Sum 41 / SBM discussion

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Re: "Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by FuckT41182 »

blackhawk1105 wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:
Tyler. wrote:just a quick question,

lots of people voted Reason to Believe in the looking forward to topic. it seems kind of weird because imo the track title is one of the most boring. Did we hear a section that we know if Reason to Believe in one of the album production videos? and that's why everyones looking forward to it heaps?
Chuck demo song,what else do you need ??
SBM in my hands, right now
I need SBM on my hands,I am a psychopath
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

FuckT41182 wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:

lots of people voted Reason to Believe in the looking forward to topic. it seems kind of weird because imo the track title is one of the most boring. Did we hear a section that we know if Reason to Believe in one of the album production videos? and that's why everyones looking forward to it heaps?
you definitely are
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

blackhawk1105 wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:

you definitely are
where,if you believe it or not,in this world there are people that are so fetishist that they would be happy to let you kill them drastically...

who would be a bigger psychopath in your eyes ??
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer

Post by Mitchell »

FuckT41182 wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:

you definitely are
where,if you believe it or not,in this world there are people that are so fetishist that they would be happy to let you kill them drastically...

After a good 10 minutes of thinking.. I'm going for you
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

blackhawk1105 wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:

you definitely are

After a good 10 minutes of thinking.. I'm going for you
I thought your mind worked faster
Kuesel10
First name: Nick

Post by Kuesel10 »

btw
a new biography of sum 41 is now on facebook (I don't know if this has been posted before):

Sum 41’s career has been filled with highlights that extend well beyond the traditional ‘punk‘ band. They’ve collaborated with Iggy Pop, Ludacris, Tommy Lee, Rob Haldford, and Tenacious D, and were invited to tour with heavy metal legends Motley Crue when they reunited. They were shockingly close to death when they visited war-torn Congo, and Deryck Whibley was almost deported for his political views in 2007. Not to mention, they’ve sold over 12 million albums and toured the globe countless times.

Since their inception in 1996, Sum 41 has been relentless, unapologetic, and unconcerned with musical boundaries. In the past, their music style has been described as an “eclectic meld of raucous punk-rock, thunderous heavy metal and straightforward rock.” Sum 41’s new album, Screaming Bloody Murder, feeds off this past and expands on it.

They have recently been labeled as one of the world’s best live bands. Whibley says he’s not concerned with these labels, but “all we’ve ever tried to do is play better live. Its what makes us a band. At times, everything else is bullshit. Touring is something we constantly work on, and over 12 years we have continued to improve.”

Sum 41 has also been unapologetic about their life-style off the stage. “We’re best-friends, we love to play music. And we also happen to be idiots. This hasn’t changed since high-school,” says drummer Stevo 32. “Rock music has a long history of partying. We are no different,” quips Whibley.

WIth track titles like: ‘Blood in My Eyes’, ‘Jessica Kill’, ‘Holy Image of Lies’ and ‘Happiness Machines’, Screaming Bloody Murder is an evolution of the band’s metal and punk-rock influence, but continues to blend musical styles as they have done in the past.

Bassist Cone McCaslin feels “like we really reached a new level with this one. Its definitely my favorite Sum 41 album. Musically, this album has pushed way beyond anything we have ever done. I can’t wait for fans to hear this album. I can’t wait to play this album live.”
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Sum 41 Bio wrote:They have recently been labeled as one of the world’s best live bands.
Booya! In your face!
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer

Post by Mitchell »

I like it..
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

the only think Sum 41 shows lack is more songs ...show is fucking great,but I would really like to hear more than 15 songs :P

Slovak band of ours managed to play 30 songs on their tour,first fucking tour after 8 yeaaaars :)
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

FuckT41182 wrote:the only think Sum 41 shows lack is more songs ...show is fucking great,but I would really like to hear more than 15 songs :P

Slovak band of ours managed to play 30 songs on their tour,first fucking tour after 8 yeaaaars :)
Yeah, that's true. They used to play 20-22 songs during DTLI and Chuck eras. 5-10 more songs to the current setlist and the show would be beyond epic.
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

i thought i saw a setlist before i went to my show from not even a month before that had like 22 songs on it? like during february this year
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Tyler. wrote:i thought i saw a setlist before i went to my show from not even a month before that had like 22 songs on it? like during february this year
The show in London, UK had 20 songs, probably the longest show since GCY era.
Faeyaner
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Faeyaner »

Kuesel10 wrote:[...] they’ve sold over 12 million albums and toured the globe countless times.
[...]
So is this the real amount? Cause german wikipedia says 8mio, and some english (or other language, don't really know anymore) wikipedia sites speak of 16mio. :confusion:
have a try and test your knowledge:
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz33/quiz/ ... um-41-test
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Faeyaner wrote:
Kuesel10 wrote:[...] they’ve sold over 12 million albums and toured the globe countless times.
[...]
So is this the real amount? Cause german wikipedia says 8mio, and some english (or other language, don't really know anymore) wikipedia sites speak of 16mio. :confusion:
Wikipedia vs. Sum 41's Facebook, run by the label and the band itself.
Who would you trust?

Sometime around the release of Chuck the count was at 7 million. So 12 million sounds realistic to me.
sum54184
Bunkface
First name: Hisham

Post by sum54184 »

TomiT14 wrote:
Faeyaner wrote:
[...]
Wikipedia vs. Sum 41's Facebook, run by the label and the band itself.
Who would you trust?

Sometime around the release of Chuck the count was at 7 million. So 12 million sounds realistic to me.
i think 12 million is good
It just a sad song
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

.fi wikipedia says that they've sold over 40 million albums. I trust that.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

they've sold more albums than AC/DC.
Faeyaner
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Faeyaner »

samueeL wrote:.fi wikipedia says that they've sold over 40 million albums. I trust that.
By the amount of Japanese people this sounds realistic. I read that number a time ago and was just like:
man, that's just :2cool4u:
have a try and test your knowledge:
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz33/quiz/ ... um-41-test
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

interview with Cone from ultimate-guitar:
Spoiler: show
After spending nearly all of last year on the road, including their 4th headlining run on the 2010 Vans Warped Tour, Sum 41 are preparing to release their most long-awaited new studio album of their career Screaming Bloody Murder. The new album, which opens up a second decade for Sum 41, marks the first album to be fully self-produced by Sum 41’s Deryck Whibley. The two-time JUNO Award-winning Canadian band also recently officially added guitarist Tom Thacker to the band’s lineup.

Screaming Bloody Murder follows 2007’s Underclass Hero, and is a return to the group’s more aggressive, heavier roots of their earlier albums. While the group were in Australia recently for the annual Soundwave festival (which saw the group cancel several shows due to Whibley falling ill), Sum 41 bassist Cone McCaslin sat down with Joe Matera to discuss the new album.

UG: The new album is a lot heavier and darker than the previous record and there is a certain aggression permeating it. Did that stem a lot from Deryck having gone through the pain of divorce in his personal life?

Cone McCaslin: I don’t know how he got to that place, but maybe it was from what was going on in his life as it was a dark period for him.

Was it a conscious effort to mine those darker elements during the songwriting process?

It was never premeditated as to what, if any, direction we were going to go for this album. It is literally what came out of us. It is very much a guitar driven album. But I think its natural, as we didn’t really think about it much or sat down to decide that we needed to make a heavier album or a darker album. It was just that these are really natural songs that came out of Deryck.

You mentioned its very guitar driven, which I agree, and to me it really has a lot of those elements found on Chuck.

Yeah it’s a really heavily aggressive album, a lot more aggressive than the last album for sure. I think our fans will really like it as they like that kind of stuff. Over the past four years, we’ve been noticing all our hardcore fans are really into Chuck and Does This Look Infected? and all those things on the heavier side. So I think it is good that we went this way ‘cause they really like it.

Gil Norton produced the early sessions but then Deryck took over the production reigns?

Yeah we interviewed so many different producers as we really wanted a producer on this album, but it was just that a lot of them weren’t going to work out, or schedule wise, it wasn’t going to work out. Gil, we really liked, but the thing about our band is, and it’s bad to say this, but we’re stuck in our own process of doing things now that we’ve been recording for so long. Gil has his own process and he has done a lot of great records, which was why we wanted him in the first place, as we loved all the stuff he has done. But the two processes sort of collided and so it didn’t work together. We did pre-production with him as well as the drums and then Deryck took over and finished the rest of the album.

"This album is literally what came out of us. It is very much a guitar driven album. But I think its natural."
When we last spoke, you mentioned you had about six songs left over from the last record Underclass Hero, were they used for this record?
Not really. The only thing that came from other sessions was the drum intro on the first track – ‘Reason To Believe’ - that is actually a drum beat that we had from Chuck and that is really the only thing. There are a lot of songs on this album. There were so many songs that we had for this new album, that the ones that didn’t get used, we would pull parts from and stick them in songs on this album. Like a cool riff or something. For example the track, ‘Blood In My Eyes’, the little bass thing that happens in the middle, we took that from another song and put it in that one.

With so much material, are you planning to maybe using them for a bonus EP or something in future?

Yeah and we did record extra songs. Like for countries outside of the US and Canada, there are going to be bonus tracks on the albums. And you always have to have stuff available in case someone needs a track for a soundtrack or something. So we have songs like that kicking around.

Let’s chat about the bass gear you used on this album?

I used the same bass that I have used since the beginning, which is a 1962 reissue Fender Precision that I bought in 2000 when we were doing All Killer, No Filler with Jerry Finn, who got me to buy it as he had one and was like, ‘you’ve got to buy one’. It’s a cool bass and I used it on the road for about two years but I loved it so much and the sound of it that I took it off the road, and now it is strictly used for the studio. Both Deryck and I have these awesome tube D-I boxes called the Evil Twins which were only made for a few years by this guy in California, he made like about 1500 of them. You can find them on EBay every once in awhile, and that is where we found ours. I also used a SansAmp and a SVT Ampeg, the anniversary edition. I also used different basses for different parts, like I recorded a whole song on the ’62 but then for a breakdown like in ‘Holy Image Of Lies’, I used a Hofner.

What about live?

Live, I actually use a 1959 reissue Fender Precision. I find that the difference between the ’59 and ’62 is that the ’59 is a little bit more, grittier. It gives me that top end grit which I like live, while the ’62 is not as grittier, but it’s little more rounded and bigger sounding, with much more low end.

You’re back to being a four piece again having brought in Tom Thacker on guitar. How did Tom come to be in Sum 41?

Tom is from a band - and still is - called Gob who are from Canada too. They brought us on tour in 1998 and then once we got signed, and went on to become a bit more successful, we took them on tour with us in the States. So we have known the guys for a long time now. When Dave quit, we were auditioning some guitar players and we thought of Tom. And he is also a lead singer of his band so he and Deryck both sing well. Tom didn’t actually play on this new album, as Deryck did all the guitars on this album, but Tom was there for pre-production and co-wrote the lead off single, ‘Screaming Bloody Murder’.

So what’s it like to be a fully functional four piece again?

It feels good, but we’ve always been a four piece, like on the last album we may have been a three piece, but live we’re a four piece band really. Tom is more involved now, like he does interviews with us, and he is in our videos, so it’s all good. And he is a really good musician. A lot of fans have their doubts because of Dave having been this metal guy, a total shredder, but Tom is actually a shredder too. He used to play metal when he was a teenager and so he can play all that stuff as well.

You have a side project The Operation M.D which recently released a new album.

Yeah the album is available on i-tunes. That project is something that I do with my friend Todd [Morse] who is in the band H2O. It started about eight years ago, though we only have made two albums so far. We just do it whenever our schedules allow it and have time to do it. We just write songs over the course of years and then get together in once in awhile, and we write it together and produce it ourselves. I have always written songs for Sum 41 but when they’re finished, they never sound like Sum 41 songs. So I have this catalog of songs and when Todd and I decide to do the project, we certainly have tons of material. And he even has lots of material too as well.

"We did record extra songs. Like for countries outside of the US and Canada, there are going to be bonus tracks on the albums."
You have also branched out into producing, so did you also lend a hand to Deryck when it came to this new record?
I didn’t want too many people in there doing the producing so once Gil was leaving, Deryck decided he could do it on his own production wise. I just really just had to play bass on the album and then I went home, Deryck did the guitars and the vocals. Deryck is well capable of doing that on his own. I really just like to produce in my spare time.

Do you see yourself in future taking that production route more?

I like to do more of it as that’s what I kind of like to do on my off time. And that kind of thing keeps falling into my lap. Like the last thing I did, I was ready to come out on tour but went and saw this seven piece bluegrass band that featured banjoes and violins and it was just like, ‘I have to do this’. The songs were so good but I wasn’t really looking for it, it just fell into my lap. So yes in the future, I’d probably get into it a lot more.

Have you got a home studio?

Yeah I have got a studio, enough to do guitars, bass and vocals but as for drums, I have to go somewhere else.

Do you see much of Dave Baksh since he left the band?

Yes but not often, he has another band right now and does his own thing, but I like to text him at least twice a year and we’re friendly. If I see him it is like ‘hey, hi Dave’, there is no issues with him with anybody in the band, but we don’t really hang out. Even when he was in the band, especially the last couple of years, it was kind of like that too.

What has the rest of 2011 got in store for Sum 41?

The album is out March 25th but we’ve been touring it since April last year really because it was supposed to come out at the end of summer but it just got pushed back, as we wanted to do more songs. And once it is out, we’re doing our world tour. And now that we had to cancel some of these Australian shows due to Deryck getting ill, we’ll definitely be
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/intervie ... album.html
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

2712 wrote:interview with Cone from ultimate-guitar:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/intervie ... album.html
When we last spoke, you mentioned you had about six songs left over from the last record Underclass Hero, were they used for this record?

Not really. The only thing that came from other sessions was the drum intro on the first track – ‘Reason To Believe’ - that is actually a drum beat that we had from Chuck and that is really the only thing. There are a lot of songs on this album. There were so many songs that we had for this new album, that the ones that didn’t get used, we would pull parts from and stick them in songs on this album. Like a cool riff or something. For example the track, ‘Blood In My Eyes’, the little bass thing that happens in the middle, we took that from another song and put it in that one.
Cool info. Also, six songs left over UH? We got 3 B-sides, so at least 3 songs we never heard? :sosad:
With so much material, are you planning to maybe using them for a bonus EP or something in future?

Yeah and we did record extra songs. Like for countries outside of the US and Canada, there are going to be bonus tracks on the albums. And you always have to have stuff available in case someone needs a track for a soundtrack or something. So we have songs like that kicking around.
Badass!