Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Re: "Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by Simon »

"For the most part, I think people [at Sum's label, Island Records] thought I was f---ing crazy, and they thought that this was going to be a never-ending record and that I didn't know what I was doing, and it was sort of the Chinese Democracy of punk rock, I guess," Whibley said. "They actually stopped paying for stuff. At one point, we got to the point where I was like, 'I've got two more songs,' and they're like, 'This record is done. You are not getting any more money out of us, we are not going to put any more money into this thing, you're just wasting time.' And I just said, 'All right, f--- it, I'll pay for it.' And I ended up paying for the last few songs for the record.
Wow, this is big news, isn't it?

The interviews keep getting better and better, first the Byron guy, then Exploremusic, but I think this is Deryck's best interview so far for this album and what he describes is exactly what I expected SBM to be. Could not be more pleased with that right now.

Btw. notice that this was another phone interview, which he seems to be MUCH more comfortable with.
Last edited by Simon on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
punkbizzy
Bunkface
First name: Tiago

Post by punkbizzy »

fenderrocks wrote:
dbauer91 wrote:well i'm sure he is a nice guy, but there's not much to indicate that lately. and saying, "oh well he's drunk" is no excuse for him wearing sunglasses during the day and being all gloomy during interviews, and kinda makes my point that he needs help for me. legit, how many interviews have we watched regarding sbm? and how many video updates etc? he's drunk in at least 95% of them, and that's like 2 years worth of interviews we're talking about. he really needs help.
sadly I agree with you, seems like he's really gotten into the "darkness" and the "fuck you" of this album and has concerned me ever since 09. But its just where he is in life now, nothing we can do. And you can say its his responsibility and all, and it is, but it started with Avril, period
You're right...we can't deny the fact that Avril fuked up his life. We can't blame someone for being in certain situations, sometimes it's not easy to get out of some shit...it takes time and help from friends and family...but he looks the kind of person who keeps his pain for himself. This album is a good thing for him, it may be his way to shout his pain out :)
and he looks like he's on drugs...I hope he is not.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Simon wrote:
"For the most part, I think people [at Sum's label, Island Records] thought I was f---ing crazy, and they thought that this was going to be a never-ending record and that I didn't know what I was doing, and it was sort of the Chinese Democracy of punk rock, I guess," Whibley said. "They actually stopped paying for stuff. At one point, we got to the point where I was like, 'I've got two more songs,' and they're like, 'This record is done. You are not getting any more money out of us, we are not going to put any more money into this thing, you're just wasting time.' And I just said, 'All right, f--- it, I'll pay for it.' And I ended up paying for the last few songs for the record.
Wow, this is big news, isn't it?
Yup.. that's what stood out to me..
it's a pretty good interview..
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

"I wrote a lot of these songs in a dark period, because, going through the divorce period was a very hard, dark time."
damn....think thats the first time he's said that...And like I said in my other post, you can see how the divorce affected him, and in some ways, still is affecting him. It's just where he's at right now, a changing point in his life. They do seem like they're having fun, just hope it doesn't get out of hand.
punkbizzy
Bunkface
First name: Tiago

Post by punkbizzy »

ptido wrote:Everyone says Deryck drinks too much but you didn't realize that Tom and Steve are sometimes completely wasted ? Don't talk about smoking, he smokes occasionnally.

But I also agree with you, it's okay to have a hat and sunglasses where you're outside during the summer, but it's not polite do have it inside in January. Yes Deryck is nice and a good songwriter but I think he should stop to think he's better than a journalist just because he's a Rockstar. I miss the time when Sum 41 had the same clothes than the audience.
I think it's not what he means...I think that he is only "hiding" himself from "weakness".
"When you're down, you don't like to look people in the eyes, because they will see that you're down and weak."
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

fenderrocks wrote:
"I wrote a lot of these songs in a dark period, because, going through the divorce period was a very hard, dark time."
damn....think thats the first time he's said that...
Definately was thinking the same. He's not really open about that. I'm glad the album helped him realize things.
dbauer91
Billy Spleen
Instrument 2: drums
Instrument 3: keyboard

Post by dbauer91 »

pteargriffin wrote:sure they drink a lot, but they all do, they're having a good time, i guess you could find some concern in it, but idk, they're all good to me, and i dig their style and all, i dont think anyone needs to dig around acting like they know what this "downfall", they seem like they're having a good time, enjoying life, and stoked on making a record.
deryck's demeanor over the past couple years doesn't seem to reflect that of a person who's enjoying his life.
RileSum
Billy Spleen
First name: Riley
Instrument 2: Guitar Hero Guitar

Post by RileSum »

This subject is such a downer, i'm sure he's fine.
I want to fly, Can you take me far away, Give me a star to reach for, Tell me what it takes, And I’ll go so high, I’ll go so high, My feet won’t touch the ground, its my wings, That pull the strings, I bought these dreams, That all fall down
stevo32
Billy Spleen
First name: Alessio

Post by stevo32 »

I like these last interviews;
about Deryck i think that only people that live with him everyday (Matt or the other Sums) know really how he is. I saw him 3 times live in 2010 and he was always great , with the voice, stage presence etc. he had a lot of energy and he seemed happy, really happy. I think his "happiness machine" is the stage, and everytime they play live he shows it.
Last edited by stevo32 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm my worst enemy
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

stevo32 wrote: I think his "happiness machine" is the stage, and everytime they play live he shows it.
:smug:
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

Either that or the hookers.
- Stevo32

pteargriffin
Bunkface

Post by pteargriffin »

can we get back to discussing the album which is what this thread is actually about
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

We are discussin the MTV interview, isn't that about the album enough?

I just remembered something:
and they're like, 'This record is done. You are not getting any more money out of us, we are not going to put any more money into this thing, you're just wasting time.' And I just said, 'All right, f--- it, I'll pay for it.' And I ended up paying for the last few songs for the record.
May be this is what was actually going on when Stevo had his mysterious accident and they had to cancel touring for the moment?
Remember how the reasoning seemed a little odd (something about not being able to go on a plane rather than not being able to play the shows) and they said nothing specific about what actually happened.
Last edited by Simon on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
- Stevo32

Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Simon wrote:We are discussin the MTV interview, isn't that about the album enough?

and they're like, 'This record is done. You are not getting any more money out of us, we are not going to put any more money into this thing, you're just wasting time.' And I just said, 'All right, f--- it, I'll pay for it.' And I ended up paying for the last few songs for the record.
May be this is what was actually going on when Stevo had his mysterious accident and they had to cancel touring for the moment?
Remember how the reasoning seemed a little odd (something about not being able to go on a plane rather than not being able to play the shows) and they said nothing specific about what actually happened.
Not sure when Stevo's accident was, but it would explain why Cone had to come back to record "a couple more songs" at a different studio than the one they were at previously. I remember the whole "album is 99% done" thing yet the band was still doing updates where Stevo and Cone had come back to record songs.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah, I think they finished recording everything around early March, when Deryck went it to record the vocals by himself in his house or whatever, but then around April or May they said on their twitter Cone and Steve came back to record a couple more songs and there was this studio update about it too.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
Simon wrote:We are discussin the MTV interview, isn't that about the album enough?

Not sure when Stevo's accident was, but it would explain why Cone had to come back to record "a couple more songs" at a different studio than the one they were at previously. I remember the whole "album is 99% done" thing yet the band was still doing updates where Stevo and Cone had come back to record songs.
That one was before the 99% done thing though. This is where he was talking about the accident and two new songs that they we're trying to get recorded:
And in the next one they discuss one of those songs (probably, because Steve didn't seem to have heard it up until that point):
But it could also be that Deryck just happened to write those songs right after Stevo's accident happened, may be even because he was worried and got reminded of the time he found this guy dead at the scene of an accident.
- Stevo32

Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Ah yes, I see now. It would make sense, though I also remember the reasoning for the show cancellations to be kind of dodgy (with the whole "not being allowed on the plane thing"). I don't know why they just didn't tell us straight up, but I guess they didn't want to upset the places they were going to tour with an excuse like, "We need to record 2 more songs for the album so we can't come see you."
sumelf
Hooch

Post by sumelf »

Guys, can you tell me what's wrong with 'Chinese Democracy'? I don't know anything about this album.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

The weird thing is that in one of the 2 interviews they did 2 days ago they asked Steve something about his accident and he looked quite suprised and Cone had to tell him what they were talking about
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

sumelf wrote:Guys, can you tell me what's wrong with 'Chinese Democracy'? I don't know anything about this album.
Check out Wikipedia. It basically took forever and nobody thought it would ever be finished
blackhawk1105 wrote:

The weird thing is that in one of the 2 interviews they did 2 days ago they asked Steve something about his accident and he looked quite suprised and Cone had to tell him what they were talking about
Yeah, I noticed that as well, which is actually why I came to think about it again.
- Stevo32