[Review] Billy Talent @ Seinäjoki, Finland

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

[Review] Billy Talent @ Seinäjoki, Finland

Post by TomiT14 »

This was already two weeks ago, but better late than never, right?

BT is one of my top 5 favorite bands. I've seen them live only once before in 2010, but I wasn't a fan yet back then, so the show wasn't that special to me. But since then I've waited for a second chance!

And now the band decided to play 4 shows in Finland. Fucking four, in FINLAND?!
One problem though. Before I was sure which show I could attend, the one I was able to go was sold out. Bummer!

Weeks passed. I tried to find a ticket seller online with no luck. Then like a gift from above, only 5 hours before the show, I got a message that I would have a ticket to the show. I was having a flu, but that didn't stop me to take a 4-hour train ride to Seinäjoki, a small city in middle Finland.

To cut the shit short, I was surprised how a normally lame FInnish crowd was so energetic, even without a supporter band to open for the main act. The show itself was good. Not great, not awesome, but good. I don't know if I have become too used to Sum 41's awesomeness, but this show was just missing something. Just like the last BT show I was at, it seemed like the band played the songs just like they were in the albums. No extended bridges (excluding Devil On My Shoulder), nothing extra. Even Ben's stage banter between the songs wasn't at its best. Three times he spent the time between songs to talk to the band members away from the mic, and when he grabbed the mic again, he said "We were just talking about how Aaron (the drummer) shits his pants". Three times. It wasn't even funny imo. Oh well.

Back in St. Petersburg this Summer, I talked with Cone about Billy Talent. He pointed out that Ian (the guitarist) doesn't really move on stage because of the complex riffs. This time though that wasn't the case. Maybe he wasn't as energetic as Deryck and Tom, but he still moved around a bit, which was cool.

Oh and few more down sides. The volume for Ben's mic was way too low for the entire show. I could barely hear his singing over the crowd, and my camera didn't catch it either. So it felt like an instrumental show foremost. And the setlist was a bit lame too. It was only hits and couple of new songs. And the new songs were the ones I usually skip while listening to the new record. And what is it with Line & Sinker? I dislike that song so much, why not The Ex instead?

Click to view the fullsize image.http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 7393_n.jpg[/imgwidth]

The Setlist

1. Lonely Road To Absolution
2. Viking Death March
3. This Is How It Goes
4. Devil In A Midnight Mass
5. This Suffering
6. Line & Sinker
7. Love Was Still Around
8. Rusted From The Rain
9. Saint Veronika
10. Surrender
11. Runnin' Across The Tracks
12. Diamond On A Landmine
13. Man Alive!
14. Turn Your Back
15. Try Honesty
16. Devil On My Shoulder
--Encore--
17. Fallen Leaves
18. Surprise Surprise
19. Red Flag
UltraKolby
Hooch
First name: Kolby
Instrument 2: Piano

Re: [Review] Billy Talent @ Seinäjoki, Finland

Post by UltraKolby »

Sounds awesome man!! I would like to see them one day.
And how don't you like Line and Sinker?! It is a hard song to listen to at first but after awhile, its just awesome!
wiggs1441
Underclass Hero
First name: Sagiv
n00b: BrandonCorey, Kyle

Post by wiggs1441 »

Awesome man! Who opened for them in Finland? Was it the Arkells?
tomhoppus is my Master!
NoReason27 is my Grand-master!
BrandonCorey is my N00B!
Sum-42 is my Grand N00B!

sumelf
Hooch
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by sumelf »

Gonna see them in 20 days in Moscow. Hope they'll play some more songs, this isn't a playlist of my dream for real. TomiT14 you should one day come to a Moscow show of punk-rock band. You'll see a real craziness of crowd :)
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

Well, I started listen to their music about a month ago... (I have a habit to choose a band who I possibily would like and listen to every albums of them) and now I f*cking love them! And they've just announced a show in my country, what a coincidence. I really, really want to see them, the problem is, I don't have anyone to go with, my friends have a different music style. :( So, I don't know what to do, maybe go alone... I'm afraid I'm thinking too much till every tickets will be sould out. :(

And yeah, I prefer The Ex over Line and Sinker, but I like both. I just miss Tears Into Wine, Pins and Needles, Hanging by a Thread and Pocketful of Dreams (why they never play the last two live? :().

Btw, do you know where I could download Scandaleous Travelers? I've searched it everywhere and I just found the same torrent which stops at 95,9%. :(
Last edited by Iam The Ghost on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

UltraKolby wrote:And how don't you like Line and Sinker?! It is a hard song to listen to at first but after awhile, its just awesome!
I don't know, I just dislike the chorus so much. You almost can't even figure out what he's singing (or screaming) during it without reading the lyrics somewhere. And it's even worse live imo.
Iam The Ghost wrote:Well, I started listen to their music about a month ago... (I have a habit to choose a band who I possibily would like and listen to every albums of them) and now I f*cking love them! And they've just announced a show in my country, what a coincidence. I really, really want to see them, the problem is, I don't have anyone to go with, my friends have a different music style. :( So, I don't know what to do, maybe go alone... I'm afraid I'm thinking too much till every tickets will be sould out. :(

And yeah, I prefer The Ex over Line and Sinker, but I like both. I just miss Tears Into Wine, Pins and Needles, Hanging by a Thread and Pocketful of Dreams (why they never play the last two live? :().
Yeah, when I went to their show in 2010, I had only listened to a couple of songs. I only started to listen to them after the show, and now they are my favorites!

They used to play The Ex on their last tour, with Tears Into Wine thrown in every now and then. Tears Into Wine is my favorite song by them, so it's sad I probably will never hear it live. And the new album would have a lot better choices to play than the ones the did. Hanging By A Thread, Don't Count On The Wicked, Cure For The Enemy..
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

I'm surprised they didn't play Hanging By A Threat, that's a really good song off Dead Silence.