Windows 8

Calling all nerds! Talk tech in this forum.

Moderator: Boni

Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Windows 8

Post by Tyler. »

Did anyone get it yet?!??! Opinions?!?!?

I think i'm gonna upgrade next week
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Re: Windows 8

Post by Ardi41 »

i was considering getting it , but everyone i know says it's shit so i'm not quite sure yet ... i'm pretty happy with my windows 7 though.For my purposes it's enough...
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

I had a gigantic rant about this on GDA yesterday so I'm going to just say it again.

The main feature, obviously, is the replacement of the start menu with the start screen. But what I liked about the start menu is that it doesn't intrude on what you're doing. It's just a little box at the side of the screen in which you can find all your programs and folders. A start screen forces you to leave what you're doing.

I get what they're trying to do with Windows 8, but I don't want a simpler desktop. I was a practical desktop. If I wanted to sacrifice practicality for simplicity, I would have bought a Mac. I really don't like how programs are now 'apps'. They're .exe files. Yeah, the original desktop is still there for those like me who don't want a tablet/phone interface on a PC, but the loss of the start menu really does make navigation more confusing. Now, if I go into the Start screen and open a program like a browser, or open My Documents, I'm taken to a full-screen tablet-like version of both. The fact that everything is fullscreen also makes task managing a complete pain. What's easier - clicking on one of the icons at the bottom of the screen to bring up any other window you have open, or going to the top left corner, dragging down, and scrolling through a list of thumbnails? They already did a cool task-managing feature with the release of Vista (Windows+Tab) which works perfectly fine if you don't want to use the taskbar for whatever reason. So why add another which is more complicated than both of those?

I know I'm being harsh, but I really don't think Windows 8 is suited at all for desktop computers. It would be awesome on tablets - I would buy MS Surface above any other tablet if it was running Windows 8. But for a PC, there is not a single useful feature I can see in the demonstrations. At the end of the day, a lot of people are selling Windows 8 to those like me (who love everything about the Windows 7 interface) by saying 'it's really not that different from Windows 7'. Which is a really bad selling point - what, then, is the point of upgrading?
fuck this signature nonsense
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

They've pretty much merged the Desktop OS with the Windows Mobile GUI. While it's (kinda) great for touch screens it sucks with a mouse and keyboard.

AND they've gone all nazi with the "Certified app" shit. I've got Win 8 installed, but 7 is still my main OS. I'll only start using it IF any programs decide to require it. Which won't be for a good while yet.

My opinion is... If you use a mouse and keyboard - there's no point.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

not happening
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

Windows 7 works great for me, so nope I'm not gonna change.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

I might consider trying it, not sure if i will keep it though...

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

I have a question, I have windows 7 installed on my pc, is a mini laptop with 1gb of ram (that's sucks) but works great for me, can I upgrade to windows 8 without problems? Or I have to create a partition for Windows 8 for security?
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

I'd shove an extra gig of RAM in it...

It should upgrade fine to the standard edition of Windows 8 if you are running Starter or either of the Home editions of 7. If you're running 7 Pro or Ultimate/Enterprise, you'll need to use Windows 8 Pro to use the in-place upgrade.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

I'll update you guys after I've tried it out. After a lot of reading/watching about it, it seems like a lot of the hate is unwarranted trolling so I'm just gonna try it myself, even though I'm poor $40 isn't much.

My Mum is still on Vista so I'm gonna be the guinea pig for whether she should upgrade or not, answer will most probably be yes haha, it's a harder decision if you're on 7.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Andros »

Jake wrote:I'd shove an extra gig of RAM in it...

It should upgrade fine to the standard edition of Windows 8 if you are running Starter or either of the Home editions of 7. If you're running 7 Pro or Ultimate/Enterprise, you'll need to use Windows 8 Pro to use the in-place upgrade.
I'm work on my mini laptop on Windows 7 Ultimate, so what can I do if I want upgrade to Windows 8? What version you recommend me? Knowing the specifications of my mini laptop. I'm afraid that I have to change the hard drive again, because earlier this year, I installed the developer preview on my pc, but it gave me problems when trying to choose which windows would start on the booth screen. After that I have to format my pc, then I try to install the same developer preview without partitons, but again gave me problems with some drivers, I re-install over that, but when I installed the windows, the sound driver disappeared, after that try to install it again, but the pc turn to frozen, I turn it off and that's when my hard drive failed. So now I want to know if it's secure to install it. Thanks guys.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Andros wrote:
Jake wrote:I'd shove an extra gig of RAM in it...

I'm work on my mini laptop on Windows 7 Ultimate, so what can I do if I want upgrade to Windows 8? What version you recommend me? Knowing the specifications of my mini laptop. I'm afraid that I have to change the hard drive again, because earlier this year, I installed the developer preview on my pc, but it gave me problems when trying to choose which windows would start on the booth screen. After that I have to format my pc, then I try to install the same developer preview without partitons, but again gave me problems with some drivers, I re-install over that, but when I installed the windows, the sound driver disappeared, after that try to install it again, but the pc turn to frozen, I turn it off and that's when my hard drive failed. So now I want to know if it's secure to install it. Thanks guys.
One of the main reasons for a developer preview is compiling of new drivers. You should check your motherboard manufacture's website or computer distributor's website to check if they support Windows 8. Just because they worked on Windows 7 doesn't necessarily mean they will work on the new version.

Windows 8 is not at all a bad operating system, I personally don't like the user interface because I don't use a touch device with to use with it. I feel a little sad Mircosoft never added some sort of legacy mode for the mouse and keyboard people even if only with the professional and above grades if need be. Considering I got it for £15 I installed it onto an old hard drive and I don't really plan on using it unless I really need to. Windows 7 runs perfectly fine for me and as the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, why bother fixing it."
[donate][/donate]
Andros
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Andros »

Boni Boy Blue wrote: One of the main reasons for a developer preview is compiling of new drivers. You should check your motherboard manufacture's website or computer distributor's website to check if they support Windows 8. Just because they worked on Windows 7 doesn't necessarily mean they will work on the new version.

Windows 8 is not at all a bad operating system, I personally don't like the user interface because I don't use a touch device with to use with it. I feel a little sad Mircosoft never added some sort of legacy mode for the mouse and keyboard people even if only with the professional and above grades if need be. Considering I got it for £15 I installed it onto an old hard drive and I don't really plan on using it unless I really need to. Windows 7 runs perfectly fine for me and as the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, why bother fixing it."
Thanks! And I don't know but, my computer distributor is Acer
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

So I checked it out in a store a couple of days ago. Fucking hated it. Absolutely impossible to navigate, and so many unnecessary features as well as completely absent ones.
fuck this signature nonsense