The Gaslight Anthem

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Re: Gaslight Anthem

Post by Druska »

Bobbyjames wrote:The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records.
hope that menas they're gonna play around here
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

Druska wrote:
theyrenevergoingtoplayherebuttheyredoingacanadiantoursoimstillexcited

no one ever comes here.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

Last edited by Dylan on Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Druska
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Druska »

Gutter Dreams wrote:
Druska wrote:
theyrenevergoingtoplayherebuttheyredoingacanadiantoursoimstillexcited

no one ever comes here.
you know what's worst theyd did play in Barcelona a few months ago, and I missed it cos i didn't know
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

fuck me, The Revival Tour was so fucking good. best gig of the year by far. it was non stop music for like 3 and a half hours.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Dylan »

http://music.aol.ca/new-releases-full-cds/spinner#/1

new itunes session EP streaming here. one new song, an alternate version of Boxer and four covers. what you can't hear is the itunes pre order bonus of a re-recording of The Navesink Banks.

i believe the EP is out on itunes tomorrow in the States, but not till December in Canada :(

EDIT: i stand corrected, it just became available on itunes. the cover of Baba O'Riley is awesome.
Last edited by Dylan on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me on Twitter!
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten Interview - Kerrang!

Post by Boni »

Just an note, Handwritten is the name of Gaslight's new album.

Having hidden themselves away in a studio in the deepest Tennessee. The Gaslight Anthem have emerged bleary eyed into the daylight having completed work on their fourth album. The record - titled Handwritten - marks a return for the New Jersey boys following 2010's American Slang, and is the band's first release since signing a major label deal with Mercury Records. But, as Kerrang! found out when we dropped by to catch up with frontman Brain Fallon, the expectation isn't going to distract them from delivering their most incredible album yet. And neither will the famous Tennessee nightlife...

This is your first record since signing to a major label. How's everything going?
Brain Fallon: "It's gone really well. Really well, actually. We've moved along much faster than I think anyone expected. It's funny, because we didn't know what to expect of recording a 'major label' record. I've never been in a big studio or made a big record where you have all the time in the world. I didn't know how major label records worked! I didn't know if you had to sing, like, a hundread time to get it right. You'd don't apparently."

You've been recording in Nashville, Tennessee too. Which is something different for you guys. How's that been?
"It's been cool. First of all, there was nobody we knew which was great. there was nobody popping in the studio everyday being like, 'What's going on, bro?'. And there were musicians everywhere. It was a real buzz. Like, you could go out on any given night of the week and see literally the best blues guitar player you've ever heard. Thee's a couple of venues down the street that always have shows coming through. the city is electric. It's incredible."

How has the whole experience affected the songs you've recorded?
"The songs have definitely had the fat trimmed off them. when you move from an indie label to a major one, you wonder whether everybody expects you to step it up and write your best songs. When you grow in the punk rock scene, everyone tells you these crazy rumours, like somebody ruined The Replacements or whatever. No one [from the label] was in here saying, 'Guys, we want The 59' Sound but more commercial. We're the only guys who can ruin our band."

What's been a typical day in the studio for The Gaslight Anthem?
"Quite relaxed. We'd start at noon, and all get in a room together and play. It was really cool. Everybody would be jumping around and someone would be like 'I've got an idea', and throw it down. We were constantly recording, which was awesome. On a lot of our other albums, we'd do the drums, and then the bass for every single song, so by the time you got to the eighth song on bass on your sixth day, you'd be like, 'I hate bass guitar!'. But this time we were always working on something new, completely on the spot. We had this one song that I brought in and said, 'Is this song stupid? Or is this cool?', and everybody was like. 'Oh my god, that's best thing we've got'."

How much had you written beforehand? And what can we expect if the songs?
"We came in with 15 songs. 15 done songs that were good. we actually ended up recording one song that we didn't like. We heard it back on the speakers and were just like, 'This song isn't as exciting as everything else'. So we cut it. There's punk songs on there, and they're more punk than our last record. There's two songs that are fast - like, really fast, big chorus and super fast verse and that's it - and there's bluesy tracks. We've taken everything we do and gone to 10 with it."

You've welcomed Ian Perkins, from your side-project The Horrible Crowes, into the recording of this album. How has that been?
"This is his first recording experience with us. We wrote all of our songs and he came in at the end to learn stuff. It ended up us saying. 'That sounds okay but what have you got?'. So he came up with his own parts, and that fleshed out the sound more. And he got to do his own thing too, which was cool. But I wouldn't say that it's done anything besides broaden the sound, because we had a pretty solid thing going on between the four of us [before]. When you put in another person there's two things that can happen - they can either influence you or you can influence them. And the thing that we have together, the four of us, is so strong that Ian got influenced by that."

You've said previously that you never really enjoyed recording your last album, American Slang. Are you having fun with this one?
"There was a certain pressure with American Slang. I was going on this unnecessary head trip on my end, trying to deal with, 'Why does everybody like my band?'. But once I got past that, I realised that, 'Oh, people like my band because I was enjoying what I do. They like me for what I'm doing, they don't need to do something for them because they already like what I'm doing'. And now that that's gone, it's just been easier. And Brendan [O'Brien, producer] is a dude who runs on 10 all the time. He's just so excited all the time, so it's easy to work with a who's like that and truly wants us to make a great record. This is definitely the Gaslight Anthem record that I would want next, if I were a fan. American was cool, but this sounds like a band who has plugged back in the electrical socket again."

Handwritten will be released in the summer through Vertigo/Mercury Records. For more information, see www.gaslightanthem.com
[donate][/donate]
Jables
Chuck
First name: Jables
360 Gamer Tag: The Sinful Baby
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Bouzouki

Re: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten Interview - Kerrang!

Post by Jables »

Can't wait for this, if Biloxi Parish is anything to go by, then this should be quite an epic album :glad:
Gutter Dreams

Post by Gutter Dreams »

YAYAYAY [fangirling over] I cannot wait for the new album. By the looks of things, it seems like it's going to be a great record.
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction
First name: Ed
Instrument 3: Mississipi Saxophone

Post by MetalMilitant41 »

I love these guys so much right now. I really hope this record will be great and make my summer.

I'm Mitchell's Noob aka blackhawk1105! Hehe
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Great interview! I have to say, I wasn't overly in love with American Slang. Nice to know Brian kind of felt the same way when he wrote it. I'm excited for this one though, especially the "punk-ier" songs.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Great interview! I have to say, I wasn't overly in love with American Slang. Nice to know Brian kind of felt the same way when he wrote it. I'm excited for this one though, especially the "punk-ier" songs.
I think my problem with American Slang was that it had the bluesier/soulier/whatever songs but really lacked songs like High Lonesome, The 59' Sound, Meet Me By The Rivers Edge and Miles Davis.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Emil wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:Great interview! I have to say, I wasn't overly in love with American Slang. Nice to know Brian kind of felt the same way when he wrote it. I'm excited for this one though, especially the "punk-ier" songs.
I think my problem with American Slang was that it had the bluesier/soulier/whatever songs but really lacked songs like High Lonesome, The 59' Sound, Meet Me By The Rivers Edge and Miles Davis.
American Slang is what I have in the car. It's a good album for driving.
[donate][/donate]
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:
Emil wrote:
American Slang is what I have in the car. It's a good album for driving.
I really think The '59 Sound is better for that, or Sink Or Swim if your driving at night. They have alot of "drive away" themed songs.
Jables
Chuck

Post by Jables »

I honestly love every song they have ever done to little bitty bit bits, nearly all of them bring back lovely memories and make me feel like it's Summertime even when it's pissing down outside :glad:
Druska
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Druska »

Emil wrote:
I love American Slang, it's a good album to listen on my way to barcelona, a 2h ride is the perfect time for music
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I think their music in general is really good for driving. I never gave the chance for American Slang to sink in either. I mean, I haven't actually listened to it since the year of its release.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

The Gaslight Anthem

Post by Dylan »

There's still no release date for TGA's new album, though it's safe to say that sometime this summer we'll get a full album. HOWEVER, they will be releasing the lead single "45", on monday. Well... actually thats just when its gonna be played on BBC Radio 1. They're also releasing a 7" single featuring "45" and another song "You Got Lucky" on May 22nd.

Listen to a 30 second clip of "45" here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Y5W3KE/ref ... CN1A2162Z0

excuse me while i change my pants...

Follow me on Twitter!
Jables
Chuck

Re: Gaslight Anthem - "Handwritten" and "45"

Post by Jables »

I heard about this yesterday and I was ecstatically overjoyed, after hearing this, I don't think they have a word for how I'm feeling :glad: I just love them so very very much
Gutter Dreams

Re: Gaslight Anthem - "Handwritten" and "45"

Post by Gutter Dreams »

DO YOU GUYS UNDERSTAND HOW EXCITED I AM?! I'm not crying I swear