Blood In My Eyes Music Video Is Up!

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
Jeremy Kill
Re: Blood In My Eyes Music Video Is Up!

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I think something is up with the forum because Mitchell's the latest post, but all I see is Sarah's...

Anyway, getting to the nitpick-y side of things, yeah I agree with some of you that Deryck looked a little rough. Like he was tired or something before this shoot. Didn't really look like you could tell what he was singing sometimes. The story wasn't the best, I understand. It would've been cool if there was some sort of twist near the end or like a "big reveal".

When it comes down to it though, they could've easily did a standard music video, but instead opted to have a video with a prologue and some sort of "interlude" with Skumfuk. This video was definitely made for the fans and I for one am glad I waited this long for a 7+ minute video that utilized Skumfuk's sweet intro. It was worth the wait for me.

EDIT: Oh, however there is one thing I really do not like about the music video and it is the tie. It looked so corny. Other than that, I enjoyed the video.
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

I really dig the concept of the video. I didn't think it was as gory as Mitch was saying early on, but I dug how the video went. It is definitely a video that should please the fans. Hopefully you guys are all pretty pleased with it. I mean, it clearly showed that they did put effort into making it happen, and they had a vision in mind, and even made it happen. I'm glad some of the negative people can stop bitching about how inactive the band is, or how they don't care about the fans, or how they're bad businessmen (wtf??? still don't get that).

Sum 41 fans have it nice, lol. My favorite band hasn't released an official video since like '04 and goes inactive for months at a time!
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Post by SBMurder »

lol didnt people expect it to just be them playing in the Desert?
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

i liked the video overall, but i think it could have had better flow. the interlude part was dumb. it was dark enough (rape, anyone?) and the videography was very cool but "epic"? no. worth waiting 7 months for? seems kinda irrelevant to bring that up.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

SBMurder wrote:lol didnt people expect it to just be them playing in the Desert?
I did say the "band playing in a desert" thing was unoriginal, but I don't think I said that. Although, I understand why someone would think that if the band said they spent only a half hour in the desert shooting their music video.
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Post by SBMurder »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
SBMurder wrote:lol didnt people expect it to just be them playing in the Desert?
I did say the "band playing in a desert" thing was unoriginal, but I don't think I said that. Although, I understand why someone would think that if the band said they spent only a half hour in the desert shooting their music video.
probably not you,, But im sure i heard it being mentioned that the expectations werent the highest or something like that
Queso Man
King of Contradiction
First name: Bryant
360 Gamer Tag: Queso Man
Twitter: Queso_Man

Post by Queso Man »

There was a twist at the end, he unzipped and zipped his pants earlier and we didn't see! Go figure.

About Deryck though, I'm guessing they didn't have any makeup artists in the desert. He looked rough. Not bad, but certainly not good. It was nice to see Tom in an official music video.
Vash15
First name: Daniel
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by Vash15 »

Fuck, that was high concept. I like it.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

Am I the only person here who thinks it sucks? I mean it is so painfully obvious that it was going to be about rape. I hate this high concept shit. Everything is so over the top, like a bad Tarantino short. I just forced myself to watch it again and was once again glad when it was over. Not because it was shocking, but because it seems like an extremely bad parody of itself.

Now I will always have this abortion of a video in my head when I listen to BIME, great.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Damn ... i didn't have time to watch it untill now and i gotta say , the video is freaking amazing !! Yeah the storyline wasn't the best blah blah ... it's a goddamn music video !!!! what the fuck did you expect ? a freaking kubrick epic ?
Well at least i can speak for myself , and i believe this was their best music video so far ... just the fact that there actually IS a storyline , does rate the video higher ... i mean when was the last time the sums had a legit music video ? I (as a little movie nerd) also really liked the storyline cause it felt like a tribute or hommage to the old 70s-80s low budget exploitation horror movies (1974 origianal Texas Chainsaw massacre .. anyone ? ).
For me it was definetly worth the wait , even though deryck looked pretty fucked up and his soul did seem to be floating in a parallel universe while his body was there to shoot the video.
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

I liked it, and as most of the people here I think it was worth the wait !

The part where they play Skumfuk could have been worse, I think the transitions are pretty well done ! I really like the part where the clouds move fast.

The colors are pretty cool, and the overall theme completely fits the song. But yeah, as some people said, Deryck doesn't look good, I guess he had a rough night before shooting that video !

There's one more thing: the video length is about 7 minutes, and one thing I told myself once it was over was: "already ?". I think that sums up my thoughts pretty well.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Simon wrote:Am I the only person here who thinks it sucks? I mean it is so painfully obvious that it was going to be about rape. I hate this high concept shit. Everything is so over the top, like a bad Tarantino short. I just forced myself to watch it again and was once again glad when it was over. Not because it was shocking, but because it seems like an extremely bad parody of itself.

Now I will always have this abortion of a video in my head when I listen to BIME, great.
I agree. I barely managed to finish watching it and when it finally ended I decided never to watch it again.

To me it just seems like the idea wasn't that bad, even though it is quite generic and ordinary, but the video is poorly made. Music videos often suck though...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

I think it's really good video. Not really music video, more of a short film or something like that. Really well done and made for fans, spotted "Jessica Kill" on the first watch and even small detail like that gave a lot of depth to the video! Well done!

PS.
Deryck, you have to sleep more!
jordidanen95
Bunkface
First name: jordi
Instrument 2: piano

Post by jordidanen95 »

i fucking hate it.

what happened to the awesome sum41 with video's such as ''with me'' or ''walking disaster''
this is horseshit... damn :(
Susanne
Goon

Post by Susanne »

Yeah I agree that it's great that they obviously made the video for the fans and themselves, instead of trying to make it bring them loads of money. I would probably like it, if I wasn't such an over-sensitive person, who can't really deal with violence/horror. I think I could say that I appreciate it, but don't exactly "like" it.
Hoocher
Bunkface

Post by Hoocher »

On topic: I really liked it. As some of you said, although it's about 7 minutes long when it was over I thought: "Already?" I want more...a sequel. I wish there will be another video of another amazing song that continues the storyline (sounds awesome to me). It's amazing to see how much they've evolved muscially and even concept wise in videos. It tells the stories behind several other songs (Jessica kill, Tomi said the guy is Billy Spleen). To me the transitions are pretty good and the story flows, the skumfuck intro just fits somehow and I think we should be thankful it's now out there since they don't play it live and maybe some of the fans forgot about, though I love it. Yes, I know, the idea was really obvious but I thought without a doubt that this is the best video they've made so far. Though Deryck looks pretty stoned or tired I know it was like that back then when they shot these scenes in the desert. Though after seeing him live last month I can guarantee you that he's very well and energetic and focused while performing. To sum up, I think it was great and that they're really doing it for us, the fans. If I had an option I'd just say "thank you" to each and every one of them.

Off topic: It really bugs me to see some of the comments here. I mean I know it's your constructive crtisism and your opinion and it might never change. Though, complaning that the video was too obvious and corny and that the concept is a the same as a shitty Tarantino movie, it's just plain wrong. You complain the band is in-active, not making videos. You were mad when the BYDWK video was just live footage. So now you're saying it was not worth the wait? They obviously don't think of the money they'll earn from this video or how many times it goes on MTV as it won't. They think about the fans how they want a music video which is actually from their newest album which was released almost 1.5 years ago. It has a storyline, it has actors and different sets, it's in high definition and it combines several tunes from some of their songs (SBM, Skumfuck, Pull the Curtain, Reason to believe intro/Back where I belong outro). Just be thankfull that there is a decent video which perhaps took a while to release it, though it was definitely worth the wait. The only thing I can bitch about if I'm being a real punctual asshole is the poor editing regarding Deryck's jacket. I mean you can see it on him for like 2 quick scenes and then it's off for the rest of the video. So why bother to even wear it on?

PS: Not trying to start any fights or anything just says what's on my mind.
Last edited by Hoocher on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Hoocher wrote:Off topic: It really bugs me to see some of the comments here. I mean I know it's your constructive crtisism and your opinion and it might never change. Though, complaning that the video was to obvious and corny and that the concept is a the same as a shitty Tarantino movie, it's just plain wrong. You complain the band is in-active, not making videos. You were mad when the BYDWK video was just live footage. So now you're saying it was not worth the wait? They obviously don't think of the money they'll earn from this video or how many times it goes on MTV as it won't. They think about the fans how they want a music video which is actually from their newest album which was released almost 1.5 years ago. It has a storyline, it has actors and different sets, it's in high definition and it combines several tunes from some of their songs (SBM, Skumfuck, Pull the Curtain, Reason to believe intro/Back where I belong outro). Just be thankfull that there is a decent video which perhaps took a while to release it, though it was definitely worth the wait. The only thing I can bitch about if I'm being a real punctual asshole is the poor editing regarding Deryck's jacket. I mean you can see it on him for like 2 quick scenes and then it's off for the rest of the video. So why bother to even wear it on?

I might be wrong, but I think Simon was trying to say that the video looks like a bad attempt to resemble Tarantino's work, not that Tarantino's movies are 'shitty', although he might have that opinion about his movies.

And of course I appreciate that they weren't making this for the money, but if I took a piss in your mouth would you like it just because if was for free ?

And one other thing, there is a business entity that can make money by shooting music videos, and it is called 'a label'. Sum 41 have realized quite a time ago that a band makes most of it's money on tours.

And why the fuck should I be thankful for a video that I do not like ? Just because it was released by Sum 41? I do have a different opinion, but you don't have to go all crazy because of that, it doesn't mean I hate the guys, I just no longer enjoy what they do. I have lost every little fiber of bias that I ever had for this band but I didn't loose interest in them, I still like their music. This happens to cause a problem here, because I no longer love everything they release.
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Hoocher
Bunkface

Post by Hoocher »

FuckT41182 wrote:
Hoocher wrote:Off topic: It really bugs me to see some of the comments here. I mean I know it's your constructive crtisism and your opinion and it might never change. Though, complaning that the video was to obvious and corny and that the concept is a the same as a shitty Tarantino movie, it's just plain wrong. You complain the band is in-active, not making videos. You were mad when the BYDWK video was just live footage. So now you're saying it was not worth the wait? They obviously don't think of the money they'll earn from this video or how many times it goes on MTV as it won't. They think about the fans how they want a music video which is actually from their newest album which was released almost 1.5 years ago. It has a storyline, it has actors and different sets, it's in high definition and it combines several tunes from some of their songs (SBM, Skumfuck, Pull the Curtain, Reason to believe intro/Back where I belong outro). Just be thankfull that there is a decent video which perhaps took a while to release it, though it was definitely worth the wait. The only thing I can bitch about if I'm being a real punctual asshole is the poor editing regarding Deryck's jacket. I mean you can see it on him for like 2 quick scenes and then it's off for the rest of the video. So why bother to even wear it on?

I might be wrong, but I think Simon was trying to say that the video looks like a bad attempt to resemble Tarantino's work, not that Tarantino's movies are 'shitty', although he might have that opinion about his movies.

And of course I appreciate that they weren't making this for the money, but if I took a piss in your mouth would you like it just because if was for free ?

And one other thing, there is a business entity that can make money by shooting music videos, and it is called 'a label'. Sum 41 have realized quite a time ago that a band makes most of it's money on tours.

And why the fuck should I be thankful for a video that I do not like ? Just because it was released by Sum 41? I do have a different opinion, but you don't have to go all crazy because of that, it doesn't mean I hate the guys, I just no longer enjoy what they do. I have lost every little fiber of bias that I ever had for this band but I didn't loose interest in them, I still like their music. This happens to cause a problem here, because I no longer love everything they release.
I never said that Tarantino's movies are shitty nor mentioned that Simon said so. All I've said was that, from what I understood, that it resembles to a Tarantino movie, but not a successful one, or in other words, a shitty one.

If you would have read everything, I said I'm not trying to pick a fight and I do understand and accept you have a different view on the video and the band's management. Though, again, it's like you're complaning you're hungry and then you eat and you complain you're full. No one is perfect, especially Sum 41 when it comes to do the promotions and music videos. I can't make you to be pleased with that, and I won't. I just want you to accept that this is the situation. For your "pee" example. I never said you should appriciate they're not making this for the money, I said you should appriciate they're not taking money in count and all they care about are the fans. We asked for a video, we suggested to make it all violent and bloody, and that's what we got. Don't forget that Deryck mentioned he's browsing the forums to understand what we like (EX: Extending the setlist, North american tour, adding oldschool songs and "never seen live" songs. They even took the suggestion of bringing What we're all about back in consideration). I don't go all crazy as you said, I'm just having a civilized debate.

I get your opinion and your frustraion. Again, I'm not forcing you to like anything or do anything. Just suggesting, be a little less pessimistic.

Oh, and thank you for even bothering to read my long post ;)
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Hoocher wrote:It's like you're complaning you're hungry and then you eat and you complain you're full.
Enough said.

Of course everyone can't love the video, and it's totally cool. I'd be more pissed if this place was full of Green Day -like fans, who love everything the band says or does. But remember, no one asked you to wait for this video. They used their own money to shoot one for the fans only. And I'm surprised that people are complaining about this video this much, after all it has a plot and is having much more thought put into it than their previous videos. I mean, Baby You Don't Wanna Know was just a compilation of footage on and off the stage, now we got a video with much more effort, and you're complaining?

It's OK to disagree, but to disagree and to complain are two different things, and I'm seeing the latter here way more than I'd want.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

TomiT14 wrote:I'd be more pissed if this place was full of Green Day -like fans, who love everything the band says or does.
Watch it, Mister.

And yeah, although I accept that not everybody can like video (especially one as ambitious as this), the least you can do is appreciate it. Like Linkin Park's fourth album A Thousand Suns - it's not my favourite album in the world, but I can really appreciate how much went into it and the extent to which the band went to try and experiment with both their sound and lyrical content. It just so happens that I both like and appreciate the Blood In My Eyes video, not just for being 'cool' or 'unique', but also for being a gesture from the band to the fans without any sort of personal benefit.

Anyway, I'm off to listen to more Green Day like the fag I am.
fuck this signature nonsense