Derycks signature squier

Play guitar? Don't know tabs? We can help you out right here.
pescidavid
First name: David
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums
Instrument 3: Piano

Derycks signature squier

Post by pescidavid »

I'm building a studio in my new house and got the idea of surrounding the walls with the guitars of writers who shaped me (I also want to eventually get DeLonges strat and epiphone es333.) Also for the most part I've only played les paul style guitars so I wanted to start training my ears to different types of guitars. Derycks signature model squier is a lot harder to come by these days so I saw someone selling one for $250 and I jumped.
Anyone have any experience with this Guitar? I've read mostly good things but thought I'd check around here for opinions or just a fun conversation.

Side note the best part about this whole story was that I didn't even know I was buying Derycks signature on his birthday! How poetic, right?
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

I have it. It's pretty good, I like it a lot. Very nice tone for that punk-rock kinda sound. Comfortable too, not very heavy. Definitely worth the money IMO
pescidavid

Post by pescidavid »

Nice! Did you end up keeping the stock pickup? I know some people swapped it out for a jb saying it's night and day and others love it just with the stock duncan designed
Jeremy Kill
Re: Derycks signature squier

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I have it in Olympic white, and I really enjoy playing it. I changed the pickup to the JB mostly for authenticity since at the time it was the pickup Deryck was using live. For $250, it's worth it. Especially since it's not being sold anymore. I'm sure if people were willing to part with theirs and wanted to make a profit they could jack up the price to $500 and someone would still probably buy it.

I remember watching some reviews on YouTube where people were pleased with the quality of the guitar and its sound. I've even seen some local musicians in my city use it during their shows.

The only problems I had were aesthetics, like one of the X's was slightly crooked and there's a slight bubble underneath the paint on the back of the guitar.
pescidavid

Post by pescidavid »

Jeremy Kill wrote:I have it in Olympic white, and I really enjoy playing it. I changed the pickup to the JB mostly for authenticity since at the time it was the pickup Deryck was using live.
Awesome. So were you not satisfied with the original pick up or did you purely upgrade for accuracy?
I was thinking I'd probably get the JB in it eventually when I can get the spare cash for it. This will be stock for a few months at least

Also any recommendations on the strengths of a Tele? (leads, octaves, rhythm etc) like I said I've pretty much only used a les paul all my time writing and recording. I imagine they will work well together for harder pop punk and general rock tracks. Just looking for some insight as to what some of you guys think.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

pescidavid wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:I have it in Olympic white, and I really enjoy playing it. I changed the pickup to the JB mostly for authenticity since at the time it was the pickup Deryck was using live.
Awesome. So were you not satisfied with the original pick up or did you purely upgrade for accuracy?
I was thinking I'd probably get the JB in it eventually when I can get the spare cash for it. This will be stock for a few months at least

Also any recommendations on the strengths of a Tele? (leads, octaves, rhythm etc) like I said I've pretty much only used a les paul all my time writing and recording. I imagine they will work well together for harder pop punk and general rock tracks. Just looking for some insight as to what some of you guys think.
It was purely for accuracy at first. I had the stock pick up for a few months before they were swapped and from what I remember the stock pickup sounded dull compared to the JB. Like the JB just had more punch to it. So in the end I was happy I switched them because the guitar had a better quality sound now.

As for the Telecaster in general, I would say it's a good rhythm guitar. It's usually used a lot in country/blues because of that "twang" that it has, but since the Deryck Squier isn't a traditional Tele it should make a decent guitar for rock music.