iOS7

Calling all nerds! Talk tech in this forum.

Moderator: Boni

Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: sarrrwhite

iOS7

Post by Gutter Dreams »

Any thoughts on Apple's upcoming operating software? Or any comments if you actually already have it.
To be honest I'm afraid to update it right away. Definitely going to wait a few months.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Got the first beta when it came out a couple of months ago, and as can be expected from a beta it was glitchy as shit. My concern is that, having not been fixed six betas later, many of these glitches will make it into the final release.
The new visual style is great, despite a few of the icons looking a little... well, shit. The new features like Control Centre and revamped Music are welcome changes, but in terms of functionality Apple still have a long way to go to catch up with the likes of HTC. I'm switching over to a One+ (or whatever it's going to be called) at the end of my current contract.
fuck this signature nonsense
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Re:

Post by Jake »

Gregorovich wrote:Got the first beta when it came out a couple of months ago, and as can be expected from a beta it was glitchy as shit. My concern is that, having not been fixed six betas later, many of these glitches will make it into the final release.
The new visual style is great, despite a few of the icons looking a little... well, shit. The new features like Control Centre and revamped Music are welcome changes, but in terms of functionality Apple still have a long way to go to catch up with the likes of HTC. I'm switching over to a One+ (or whatever it's going to be called) at the end of my current contract.
I assure you the grass is not greener.

I've been developing on iOS 7 for a few months. Not really played with it past what i've needed to do to the basic settings. I don't think I've even opened the music app. As far as betas go, it's been pretty stable.

You have to bear in mind Apple hold back as much as they can until the last minute, which is why things don't appear to be improving.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
X^2
Billy Spleen

Re: iOS7

Post by X^2 »

I haven't been following this at all. Does Apple give this update for free or does it cost something? I know they charge some money on their mac's whenever a bigger update gets released. Also is it mostly a visual update or are there actually some new features? Truth be told i'm rather happy with how the iOS works right now, so I'm not sure if I even want a any major changes. Thanks.
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

X^2 wrote:I haven't been following this at all. Does Apple give this update for free or does it cost something? I know they charge some money on their mac's whenever a bigger update gets released. Also is it mostly a visual update or are there actually some new features? Truth be told i'm rather happy with how the iOS works right now, so I'm not sure if I even want a any major changes. Thanks.
It will be free.

They've made multitasking better, Added a control centre to allow you to turn off Wifi, Flight mode, bluetooth, DND mode etc by just swiping up from the bottom of the screen (like you would for the notification centre). Siri has had a pretty major update - It's no longer "beta" software. They've also improved photo organisation.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

I tried the first beta way back when it was first released, and did not like it. The music app, in my opinion, was especially terrible. I enjoyed the added features, but the look, colours and just the whole aesthetic of everything was gross. I found that backgrounds that I used normally in iOS 6, did not look good in iOS. I know it sounds stupid, but I do not want to be limited to the types of backgrounds my phone can have. My phone is not an accessory.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Gutter Dreams

Re:

Post by Gutter Dreams »

Dylan wrote:I tried the first beta way back when it was first released, and did not like it. The music app, in my opinion, was especially terrible. I enjoyed the added features, but the look, colours and just the whole aesthetic of everything was gross. I found that backgrounds that I used normally in iOS 6, did not look good in iOS. I know it sounds stupid, but I do not want to be limited to the types of backgrounds my phone can have. My phone is not an accessory.
that's what I'm nervous about, it seems like the backgrounds I use would look HORRID with the iOS7 layout and color scheme
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

I'm confident this will be a welcome update, at least from my point of view.
However, I do feel that the icons look kind of rubbish.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Jake wrote:
X^2 wrote:I haven't been following this at all. Does Apple give this update for free or does it cost something? I know they charge some money on their mac's whenever a bigger update gets released. Also is it mostly a visual update or are there actually some new features? Truth be told i'm rather happy with how the iOS works right now, so I'm not sure if I even want a any major changes. Thanks.
It will be free.

They've made multitasking better, Added a control centre to allow you to turn off Wifi, Flight mode, bluetooth, DND mode etc by just swiping up from the bottom of the screen (like you would for the notification centre). Siri has had a pretty major update - It's no longer "beta" software. They've also improved photo organisation.
Also, it appears they fixed the icon for the Map app where it usually tells you to drive off the overpass! Classic!

I gotta say, the new iOS looks pretty fancy, but it also looks really simple to the point where it could pass for a kid's game or software. I might get it after school tomorrow. We'll see.
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

It will be free.

Yey. Don't really care about Siri, but the control centre update sounds great - I always thought that all those settings required a few too many taps on the screen. Also multitasking improvements are always welcome. =)
Gutter Dreams

Post by Gutter Dreams »

All over twitter and tumblr (mainly the iOS 7 tag itself) there's a bunch of reports of the install being unable to actually install it once the software is downloaded, as well as it taking anywhere from 2-267 hours.
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

I'm not sure how long it took me to download, but it felt relatively quick for me. I updated my girlfriend's phone too, but her's took a lot longer, definitely over an hour and a half, but she has an iPhone 4S.

I wonder how much better Siri is because I tried using it with the UK accent (I wanted a butler-sounding iPhone, like what Alfred is to Bruce Wayne), but it wouldn't interpret anything I said properly. Then I figured it must be because it only recognizes an accent similar to the one it's set to... But I desperately want a butler iPhone.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

I just updated mine, its a two year old iPhone 4S. The software took close to two hours to download onto my computer, and then ten minutes to update to my phone. Five minuets in and I hate everything about the music app I also had to change my background to something less white because I couldn't read the App names... I immediately regret updating... lets hope it grows on me.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Haha, I just torrented it and installed it manually because you can't OTA update from the beta. Took like 10 minutes.
fuck this signature nonsense
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Couldn't care less about this. The whole goddamn internet is full with it and it gets pretty annoying to be honest.