Japanese Band SCANDAL inspired by SUM41 & Avril Lavigne

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Japanese Band SCANDAL inspired by SUM41 & Avril Lavigne

Post by HugoDisasters »

The Japanese band called SCANDAL (which i also love!) mentioned in an interview recently that they were inspired by SUM41! And their lead singer was talking about Avril Lavigne in the beginning of the video.
Here is the video of the interview:

04:20 is when SUM41 is on

Since it's not subbed, there is a summary of what was being said though:
On this episode, the show will be exploring SCANDAL’s creative roots, and to try to find out more about the all-girl band that have achieved great heights like getting the 2009 Japan Records New Artist Award and then scoring their Nippon Budokan live this year. First up, “Cute Rock Star”: HARUNA (rhythm guitarist & vocals) talks about her liking for the Canadian Singer-Songwriter, Avril Lavigne. Haruna says she really looks up to Avril, first and foremost for her great live performances, and then of course how strongly she depicts girls. The host also throws in that Avril has great messages in her songs and Haruna agrees.

Next is on “Punk Band”, which Mami (lead guitar & vocals) identifies the Canadian band Sum 41. MAMI explains that while she does like punk music, she doesn’t have much idea about what goes into a band when the 4 of them first started out. So of course to find out more, they hit places like CD rental shops and borrowed some music and DVDS, all based on their jacket covers. They then listened to bands like Sum 41 and KISS and basically went for it based on outlooks. Sum 41 were one of those first bands, and thought, “Ah, so that’s what a band is about”. They went against the idea of going down the KISS route, instantly thinking, “There’s no way we could do this!”
I think this is awesome, especially that they went to get the Chuck album and DVDs, I knew about the band before they told that they were inspired by The Sums and i actually noticed some similarities, but didn't figure it all out until it was actually confirmed. I think it's cool to see a band of the newer generation being inspired by something like Sum 41! You should really check out their songs if you can manage not understanding the lyrics :winkwink:

Check this song out for example:

Click to view the fullsize image.https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5310_n.jpg[/imgwidth]
Click to view the fullsize image.http://24.media.tumblr.com/d12854e9b39e ... o2_500.jpg[/imgwidth]

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Re: Japanese Band SCANDAL inspired by SUM41 & Avril Lavigne

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

Not gonna lie, I am a fan. This is music that any Sum 41 fan would enjoy.
Nic
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Nic

Post by Nic »

I relate so much to her beautiful lyrics... :smug:
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

I remember this song from Full Metal Alchemist, that was a pretty good show. Not a bad song either.
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

Yeah, I also know this song from FMA: Brotherhood. I really like that anime ending and such a coincidence that everything relates in my life somehow to Sum 41. :D
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

Nic wrote:I relate so much to her beautiful lyrics... :smug:
Well at least try! :hehe:
Iam The Ghost wrote:Yeah, I also know this song from FMA: Brotherhood. I really like that anime ending and such a coincidence that everything relates in my life somehow to Sum 41. :D
Coincidence? I think not! I hate to say it, but everything is actually related to everything, and well... Everyone is related to everyone, twice.
that's probably not true anyway but it's fun to think about

The color scheme of one of their album covers reminds me about Underclass Hero for some reason :o

X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

Coincidence? I think not! I hate to say it, but everything is actually related to everything, and well... Everyone is related to everyone, twice.
Ya know, according to a certain study if we would assume that 2000 years ago a person would have had 2 children, and then his children would also have children (1 or 2, 2 is not necessary each time) and so forth, then today everyone in this globe would be a descendant of that very first person. We also need to assume that the members of the family line would move around the world normally.
I'm not sure if I explained clearly... Hmm. Anyways, it's a pretty interesting study made by well respected scientists. :silly:
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

X^2 wrote:
Ya know, according to a certain study if we would assume that 2000 years ago a person would have had 2 children, and then his children would also have children (1 or 2, 2 is not necessary each time) and so forth, then today everyone in this globe would be a descendant of that very first person. We also need to assume that the members of the family line would move around the world normally.
I'm not sure if I explained clearly... Hmm. Anyways, it's a pretty interesting study made by well respected scientists. :silly:
why 2000 years ? is there a deeper meaning behind that ? And why would everybody be related to that one person ? there have been other people at the same time aswell. It's not like he was the only one to get children. ^^
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

I'm sorry but I usually like songs in languages I understand
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

why 2000 years ? is there a deeper meaning behind that ? And why would everybody be related to that one person ? there have been other people at the same time aswell. It's not like he was the only one to get children. ^^
Well, looking back at my original post I notice I did explain the theory quite bad. Haha. So basically 2000 years is approx. the time required for the theory to come to true. You could start counting from yourself and by year 4000something everyone could be your descendant if your descendants kept procreating with the pace of 1 or 2 children.I don't think I can explain it any better without the research, (I don't remember it's name right now).
But I think this is going WAAY offtopic. :silly:
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

Druska wrote:I'm sorry but I usually like songs in languages I understand
It's alright, everyone has their different ways of relating to music. Don't they? :winkwink:
X^2 wrote:
why 2000 years ? is there a deeper meaning behind...... (blablabla)
But I think this is going WAAY offtopic. :silly:
It's indeed quite off-topic. Somehow things get off-topic here quite often, I wonder why.

Anyway, Ontopic...

As the most powerful Japanese girl band they are getting quite a lot of attention. One of their songs, titled "Satisfaction" (サティスファクション) was used in a Windows 8 commercial all over Japan and other Asian countries. That's pretty cool. Could you imagine SUM41 having one of their songs for a commercial for something like Jack Daniels? Maybe not hehe :hehe: But I love to put bands of different origins in other perspectives. So don't go all harsh on me if you get off on the wrong line when reading my posts :)

SCANDAL to release new compilation album, “ENCORE SHOW”

Click to view the fullsize image.http://static.tokyohive.com/wp-content/ ... 00x445.jpg[/imgwidth]
Read more:
Spoiler: show
SCANDAL will be releasing a new compilation album titled “ENCORE SHOW” on February 6th.

This album will feature 15 coupling tracks from their singles released thus far. Songs include “KOSHI-TANTAN“, which was the theme song for the animated film ‘Loups=Garous‘, “CUTE!“, which was the collaboration song for Sanrio’s ‘Cinnamoroll‘, and “Satisfaction“, which was the TV CM song for Microsoft’s ‘Windows 8‘.

It will also contain a new song called “PLAY BOY“. The girls have been performing this song since their debut, but this will be its first physical release. The album will be available in both limited and regular editions.
source: http://www.tokyohive.com/2012/12/scanda ... core-show/
I don't know if you're into poppy upbeat songs but give this song a try.
It's called "Happy Collector" and was used as a soundtrack to some cheesy movie I don't remember the name of right now. But It's a cool song.