guitar where you are learning to hone your skill through emulation and a time where you will see your originality flourish. Don't rush yourself, enjoy yourself.

Thibaut: Thank you so much for answering Dave ! What was the first show that you ever saw ?
Dave Barownsound: My first show was a kids artist named Raffi. He had hits like "Bananaphone and Baby Beluga."

Flora_Sum41Italia: Italian fans would like to know: Playstation or Xbox!?
Dave Barownsound: I'm on ps4

Sum41addict: Lmao what do you play on PS4
Dave Barownsound: I'm on Batman Arkham City right now.

Pizzocchero99: Dave, what is your favourite tuning for the guitar?
Dave Barownsound: I love standard tuning.

Aditi: Any guilty pleasure pop song in you list?
Dave Barownsound: I don't really feel guilty for liking anything but I love Mariah Carey's "Emotions." That's pretty funny.

pernambucano223: about pc games: have you played at Dota 2?
Dave Barownsound: I haven't been on PC games for a while. My old computers melted down on me a lot. I think it was because of my website preferences back then...

Estelle-Sum41Switzerland: What tv series do you watch at the moment??
Dave Barownsound: I'm watching the Office with Eden and Gotham with Coley.

pernambucano223: what was the last movie you have seen? what good movie would you recommend to watch?
Dave Barownsound: I just took my step son to see Ready Player One. I thought it was well done, some corny moments but really cool concept.

Renfreak: Dave, what do you always bring on tour with you? Can include food too!
Dave Barownsound: I bring a PS4 so I'm not spending money in the bars. I have a penguin beanie baby that has gone on every tour with me since a family friend's daughter gave it to me.

Flora_Sum41Italia: What would you be if you weren't a musician?
Dave Barownsound: Flora I would be a guitar tech or an instagram model, and instagram model with one follower. My mother, my dad wouldn't even follow me.

Kiryu: Have you ever saw the old Japanese Godzilla movies?
Dave Barownsound: I enjoyed the old Godzilla movies!

Boruzs Balazs: I really love your voice in a Brown Brigade. One day you should sing a song on the new album in Sum 41. Talk about it with Deryck! It will be fun.
Dave Barownsound: Kendra and I just got boozed up the other night and sang Karaoke in my studio. I deleted the session and burned my computer upon listening back. My voice has always been a good back up singer voice. It doesn't cut enough to please the ear.

Chelsea (Sum41Canada): You must let that karaoke resurface from cyberspace for us. What did you both cover?
Dave Barownsound: I covered Bohemian Rhapsody and Kren did Linger by the Cranberries. So bad, so so so bad.

Mitchell: Do you still play fifa18? If so, are you up for a game sometime?
Dave Barownsound: I only play online pro. Holding down RCM like a vice boss.

pernambucano223: at what age have you started playing music?
Dave Barownsound: I started playing Guitar in 93

Pizzocchero99: If you had to choose, for a superband, who you would choose?(guitarist, singer, bassist, drummer and son on)
Dave Barownsound: Pizzo let's see. Tom Morello guitar, Zach De La Rocha on vocals, Timmy c on bass and Brad Wilk on drums. Also me side stage crying like a schoolboy.

Pizzocchero99: So you are saying Rage Against The Machine
Dave Barownsound: Pizzo yes RATM with a side of me peeing my pants from excitement side stage lol

fartie1: Speaking of Tom Morello, have you ever played Killing In The Name live, or at all (with sum 41)? Think you'd play it great!
Dave Barownsound: We did do Killing In The Name of in an old band but it was in the drummer's basement and his dad came and put his hand around the neck of my guitar and told us: "I don't know about your house but in this house the words Fuck You are unacceptable!"

Sum41addict: Have you ever had a terrible concert experience
Dave Barownsound: I was a bit disappointed my first time seeing Clutch. Then I Saw them again at ...And Here Come The Wolves Fest and they blew my ass away.

Pizzocchero99: What do you think about the new scenes of the pop punk? (Neck Deep, Story So Far, A Day To Remember and so on)
Dave Barownsound: I like seeing Pop Punk progress, if it died I would be really disappointed. Those bands killed it on Warped every day.

lulawhibley: what band do you listen to? what are your favorites?
Dave Barownsound: I listen to a lot of FU Man Chu, I think '68 is great. Lots of Riffy stuff.

Estelle-Sum41Switzerland: I'm planning to go to Canada this summer to see you at Warped tour I can't wait! Any advices what to do or what to see in Toronto??
Dave Barownsound: Estelle, bring your appetite. A lot of nice places to eat and bars like The Bovine Sex Club (not a sex club) are great to hang with Torontonians.

Pizzocchero99: Which sport do you like the most?
Dave Barownsound: Easily soccer/Football

Renfreak: There are many facets of being a musical artist. I’m sure you love everything about it, but if you had to choose, what is your favourite part about your career? It could be anything from studio recording to music videos to of course playing live shows.
Dave Barownsound: Ren, I love being known for my ability to play as opposed to my ups and downs in my social life. I enjoy when people come and say hi and talk about the band but I also love being able to go out in public alone and be one of the people that happen to be on the street that day. I couldn't handle or ask for more.

Pizzocchero99: Don't you like Toronto Raptors?
Dave Barownsound: I do like watching basketball but I think I was more happy when I found out TO was entering the MLS.

Kiryu: Have you ever heard of the Beastie Boys?
Dave Barownsound: I love the Beastie Boys. Without them, we wouldn't have written Fat Lip.

GREETINGS

Flora_Sum41Italia: How are u??
Dave Barownsound: I'm good Flora, how are you?

Boruzs Balazs: Hi Dave from Hungary! :)
Dave Barownsound: I was just talking about Sziget fest the other day Boruzs

Flora_Sum41Italia: Fine! Can't wait to see you in Italy, again!!
Dave Barownsound: Italy, was such a slow growing crowd for us but I'm glad we finally got to play some big shows there. From football to food you're country is awesome

GabrielMohawk: Hi Dave, i play in a band called Millennium Bug and we’re about to release our first EP. When you came on holiday in Italy two friends of mine came to Lucca just to give you the demo of two songs, so what i’d like to ask you is, if you had the chance to help an original band to come out wuold you try to make it possible by letting them share the stage with you for a show? PS i’m the mohawk guy who gave you the logo in stainless steel in Milan
Dave Barownsound: Hey Gabriel, I'm not sure about the opening slot. I think there are a few bands already in the running for it. How are you?

Pizzocchero99: Hey Dave! How are you?
Dave Barownsound: I'm good Pizzo!

lulawhibley: hi Dave! =D
Dave Barownsound: Hey Lula!

pernambucano223: wish you good luck and all the best to band. Ukraine loves you. Hope to see you as soon as it will be possible with concert in Kyiv or anywhere else in our country. it was nice to talk to the idol. Thanks for this amazing experience.
Dave Barownsound: No problem Perna!

Dave Barownsound: Thanks to you all and everyone please thank Tomi, he made this happen. We'll see you out there! Love you guys!
Tomi: Thank you so much Dave for spending time with us today! Let's do it again some time!
Dave Barownsound: I'll definitely do this again! Best people to have listen o our music evverrrr!!!
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Nice! Thanks for putting in the work to arrange them.
Sad I missed the chat but its cool to read that Dave is very enthusiastic about what they are writing right now!!

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Re: RECAP: Chat with Dave, April 8th 2018

Post by Iam The Ghost »

So, what happened to the Cone-chat? Will there be a recap?

Edit: nevermind, I'll just go through the chat room :happy:
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

I missed the Dave chat but I'm disappointed no one asked Dave about either Brown Brigade (probably dead for a long time now, but still if there's any chance he'll revisit it or come back to it at some point) or Organ Thieves, which I think still exist but I don't know if Dave is still active with them. I really loved their debut album.