iPhone thread.

Calling all nerds! Talk tech in this forum.

Moderator: Boni

Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Re: iPhone thread.

Post by Dylan »

i only ever plug mine in at night when it's at 1% or 2%. i only ever had to do this every second day.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

I have to charge mine every night, sometimes more. But I'm quite the heavy user.

How often you charge it won't affect the battery's lifespan.

It is recommended you let it run dry and charge it to full once every few weeks.

They're designed to hold a charge of 80% of it's initial out of the box capacity at 400 cycles.

(One cycle being 100% -> 0% which can be made up of a 30% -> 100% charge + a 70% -> 100% charge... etc...)

Letting the phone get unusually cold will negatively impact your battery lifespan too. Anything much below 0ºC won't do it much good.

There are things you can do to increase it's battery life like disabling location services (Or at least just for the weather app & clock, this is extremely over-active), reduce brightness, turning off push for email & manually fetching data, disable 3G when you don't need it, disabling push notifications and enable airplane mode if the phone is going to be searching for network coverage.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

Jake wrote:I have to charge mine every night, sometimes more. But I'm quite the heavy user.

How often you charge it won't affect the battery's lifespan.

It is recommended you let it run dry and charge it to full once every few weeks.

They're designed to hold a charge of 80% of it's initial out of the box capacity at 400 cycles.

(One cycle being 100% -> 0% which can be made up of a 30% -> 100% charge + a 70% -> 100% charge... etc...)

Letting the phone get unusually cold will negatively impact your battery lifespan too. Anything much below 0ºC won't do it much good.

There are things you can do to increase it's battery life like disabling location services (Or at least just for the weather app & clock, this is extremely over-active), reduce brightness, turning off push for email & manually fetching data, disable 3G when you don't need it, disabling push notifications and enable airplane mode if the phone is going to be searching for network coverage.
I usually use my phone a lot e.i music and texting mostly, but also for twitter/facebook/tumblr.

I used to charge my 4S every night, then by the time I charged it around, 7pm it would be at ~40% .

This phone, I charged the other night to 100%, then turned it off while I slept (I always do it) and by 7 it was still on 62%. Which to me is a significant amount greater.

I only bothered charging it tonight was because I'm going to be listening to a lot of music tomorrow because I have to get up and go to physio.

So the more often you charge it doesn't affect the lifespan? I feel like it does.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I haven't noticed any major changes in the battery lifespan of my iPhone 4 and I've been charging it every night since I bought it. On a normal day it doesn't get any lower than 70%. When I'm at work it gets down to 30% to 40% at the end of the day, but that's because work can be so boring.

The way I see it is that you never really know when you're going to need your phone for something (emergency wise) so it's good to start the day with a full charge instead of 60% or something.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

My old 3GS definitely needs a new battery, or I should just buy a new iPhone.
I always carry a portable charger with me cause the battery will last about 10 hours if I barely use it.
When I go to school (2 hours of school) I always come home with a low battery charge (less than 20%) cause I use it a lot on the bus.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

You should let it empty and give it a full charge at least once a month.
[donate][/donate]