London Underworld 22nd Feb

All upcoming Sum 41 dates will be posted here. Post live reviews in here as well.

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

jaw knee jak
Bunkface

Re: London Underworld 22nd Feb

Post by jaw knee jak »

Zell1010 wrote:
Bobby 'The Rapist' James wrote:sounds like we missed out big time!
Definitely

Hopefully they play some form of festival this summer (Reading) and a smaller stage (Lock Up/Festival Republic)
I think theyll play reading for sure this year but I doubt it would be the lock up stage, I dont think there to Mike Davis friendly :( Festival repbublic stage is possible but to be honest I think it would be a middle slot on the main stage if they do play. I kinda miss the days when they were as popular as they were in 03
Zell1010
Billy Spleen
First name: Andy
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Zell1010 »

jaw knee jak wrote:
Zell1010 wrote:
Bobby 'The Rapist' James wrote:sounds like we missed out big time!
Definitely

Hopefully they play some form of festival this summer (Reading) and a smaller stage (Lock Up/Festival Republic)
I think theyll play reading for sure this year but I doubt it would be the lock up stage, I dont think there to Mike Davis friendly :( Festival repbublic stage is possible but to be honest I think it would be a middle slot on the main stage if they do play. I kinda miss the days when they were as popular as they were in 03
They really aren't that popular now in the UK, and arguably worldwide. Arguably their last big hit was Pieces.

We'll have to see how SBM does to be able to judge whereabouts they will play, if they do. FR is possible as Ash headlined that on the Saturday last year, and I would say they are comparable to Ash in terms of popularity (at least in my area)
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Didn't ask them about UK, but I'm pretty sure they'll come back here soon. It was really great, if ever you have the chance to go in a small venue, go for it, it's feels really different !
drummerlikestevo
Billy Spleen
First name: Lex

Post by drummerlikestevo »

this is a cool video, you can hear the crowd's louder than the sound system!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0SGNk13JiA
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by Hentaiman »

Haven't someone here said he asked the Sums recently about playing more older songs like No Brains and 88 and they said they're also planning on bringing back the whole 88, plus they might add No Brains every once in a while (like during Eastpak) plus more new songs, I think they'll have to drop lots of songs hehe, which on one hand sucks cuz the setlist now (like from this London show) is pertty fuckin' perfect (except maybe no No Brains/Makes No Difference/88), but on the other hand we all want new songs live when the album is out.

Also with In Too Deep.. on one hand, it's one of bigger hits and all and it's sad to hear it's one of the only songs that some people come to hear live and all.. but remember there was a time they totally dropped it from the set.. during the GCY tour, and you can totally understand why, cuz it definitely didn't fit crazy angry set they had back then which included mostly Chuck and DTLI songs. I think with SBM, In Too Deep also kinda seems out of place but then some crowds will be really dissapointed seeing them live while they're not playing ITD.

I also think that considering Skumfuk is the deepcut of SBM and almost didn't make it and shit.. they should replace it with another song from SBM the album is released. Considering there are songs they consider better than this and they only played it cuz it was already leaked and made popular on the web. I also woulnd't mind them dropping UH.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Hentaiman wrote:Haven't someone here said...
Damn, why am I always referred to as "someone"? :silly:
TomiT14 wrote:I told them I liked hearing them play No Reason and Mr. Amsterdam [at the soundcheck], since they haven't played them too often for a while. Cone said they are actually bringing those two back, along with 88 as a full. I was so excited to hear that, and told it's one of my favorites. I asked if they would play No Brains, where Cone said "oh yeah, we might play that one too sometime".
From my Paris thread.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

TomiT14 wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:I told them I liked hearing them play No Reason and Mr. Amsterdam [at the soundcheck], since they haven't played them too often for a while. Cone said they are actually bringing those two back, along with 88 as a full. I was so excited to hear that, and told it's one of my favorites. I asked if they would play No Brains, where Cone said "oh yeah, we might play that one too sometime".
From my Paris thread.
Haha, sorry, so many people here met the Sums recently and talked to them and all, that I can't remember already who got us what information from them hehe. Anyway, it'll be awesome if they'll bring back 88 in full!

Also, for people who were there at the London show? Is the setlist true? I think that if it's true it has to be the best set they played on this short European tour. I mean... both No Reason and Mr. Amsterdam (belivable actually), but both covers (Rebel Yell and American Girl) seems weird and unlikely, especially with American Girl appearing in the encore, before Fat Lip and P4P... kinda weird. Can someone confirm this?
drummerlikestevo
Billy Spleen

Hentaiman wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:
From my Paris thread.
Haha, sorry, so many people here met the Sums recently and talked to them and all, that I can't remember already who got us what information from them hehe. Anyway, it'll be awesome if they'll bring back 88 in full!

Also, for people who were there at the London show? Is the setlist true? I think that if it's true it has to be the best set they played on this short European tour. I mean... both No Reason and Mr. Amsterdam (belivable actually), but both covers (Rebel Yell and American Girl) seems weird and unlikely, especially with American Girl appearing in the encore, before Fat Lip and P4P... kinda weird. Can someone confirm this?
they played all those songs. but someone screwed the order up on setlist.fm. motivation wasn't after no reason, and american girl wasn't in the encore.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

drummerlikestevo wrote:
Hentaiman wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:
From my Paris thread.

they played all those songs. but someone screwed the order up on setlist.fm. motivation wasn't after no reason, and american girl wasn't in the encore.
Wow, then that was a really really awesome setlist if they actually played both covers and both No Reason and Mr. Amsterdam as well as all the regular setlist they always play. They could however replace one of the covers with Makes No Difference, but hell it's still a dreamy setlist . I bet it was loads of fun!
drummerlikestevo
Billy Spleen

Hentaiman wrote:
drummerlikestevo wrote:
Hentaiman wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:
From my Paris thread.

Wow, then that was a really really awesome setlist if they actually played both covers and both No Reason and Mr. Amsterdam as well as all the regular setlist they always play. They could however replace one of the covers with Makes No Difference, but hell it's still a dreamy setlist . I bet it was loads of fun!
yup. hands down, the best set list of the year (and maybe even last). it was very spontaneous that they chose to play both no reason and mr. amsterdam.

would've loved to see no brains and makes no difference as well, but we already got more than 20 songs, so i couldn't complain.

i actually recorded some good quality audio of the show. almost like a bootleg, but of the rare songs. still deciding with matt what to do with it. if they don't use them for one of the updates, maybe we'll do a TNS exclusive.

nic and heather - if you see this, we need to talk.
Zell1010
Billy Spleen

Post by Zell1010 »

drummerlikestevo wrote: it was very spontaneous that they chose to play both no reason and mr. amsterdam.
They played No Reason in Southampton on the 2nd show of the EPA tour. I dno if I'm correct in saying thats the first time they've played it live for a LONG time. They also played it during soundcheck (I was there - I know they did :silly: ). And Amsterdam seems to have been bought back in on this last tour (possibly towards the end of EPA).

I can only see them dropping one song, possibly KOC or My Direction.
drummerlikestevo
Billy Spleen

Zell1010 wrote:
drummerlikestevo wrote: it was very spontaneous that they chose to play both no reason and mr. amsterdam.
They played No Reason in Southampton on the 2nd show of the EPA tour. I dno if I'm correct in saying thats the first time they've played it live for a LONG time. They also played it during soundcheck (I was there - I know they did :silly: ). And Amsterdam seems to have been bought back in on this last tour (possibly towards the end of EPA).

??? wow. this is why i'm not a fan of the forums sometimes.

by spontaneous i mean that deryck rarely puts it on the set, and he even told me the reason why he rarely does it. i know they played it in southampton, and also a couple times this tour. in fact, i heard it even before the southampton show as they played it in soundcheck of norwich, which was before southampton, and they didn't play it that night norwich.

by no means was it predetermined that they would definitely play no reason and mr amsterdam in london. they never decide that stuff in advance. hence, the word spontaneous is highly appropriate.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Zell1010 wrote:I can only see them dropping one song, possibly KOC or My Direction.
Well, they haven't played KOC after Eastpak tour, so I consider it dropped already.

They should drop My Direction for good. Makes No Difference would be good to be played every once in a while, but not in every show. And I would make In Too Deep and Motivation to be played only one at a time, but I don't see that happening.
Zell1010
Billy Spleen

Post by Zell1010 »

drummerlikestevo wrote:
Zell1010 wrote:

??? wow. this is why i'm not a fan of the forums sometimes.

by spontaneous i mean that deryck rarely puts it on the set, and he even told me the reason why he rarely does it. i know they played it in southampton, and also a couple times this tour. in fact, i heard it even before the southampton show as they played it in soundcheck of norwich, which was before southampton, and they didn't play it that night norwich.

by no means was it predetermined that they would definitely play no reason and mr amsterdam in london. they never decide that stuff in advance. hence, the word spontaneous is highly appropriate.
ok thats fair enough. i guess its rare at the moment since theyve only just started playing it again. sorry if i sounded like a bellend.