Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Nirvana41
First name: Michal
Instrument 1: Electric guitar
Instrument 2: Acoustic guitar
Instrument 3: Bass Guitar
Last.fm Username: Nirvana41

Re: Am I the only one who dosent like SBM?

Post by Nirvana41 »

Thats my problem with the album. It's really good but almost every song goes slow and soft after a while and the transition really isnt that good. It feels out of place, most of those parts are pure filler.
Gebirgskuchen
First name: Daniel
Instrument 1: Vocals
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Guitar

Post by Gebirgskuchen »

Exactly my words! :happy:

Most of the songs have so cool hard riffs and catchy moments, but when it comes to the soft parts you are literally thrown out of the flow. Especially in Happiness Machines, the beginning and verse are so hard and good, and then it comes to this fucking bridge and chorus with the stupid piano and the kindergarden voice of Deryck, which just gives the whole song a soft character, the song actually shouldn't have.

Btw putting the 12 minutes song into 3 parts is the worst mistake, which could've done...
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Jake-41 wrote:You are a fucking piece of stool if you don't like What Am I Say?

Not to push my opinions, but if you like Sum 41 you have to LOVE this song..
A piece of stool!
i lol'd

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
ScottEdmondson41
First name: Scott

Post by ScottEdmondson41 »

Gebirgskuchen wrote:Exactly my words! :happy:

Especially in Happiness Machines, the beginning and verse are so hard and good, and then it comes to this fucking bridge and chorus with the stupid piano and the kindergarden voice of Deryck, which just gives the whole song a soft character, the song actually shouldn't have.
stfu, well jk but seriously I LOVE the chorus part in Happiness Machine. I literally had that and only that part stuck in my head all day at school today over any other part of the album and it was awesome. It's one of my favorite songs on the album and it would not be nearly the same awesomeness for me if that part wasn't there
Gebirgskuchen

Post by Gebirgskuchen »

That's fine for you! :happy:
This chorus was stuck in your head because it's catchy...and as Stevo32 ones said:"As long as it's catchy, kids dont give a f***".
But for me personally, it should've ended up in another song, with the same character as the chorus.
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

I disagree with regard to the twelve minute song. People should have a choice on whether to opt out after one or two, or to listen to it in parts - it would be a fairly heavy listen all the way through!

And as for the heavy/soft parts: I think they form a perfect contrast. It's a really dynamic album, and part of that is because all the mixtures were pulled off so well IMO

Still loving this shit
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by HugoDisasters »

fergal41 wrote:I disagree with regard to the twelve minute song. People should have a choice on whether to opt out after one or two, or to listen to it in parts - it would be a fairly heavy listen all the way through!

And as for the heavy/soft parts: I think they form a perfect contrast. It's a really dynamic album, and part of that is because all the mixtures were pulled off so well IMO

Still loving this shit
This.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
ScottEdmondson41

Post by ScottEdmondson41 »

Gebirgskuchen wrote:That's fine for you! :happy:
This chorus was stuck in your head because it's catchy...and as Stevo32 ones said:"As long as it's catchy, kids dont give a f***".
But for me personally, it should've ended up in another song, with the same character as the chorus.
okay welll that was just a little short anecdote that's not why I love it.in fact I generally don't like things if they don't have other good stuff going for them besides being really catchy. It's all matter of preferences but I personally in my opinion love it where it is. I mainly love the lyrics and I love the overall feeling that it contributes to for me
Gebirgskuchen

Post by Gebirgskuchen »

fergal41 wrote:And as for the heavy/soft parts: I think they form a perfect contrast. It's a really dynamic album, and part of that is because all the mixtures were pulled off so well IMO
Sry I disagree! :devious:
In my opinion creating contrasts is the best thing, you can musically do. The best Sum 41 example is and will ever be We're all to blame. The chorus represented the perfect contrast to the verses WITHOUT losing the flow. But in this album, the flow is often disrupted by the slow parts.

...but nevertheless it's all a question of taste :winkwink:

Thank God the whole album is million times better than UH!
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

Gebirgskuchen? Holy shit, which cave did you come out of all of a sudden. Feels like it's been years since I've read your username.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

I would probably make SBM my favorite record tied with Does This Look Infected?

It doesn't really have any "filler" to it besides one or two songs. That last record that was like that for me was DTLI.

If the record didn't have a lot of the synthesizer things at the beginning and end of some of the songs then I don't think it would have been as good. That keeps dark theme to the album.
ajbkid
First name: Anthony

Post by ajbkid »

well, after listening to the album for most of last night and all of today, i think it has grown on me alot. I decided i will buy it tuesday. but i still dont like "time for you to go" and "baby you dont wanna know". they are my 2 least favorite Sum songs.
I dont think it their best album, but it is a GREAT one. I kinda knew it was great all along, but i just didnt know what to think because it wasnt what i was expecting. i just needed time to listen to it and figure it all out.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

ajbkid wrote:well, after listening to the album for most of last night and all of today, i think it has grown on me alot. I decided i will buy it tuesday. but i still dont like "time for you to go" and "baby you dont wanna know". they are my 2 least favorite Sum songs.
I dont think it their best album, but it is a GREAT one. I kinda knew it was great all along, but i just didnt know what to think because it wasnt what i was expecting. i just needed time to listen to it and figure it all out.
It won't be until the next album that you'll fully appreciate what the one before it had to offer. The same happened to me with Chuck and Underclass Hero.

Granted, except for a couple of songs, I may never listen to Underclass Hero again. I'm just a fan of the band's heavier stuff.
Raku
Ma Poubelle
PSN ID: MySummerJob
Last.fm Username: MySummerJob
Twitter: MySummerJob

Post by Raku »

Jeremy Kill wrote: Granted, except for a couple of songs, I may never listen to Underclass Hero again. I'm just a fan of the band's heavier stuff.
I listen to everything, even if I don't like a song/album that much.
JDM13
First name: Jack

Post by JDM13 »

idk if it's just me, but the 12 minute song just seems too forced on. happiness machine just doesn't seem to fit in with the whole of it. but hey thats just me :winkwink:
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

JDM13 wrote:idk if it's just me, but the 12 minute song just seems too forced on. happiness machine just doesn't seem to fit in with the whole of it. but hey thats just me :winkwink:
Why exactly do you say that?
JDM13

Post by JDM13 »

Resident Skumfuk wrote:
JDM13 wrote:idk if it's just me, but the 12 minute song just seems too forced on. happiness machine just doesn't seem to fit in with the whole of it. but hey thats just me :winkwink:
sick of everyone just seems to be the end of the song for me. the riff at the end just gives me the feeling of an outro for the song. and the happiness machine just seems to be another song. it doesn't really flow through well for me. just seems like different songs put together.
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

JDM13 wrote:
Resident Skumfuk wrote:
sick of everyone just seems to be the end of the song for me. the riff at the end just gives me the feeling of an outro for the song. and the happiness machine just seems to be another song. it doesn't really flow through well for me. just seems like different songs put together.
Hmm. Well if you listen to the lyrics they tie it all up, nice and pretty for you :winkwink:
Last edited by Resident Skumfuk on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JDM13

Post by JDM13 »

Resident Skumfuk wrote:
JDM13 wrote:
Resident Skumfuk wrote:
Hmm. Well if you listen to the lyrics they tie it all up, nice and pretty for you :winkwink:

still doesn't take away the fact that they don't really flow into each other. greendays last 2 albums lyrically tied up each other, does that mean its a 40 minute or whatever song?
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

JDM13 wrote:
Resident Skumfuk wrote:
JDM13 wrote:
Resident Skumfuk wrote:

still doesn't take away the fact that they don't really flow into each other. greendays last 2 albums lyrically tied up each other, does that mean its a 40 minute or whatever song?
Solid point. I guess I feel like the three songs fit nicely and transition without any problems, musically, and the lyrics are the final touch. But thats the beauty in music I guess,, It's all subjective.
Last edited by Resident Skumfuk on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.