Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter, Twilight.

Any book worms here?

Moderators: Janet, Gutter Dreams

FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter, Twilight.

Post by FuckT41182 »

In my opinion, these three are the most famous fiction works that are out there these days, it was also helped by the fact that all of them were put on film in the last 20 years.
So, I decided to read them all, to determine which one of the writers is a great figure, and which one is just a story with absolutely no artistic value.

I can't tell you honestly on the part of Twilight, cause I had to stop after the first chapter of it, because it was so gay that even a non-homophobic person like me had to start screaming how gay it was. I mean, I don't care about the story, I won't even touch that subject, but wtf, the book is so badly written that it looks like a diary of a 13-year-old.

But apart from that, Tolkien was the best, JK Rowling is very decent, Stephanie is probably stuck at the age of 13. Tolkien's style is difficult, I admit that, but once you get through it you will be astonished to the highest degree, the true art of story-telling. J.K. Rowling, in my opinion, took some inspiration from master Tolkien, which is nowhere near a bad thing in this case, cause she created original and magnificent book series, and she told the story in such a way that it was amazing.

The Hobbit was one of the greatest reads I have ever been through, to everyone who's been looking for a great book and haven't read The Hobbit yet, I would recommend it with all my soul. This is just my own subjective opinion, but you know it's right.
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
krivco
First name: Peter

Re: Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter, Twilight.

Post by krivco »

LORD OF THE RINGS rocks! a book and as like as a movie
Hoocher
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hoocher »

I personally loved JK more, though Suzan Collins of the Hunger Games also wrote really well. I've enjoyed the books way more than the movie.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Not only is tolkien the best writer out of them 3 , considering the movies also , Peter jackson is by far the best director out of all of them .
And I agree with you the Hobbit really is an amazing novel , and i'm very stoked to see the movie , even though people complain about the whole 48 fps thing .... i don't care , i'm gonna watch both versions for sure :)
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

The difference between tolkien and Jk Rowling? easy Harry Potter was originally written as a children book(doesn't mena it can be enjoyed by adults too).
I've read them both, well i've read Rowling in english and tolkien in spanish, I like the LOTR but when it comes to the potter saga, which is hands down my favourite saga, I cannot be impartial besides even though I like Tolkien's style sometimes I get bored with soooooo many descriptions.
As for twilight, meah the first book was ok, the others are crap,
jordidanen95
Bunkface
First name: jordi
Instrument 2: piano

Post by jordidanen95 »

i cant stand lord of the rings....tried to watch the movies several times....it's to long, and i think its boring.
harry potter will be in my heart till i die :P
and fuck twilight.

i haven't read any of the harry potter books cause its boring and way to long, and i have this condition....i can't focus on what i'm reading and it takes a lot of time for me, i just get a headache. i only go to the library in my school to sleep..true story :P
Last edited by jordidanen95 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

Ardi41 wrote:Not only is tolkien the best writer out of them 3 , considering the movies also , Peter jackson is by far the best director out of all of them .
And I agree with you the Hobbit really is an amazing novel , and i'm very stoked to see the movie , even though people complain about the whole 48 fps thing .... i don't care , i'm gonna watch both versions for sure :)
Yeah, Peter Jackson and his team are far better than the teams that the other movies were assigned to. I mean, at least out of HP books a good team would make 7 solid movies, unlike the shitty ones that we now have.

I hope that The Hobbit will be marked as a masterpiece along with the LOTR movies, the team is unchanged, so I hope they won't fuck it up.
jordidanen95 wrote:i cant stand lord of the rings....tried to watch the movies several times....it's to long, and i think its boring.
harry potter will be in my heart till i die :P
and fuck twilight.

i haven't read any of the harry potter books cause its boring and way to long, and i have this condition....i can't focus on what i'm reading and it takes a lot of time for me, i just get a headache.
Then you cannot judge something objectively, if you just mark something as boring you are prone to miss the entire point of the work. Also, I have never before heard of somebody calling LOTR movies boring, they are meaningful, have artistic value and are full of magnificent scenes, while Harry Potter movies are badly done and the scenes are many times over-done, or the opposite.
Druska wrote:The difference between tolkien and Jk Rowling? easy Harry Potter was originally written as a children book(doesn't mena it can be enjoyed by adults too).
I've read them both, well i've read Rowling in english and tolkien in spanish, I like the LOTR but when it comes to the potter saga, which is hands down my favourite saga, I cannot be impartial besides even though I like Tolkien's style sometimes I get bored with soooooo many descriptions.
As for twilight, meah the first book was ok, the others are crap,
Try reading it in English, it's amazing, it's amazing how you can get who is saying the line that you're reading without being told by Tolkien. Especially the scenes with Frodo and Sam.

I myself have been a great fan of Harry Potter for my entire life, the books were with me through my childhood and I love them, but after reading Tolkien I gotta admit that he was the greater writer, his skill almost cannot be measured, imho.
Last edited by FuckT41182 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

I'm not entirely sure these are easy to compare with each other. They all capture quite different kinds of people. Harry Potter & Twilight both take the 13 y/o girl demographic, however.

As for Peter Jackson. A good director he may be but he is also a cunt.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Meh, I prefer Kelley Armstrong.
[donate][/donate]
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

Leave out the stories, I'm talking about the craft of writing, the structure and shiz. And it is true that also Harry Potter tends to be loved by 13 year old girls, but at least they will not regret reading it when they grow up.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

! wrote:As for Peter Jackson. A good director he may be but he is also a cunt.
why's that ?
Jake
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jake »

Ardi41 wrote:
why's that ?
He's going round suing anything with "Hobbit" in the name. A bar here was almost closed because of him >.>
Boni Boy Blue wrote:Meh, I prefer Kelley Armstrong.
Darkest Powers? Only read the 1st, but it was goooood.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Boni
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Boni »

! wrote:
Ardi41 wrote:
why's that ?
He's going round suing anything with "Hobbit" in the name. A bar here was almost closed because of him >.>
Boni Boy Blue wrote:Meh, I prefer Kelley Armstrong.
Darkest Powers? Only read the 1st, but it was goooood.
Yup, that's the one.
[donate][/donate]
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

! wrote:He's going round suing anything with "Hobbit" in the name. A bar here was almost closed because of him >.>
You mean Saul Zaentz, the guy who actually owns the worldwide film, stage, and merchandise rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings? Yeah, he's an ass.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

In terms of storytelling, I prefer JK (re-read all the HP book over last summer and LOVED them ^^), but Tolkien obviously has the greater writing craft (even though I really don't like the plot or world of LOTR). Needless to say I hate everything about Twilight.

To be honest, you shouldn't be reading fantasy books if you're looking for writing craft. Get some Tolstoy in there for the die-hards.
fuck this signature nonsense
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

I got War And Peace on the shelf already, it's waiting for me to finish Bourne Supremacy, The Dark Tower I, Journey To The Centre Of The Earth and Beyond Band Of Brothers written by the veteran Dick Winters.

I don't think that a fantasy book can't be good enough in quality to compete with other books, at least I am quite convinced that Tolkien could compete with any writer.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Boni »

I prefer fantasy in general. For me, it's more interesting.
[donate][/donate]
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Tolkien hands down, everything about those books are so structured because he made that entire world and wrote out it's history ever since the beginning of times which means that everything has it's own explanation. Rowling is okay, but the HP books are for me largely ruined by the extremely cheesy ending of the last book, that ending belonged in an american tv-show, also the fact how she so obviously ripped of the Nazgûls for the dementors and the locket as the horcrux. That along with alot of logical loopholes, like how did they get to Hogwarts before the mugglers invented the locomotive and why don't they use one of their own devices?

As for Peter Jackson, he destroyed so many characters in the movie (Faramir, Denethor, Gimli, Legolas, hell, even Aragorn) I'm scared for what he might do with Hobbit, I wouldn't be surprised he kills Smaug by having Legolas firing an arrow in his ass.
Jake
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jake »

Emil wrote:Tolkien hands down, everything about those books are so structured because he made that entire world and wrote out it's history ever since the beginning of times which means that everything has it's own explanation.
I think in terms of writing quality, a good fantasy is miles ahead of the best of other genres because of this. IMO you just don't get such gripping characters etc from anything else.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Yeah not ever one knows this but Arwen and Aragorn are related. And not in some vague way either but almost full blown incest way.