Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Re: Making of SBM - Text Version

Post by Heather »

11/07/09

charlotteobserver.com:

Whibley typically doesn't let expectations from labels, agents or fans influence him.
He's currently writing “aggressive, fast, darker, intense” material for the next Sum record, and producing songs for his wife Avril Lavigne.

“Life is pretty good, so to get me to leave my life and go on tour for a year and half, (the next album's) got to be something great,”
says Whibley, who celebrates his third wedding anniversary Wednesday.

“I don't want to put out a record that just has some good songs on it. I want to do something that goes beyond anything we've ever done.”
I was at the venue when he went to do this interview...and gave him an anniversary gift when he got back.....sad

odd that the date is the 11th though, cause it was on the 14th
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Wow, Samuel, it must've taken hours to compile all this! Good job man! Really great memories from that, ya know, as someone who's following SBM since the very beginning, it's good memories to see how it all began back in 2008... so long ago damn.

To see how much they sai they're almost done or halfway done and how many times they had 5-6 songs done, then 8 songs done, then back to 6 or whatever... only a few months later Deryck actually said that the songs are just demos and not "fully recorded" and real work on the album except writing hasn't even started and that was already in mid 2009, but he still wanted to release a song for us.

Anyway, it's taken so long. Ya know, with Deryck saying "it's safe to say" that it's coming in 2009.. then summer 2010. Whatever. Who knew then it'll take so long.

Also, I don't remember ever hearing they planned to include Always on the EP. I thought they said before that Always was a leftover from the UH sessions. It also really fits the UH sound, but I think it's better than some UH songs, if so.
pteargriffin
Bunkface

Post by pteargriffin »

wait, so that song that the label said lyrically he went too far and stuff, is that on screaming bloody murder? or is that sadly a song we'll never hear haha
Volted
Bunkface

Post by Volted »

pteargriffin wrote:wait, so that song that the label said lyrically he went too far and stuff, is that on screaming bloody murder? or is that sadly a song we'll never hear haha
Simon wrote:
Volted wrote:yo, that's amazing. thanks.

reading all that, i do remember when deryck promised/wanted to release a song way back when the release was going to be an ep. he said something that the label wouldn't approve because of the lyrical content. do you think it's being released now in screaming bloody murder?

also interesting that 'always' was going to be part of the ep. if that's the case, i would actually consider it a b-side to this album too, and i might attach it to the end of the album if the sounds match.
I think Deryck has been asked about that song he wanted to release a while ago and I believe he said he doesn't even remember which particular it song was or what it was even about.
either we'll never hear it or it will be on the album, we just won't know which song it is. though it would be safe to guess it would be an explicit/controversial song

actually i was thinking before, 'always' might not fit with the rest of the album even if it fits with the ep, probably because it was written before the divorce, and it's a very love/nice/sweet/etc song that might not fit with all the bloody imagery in this album
UltraKolby
Hooch
First name: Kolby
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by UltraKolby »

actually i was thinking before, 'always' might not fit with the rest of the album even if it fits with the ep, probably because it was written before the divorce, and it's a very love/nice/sweet/etc song that might not fit with all the bloody imagery in this album
I believe 'Always' was writen just for the 'Greatest Hits' album. I remember reading that awhile ago in an interview or something.
pteargriffin
Bunkface

Post by pteargriffin »

well if there's ever another fan interview or something, a fan should ask that question and say "is the song the label felt went to far on the record, if so, which one is it
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

pteargriffin wrote:well if there's ever another fan interview or something, a fan should ask that question and say "is the song the label felt went to far on the record, if so, which one is it
Tomi asked that a while ago in Helsinki.. Deryck didn't remember.. he said that he tried to release several songs..
pteargriffin
Bunkface

Post by pteargriffin »

blackhawk1105 wrote:
pteargriffin wrote:well if there's ever another fan interview or something, a fan should ask that question and say "is the song the label felt went to far on the record, if so, which one is it
Tomi asked that a while ago in Helsinki.. Deryck didn't remember.. he said that he tried to release several songs..
ah, fair, well, never mind then, i'll move on haha