Green Day

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

Re: Green Day

Post by Noreason757 »

so they previewed a couple songs on bbc radio 1, during a hilarious broadcast, once you hear some of these songs any doubts you have about the trilogy should be erased. you can listen to it on GDA

http://www.greendayauthority.com/news/3 ... qus_thread

heres one they played in full minus 7 seconds

and this was my favorite one but just a preview
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

the thing i don't like about this 3 album thing, is that they are being released two months apart. All the songs are recorded already, it may take an extra month to mix all of them together, the art work is probably already decided, why can't they release them all together? Uno will come out and it'll be $14 at stores, then that repeats two months later for Dos, and so on for Tre. it's genius from a marketing and corporate standpoint, but a complete money grab bullshit for fans who actually buy albums.

it doesn't matter to me, cause after being thoroughly let down with 21CB, im never buying another Green Day album again.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

The problem that I have with the music isn't that I'm expecting to hear a record full of hits that bring me back to the early 00's when I spun Green Day constantly, but that I'm expecting to hear something that is, at the very least, somewhat catchy and something I'd maybe put on my iPod. The problem is that all I'm hearing from these songs so far are bland, boring Green Day songs. Now, keep in mind that I haven't heard some of the songs you guys have heard because I don't feel like looking up YouTube videos of them playing songs live.... but from what I've heard (Oh Love, Kill The DJ, whatever that clip was from Angry Birds), Green Day has really fallen far from the band that released the clever lines and catchy punk rock music I am used to hearing.

You can say they aren't punk rock anymore, or something, that they are playing a new genre of music, who knows... at the end of the day, these songs are nothing to me without at least sounding like they tried to write a good song. As far as I have heard, I may have only heard 2, maybe 3 songs, but nothing is doing it for me. It's evident that I am not the only one who feels that way. I defended Green Day's decision to make 3 full albums, because I knew Green Day is a band capable of doing that... but so far, they just haven't packed the punch I'm looking for in any of the songs.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

I just listened to the full broadcast. Beyond the fact that the interview was hilarious, the songs previewed were brilliant. My favourites were Nuclear Family, Carpe Diem, and It's Fuck Time of course! Nightlife annoys me though.

I urge people who haven't enjoyed some of the so-far-released songs to listen to these.
fuck this signature nonsense
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

Gregor, it looks to me as though you are a very big fan of GD. Without any regards to they're fanbase, you support what this band is doing. However- I think it is because your forcing yourself to like it. Do any of these songs compare to ANYTHING they've done in the past? You can't honestly "compare" this with anything they've before! Okay, so its not an epic "Rock Opera"- who cares? It's not a story developed album- even that doesn't matter. What DOES matter- and what SHOULD matter, is how well developed music is.

Green Day is a band with so much more potential, and we all know this based their previous masterpieces!
The stuff they've been releasing is shit that they scraped together in 10 minutes and it's so obvious. Clearly GD is not ready to release an album trilogy based on what I've heard so far. They can't even think up lyrics to ANY of the choruses! The song's are like fucking Pokemon! Just saying their name! It's honestly stupid.The whole Angry Birds gimmick, The Radio-Friendly singles, the WHOLE TRILOGY it just all the result of GD selling out.

Gregor, if the whole trilogy sounds like the singles we heard are you gonna go out and buy all the albums?! If you are then your just a GD fanboy who doesn't care what the band does musically, who worships anything they do. Even if it's absolute shit.
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

Gregorovich wrote:I just listened to the full broadcast. Beyond the fact that the interview was hilarious, the songs previewed were brilliant. My favourites were Nuclear Family, Carpe Diem, and It's Fuck Time of course! Nightlife annoys me though.

I urge people who haven't enjoyed some of the so-far-released songs to listen to these.
I'll listen to a new song whenever it is posted in here in studio quality, preferably not just clips.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
Noreason757
Hooch

Post by Noreason757 »

Trainwreck wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:I just listened to the full broadcast. Beyond the fact that the interview was hilarious, the songs previewed were brilliant. My favourites were Nuclear Family, Carpe Diem, and It's Fuck Time of course! Nightlife annoys me though.

I'll listen to a new song whenever it is posted in here in studio quality, preferably not just clips.
the one i posted "lady cobra" is the full studio version of the song just minus 7 seconds, its not a clip its the full thing :winkwink:
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

I think I liked at least 1 or 2 of those previews so that's good...
Last edited by Tyler. on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

cladam41 wrote:Gregor, it looks to me as though you are a very big fan of GD. Without any regards to they're fanbase, you support what this band is doing. However- I think it is because your forcing yourself to like it. Do any of these songs compare to ANYTHING they've done in the past? You can't honestly "compare" this with anything they've before! Okay, so its not an epic "Rock Opera"- who cares? It's not a story developed album- even that doesn't matter. What DOES matter- and what SHOULD matter, is how well developed music is.

Green Day is a band with so much more potential, and we all know this based their previous masterpieces!
The stuff they've been releasing is shit that they scraped together in 10 minutes and it's so obvious. Clearly GD is not ready to release an album trilogy based on what I've heard so far. They can't even think up lyrics to ANY of the choruses! The song's are like fucking Pokemon! Just saying their name! It's honestly stupid.The whole Angry Birds gimmick, The Radio-Friendly singles, the WHOLE TRILOGY it just all the result of GD selling out.

Gregor, if the whole trilogy sounds like the singles we heard are you gonna go out and buy all the albums?! If you are then your just a GD fanboy who doesn't care what the band does musically, who worships anything they do. Even if it's absolute shit.
You clearly didn't read one single word of my previous post.

EDIT: Updated the first post with links to all the songs for those who want to hear.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I haven't listened to all the links you posted, Gregor, but out of the ones I've listened to Nuclear Family and It's Fuck Time sound like they would be decent songs. I can't really judge because they were just bootleg videos, but they sounded alright.

The problem for me is that these songs don't have an identity or really any individualistic quality about them (I'd need to listen to the albums in full of course before making this assumption) but they just seem to blend together. I was never a huge Green Day fan from the start, which might be why I enjoyed American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown, but the songs on those albums were all pretty different from one another.

Listening to a bunch of clips and leaks of songs is also not really the best way for me to approach an album either. Everything is just mashed together, I don't know what songs are supposed to be on what album or which single is the first, second or third... it just becomes messy. For right now, the songs don't do anything for me besides maybe listening to it while I drive. I would have to have the full album from iTunes or something and listen to it beginning to end in order for me to truly judge.

That's the problem with garage rock though. You can only take it so far before it starts to sound the same. If you change it around it becomes a sub-genre of a sub-genre. I enjoy The Hives and aside from their third album, their sound hasn't changed a whole lot. They're just one of those bands that you can pop in their album and just enjoy. If that's Green Day's approach, then I can appreciate that. It would be nice to have a Green Day album that you can just throw in any time that you can rock out to without having to be in a specific mood. However, the only songs that seem to have that quality are Nuclear Family and It's Fuck Time.

On an unrelated note, are they releasing four singles off each album? I just looked at Gregor's first post with the links and there's four listed for ¡Uno! and at least two listed for each of the other albums. They're going to release a possible 12 singles in the course of a year? What?
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Jeremy Kill wrote:I haven't listened to all the links you posted, Gregor, but out of the ones I've listened to Nuclear Family and It's Fuck Time sound like they would be decent songs. I can't really judge because they were just bootleg videos, but they sounded alright.

The problem for me is that these songs don't have an identity or really any individualistic quality about them (I'd need to listen to the albums in full of course before making this assumption) but they just seem to blend together. I was never a huge Green Day fan from the start, which might be why I enjoyed American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown, but the songs on those albums were all pretty different from one another.

Listening to a bunch of clips and leaks of songs is also not really the best way for me to approach an album either. Everything is just mashed together, I don't know what songs are supposed to be on what album or which single is the first, second or third... it just becomes messy. For right now, the songs don't do anything for me besides maybe listening to it while I drive. I would have to have the full album from iTunes or something and listen to it beginning to end in order for me to truly judge.

That's the problem with garage rock though. You can only take it so far before it starts to sound the same. If you change it around it becomes a sub-genre of a sub-genre. I enjoy The Hives and aside from their third album, their sound hasn't changed a whole lot. They're just one of those bands that you can pop in their album and just enjoy. If that's Green Day's approach, then I can appreciate that. It would be nice to have a Green Day album that you can just throw in any time that you can rock out to without having to be in a specific mood. However, the only songs that seem to have that quality are Nuclear Family and It's Fuck Time.

On an unrelated note, are they releasing four singles off each album? I just looked at Gregor's first post with the links and there's four listed for ¡Uno! and at least two listed for each of the other albums. They're going to release a possible 12 singles in the course of a year? What?
I completely get what you mean about the Garage Rock thing, and I do think that's the kind of thing the band are going for on this one. But, like I said before, I wouldn't criticise the effort if you've only listened to a couple of songs off the first album.

In regards to the single thing, the original plan was to have one 'main' single off each album - Oh Love, It's Fuck Time and Stray Heart. However, iTunes listed Uno as having four singles each with videos available in the Deluxe Edition. Surely enough, Kill the DJ did come out shortly after as the next single, though in the UK only. So it remains to be seen if the following two 'iTunes singles' really are singles. But it is confirmed that there will be one main single off each album.

In other news, I just got a year's subscription to the Idiot Club free with the digital trilogy pre-order, so I actually have a chance to buy tickets for the upcoming Autumn UK tour before they go on sale to the public and sell out in minutes. I also checked out the Idiot Club forums, and I have to say that at times like these, I'm so grateful to everybody who helps maintain and improve TNS. You may think the community we have here isn't as good as it used to be, but it's still a damn sight better than any other online forum community I've come across. Sum 41 fans truly are the best fans!
Raku
Ma Poubelle
First name: Scott
PSN ID: MySummerJob
Instrument 1: Vocals
Last.fm Username: MySummerJob
Twitter: MySummerJob

Post by Raku »

In case anyone cares, here's a track by track for Uno:

http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog= ... &tb=1&pb=1
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Well, seems like the reviewer holds this album in high regard. The way he describes it seems about spot on the way I feel about the album so far.
Starting to spot a theme now: most of the tracks start with searing guitar chords, then in comes the frantic beat and we’re off. Chuck in a singalong chorus and you’ve got any given track on ‘¡Uno!’. It’s a simple formula but it works.
There’s some throwaway stuff on this album, for sure
I'm looking forward to the more "epic/garage rock" that's in store.
Noreason757
Hooch

Post by Noreason757 »

Awesome I was wondering what happened to last gang in town, now i know they just changed the name to rusty james, so i guess you could add a link of the bootleg version of last gang in town on to rusty james now in the first post.
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

After hearing those clips they played on radio I'm much more excited about this album! Just the fact that they're really doing different things! I mean listen to this for example:
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

samueeL wrote:After hearing those clips they played on radio I'm much more excited about this album! Just the fact that they're really doing different things! I mean listen to this for example:
What. The. Fuck. is that!?
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

blackhawk1105 wrote:
samueeL wrote:After hearing those clips they played on radio I'm much more excited about this album! Just the fact that they're really doing different things! I mean listen to this for example:
I've gotta admit. I hated that.
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

Gregorovich wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:
I wonder what they were smoking and/or drinking when they came up with that song!!!
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Sum41Ant27 wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:
I wonder what they were smoking and/or drinking when they came up with that song!!!
Seeing as Billie was on meth when he wrote Basket Case and Mike was on acid when he wrote Longview, my guess is a big fat Geoffrey.
Jeremy Kill
Green Day

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I actually didn't mind that at all. It's like a breath of fresh air; something totally different and totally out there.