Audacity acting weird

Calling all nerds! Talk tech in this forum.

Moderator: Boni

TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Audacity acting weird

Post by TomiT14 »

So, I've been using Audacity to discover the content of the audio files for fun.
When opening a stereo file, it shows two tracks, one for left and one for right speaker.

Well, now after opening some stereo files, Audacity shows the file as mono.
For example, I was looking at The Hell Song, which I had ripped from the CD about 4 months ago. (I re-ripped all my CDs using highest quality settings back in November). All music players, including WinAmp, iTunes, WMP, show the file being Stereo, but Audacity shows the track as Mono. And it's the same for many albums I've ripped.

So to sum up, when ripping the CDs back in November, everything seemed OK with Audacity. Now, 4 months later about 75% of my rippings show up as being Mono in Audacity, while they are Stereo in media players as they should.

Why this bothers me? I use Audacity to edit the audio, for purposes like making ringtones and such. If the original file is Mono, it's harder to create a Stereo file.

Not so clearly explained, but hope you got what I meant. Anyone else experiencing the same?
I use Audacity version 1.2.6.
X^2
Billy Spleen

Re: Audacity acting weird

Post by X^2 »

Does it still play the files as stereo, or does it turn them in to mono? Anyhow, i just suggest that you try reinstalling audacity.
It's such a small program it takes you about a minute to do that. (Though i suppose you have already tried this)
Faeyaner
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Guitar

Re: Audacity acting weird

Post by Faeyaner »

I just had one strange problem with audacity this weekend:
Every DTLI-file was shown as a ~14min long undefined sound after I realised that it was slowd down to like 500%. After I corrected that pretty much all the treble was gone. Every other audio file is fine and I can't see any difference in the ones from DTLI :confusion:
have a try and test your knowledge:
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz33/quiz/ ... um-41-test
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...